Sometimes my firing pin sticks out, Is this Normal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes my firing pin sticks out, Is this Normal?

TnShooter83
07-28-2012, 20:18
I recently had to clean a Glock 17 (Second Gen) that was very dirt and had a small amount of rust on the extractor plunger rod.
Or what ever you call the rod that has a spring on it in the slide.

Anyways, after putting it back together I noticed that sometimes the firing pin will be left sticking out of the firing pin
hole after I rack the slide back. This happens maybe 30% of the time. I notice that about 1/4" before the slide closes it will pop back in to the slide. Is this normal?

And if it is normal will the rim of the cartridge not damage the firing pin as it slides up the breech face and hits the firing pin?
Or does the pin snap back in before the rim can hit it?

I did do the firing pin test and it passed it. The Safety plunger seems to be working right. I can press forward on the firing pin with OUT pressing in on the plunger and it stays put. I press the plunger IN and tilt the slide muzzle down and the firing pin slides out and stick out.

Brad55102
07-28-2012, 20:36
yup..

TnShooter83
07-28-2012, 20:42
yup..

Yup, it's normal?

Or Yup, it will cause damage and maybe cause even a slam fire?

BlackDobe
07-28-2012, 20:45
It's normal.

Patchman
07-29-2012, 05:10
It's normal.

Unnerving, but normal.

I also noticed that when I got my first Glock, a G19, in 1999 or 2000. Asked a LE armorer and he said that was normal. Have fired and loaded that gun and other Glocks umpteen times since then and nothing bad has happened.

robhic
07-29-2012, 10:47
... was very dirt and had a small amount of rust on the extractor plunger rod.
Or what ever you call the rod that has a spring on it in the slide.

Actually, there are 2 "plunger rods" with springs on them to be somewhat technical. One is a long rod that butts against the extractor and one is the striker safety plunger with spring that interacts with the plunger and trigger bar. BUT ....

I am more curious about your finding rust on either part. I believe the extractor plunger should be shielded (by its location) from rust-causing stuff. And the striker plunger safety is coated and should also be rust free.

I'd expect rust not to be a problem. Had the gun gotten wet or done rough duty? Just curious.

troysglock
07-29-2012, 10:49
More so in the morning...

GaryC
07-29-2012, 10:54
When you are putting it back together, rack the slide twice and then check the firing pin position. It makes me feel better when I do that ;)

TnShooter83
07-29-2012, 10:56
Actually, there are 2 "plunger rods" with springs on them to be somewhat technical. One is a long rod that butts against the extractor and one is the striker safety plunger with spring that interacts with the plunger and trigger bar. BUT ....

I am more curious about your finding rust on either part. I believe the extractor plunger should be shielded (by its location) from rust-causing stuff. And the striker plunger safety is coated and should also be rust free.

I'd expect rust not to be a problem. Had the gun gotten wet or done rough duty? Just curious.

If you look real close between the extractor and slide. You will see that rod. You can see only the very tip, but you can see it. There was rust on the rod at that spot.

As for rough or wet, I have to say more than likely it has been both. As it was very nasty and the frame itself has plenty of scratches and dings. It is a Gen 2 made in 1990. It's 22 years old and looks like it it's never been cleaned but maybe a few times at best. Looks 100x better now it is cleaned up. No rust any where else.

kashdaddy
07-29-2012, 10:59
normal, nothing to worry about, you are just over paranoid.

Southwind
07-29-2012, 15:17
I notice that about 1/4" before the slide closes it will pop back in to the slide. Is this normal?

And if it is normal will the rim of the cartridge not damage the firing pin as it slides up the breech face and hits the firing pin?
Or does the pin snap back in before the rim can hit it?

About 1/4" before the slide is closed, the "sear" (the ramped up tab on the cruciform) contacts the lug on the firing pin and "half-cocks" it, getting the pin retracted before the new cartridge arrives.

You can see it well in this you-tube animation:

Inner Workings Of A Glock - YouTube

257 roberts
07-29-2012, 15:32
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

troysglock
07-29-2012, 16:40
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Glad someone got it

silversport
07-30-2012, 04:25
Glad someone got it

+1...:rofl:

Bill

vaquero aleman
01-23-2013, 11:00

yeh, maybe when I was in high school.

BlackDobe
01-23-2013, 11:04
High School: more prone to AD.

Pilotdude3407
01-23-2013, 11:53
Giggity

LampShadeActual
01-23-2013, 12:07
The actual cause is dry firing the striker and releasing all tension on the striker spring. The firing pin tip sticks out through the breech face.

If you then simply load a mag and pull the slide back OR lock the slide back and put a mag in and drop the slide, the striker is never retracted to reset the striker/firing pin safety BUT at the same time a round is coming out of the magazine and wants to slide up the breech face.

Most of them will load a round anyhow pushing the striker back. Some of them have the rim stick on the projecting firing pin tip.

Far better when loading after dropping the striker is to work the slide twice and reset the striker to the rear locked by the striker/firing pin safety button. Then the firing pin tip is out of the way when the first round chambers.

The Gen4 guns are worse at sticking the rim on the firing pin than the old ones.

ditto1958
01-23-2013, 12:10

My wife often points that out to me. :innocent:

Green Mountain Boy
01-23-2013, 14:17
This is why I rack the slide a few times after dissasembly just to "reset" everything if you will. I do tis on all guns out of pure habbit.