I need a Myth Buster [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I need a Myth Buster

Gpruitt54
07-29-2012, 17:05
I am considering reloading. I ordered a Lyman Reloading Manual. I will be reloading 40S&W and 9MM for my Glock 27 and Glock 19.

I was talkin with a guy how told me that you cannot reload ammo fired from a Glock because the Glock chamber is made larger then normal. So, when the charge goes off the case expands to a point where you cannot get the case back to specs during the reloading process.

Bust this myth, if it is a myth. If this is true, that means only using new brass and never reloading fired brass, right??

Remember, I no nothing about reloading. I am still waiting for my reloading manual to arrive.

Bust this myth, please. Comments please!

ron59
07-29-2012, 17:09
Busted.

But you do have a problem. You say you're gonna load .40 for your Glock 21? That's a .45ACP gun. So you got something wrong going on there.

The *original* .40 caliber guns had less chamber "support", and those cases did bulge quite a bit. Glock changed that long ago, current .40 models are fine. But that long-since fixed problem still persists for the "experts" everywhere.

Gpruitt54
07-29-2012, 17:11
Busted.

But you do have a problem. You say you're gonna load .40 for your Glock 21? That's a .45ACP gun. So you got something wrong going on there.

The *original* .40 caliber guns had less chamber "support", and those cases did bulge quite a bit. Glock changed that long ago, current .40 models are fine. But that long-since fixed problem still persists for the "experts" everywhere.

I ment Glock 27.

Colorado4Wheel
07-29-2012, 17:20
Total myth.

chemcmndr
07-29-2012, 17:31
If it's a myth, then I guess the last 10,000 rounds that I've fired through my Glocks were all in my mind...

I think what you were hearing was some concern a few years ago from the unsupported chamber in the .40 case causing bulging at the base of the case.

Gpruitt54
07-29-2012, 17:50
So, from what I hearing form you guys, this was an issue with the early 40S&W Glock models. But not with the current Gen 3 and Gen 4 versions.

Can I assume this is a total non-issue with the Glock 9mm models?

michael e
07-29-2012, 18:09
I have a G23 Gen 3 from 2000 2001 that has never seen a factory round other than a few JHPs . All other rounds have been hard cast lead bullets out of a factory barrel. I checked all my 10mm rounds from G20 and G29 and couldnt find any smiley from those rounds either. I load for all my glocks with not issues, I have all gen 3 models legal for me to own in the USA.

fredj338
07-29-2012, 18:13
Talk to that guy about anything else but guns & ammo, pure BS. Not even the early GLocks. Keep your loads off the book max & you'll be fine reloading for the 40 in a GLock, any Glock.

DoctaGlockta
07-29-2012, 18:25
I remember once I wanted to buy some 124 grain 9mm LRN bullets from a reloading store and the lady there tore a strip off of me when I told her they were for a glock.

I never went back.

I'm amazed at the amount of misformation out there at times in the firearms world.

Nanuk
07-29-2012, 19:13
If you are worried the sell a die.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/358543/redding-g-rx-base-sizing-die-kit-40-s-and-w-357-sig-10mm-auto

dkf
07-29-2012, 19:19
Buy Lee 3pc carbide Die sets in .40 and 9mm, they size down further than some other sizing dies on the market. Not expensive either.

The older Glock .40 barrels were cut out more towards the feed ramp so the cases may bulge a decent amount. The newer .40 barrels are supported better. Nothing a good sizing die can not handle though. The guy should keep his trap shut because he is wrong.

shakes
07-29-2012, 20:14
Its has to do with the gen 1 and some gen 2.if you googel unsupported barrels or chambers for glock you will see a difference in lower part of barrel. As to reloading 40 cal, I run my brass threw a lee carbide full length sizing die with decapping unit and dont have a problem.

Decguns
07-29-2012, 20:24
Myth. The chamber on my Gen 1 Glock 17 is a tad more generous than my 3rd or 4th Gen pistols. But, I've been reloading the brass from that pistol since 1988. No issues. It resizes just fine.

El_Ron1
07-29-2012, 21:40
t you cannot reload ammo fired from a Glock because the Glock chamber is made larger then normal.

Comments please!

http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/0/07/Balok_laughing.jpg

racer11
07-29-2012, 21:41
holey moley,,,,, I have a gen 2 mod 23 and always thought the same about not shooting reloads in the gun. So I don't shoot it,,, Now I can, all I need is a Lee die set and some Boolets.

Thanks for this thread :wavey:

freakshow10mm
07-29-2012, 22:07
Total myth.
Agreed.

I've loaded a few hundred thousand rounds without issue. Follow safety and protocol, you'll be fine.

creophus
07-30-2012, 12:28
Total myth. I've loaded thousands of rounds for my Glock 23 with never a single problem.

unclebob
07-30-2012, 13:08
When I got my first Glock being a Glock 22 about 15 years ago. And since then had but sold 2 G, 22, G23, G27 and a G24 that is now a 9mm. I never had a problem with swollen case that I loaded. But when I first started there were some range pickup case’s that had a large and I do mean large bulge. But in the last 10 years or so I do not believe that I have found any range pickup with the bulge. The ones that I found went in the trash. You do not need a U or undersize die nor do you need a Lee or the Redding case buster. I bought the Redding just to see if it made any difference. But then when my G23 came in I gave it to the youngest boy for his birthday. I only loaded and shot about 30,000+ rounds of .40 and never had any problems.

GoBoilers!
07-30-2012, 13:17
I am new to reloading too and I had heard the same "rumors" about Glocks. Glad to hear the un-supported chamber is not the BIG issue the myths report it to be.

I have a follow-up question for you experienced Glock reloaders, if I may go off on a bit of tangent: What about lead in Glocks? Is it a problem in the hex-rifled (?) barrels, or whatever they call them? Or do you just need to be a bit more dilegent with cleaning or watch bullet hardness / speed to avoid leading?

racer11
07-30-2012, 13:58
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good question,,, I'm new to 40 sw myself

Ranger54
07-30-2012, 14:02
Loaded bunches for my G24C, no problems. I have compared support with 17s, 21s, 30s that I own and they are all supported about identically. It's busted!

F106 Fan
07-30-2012, 14:24
There are varying opinions on lead through Glock barrels. Many who have tried it have been successful. Others, not so much. It is going to depend on bullet hardness and powder burn rate (among other things). Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't.

Then there is the argument that it's not a matter of if the Glock barrel will fail but when. I'm not going to take sides in this discussion.

I have tried S&S Casting lead bullets in my G21SF without evidence of fouling. But my test was only a couple of hundred rounds and an argument could be made that a longer test would have a different result. How many rounds between cleanings? For me, it's every time out so, what, maybe 300?

For giggles, I just ordered a KKM barrel for the gun. Now my great hope is that it will chamber my reloads. I don't WANT a match chamber. I want one just like my Colts', Sig and stock Glock: big enough to chamber a bowling ball. We'll see.

By edict, I have to load jacketed for the grandson and I have been shooting those through the Glock as well. Maybe if the new barrel will chamber my reloads, I will get more time with the Glock.

Richard

Gpruitt54
07-30-2012, 15:12
I am new to reloading too and I had heard the same "rumors" about Glocks. Glad to hear the un-supported chamber is not the BIG issue the myths report it to be.

I have a follow-up question for you experienced Glock reloaders, if I may go off on a bit of tangent: What about lead in Glocks? Is it a problem in the hex-rifled (?) barrels, or whatever they call them? Or do you just need to be a bit more dilegent with cleaning or watch bullet hardness / speed to avoid leading?

Hay, that is a good question. I've been thinking about that one myself. Aside from the dangers of molton metal and whatever fumes molten led gives off (Does mosten lead give off dangerus fumes???), It should be a cheap alternative to Cooper jacketed bullets.work cleaning the barrel with led bullets.

Zombie Steve
07-30-2012, 15:33
You know what goes well with myth brass?

Folk lore powder.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1431952&page=2

ron59
07-30-2012, 15:54
Whisky says he has loaded/shot lots of lead through his Glock barrel. Others also.

If you're worried about that, a Lone Wolf barrel is only $110 or so with standard rifling. The money you save shooting lead reloads would pay for that in no time. I have a Lone Wolf barrel I use all the time and love. Not for lead, but I shoot moly-coated bullets and that barrel seems to clean up a little easier than the Glock barrel.

F106 Fan
07-30-2012, 16:01
Hay, that is a good question. I've been thinking about that one myself. Aside from the dangers of molton metal and whatever fumes molten led gives off (Does mosten lead give off dangerus fumes???), It should be a cheap alternative to Cooper jacketed bullets.work cleaning the barrel with led bullets.

Some indoor ranges don't allow lead bullets because of air contamination. It IS a problem. The ranges are required to have air filtration equipment to help mitigate the problem but how much do you want to bet that it isn't working properly?

Outdoor ranges are the place to shoot lead bullets.

I have never tried Chore Boy to clean up leading. I use the Lewis Lead Remover from Brownells.

I get very little leading in any of my .45s and, for my own shooting, lead is all I have ever used (except for the Glock). Once I change out the barrel on the Glock, I will only be loading jacketed bullets for the grandson to use. All of mine will be lead.

Richard

fredj338
07-30-2012, 20:54
There are no lead "fumes" at normal casting temps. There are some nasty smoke when fluxing/cleaning lead alloy duirng the casting process, but open a window, use a fan. Casting is a whole nother hobby & quite rewarding, but unless you have a source of cheap or free alloy, it's not really worth doing to save money.

Gokyo
07-30-2012, 23:04
I think if you are going to reload 10mm you are better off with an after market barrel.

Gpruitt54
07-31-2012, 06:05
There are no lead "fumes" at normal casting temps. There are some nasty smoke when fluxing/cleaning lead alloy duirng the casting process, but open a window, use a fan. Casting is a whole nother hobby & quite rewarding, but unless you have a source of cheap or free alloy, it's not really worth doing to save money.

Cool! As I have not started buying any reloading equipment, I'm researching. But, it looks like Jacketed rounds are the way to go.

unclebob
07-31-2012, 06:36
Cool! As I have not started buying any reloading equipment, I'm researching. But, it looks like Jacketed rounds are the way to go.

Yes they are when you first start out learning to load. After that you start finding ways to save money.

SARDG
07-31-2012, 08:26
Yes they are when you first start out learning to load. After that you start finding ways to save money.
I hope I get to that phase soon...

Goldstar225
07-31-2012, 13:20
I've been reloading .40 S&W for my glocks since '96, using "glocked" brass. Not one problem. I don't load to the max.

As far as lead, I won't shoot it in a glock barrel. Many have reported no problems shooting lead but since I'm using my department issued gun I'm not taking the risk. If and when I decide to shoot lead in the glock I'll buy a conventionally rifled barrel.

IndyGunFreak
08-01-2012, 14:15
I'd love to cast, but... lead is just getting harder and harder to come by and finding it becomes such a hassle, I'd rather just buy FMJ or plated, and avoid it.

IGF