My mother worries me to DEATH!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My mother worries me to DEATH!!!

kcb
07-28-2012, 19:13
She lives in the mountains of western North Carolina. She and her neighbors are often visited by bears. Everytime we go up there I watch for them at night. I would love to see them roam her area...but from the comfort of our bedroom UPSTAIRS or the upstairs balcony.

But my sweet mother has begun a new behavior that scares me and my sister to DEATH!!!

A couple of months ago, she told me that a bear was drinking the nector, which she has for humming birds, from her flower bed in front of her front porch. She OPENED the door and told him to "leave that alone and move on!". :shocked: :faint:

I scolded her and told her that I didn't think she needed to be opening her front door and be talking to the bears.

Well, this morning she told me the same thing. She was having coffee at 6:45 this morning and there was another big bear in front of her porch, so she opened the door again to send him on his way!

:faint:

My sister is flying up there tomorrow, so I called her a little while ago and asked her if she was aware of mom's conversations with the bears. To which she responded...."YES!!!" So we feel the same way. I told her to have a long chat with mom about the Bears and the Bees!

:faint:

BTW, she wants to see the bears too, but from upstairs, safe and sound!

wrenrj1
07-28-2012, 19:26
Kinda sounds like those alligator movies with Betty White...

alexanderg23
07-28-2012, 19:29
Odds are she'll be fine. Way more dangerous driving a car.

CJStudent
07-28-2012, 21:19
If it's black bears, I wouldn't worry too much unless there's cubs around. If there's cubs around, though, all bets are off.

MrGlock21
07-28-2012, 22:11
That's a sweet episode, I like it, especially put on screen in a movie.

But I share your concern. In real life, a tete-a-tete with a bear is something intrinsically risky.

kcb
07-29-2012, 09:24
Kinda sounds like those alligator movies with Betty White...

:supergrin:

That is what my hubby compares it too. Living in Florida, though we do have bears that roam some of the newer neighborhoods in northern central Florida, we are more familiar with alligator sightings! I am always amazed at
what I see people do in close proximity to them!

:wow: :faint:

kcb
07-29-2012, 09:31
Odds are she'll be fine. Way more dangerous driving a car.

I worry about that, too. But she while she does NOT mind taking her car, she always lets someone else drive it about 95% of the time. When we are there, she rarely drives herself, unless she HAS to go somewhere to do her volunteer work by herself....and we drop her off if we can possibly do so.

She is not fond of driving anymore. When she still lived here, she was in a bad accident, not her fault...someone ran a red light....and crushed her arm. So if someone else will drive, she gives in immediately!

kcb
07-29-2012, 09:33
If it's black bears, I wouldn't worry too much unless there's cubs around. If there's cubs around, though, all bets are off.

Hey CJ!!! :wavey: How are you?

There are cubs around, too, so that is what scares us the most!!!

kcb
07-29-2012, 09:37
That's a sweet episode, I like it, especially put on screen in a movie.

But I share your concern. In real life, a tete-a-tete with a bear is something intrinsically risky.

:supergrin:

When I was talking to my sister about it last night, she said, she'll remind her to beware of those cute little black kitties
with the white spot on their back, too! j/k

She's not that far gone yet, but for some reason, she needs to have a little more fear or "respect" for those bears. The place she lives is only a few years own, so they have built on the bear's mountain, so to speak!

(Her place was built in 2006, and she purchased it while it was being built and moved in when it was completed.)

CJStudent
07-29-2012, 18:15
Hey CJ!!! :wavey: How are you?

There are cubs around, too, so that is what scares us the most!!!

Howdy! :wavey:

I'm doing okay; just busy working all the time, it seems like. Not even pulling that much overtime, but the hour-plus drive each way wears on you after a while.

Yeah, if there's cubs around, I'd be very careful. Normally, you can scare a black bear off, but if there's cubs around, they'll fight like crazy to protect them.

BabyTaz
08-03-2012, 16:59
is there a local wildlife official you could call and "report" mom to so that they can be on the look out for her and the bears?

does she also have a bear-proof trash can?

kirgi08
08-03-2012, 19:32
:impatient:

Karen,you of all people ought ta know better.You DON'T encourage bears ta seek food on your property,insert "gators" here.Your mom/sister may enjoy the "wildlife" aspect of such.It WILL end up bad.'08.

kirgi08
08-03-2012, 19:34
Folks,Kat and I live less then 20mi from Karens Mom.'08.

kirgi08
08-03-2012, 19:37
is there a local wildlife official you could call and "report" mom to so that they can be on the look out for her and the bears?

BT,Black Mountain is a small agency and our FWGL officers are stretched thin.The only help they get is from the S/O or FWGl folk and there are not enough ta cover the area.'08.

kcb
08-04-2012, 09:23
:impatient:

Karen,you of all people ought ta know better.You DON'T encourage bears ta seek food on your property,insert "gators" here.Your mom/sister may enjoy the "wildlife" aspect of such.It WILL end up bad.'08.

kirgi,

That is the whole point of the thread is that we are WORRIED
about my mom opening the front door when she sees a bear.

She did put away the hummingbird feeders because the bear
damages them and makes a mess...but she STILL opens the door.

She has NEVER attempted to FEED the BEARS!!! But I love watching the hummingbirds! They are amazing little creatures. I wish we could draw them in our garden...we have tried, but failed. I love to sit and watch them at my mom's!

Back to the bears...
We want to discourage her from opening the door or knocking on the window to get his attention.

If I'm there, and I want to see one, I will QUIETLY look at him from UPSTAIRS and hopefully draw NO ATTENTION to myself.

I do not want to talk to him/her!

We are on the same page, Kirgi! :supergrin::wavey:

kcb
08-04-2012, 09:38

kirgi08' is more informed about the local wildlife officials than I am...

BUT they keep their trash cans in the garage and do NOT bring them out until the morning of garbage pick-ups. Some mornings it is a race...but mom has a couple of neighbors that are very good friends and know her code to her door and vice versa, so the first one up and out, takes care of the others. That gives my sisters and I down here in Florida some peace of mind that they all look after her. If a light isn't on that is usually on at a certain time, they are on that phone or knocking on the door. :cool:

When we've been up there in the past, I've seen what the bears do to the shepperd hooks that hold the hummingbird feeders. Last summer we moved them all upstairs so the bears couldn't reach them (hummingbird feeders)...but for some reason she put them back downstairs. My husband's first job every morning last summer was to bend all of the hooks back into shape for her and the neighbors! :rofl:

She said she decided to put them away after the first bear bent them out of shape, because she also hasn't seen any hummingbirds. (Probably too hot this summer.)

kcb
08-12-2012, 15:13
My sister just returned from NC after visiting my mom.

She sent me a brief e-mail to tell me she's home and that she did see the bears. She sent me this photo she took of a bear waiting to see my mom for her morning coffee in front of her place.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/kcb405/attachmentjsessionidabcwx_NGScleQ5nqEPCKt.jpg

j/k :rofl:

CJStudent
08-12-2012, 16:21
:rofl:

Seriously, any progress on this?

kirgi08
08-13-2012, 07:13
My sister just returned from NC after visiting my mom.

She sent me a brief e-mail to tell me she's home and that she did see the bears. She sent me this photo she took of a bear waiting to see my mom for her morning coffee in front of her place.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c141/kcb405/attachmentjsessionidabcwx_NGScleQ5nqEPCKt.jpg

j/k :rofl:

Didn't fool me,wrong kinda trees. :tongueout:

Glad that it's getting worked out.'08. :wavey: