G29 Chamber [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : G29 Chamber

blastfact
07-28-2012, 11:22
Are the chambers in current production 29's as sloppy loose as the one in my never shot useless OEM G20?

I would really like to pickup a new 29SF in the next few weeks. But If I'm going to have to go buy a new barrel for it. I may well pass on it and get a Shield or M&P9C.

I still have my 9x25 project to kick off. And it's barrel will be bought.

_The_Shadow
07-28-2012, 19:03
The chamber on my G-29 FS (not SF) 3rd gen is fairly well supported...

attrapereves
07-28-2012, 19:58
I do recall seeing a post on here with different OEM barrels over the years and how chamber support has gotten progressively better.

nickE10mm
07-29-2012, 16:06
My TAN-xxx G29SF has seen some stout loads through it and nary a problem. Slight bulge but nothing too crazy. I'm happy

blastfact
07-30-2012, 17:43
Well,,, I thought I had read that the G29 Chamber seemed to be a tad tighter than the G20 Chambers. 3rd Gen that is.

Yes I would agree the 3rd Gen Chambers have more support than 1st and 2nd Gens. But there still sloppy loose beyond sanity. My OEM G20 Chamber is awful in my opinion. I can put a piece of shot / fire formed brass out of my LW Barrel in and it still rattles around in the near worthless OEM G20 Chamber. Theres .010+" slop in that useless chamber.

None of my semi auto pistol's have a chamber as sloppy as my G20's OEM chamber. Not a one. Thus why I've never shot the crap barrel.

I just hate having to go out, buy a G29 and order a barrel for it cause Glock has some whacked out euro trash spec and design theory. I didn't mind it to much for the G20. But that was still money need not be spent if Glock just did it right to start with.

G-30Jet
07-30-2012, 21:25
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Some of us actually like the pursuit of working up loads. :)

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!

Ermytraining
07-31-2012, 18:48
These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.

WeeWilly
07-31-2012, 20:11
I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.

JeremyInMT
08-01-2012, 09:51
I have a KKM barrel for my G20. There might be a tiny bit less bulge from this barrel when loading max loads, but the difference is not enough for me to take the time to swap barrels from stock these days. I shoot all my loads (hot and not) through my stock G20SF and G29SF barrels. Both guns are pretty recent manufacturer (last year or so). I get slightly better accuracy from my stock barrels. I do run a 22lb ISMI captive RSA on my G20. The G29SF came with the newer style Gen 4 RSA, works perfectly regardless of load levels I throw at it, the slide has never contacted the frame on my G29SF, regardless of load level.

Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.

WeeWilly
08-01-2012, 10:03
Do you have a kkm for the 29sf as well? how does it fare with accuracy? i had been thinking about getting one due to how my stock barrel is a bit wild with hard cast bullets.

I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.

gator378
08-02-2012, 15:50
Glock has carried over the reliability thought into all their weapons. Yes the chambers are loose. Yes the newer gen 3 weapons have better support for the critical pressure ring area. Tight or match barrels are just that. Reliability with "all" loads will indeed suffer. You will have to tune your loads for your particular weapon. Bullet ogive and profile are a big contributor to reloading very feed-able ammo.

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best!
Barstow still going. My G20 has the Barstow and as soon as I save up the money it will get a 6inch Barstow. Never has a problem or a smiley and I load 200 grains close to 1200 fps.

JeremyInMT
08-02-2012, 16:22
I don't, just the G20.

I sure hope people don't misinterpret my posts about KKM. I think they make a fine product, I have just found in my circumstance the stock barrels work fine.

my stock barrel seems to do well for everything but hardcast. with hardcast 200gr DT, it's all over the place.

alwaysshootin
08-02-2012, 16:23
I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!:wavey:

blastfact
08-02-2012, 17:13
These are very different from a nine mm. Not sure why that would be your next choice. M&P 9 has its own set of issues as well. Factory trigger is nothing like that of a Glock.

I have a M&P 9mm Talo and a .45 FS. There great pistols! The triggers can be delt with very easily with a stone. The grit some have can be taken out with a fine fiber wheel. At no cost to the shooter if they have the simple tools and skill set to do it. None of mine unlock early. They have good guide rods and springs in them. The only things they seem not to do well is look ugly, have a trigger reset like a kids clicker toy. And the brass does not make a resizing die wish it was David Copperfield. :dunno:

blastfact
08-02-2012, 17:20
I have a 1.5, or 2nd gen, and a almost new 3rd, and neither bulge brass, like my early, and SF, model G20's did! Hope that helps. Oh, and FWIW, there is no way in " h, e," double toothpick, I'd buy a shield or M&P over a G29!!!!!!!!!! I liked my first 29 so much I bought a second!:wavey:

I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's. :)

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain. :cool:

HOSTIL1
08-02-2012, 17:41
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.

alwaysshootin
08-02-2012, 18:21
I see nothing wrong with a Shield or 9c. Well other than there not 10mm's. :)

I would love to have a shield in 10mm! But oooo would the cry baby's whine over hand pain. :cool:

If I'm going small 9, it will be smaller than those two, first of all, and secondly, the G29 is in no way on the same level as the two previously mentioned. I'll say no more on that subject! Just hard for me to comprehend, how someone, can be considering a G29 purchase, and, if the loose chamber might be an issue, they will opt for a small 9.:dunno:

nickE10mm
08-03-2012, 07:59
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.

blastfact
08-03-2012, 22:09
Guys, I went with a Keltec PF9 as a replacement for my old G29 and ended up selling it after a couple months. There is no comparison. Even though the Keltec was light and thin, it didn't give me the same level of satisfaction as carrying around a 9mm... that I could ONLY use for CCW. If I were in the woods or the field, the pistol was basically useless.

I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all. :cool:

It's mice to have options.

nickE10mm
08-04-2012, 09:08
I have a PF-9 I carry everyday. And it's got over 7k rounds down the pipe. I don't feel under gunned with it at all. :cool:

It's mice to have options.

Very true about having options!

I liked my Keltec but I just have no use for a 9mm. I figure, while I'm carrying a 9mm, I might as well carry my G29sf. I need a pistol that works well for the field as well as for carry.

:cool:

WeeWilly
08-04-2012, 11:12
My brand new G29 has a very loose chamber. I just tried some underwood 180g JHP and every round had the glock smiley.

Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.

alwaysshootin
08-04-2012, 12:05
Interesting, I have shot every weight and flavor of Underwood 10mm ammo through my G29SF and have not had a single smiley.

Glock 10MM's, are like a box of chocolates, when it comes to the barrel chamber support. You never know what you are going to get. Have had 5 of their offerings. Two of the factory barrels were terrible, with bulges, and the other three, have been perfect. Not even the slightest bulge, and, for the most part everything ran through them is the best the 10 has to offer in performance!:cool:

nickE10mm
08-04-2012, 13:46

My same experience.

Opie 1 Kenopie
08-04-2012, 14:16
Gotta run. Me and the 29SF are accompanying the wife to lunch and WalMart!

blastfact
08-05-2012, 14:41
We all know support has improved concerning Glock Chambers. But there over all sloppy nature is suspect IMHO.

I also never said a G29 would be carried concealed. Honestly IMHO Glock bricks wont be carried concealed. Would I carry a G29 open? You bet I would! But I will stay with 9mm in deep conceal.

Members: I like the 10mm. I think it is the best combat round ever developed for a auto pistol. I was a early adopter. I was one of the many that found out the hard way the Colt DE's where wicked great pistols. But could not handle a steady diet of real much less hot 10mm ammo. And they still can't.

The contrast is Glock! Once they started making a 10mm pistol they have stuck by it! For that dedication I bought one. A G20 with a barrel that has good support. But a really sloppy chamber like everything else they make.

I like my G20!
http://www.cleanmpg.com/photos/data/638/medium/g202.jpg

Why? It's the round. It's the 10mm wonderful auto pistol round the Glock launch's with ease if you set it up right. It will let a shooter explore the insane world of 10mm if your a reloader. And it's deadly accurate out to 100 yards with the stock sites.

Just blows my mind how Glock can put this wonderful platform together and blow the barrel and chamber.

CanyonMan
08-05-2012, 14:58
My G20sf and G29sf are both newer gen 3 gray matte type finish, and both have better chamber support and leave less hog belly than did my earlier G20's/G29's. Still loose enough for a 'feed anything combat gun', but yes, the chambers are a tad tighter than the earlier models i have. Ilike them and have never had a problem with any type load in them.

Good shooting

CM

texas 48
08-05-2012, 16:20
Glocks are combat pistols and as such were never designed as match grade weapons. Combat weapons should be able to feed and fire reliably. The chambers are designed with reliability and functionality in less than perfect conditions. All the 10mm glocks I have owned have never had a feed issue no failures to fire and all have been tack drivers.
Glock has tightened up the chambers in the gen 3 20sf and 29sf I own but will hog belly my hot loads but I have not had any smiles. For the range I use my Kkm barrels to avoid the bellies but use my OEMs for carry. If you want a match grade gun pony up for a Kimber or a. Colt but you won't get the reliability or capacity.
Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

alwaysshootin
08-05-2012, 16:32
Glocks are combat pistols and as such were never designed as match grade weapons. Combat weapons should be able to feed and fire reliably. The chambers are designed with reliability and functionality in less than perfect conditions. All the 10mm glocks I have owned have never had a feed issue no failures to fire and all have been tack drivers.
Glock has tightened up the chambers in the gen 3 20sf and 29sf I own but will hog belly my hot loads but I have not had any smiles. For the range I use my Kkm barrels to avoid the bellies but use my OEMs for carry. If you want a match grade gun pony up for a Kimber or a. Colt but you won't get the reliability or capacity.

I agree, but, will have to add, hog bellies do not have to be part of the make up. I can easily live with loose chambers, but not with poor support, and yes, with poor support, requires after market barrel purchase. Like I have said, have owned 5 Glock 10MM's and only two had bad support. IMHO, there should be none. Loose chambers, fine, but full support can, and has, been done with stock barrels. They all should be!! I have a LW 5.15" barrel, and the only reason I do is to meet Ohio's minimum length requirement for deer hunting. Pretty sure, I wouldn't want to have to waste the money only for the reason that my factory barrel destroys brass.

texas 48
08-05-2012, 17:30

I have 2 KKM barrels for my 29sf. 1 3.78in and 1 4.6in. Both are spot on accurate and excellent chamber support and they both have eaten everything they have been fed

gator378
08-09-2012, 12:53
Well,,, I thought I had read that the G29 Chamber seemed to be a tad tighter than the G20 Chambers. 3rd Gen that is.

Yes I would agree the 3rd Gen Chambers have more support than 1st and 2nd Gens. But there still sloppy loose beyond sanity. My OEM G20 Chamber is awful in my opinion. I can put a piece of shot / fire formed brass out of my LW Barrel in and it still rattles around in the near worthless OEM G20 Chamber. Theres .010+" slop in that useless chamber.

None of my semi auto pistol's have a chamber as sloppy as my G20's OEM chamber. Not a one. Thus why I've never shot the crap barrel.

I just hate having to go out, buy a G29 and order a barrel for it cause Glock has some whacked out euro trash spec and design theory. I didn't mind it to much for the G20. But that was still money need not be spent if Glock just did it right to start with.
A Barsto barrel fixed my G20 crappy barrel
Never had a problem or smiley since. IMO Glock barrels are @#$%^&

pasky2112
08-02-2013, 14:25
That's been my experience, as well. I backed off my handloads d/t the terrible brass damage I was getting from my G20FS Gen3 OEM bbl. But then got the same thing with UA loads!? When I bought the 6" KKM for it, my cases were fine. I also carefully worked my loads back up and all was well. I've found the KKM's to be very reliable also.
I understand the loose OEM chambers may have been engineered for reliability for reducing FTF's, but I don't get FTF's with a bbl that has a more supported chamber, either. (KKM). So... :dunno:

G29SFWTF
08-03-2013, 07:53
Yes the chamber in stock bbl may be loose but I understood that Glock did that for feed reliability. It's not like they can't get their process right, they're doing it on purpose correct?

This is not a chamber issue but my experience with the stock G29 (Gen3) barrel was huge tumbling with the Underwood 135 grain. Classic keyhole pattern and I was lucky to hit paper at 15 yards. Higher grains did fine with accuracy. I switched to KKM and it shoots a ragged hole with all grains at same distance.

Bongo Boy
08-10-2013, 12:51
Hmmm...I carry the G29 concealed everyday with no problem at all, often with just a T-shirt and I don't wear big baggy sloppy clothes. But as for the stock chambers, not sure what is meant as 'sloppy'. To me, 'sloppy' and 'poorly supported' are completely different, even if both contribute to improved reliability (or not).

In any case my G29 was purchased new within the past year and I assume it's been manufactured roughly within the past year, too. It's support is virtually identical to my G29 aftermarket barrel, although the LWD is very slightly greater in terms of support.

Over pressure is over pressure, to me, and I've swelled the cases in some of my loads regardless of which barrel they're fired in. The barrels are insignificantly different in that regard. Likewise for accuracy--I'm unable to demonstrate any difference at all in accuracy that I'd attribute to the barrel, mainly since my shooting accuracy can (and does) change during the same shooting session far more than any barrel could be blamed for.

Now, today, shooting freestyle indoors at 15 yds, I was able to put a box of handloads into one single hole. It wasn't a tiny hole, but it was 50 rds in one hole about 2" in diameter. It's a subcompact CCW handgun--that's close enough I think.

As for being sloppy, I have noticed that if I scrape up all the disaster hand loads up off my loading bench (stuff I really should throw in the trash) and take them to the range with the stock glock barrels--they'll all shoot just fine. I've had brass I forgot to base size (the stuff I did swell or smile), necks I crushed and wrinkled, and some just plain butt-ugly loads that I considered safe to shoot...probably. In fact I took about 40 of them to the range today, and while it may have taken a second try on a few of them, they all chambered and fired in the Glock stock barrel.

I know in many cases the reason they were at home on the bench was because they simply wouldn't chamber in the LWD barrel at all. So, that's NOT the barrel I want in my carry piece--I'll stick with the stock barrel. Sloppy...if that's what it is...is exactly what I want. I don't think there's a thing wrong with the stock barrels, at least of recent manufacture.

All 300 rounds I fired today were 0.1gr over published max, should be pushing the 180gr slugs out at about 1,200 fps or so, minimum, and none of them appeared damaged. I believe they will all slide through a full-length die with little trouble and very little change in shape. I just don't see a problem.

I think we all share the same experience with round itself, however--as mentioned many times here and often not really joking much, it's really quite extraordinary. That I was able to shoot 300 rds of a reasonably-substantial load (respectable, I think) in 90 minutes and not feel fatigued much at all says something about the value of the caliber, and maybe something about the G29 as well.

We can all congratulate one another for making an awesome discovery. :)

vaquero aleman
08-10-2013, 13:28
Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the first G29 a 2.5 gen and then it saw the addition of the rail to make it a 3rd gen?

palabman
08-15-2013, 14:27
I have 2 KKM barrels for my 29sf. 1 3.78in and 1 4.6in. Both are spot on accurate and excellent chamber support and they both have eaten everything they have been fed

Does the 4.6in KKM also fit the 20sf by chance? I don't see why it wouldn't. The reason I'm asking is I have a KKM for my 20sf and would like to use it at the range in the 29sf I just purchased.

nickE10mm
08-15-2013, 14:31
Does the 4.6in KKM also fit the 20sf by chance? I don't see why it wouldn't. The reason I'm asking is I have a KKM for my 20sf and would like to use it at the range in the 29sf I just purchased.

Nope, the barrel lugs are different between the G29 and G20

palabman
08-15-2013, 14:58
Nope, the barrel lugs are different between the G29 and G20

Crap :frown:

gator378
08-23-2013, 15:44

Anyway think about what you want, better brass support for hotter loads or a tight match chamber for target shooting or a little of both. I don't know if Barstow is still making barrels or not. They would be the guys to talk to. These tubes are not cheap but they are among the very best! Baarstow still makes barrels. I have one in my 10mm as I will not use Glock barrels in my G20 due to smileys with factory ammo. Never had a problem. Going to get a 6 inch barstow in a few months. Barstow: 605-720-4000

vaquero aleman
08-23-2013, 16:52
I have the factory 3.8", an LWD 4.6" and a KKM 4 3/8" for my G29. I have never hand loaded and I have never seen a smiley on my brass. When I shoot Underwood I use my LWD or KKM barrel just because they were designed specifically to have better chamber support, so why not trust that there is a reason for that.

I don't even have a holster that fits my G29, I carry it in my front pocket everywhere I go. I am too old and too fat to wear tight pants so most of my pants have large and loose pockets, and I don't really care how much the gun prints.

dryfly
08-24-2013, 06:07
I don't even have a holster that fits my G29, I carry it in my front pocket everywhere I go. I am too old and too fat to wear tight pants so most of my pants have large and loose pockets, and I don't really care how much the gun prints.

Do you have one in the chamber when in pocket ?

vaquero aleman
08-24-2013, 06:25
Do you have one in the chamber when in pocket ?

When I carry "one in the chamber" is subjective. If I am unsure about the area I am going to be in, yes, I rack it and put it back in my pocket. But, most of the time, I leave the chamber empty, because I feel more comfortable that way. I have read some of the threads on GT about "one in the chamber". And, I have read several googled articles or blogs about it and I have decided that I just feel better knowing that most of the time I won't accidently shoot myself when I stick my hand in and grab my gun.

It really is not an easy decision to make because there are just too many variables involved with "pulling my weapon out". So I opt for the safer bet. Also, I believe that doing more than just showing my gun can help to difuse a bad situation. If pulling my gun out and then giving it a loud rack can help then I am all for it. I view it in the same way as the idea of racking a shotgun for the sound effect.

Of course, most of my day is in a populated area. Unfortunately, I don't spend any time in the woods now. If I did frequent the wilderness I would absolutely have a holster and my weapon would always be chambered up and ready for the split second draw.

paulbow
08-24-2013, 06:37
My 2010 G29sf smileys badly when shooting stuff like buffalo bore. With the lighter stuff it isn't terrible. No worse than my old Gen 2 G22.