Loading dummy rounds - primers? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loading dummy rounds - primers?

gwalchmai
07-29-2012, 18:41
I need to load up a dozen dummy .45 ACP rounds to practice reloading moonclips and dry firing. I'd like to put something in the primer pocket to cushion the firing pins. I've tried just leaving the spent primers but they seem to drive in and disappear after awhile. Anyone tried silicone caulk or some kind of liquid rubber? Any other ideas?

dkf
07-29-2012, 18:46
Making a faux primer out of some hard nylon or other plastic and pressing it in the primer pocket is what I would do. Of course I have the equipment to make them. Some snap caps use a type of plastic where the firing pin hits the case.

gwalchmai
07-29-2012, 18:51
I wonder if JB Weld would work. Probably be a mess to work with. Maybe some of that solid two-part epoxy.

dkf
07-29-2012, 19:15
I thought of JB weld. Its tough but also gets kinda hard. You could always roughen up the primer pocket on a couple of cases and give the JB weld a try.

You also could get some liquid hard 2 part pourable plastic as well and pour it into the primer pocket. Although it is a little costly and I don't know how well it would stay in the primer pocket.

Keoking
07-29-2012, 19:31
Buy some Snap Caps?

But seriously, maybe you could drip something into a spent primer to toughen it up, then prime it into a used case. Remove the thing in the primer first (anvil?), so you have a nice open space to work with.

unclebob
07-29-2012, 19:37
Find some 45 with a small primer pocket. Get some erasers that will fit in the primer pocket and glue them in, and cut them off flush. The ones I did are still holding up after two years of mild use. Also using nickel plated brass helps in finding them among the spent brass cases.

gwalchmai
07-29-2012, 19:55
Buy some Snap Caps?
:wavey:
I want the dummies to weigh the same as loaded rounds so I can better simulate reloading the loaded moonclips.

Find some 45 with a small primer pocket. Get some erasers that will fit in the primer pocket and glue them in, and cut them off flush. The ones I did are still holding up after two years of mild use. Also using nickel plated brass helps in finding them among the spent brass cases. Yes, I have some SPP brass, and erasers. Also I have some plastic bumpers that might work. Will try and report results.

BTW, and you guys probably know this, but keeping your charge holes polished really helps moonclips slide in and out. Mine get hung up if they're gunky.

samurairabbi
07-29-2012, 19:59
Get snap caps, for a SAFETY reason.

The rule I follow: Dummy rounds should be INSTANTLY differentiable from actual ammo in a cold situation in class or on a range. Dummy rounds made from standard components fail this criterion; it is too easy for a mixup to cause disaster. At the very least, use colored non-bullets if you want to use actual cases; that is what my local PD does for its training dummy rounds.

gwalchmai
07-29-2012, 20:03

The rule I follow: Dummy rounds should be INSTANTLY differentiable from actual ammo in a cold situation in class or on a range. Dummy rounds made from standard components fail this criterion; it is too easy for a mixup to cause disaster. At the very least, use colored non-bullets if you want to use actual cases; that is what my local PD does for its training dummy rounds.As I explained, snap caps will not meet my needs. I appreciate your concerns but I am perfectly capable of making dummy rounds and using them safely. Your local PD has other criteria it must meet.

Thank you.

Decguns
07-29-2012, 20:27
I fill the primer pockets with red RTV (insta-gaskette). Last a long time. If they fall out, a tube will fill 100s of primer pockets. $2 a Wal-Mart.

Colorado4Wheel
07-29-2012, 20:47
RTV SEALANT works great. Over fill it. Let it dry, cut it with a razor.

country85
07-29-2012, 20:56

Be sure to get the gray or the black RTV, I had trouble keeping the Blue not sticking in the case and falling out

Colorado4Wheel
07-29-2012, 22:05
Interesting. I did use the black.

SPIN2010
07-29-2012, 22:16

This works for me in great fashion! Man, those reloaders ... on top of stuff. :wavey:

m2hmghb
07-29-2012, 23:22
I used pieces of pencil eraser in them. If you are anal about dummy rounds you can paint the bullet or drill holes in the case.

sig357fan
07-30-2012, 04:12
I made some up using aluminum cases I found at the range, easy to I.D. if they get mixed in with brass.

I drilled the primer pocket/flash hole just under the size of a machanical pencil eraser, seated a bullet, shot in a dab of RTV and stuck the eraser in until it made contact with the bottom of the seated bullet, let it sit awhile for the RTV to cure and cut the eraser flush with the bottom of the case.

sig357fan

Boxerglocker
07-30-2012, 07:33
I fill the primer pockets with red RTV (insta-gaskette). Last a long time. If they fall out, a tube will fill 100s of primer pockets. $2 a Wal-Mart.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I've made about a 100 of these over the past few years. I take a yellow or red paint pen and make a stripe around the bullet as an identifier.

unclebob
07-30-2012, 08:27
I also cleaned the inside of the case mouth then ran some JB Weld around the inside of the case mouth before seating the bullet. Helps after many times through the gun, in preventing in getting shorter COL.

ron59
07-30-2012, 08:39

The rule I follow: Dummy rounds should be INSTANTLY differentiable from actual ammo in a cold situation in class or on a range. Dummy rounds made from standard components fail this criterion; it is too easy for a mixup to cause disaster. At the very least, use colored non-bullets if you want to use actual cases; that is what my local PD does for its training dummy rounds.

Your local PD department has guys who don't touch their guns until time for their annual shooting requirement.

I have 30 rounds that I made up that I use for my dry fire practice. I don't have ANY primers in them, but I have a Glock dry fire kit which resets and everything. But does NOT activate the striker. It is marked (by the manufacturer) with a permanent red dot on the trigger.
If I see that red dot, I know I'm good to go, gun *cannot* shoot.

I do this, so my gun is as heavy as it is in competition, plus my magazines are "fully loaded" weight, so mag change practice is as authentic as possible.

Snap caps are **** in a semi-auto. They are plastic, and get chewed up in short time if you cycle them through the gun. They don't want to eject easily. I'll take my all metal dummy rounds all day.

You have to be smarter than the tools you are using. And always aware of the inherent dangers of guns/ammo, etc.

Three-Five-Seven
07-30-2012, 15:59
Yup, silicone caulk works great. Put it in, level it with a razor blade after it sets up.

I've used some shotshells for practice done with silicone in the primer hole and they've lasted for several years and the silicone is still in great condition.

Several of my buddies have also done this and everyone sees it as an excellent solution for making practice rounds.

You have good intuition!

vafish
07-30-2012, 18:41
....I do this, so my gun is as heavy as it is in competition, plus my magazines are "fully loaded" weight, so mag change practice is as authentic as possible.

Snap caps are **** in a semi-auto. They are plastic, and get chewed up in short time if you cycle them through the gun. They don't want to eject easily. I'll take my all metal dummy rounds all day.

You have to be smarter than the tools you are using. And always aware of the inherent dangers of guns/ammo, etc.

You need to find some quality Snap Caps, dump the plastic crap ones and get some A-zoom or Pachmayr. They are aluminum and cycle through semi auto's just fine.

I've had more problems with my home made dummy rounds bullet setting back into the case after a few uses. I guess I could fill the case with RTV to prevent that.

As for what to put in the primer pocket, why put anything in it? If you can dry fire a gun with no dummy round in the chamber why would you need to mess around with RTV or pencil erasers. They aren't going to cushion the firing pin that much as soft as they are.

gwalchmai
07-30-2012, 18:59
I found some concrete repair caulk and tried it. I'll report back when it's done. ;)

samurairabbi
07-30-2012, 19:03
As for what to put in the primer pocket, why put anything in it? If you can dry fire a gun with no dummy round in the chamber why would you need to mess around with RTV or pencil erasers. They aren't going to cushion the firing pin that much as soft as they are.
The OP and a followup reply imply that these are to be used in a revolver. That complicates the simple option of nothing in the primer pocket.

gwalchmai
07-30-2012, 19:09
The OP and a followup reply imply that these are to be used in a revolver. Yes, that's right. These are for a revolver. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age... :supergrin:

samurairabbi
07-30-2012, 19:22
Yes, that's right. These are for a revolver. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age... :supergrin:
So true! Better to take out your attacker with graciously selective revolver fire than annihilate him with undignified hail-of-fire spray-and-pray autoloading mag capacity!

But then, there are many who believe warfare lapsed into common-rabble mob action when the bolt action rifle was retired. :whistling:

gwalchmai
07-30-2012, 19:50
Quite. ;)

PsychoKnight
07-31-2012, 05:15
I also cleaned the inside of the case mouth then ran some JB Weld around the inside of the case mouth before seating the bullet. Helps after many times through the gun, in preventing in getting shorter COL.

Yep. Loctite also works if you have that instead of JB.

eracer
07-31-2012, 05:20
:wavey:
I want the dummies to weigh the same as loaded rounds so I can better simulate reloading the loaded moonclips.Seems a bit OCD to me.

No insult intended. But is the weight of the clip really that critical to your practice?

I suppose it is if you think it is.

gwalchmai
07-31-2012, 06:25
Seems a bit OCD to me.

No insult intended. But is the weight of the clip really that critical to your practice?

I suppose it is if you think it is.Yes. Yes it is. Also, double action dry fire has a different feel with a full cylinder, especially when you're only using one hand.

gwalchmai
08-06-2012, 08:59
Concrete repair caulk didn't work so well. I'm going to try RTV next. Red or blue? I don't think they make black or gray anymore.

Colorado4Wheel
08-06-2012, 10:14
Clean the brass with Alcohol first. All RTV is designed to stick to metal so it should work fine. I used black, it worked great.

dkf
08-06-2012, 10:25
Permatex still makes ultra grey and ultra black. The grey is a higher strength firmer formula.

I used this when I changed the differential oil in my trucks. It sets up nice and firm.(quite a bit firmer than ultra copper, ultra blue, ultra black and high temp red) Not the cheapest but is good stuff.
Amazon.com: Permatex 29208 The Right Stuff Gasket Maker, 5 oz.: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41YM90UwnqL.@@AMEPARAM@@41YM90UwnqL

You will have to roughen up the brass to add some "tooth" for the silicone to stick to. A 180 grit sandpaper should be suffcient. Then clean with alcohol, brake cleaner or whatever to remove any oils before applying the silicone.

Enlarging the flash hole so the silicone can squeeze through and puddle on the other side will help to hold the silicone in place also.