carrying in the Sturgis SD area [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : carrying in the Sturgis SD area

leeinmemphis
07-27-2012, 13:49
Hey everyone,

I am heading to black hills of SD next week for the Sturgis m/c rally. I've been many times but this year I am going by myself and plan on cc'ing at least on the way up/back. I've read on handgun law for all the restrictions of the states I'll be riding through: Tn, Ar, Mo, Ks, Ne, SD, and Wy. I'm not a big partier or anything so carrying in a bar or while drinking isn't a problem(don't even think I had a beer while out there last year) but was curious if there is anything I need to keep an eye out for regulation wise that I may have missed? Those times when I visit a place that serves alcohol and it's not legal to carry on premises I plan on locking the g19 in my bike. With all of the vendors/people walking the streets of Sturgis I'm curious if it's even a good idea to carry while just walking through downtown. Thanks.

Mr.Macaw
07-27-2012, 17:30
I am from Kansas and I carry a list of states that recognize Kansas ccw permits. From the list of the states you will go through are all covered by the Kanas permit except for Wy.. I wouldn't carry one there without checking with them. You should get a list of States that recognize your States CCW permits, it may be different from Kansas.

unit1069
07-31-2012, 16:34
I agree that you should carefully check with So. Dakota and local laws about CCW or openly carrying in Sturgis.

Once upon a time I'd say a good number of outlaw bikers were packing illegally but in recent years the rally has morphed into a somewhat physical exhibitionist mom-and-pop event so I'd be carefully to keep things simple there.

I would be more concerned with the to-and-there travel while packing.

TeamCorbon
08-02-2012, 09:53
You could always stop in at our new training academy behind the dirt track and talk to the people there about the local gun laws. It's on Short Track Rd