Why are you against firearm registration? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Why are you against firearm registration?

Metal Angel
07-27-2012, 20:03
I was talking to a liberal friend of mine (actually he is more of a free thinker than either party, but unfortunately in the US you have to choose one or the other when you hit the booths, and he more often than not votes democrat) Anyway, he is actually a huge supporter of gun rights, loves guns, and is outspoken about it. He was quick to point out that the Colorado theater tragedy was like "fish in a barrell, but fish aren't so easy to kill when they shoot back."

Anyway, now that you have background on him, he told me he thought firearms should be registered. His reasoning is to aid in police investigations and whatnot... Not to mention, we register every other potential liability we own- cars, dogs, boats, etc... If I argue that registration gives the government a record to take away our guns, I sound a little looney. All I could come up with is that our country doesn't need anymore departments that require more taxes and deeper debt.

So what do you think? Why are you against firearm registration? Maybe you are not... If you legally own SBRs and suppressors, you are kind of supporting gun registration... Just a thought.

Deriffe
07-27-2012, 20:13
Registration is the first step required for future confiscation. Granted, won't happen during my life time but it's no one else's business what I have in my gun safe. If you have purchased a firearm from an FFL holder, and completed the background paperwork, the weapon is already in a database. That's why it's important to get a bill of sale if you do a private sale so you have something to fall back on if that weapon ends up with blood on it.

arclight610
07-27-2012, 20:15
Because registration always leads to eventual confiscation.

bac1023
07-27-2012, 20:19
Because registration always leads to eventual confiscation.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

PhotoFeller
07-27-2012, 20:20
Interesting question that I haven't pondered before. I've always accepted the popular notion that gun registration is bad.

Now that I've thought about it, my mind hasn't changed. I take great comfort in knowing that the government doesn't have a record of my firearms. Sad, isn't it.

Knowledge of what happened in Canada, England and Australia still haunts me. I just don't trust liberal thinkers and their political hacks. Gun registration? No thanks.

banger
07-27-2012, 20:23
Registration is the first step required for future confiscation. Granted, won't happen during my life time but it's no one else's business what I have in my gun safe. If you have purchased a firearm from an FFL holder, and completed the background paperwork, the weapon is already in a database. That's why it's important to get a bill of sale if you do a private sale so you have something to fall back on if that weapon ends up with blood on it.

It might not happen where you live, HOWEVER...It has already occurred in New Jersey.

When the N.J. A.W.B. took effect there was NO GRANDFATHERING.. of already existing weapons.

They were simply banned and outlawed.

The had to be turned in to the state of New Jersey or sold out of state, that was the only option.

The same thing for magazines, no grandfathering, simply banned outright.

Learn from the occupied territories, the threat IS REAL!

BTW, Mitt Romney's rah-rah boy (Chris Christie) has done NOTHING for the gun owners in N.J. and in fact publicly supports the A,W.B. and refuses to support a sensible CCW law.

Ljunatic
07-27-2012, 20:28
See attached image from JPFO about the end result of firearm registration

arclight610
07-27-2012, 20:33
See attached image from JPFO about the end result of firearm registration

I like Guatemala's ban on "sharp tools"

Unistat
07-27-2012, 20:35
Sound loony to whom? Registration is necessary for confiscation. I don't want even the possibility of confiscation, so I don't want registration.

Additionally, the other items you mention that we register are not a guaranteed right in the Constitution. We do not have to register our religion or our printing presses.

As for registration aiding police investigations, well, that would be nice if it was true. In reality registration has near to no impact in solving crimes. In Michigan where we do have handgun registration the number of crimes it has helped to solve is zero. In Canada during the seven years of long gun registration, only 62 murders were committed where the gun was used by the registered owner and registration did not help solve those crimes.

I am unwilling to endanger or infringe on my freedoms and rights for so little common good.

Finally, I reject the idea that because I own registered items I am in anyway supporting registration. If I have to register to own what I want, so be it. I will work with the process to change the laws and bear with the infringement instead of becoming a felon.

mortpes
07-27-2012, 20:36
Fight registration. In other countries that became highly gun restricted a common theme in the initial process was registration. In the USA such an attempt would create an underground market such as existed when alcohol was outlawed.