Share your most Accurate Stock G20 Barrel Load [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Share your most Accurate Stock G20 Barrel Load

walrus108
07-27-2012, 21:23
Everyone on here seems to be obsessed with velocity, or at least getting 'full power' 10 loads. Me too. That's what got me into reloading in the first place. i wanted to shoot real 10mm!

But just for the sake of accuracy, smoking or mildly warm (or not), what is YOUR most accurate load for 10? This would be especially cool if this load is also most accurate in the stock G20, since Glock barrels seem to be pretty consistent, but share any.

It might also be cool to share your most mild, fully reliable, and CHEAPEST very accurate load. Maybe it's not your MOST accurate load, but it's darn close, very easy on brass, and made of readily available, inexpensive components.

So what have you all got to share?

Taterhead
07-28-2012, 11:29
Best groups are with a 180 gr XTP. 10.2 grains of Blue Dot. CCI 300. Starline Brass. 1.255" COL. Probably a tie is a 200 XTP with 12.5 grains Accurate no. 9. WLP primer. Starline brass. 1.26" COL. That load is 1150 fps.

For a less expensive option with VERY respectable groups. 180 gr Powerbond FP, 13.5 gr Accurate #9, CCI 300. Starline brass. COL 1.25". That is about 1175 fps. Swap 9.9 grains of Blue Dot for similar results. The Blue Dot loads run about 1110 fps.

nickE10mm
07-28-2012, 17:13
It might also be cool to share your most mild, fully reliable, and CHEAPEST very accurate load. Maybe it's not your MOST accurate load, but it's darn close, very easy on brass, and made of readily available, inexpensive components.

So what have you all got to share?

YEP: 5.5gr HP38 (W231) under a 180gr Rainier PHP, CCI300. I get about 950-1050 (depending on 3.8", 4.6" or 6" barrels) and shoot SINGLE HOLE groups.... cheap, VERY light (like 9mm light) and accurate.

walrus108
07-28-2012, 20:40
This is awesome guys! Just what I wanted to see.

I need to find some AA#9 for sure.

Anybody got any similar loads using power pistol? I have a pet load I like for 40, but the only really accurate load for 10mm that I have ran so far are (new brass only) hot, and using blue dot, which I only feel comfortable checking every charge at that level. I've got 1000+ once fired brass processed and 1000 x-treme 180gr bullets coming. Also have about 150 nosler 150gr bullets. Going to try for one hole loads this time, don't really care if how hot they are, as long as I can crank them out and they cycle my 10mm's every time.

CanyonMan
07-29-2012, 22:37
14.5 grs AA #9. 180gr Remington JHP's. Stock G20. 1.260. CCI # 300. About 40yds.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__0805001426.jpg

10.7grs Bluedot G29 stock 1.260 CCI #300 180gr XTP's. 35yds

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0826001511a.jpg

I get the same with 10.5grs/11.0grs BD as well. Plus a nice fire ball. :supergrin:

I was really impressed with the 180gr REM JHP's. I scooped up about 100 of them out of an ammo can at a gun show some time back for about $18.00. Really did not think they would do much, but man over the AA9 they really worked well.

Chrony down, but these were about 1300+ with the AA9 load above, If I remember correctly from when they were chrony'ed long ago.

So far these to powders, are my favorites and I get very very good accuracy with 11.0grs BD with 180gr XTP's as well in G20/29 all stock. Targets will look the same as the pics above..

No pics at present with the 200gr cast. I'll have to try and take a few..

All these loads also bust up the caliche rocks on the red canyon wall at pretty long range in stock barrel.

Happy with these for now.

Good shooting.

CM

gofastman
07-31-2012, 20:38
12grs bluedot, WLP, Precision Delta 165gr FMJ.
Accuracy is unknown because it incinerates paper targets, then blows the ash apart with a massive concussion, lol :burn:

CanyonMan
07-31-2012, 22:40
12grs bluedot, WLP, Precision Delta 165gr FMJ.
Accuracy is unknown because it incinerates paper targets, then blows the ash apart with a massive concussion, lol :burn:

:rofl:

I always use asbestos paper ! :tongueout:

CM

walrus108
08-01-2012, 18:57
14.5 grs AA #9. 180gr Remington JHP's. Stock G20. 1.260. CCI # 300. About 40yds.

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/cid__0805001426.jpg

10.7grs Bluedot G29 stock 1.260 CCI #300 180gr XTP's. 35yds

http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/yrag5951/stuff%20to%20share/0826001511a.jpg

So far these to powders, are my favorites and I get very very good accuracy with 11.0grs BD with 180gr XTP's as well in G20/29 all stock. Targets will look the same as the pics above..

CM

How does your brass look with those 180gr XTP's with 11.0grs Bluedot? Any smiles at all? I have some new win brass and tons of BD with the same XTP bullets. I actually have a post about where to start with that load. Not much data out for the 180gr XTP's it seems. I was planning on using @9.5-9.7grs 800-x, but if you're having luck with 11.0grs BD, I may just load them starting at 10.5gr BD. In my experience, Glock barrels are pretty darn consistent producing velocity, and (I assume), pressure wise with a given loading. At least what your giving me is better than starting blindly basically.

CanyonMan
08-01-2012, 21:46
How does your brass look with those 180gr XTP's with 11.0grs Bluedot? Any smiles at all? I have some new win brass and tons of BD with the same XTP bullets. I actually have a post about where to start with that load. Not much data out for the 180gr XTP's it seems. I was planning on using @9.5-9.7grs 800-x, but if you're having luck with 11.0grs BD, I may just load them starting at 10.5gr BD. In my experience, Glock barrels are pretty darn consistent producing velocity, and (I assume), pressure wise with a given loading. At least what your giving me is better than starting blindly basically.

I never had a smilely in my life. Buldged hog belly cases from the OEM barrel yes, smileys .. NO. ;)

There is a host of good load data out there for 180gr bullets for the 10mm. Lee 2nd edition, Hornady vol 6. etc.

Yeh you can run with the 180gr XTP 9.5grs/9.7grs/10.0grs/10.5grs, Bluedot. The 11.0grs is just a touch over max, and actually I have not seen a real difference in that and the 10.5grs BD. Hornady's max for BD and 180gr XTP at 1.260 COAL is 10.7grs.

Starting load for the 180gr XTP in Hornady #6, is 7.5grs for 950fps out of a 5" Delta Elite, then, working on up to 10.7grs max for 1250fps in 5" Delta Elite.

The 200gr XTP in the same Hornady Vol #6, is 6.9grs BD for 850fps all the way through 9.4grs Max BD for 1150fps.

I do run the 10.5/10.7grs BD with the 180gr XTP mostly, and the 10.5 grs BD 'also' with the 200gr XTP at 1.260 COAL. Standard CCI #300 primers. Both of these give excellent results for me as you can see in the target pics.

Also the AA#9 11.5grs to 14.9grs max for 180gr XTP 1.260.
AA#9 9.7grs to 13.2grs Max for the 200gr XTP. CCI #300 1.260.

These loads in the G20 /G29 'stock barrel' have NEVER caused me any issue, and I get the standard hog belly on the six o'clock area of the brass, but have never once had a smilely.. I do run steel rods and 21# springs in both guns...

As I said, there is a ton of load data for 180gr and 200gr bullets in the 10mm. I use Hornady vol#6 because these loads have worked so very well for me over the years, in XTP's and cast as well through the stock barrel and the LW barrel as well.

I have run a ton of the 11.0grs BD with the 180gr XTP, 1.260 CCI #300, in both the G20/29, and again, NO problems other than the standard hog belly in the OEM barrel. I only use the LW barrel to save brass life. I get all the accuracy I need as you can see in the targets above, at 35 and 40, and 50 and 100yds..with the oem barrel.

I am not an 800X fan because the powder is unstable and I do not trust it. (my experience).

I do not like Long Shot, because to stay with the Hornady load data for an "XTP" bullet as they show, you will get not much more than a 40S&W load IF you stay with the Hornady manual load data for their XTP.

Going over that data for LS has resulted in high pressure and other problems (for me) and I really put the screws to it and researched it. One may get buy with going 1/2/3grs over max with it, but one day..... !!!! ;)

I like the BD and really like the AA#9 'very much' and these two give me all the vel I need (safely) for SD or for a Hard Cast bullet (200gr) for the Texas deer, should I want to use it for such.

I highly reccomend you look for the volume 6 Hornady manual. The NEW Hornady manual has 'CUT" the load data down quite a bit.. Number 6, Is a really good volume, as is Lee 2nd edition, and Mic McPhersons "Metalic Cartridge Reloading." He is a good friend of mine, and this is a really good load data book, every one needs this one. ;)

Well amigo. Good shooting, and stay safe !

Hope this helps some !

CM

walrus108
08-01-2012, 21:52
That helps a ton. In fact, it's like you were reading my mind!

I have been researching as to what older reloading manuals i should accuire. I was even planning on making a post asking about that subject tomorrow. Now I don't have to!

Thanks for all that really sound advice.

CanyonMan
08-01-2012, 22:08
That helps a ton. In fact, it's like you were reading my mind!

I have been researching as to what older reloading manuals i should accuire. I was even planning on making a post asking about that subject tomorrow. Now I don't have to!

Thanks for all that really sound advice.

;)

More than welcome amigo !

If all you ever get is the Hornady Sixth edition, Lee 2nd edition, and (google up) Mic McPherson's "Metalic Cartridge Reloading" Aslo Speer Manual. And "Stay with the components they reccomend and at the COAL's they give, and the bullets they say use," You will have all you need to enjoy that 10mm, and frankly about any caliber you shoot. There are several other great manuals out there, but pard, if you at least toss out a few $$$ and start with these, you will be WAAAAY OK !

Keep us all posted.
Good shooting !

CM

walrus108
08-01-2012, 22:30
;)

More than welcome amigo !

If all you ever get is the Hornady Sixth edition, Lee 2nd edition, and (google up) Mic McPherson's "Metalic Cartridge Reloading" Aslo Speer Manual. And "Stay with the components they reccomend and at the COAL's they give, and the bullets they say use," You will have all you need to enjoy that 10mm, and frankly about any caliber you shoot. There are several other great manuals out there, but pard, if you at least toss out a few $$$ and start with these, you will be WAAAAY OK !

Keep us all posted.
Good shooting !

CM

I actually just ordered McPheerson's book and am hot on the trail of that Hornady 6th edition. I actually found a steal for both of the 5th edition. How does that one compare to the 6th?

I already have the Lee book. It's my best/most useful manual so far.

CanyonMan
08-01-2012, 22:52
I actually just ordered McPheerson's book and am hot on the trail of that Hornady 6th edition. I actually found a steal for both of the 5th edition. How does that one compare to the 6th?

I already have the Lee book. It's my best/most useful manual so far.

Amigo I do not know about the Hornady 5th.. But I do reccomend you really try hard for the 6th and stay there :)

A warning on the Lee 2nd edition. Ok, They will show (say) 200gr JHP and give a dump load of data, yada yada..

BUT, then you will see it say (as you read on up or down) 200gr "XTP". Now the loads for the 200gr JHP's are NOT XTP loads, and NOT to be used for the load data "where it says 200gr XTP". Make sense ?

Same with 180 gr etc etc... (for example sake). If it does NOT say XTP under whatever weight your looking at, then it is NOT supposd to be used 'with the XTP'. Different bullets have different bearing surface's (shanks) and mixing components can be hazardous (sp) to your health. So just watch in the LEE 2nd ed, that when you find your 'bullet weight" for (say 10mm) that you use the data under XTP, 'if that is what your using', and 'do not' substitute an XTP for where it says just plain "JHP."

THAT, is why it is good my friend to have 'several other manuals', so you can cross refference them and come out smellin good ! ;)

Example: Hodgdon gives a Longshot load in 10mm for a "Sierra bullet" not the XTP. Substituting these is not a wise practice. There is a reason they say Sierra, not XTP.

Wish I could help ya with the 5th edition Hornady. That one, sorry to say, I do not have ! I got about everything else, but not that one. 6th edition should be easy to find, it is one of the most popular ones they got. I use it almost more than any of the others 'for this bullet' in any caliber hand gun, and also for my 7mm Rem mag and other rifles, using Hornady bullets.

You'll be fine, and are on the right track. Be patient, be encouraged, and it will all fall in place amigo ! Your doin fine...

We're all here to help ya, so holler if ya need something. We may be giving you a shout for help one of these day as well... ;)

Well bed time.
Got a long day starting early....,.

Catch y'all tomorrow !

CM

walrus108
08-02-2012, 18:55
I went ahead and ordered that 5th edition. For $15, how could I lose? As soon as I find one, I'll get the 6th also. Figure it's best to have the most data as possible anyhow.

CanyonMan
08-02-2012, 20:07
I went ahead and ordered that 5th edition. For $15, how could I lose? As soon as I find one, I'll get the 6th also. Figure it's best to have the most data as possible anyhow.

There ya go !! ;)

Well I gave you starting to max loads on BD and AA#9 for the 180gr XTP in the '6th edition," and the same for the 200gr as well.... So, See how your 5th stacks up against that my friend. ;)

You'll do fine ! :cool:

Let us hear from ya.

CM