Lead Round Nose or LSWC for 44 Magnum [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Lead Round Nose or LSWC for 44 Magnum

country85
07-27-2012, 14:49
Which would be better in a 44 mag, I"ll be loading for a single shot rifle, general shooting plinking. I don't think I've ever seen a true round nose in 44 magnum, but think they would shoot better accuracy and velocity than SWC's, any advice? The mold's are the same price so that isn't an issue, and both are 240 grain Lee molds.

WeeWilly
07-27-2012, 17:17
I load a 240gr LSWC for my Model 29. Hard for me to imagine a more accurate bullet, the round holes in the target are just a bonus...

fredj338
07-27-2012, 17:23
The only thing a RN bullet has over a FP or SWC is reliability. I don't even like them in a semiauto pistol if I can help it. They don't cut nice holes in papper & suck for terminal balistics.

Highspeedlane
07-27-2012, 17:36
The SWC design cuts cleaner, easier to see holes in paper targets and has a profile better suited for hunting. There's no particular advantage a LRN offers that would make it worth excluding the excellent SWC designs that are out there.

Zombie Steve
07-28-2012, 09:10
I gotta vote lswc, unless you're having issues with it feeding in a lever gun or semi-auto.

country85
07-28-2012, 14:12
Nope, just going in the handi rifle, I've decided to go with the LSWC, but with a gas check notch, just in case I start feeling frisky

WiskyT
07-28-2012, 17:40
Nope, just going in the handi rifle, I've decided to go with the LSWC, but with a gas check notch, just in case I start feeling frisky

I don't have any experience with 44Mag, but I have shot lot's of full house 357mag loads with plain base bullets. GC are expensive and I haven't needed them. I don't know how a GC bullet does without the check installed. Do you have any experience with doing that? I have gotten mixed answers from people who have tried it and I can't come to a conclusion based on what I've read.

And I would get the SWC mold for all of the reasons stated and because it would make Elmer proud. I don't hunt, so I'm no expert, but you could take most any game in NA with a 44Mag and a stout SWC. Maybe not Elk and brown bear, but how many of them would you hunt anyway? And would you use a SS rifle for a once in a lifetime opportunity at a trophy elk or a grizzly looking to wipe the salmon from his beard with you hide? So, for any hunting that you might do with that Handi Rifle, the SWC would take it cleanly.

country85
07-28-2012, 19:18
Very good advice Wisky, Thank you. I'm going to shoot a 240 grain XTP over some H110 for my white tail load, never chrono ed it but it should be around 2000 fps. I'm just worried about leading the crap out of my rifle with full power Cast loads, and it's hard to judge velocity going from pistol data to rifle data on estimated velocity . My lyman book has some rifle loads/data in it but for all thier Cast loads listed they used gas checks. Hell my barrel plugs out at .435 anyway, maybe I should let some lead build up in there for a tighter fit lol

WiskyT
07-28-2012, 19:30
Very good advice Wisky, Thank you. I'm going to shoot a 240 grain XTP over some H110 for my white tail load, never chrono ed it but it should be around 2000 fps. I'm just worried about leading the crap out of my rifle with full power Cast loads, and it's hard to judge velocity going from pistol data to rifle data on estimated velocity . My lyman book has some rifle loads/data in it but for all thier Cast loads listed they used gas checks. Hell my barrel plugs out at .435 anyway, maybe I should let some lead build up in there for a tighter fit lol

I haven't reloaded for rifles with cast bullets, but my experience has shown that it's not velocity, but powder speed that gives leading. 1500fps in 357 mag with Lil'Gun and no leading, 1100fps with Bullseye and I get leading with the same bullet in the same gun. So normally I would guess that with a powder like H110 you could shoot full mag loads with no GC and no leading. But with a 0.435" bore, my guesses aren't even guesses anymore. I have no idea of what to expect with a bore that big. You could find a way to run a 0.436" bullet in it, but the chamber may not allow a loaded round with a bullet that big.

You are in Fred territory now. I would try a few standard loads and see how it does. It might run great and there will be no issues. If it sucks, then you will be PM'ing Fred for help.

Zombie Steve
07-28-2012, 22:29

You slugged the bore at .435? Damn.

country85
07-28-2012, 22:41
O yea, the handi rifle's are known to be over sized, I sluged before I had went and shot it. I slugged it again tonight for S n G's and it acually slugged at .432, and I know it's clean, so I guess it shrunk on me lol, but even slugging that over sized it will still put 6 rounds in a 1 inch group at 25 yards, I'm nervous to see what it's going to do further out though

VN350X10
07-28-2012, 22:43
With that large of a bore, it will probably lead like crazy.
Problem being that no matter what powder, that loose of a fit will permit the hot gasses to cut the CRAP out of the bullet base, & that lead has to go somewhere.....since the bore is colder than the gas temp, the lead will tend to stick on it.
Please keep us posted & good luck.

uncle albert

country85
07-29-2012, 06:29
Thanks ya'll. I'm headed to the range again on thursday. I'm going get some super soft completely pure lead and plug my barrel again, The stuff I was using was a ratio of about 3 pounds of pure lead with about half a pound of wheel weights added in so maybe it didn't conform to the barrel quite right. I'm going to load up some hotter stuff today after work and hope for the best. I didn't get any leading out of 8.2 grains of unique under a 245 gr LSWC, but the barrel was awful dirty and it took about 15 minutes of hard scrubbing with a brush and a lot of solvent to get it back shiny. I'm thinking/hopeing it's just the lube on the old bullets I'm shooting. I got them from a guy I work with and they have this really old looking kinda dry dark red lube on them. He said they were probably 30 years old lol

WiskyT
07-29-2012, 12:45
Thanks ya'll. I'm headed to the range again on thursday. I'm going get some super soft completely pure lead and plug my barrel again, The stuff I was using was a ratio of about 3 pounds of pure lead with about half a pound of wheel weights added in so maybe it didn't conform to the barrel quite right. I'm going to load up some hotter stuff today after work and hope for the best. I didn't get any leading out of 8.2 grains of unique under a 245 gr LSWC, but the barrel was awful dirty and it took about 15 minutes of hard scrubbing with a brush and a lot of solvent to get it back shiny. I'm thinking/hopeing it's just the lube on the old bullets I'm shooting. I got them from a guy I work with and they have this really old looking kinda dry dark red lube on them. He said they were probably 30 years old lol

If it took 15 minutes of scrubbing to get it out, it was likely leading.