Interesting S&P Item…IPOD Nano, works too! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Interesting S&P Item…IPOD Nano, works too!

G29Reload
07-28-2012, 10:39
IPOD Nano.

No, I'm not kidding.

I bought one to keep my sanity at work when I found out it has an on-board FM radio.

Thing is the size of a matchbook. They make wrist straps so it looks like a watch.

Without appearing dorky, you can stay plugged into your local news station in case something breaks.

You hook in the earplugs, thread it up your shirtsleeve so its out of sight. I hook one ear with one side of the head piece, and the other earpiece I just stuff down the front of my shirt.

It lasts about 6 straight hours on radio. If you were out and about and want to stay connected to event,s its a low profile way to roll. Rechargeable too! That's the main reason I bought it since I'd be using it every day, who wants to go thru boatloads of batteries.

The earphone cord functions as an antenna, and in a lousy steel frame building, Rush Limbaugh comes in loud and clear. Radio works REALLY well. Surprised, one purchase I will not be returning, this one's a keeper.

cowboy1964
07-29-2012, 02:18
My old Nokia had FM built in I believe. That is a nice feature. I'm really surprised iPhones don't have them but at least you can achieve the same thing over the Internet.

TangoFoxtrot
07-29-2012, 04:21
My old Nokia had FM built in I believe. That is a nice feature. I'm really surprised iPhones don't have them but at least you can achieve the same thing over the Internet.

Apple gives you nothing it can't make a buck on.

Bren
07-29-2012, 05:20
Apple gives you nothing it can't make a buck on.

Actually, I've never had to pay a penny for anything I've needed on my iPhone. If there is one product I've ever bought (well, it was actually free when I switched providers) that was far better than expected, that's it. As far as radio, I usually listen to stations in Anchorage, Miami or San Francisco on iheartradio on my iPhone - free app.

lawman800
07-29-2012, 11:23
My Nokia cell phone had a FM feature on it and the phone was from the late 90's. Great feature and I know what you are saying... but I think I would trust AM more in that situation for the talk channels and news, not FM.

G29Reload
07-29-2012, 13:19
My Nokia cell phone had a FM feature on it and the phone was from the late 90's. Great feature and I know what you are saying... but I think I would trust AM more in that situation for the talk channels and news, not FM.

WMAL in DC has recently bought 105.9 and its a huge improvement. When the sun goes down they back off on power on the AM side and its really dicey getting a signal. The FM is loud and clear.

cowboy1964
07-29-2012, 17:55

I was going to say that too, but as pointed out, AM needs a decent antenna.

In TEOTWAWKI you should be shortwaving anyway. If FM is down or not receptionable (is that a word?) then AM probably won't be either, at least on nothing short of a large antenna. :wavey:

G29Reload
07-30-2012, 15:56
I was going to say that too, but as pointed out, AM needs a decent antenna.

In TEOTWAWKI you should be shortwaving anyway. If FM is down or not receptionable (is that a word?) then AM probably won't be either, at least on nothing short of a large antenna. :wavey:

In TEOTWAWKI you should be using whatever works. I don't expect to be solving the worlds problems with the nano, its more for breaking news in SHTF events and a "heads up" when something goes down.

Ham radio and shortwave are all at home/car