Book Review: Into the Kill Zone - A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Book Review: Into the Kill Zone - A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force

racer88
07-28-2012, 19:36
I couldn't figure out which sub-forum was best to post this. So, I picked the "Carry Issues" section. Mods feel free to move it where appropriate.

I don't recall where I heard about this book. I downloaded it to my Kindle and finally got done reading it. At 304 pages, it's a bit longish.

In a nutshell, it's about how LEOs deal with using deadly force. The author does a nice job examining many stories (told by LEOs) from various perspectives including:

Training
When they didn't shoot.
When they did shoot.
Aftermath
How it affected their families and friends.

And, so on.

The stories are told by the officers who lived them.

It was interesting to read the various perspectives of multiple officers involved in the same shooting, too. Some were very detailed. And, in many cases, the perspectives (of the same shooting) were very different.

How the officers were affected in the aftermath also varied from nearly no effect to devastating.

Most of us on these forums can only speculate how we'd react in SHTF scenarios. We can train both physically and mentally. Certainly, most of us have not been involved in the use of lethal force. And few of us have had the opportunity to hear lethal force stories from those who have experience. This book is a collection of many lethal force stories.

The book also humanizes LEOs. They're really no different than us... a spectrum of personalities, values, and backgrounds. Their reactions to lethal force situations - before, during, and after - naturally mirror the values, morals, and priorities of any "civilian."

I found this book to be an eye-opening read. I did not find it to be a "page-turning, can't-put-it-down" book. But, during my daughter's horseback riding lessons and my son's hockey practices, I was able to get through the whole book without losing interest. I believe many here would find it equally compelling.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force (9780787973759): David Klinger: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51rPMOtTHsL.@@AMEPARAM@@51rPMOtTHsL

JW1178
07-28-2012, 20:11
Good review.

Patchman
07-29-2012, 07:19
Considering that LEOs have no duty to protect :whistling:... they sure interject themselves into a lot of situations and getting themselves seriously hurt or permanently dead just to protect me, my family and my neighbors.

Thanks, you guys and gals in blue! :wavey:

And thanks for the link. I gotta get this book and read it.

RussP
07-29-2012, 09:46
I couldn't figure out which sub-forum was best to post this. So, I picked the "Carry Issues" section. Mods feel free to move it where appropriate.

I don't recall where I heard about this book. I downloaded it to my Kindle and finally got done reading it. At 304 pages, it's a bit longish.

In a nutshell, it's about how LEOs deal with using deadly force. The author does a nice job examining many stories (told by LEOs) from various perspectives including:

Training
When they didn't shoot.
When they did shoot.
Aftermath
How it affected their families and friends.

And, so on.

The stories are told by the officers who lived them.

It was interesting to read the various perspectives of multiple officers involved in the same shooting, too. Some were very detailed. And, in many cases, the perspectives (of the same shooting) were very different.

How the officers were affected in the aftermath also varied from nearly no effect to devastating.

Most of us on these forums can only speculate how we'd react in SHTF scenarios. We can train both physically and mentally. Certainly, most of us have not been involved in the use of lethal force. And few of us have had the opportunity to hear lethal force stories from those who have experience. This book is a collection of many lethal force stories.

The book also humanizes LEOs. They're really no different than us... a spectrum of personalities, values, and backgrounds. Their reactions to lethal force situations - before, during, and after - naturally mirror the values, morals, and priorities of any "civilian."

I found this book to be an eye-opening read. I did not find it to be a "page-turning, can't-put-it-down" book. But, during my daughter's horseback riding lessons and my son's hockey practices, I was able to get through the whole book without losing interest. I believe many here would find it equally compelling.

Here's a link to it on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Into the Kill Zone: A Cop's Eye View of Deadly Force (9780787973759): David Klinger: Books (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0787973750/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0787973750&linkCode=as2&tag=reupmyma-20)It is appropriate here for a variety of reasons.

Thanks for posting the review...

fastbolt
07-29-2012, 12:48
If you liked that one, try Force Under Pressure: How Cops Live and Why They Die [Paperback] Laurence Blum (Author) .

I've listened to this doctor's 1-day class, I'm Shot, a couple of times. Each time he presents a handful of cops as guest speakers, cops who have survived shooting incidents during which they were shot and seriously wounded, but continued to fight and finally prevailed over their armed attacker.

wprebeck
07-30-2012, 23:50
If you liked that one, try Force Under Pressure: How Cops Live and Why They Die [Paperback] Laurence Blum (Author) .

I've listened to this doctor's 1-day class, I'm Shot, a couple of times. Each time he presents a handful of cops as guest speakers, cops who have survived shooting incidents during which they were shot and seriously wounded, but continued to fight and finally prevailed over their armed attacker.

My wife and I both decided - if the bad guy shoots, we ain't dying until after he does. Barring a significant CNS hit initially, I'll fight until my body stops...but it won't be because I gave in. It'll be because I ran outta blood.

fastbolt
07-31-2012, 01:31
My wife and I both decided - if the bad guy shoots, we ain't dying until after he does. Barring a significant CNS hit initially, I'll fight until my body stops...but it won't be because I gave in. It'll be because I ran outta blood.

Good for you

;)

wprebeck
07-31-2012, 02:26
Good for you

;)

We've got kids to raise, and see the grandkids we'll one day play with. Getting killed by a ******bad doesn't factor in to those plans - and if that happens, at least the kids won't have to worry about a trial for the assbag. He'll be dead, too.