Case feeder on the Dillon 550 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Case feeder on the Dillon 550

norton
07-29-2012, 19:16
Last month I posted a report on the Dillon 550 casefeeder.
I generally load 100 rounds at a time, and was getting anywhere from 2 to 4 out of a 100 cases that were feeding incorrectly. I wouldn't discover this until the ram was up by the tool head and the case had been crushed. To remedy the crush, I stopped at thrift store and bought a small wall mirror for $3. I built a stand for it from wood scrap, to hold it upright and also to raise its height. I can now see the #1 station in the mirror and detect any cases that are not feeding straight before they get squashed, and still keep an eye on the powder drop.
Soon I will be switching over from .45 Colt to .45 acp and will report on any changes with the feeder with the smaller case.

Colorado4Wheel
07-29-2012, 19:21
It's a pita to setup.

unclebob
07-29-2012, 19:23
Are you running it at high or low speed?

Colorado4Wheel
07-29-2012, 22:02
It's a single speed. The slider is a pita to adjust and can knock the case out of alignment when it touches it on the way back down.

SonnyCrockett
08-06-2012, 19:25
Last month I posted a report on the Dillon 550 casefeeder.
I generally load 100 rounds at a time, and was getting anywhere from 2 to 4 out of a 100 cases that were feeding incorrectly. I wouldn't discover this until the ram was up by the tool head and the case had been crushed. To remedy the crush, I stopped at thrift store and bought a small wall mirror for $3. I built a stand for it from wood scrap, to hold it upright and also to raise its height. I can now see the #1 station in the mirror and detect any cases that are not feeding straight before they get squashed, and still keep an eye on the powder drop.
Soon I will be switching over from .45 Colt to .45 acp and will report on any changes with the feeder with the smaller case.

I cant get 45ACP to run on my 550 w case feeder,they wobble and fall to far away from the center of the die on the first stage and get slammed ..or squished as you say,a mirror is a band aid,they SHOULD be running as well as 40 or 9MM.......... I need to get on the horn with Dillon,one guy there told me im screwed all 45s run like crap with a 550 case feeder and one guy said it should run,well im no rocket scientist but to me it seems the cam is too short and really needs to push the cases further along

ron59
08-06-2012, 20:49
I cant get 45ACP to run on my 550 w case feeder,they wobble and fall to far away from the center of the die on the first stage and get slammed ..or squished as you say,a mirror is a band aid,they SHOULD be running as well as 40 or 9MM.......... I need to get on the horn with Dillon,one guy there told me im screwed all 45s run like crap with a 550 case feeder and one guy said it should run,well im no rocket scientist but to me it seems the cam is too short and really needs to push the cases further along

All the reasons I stayed away from case feeder with my 550, and just held off until I could afford the 650.

Now I have both the 550 and 650 with case feeder... booyah.

SonnyCrockett
08-07-2012, 02:42
All the reasons I stayed away from case feeder with my 550, and just held off until I could afford the 650.

Now I have both the 550 and 650 with case feeder... booyah.

i feel slighted by Dillon......I am not going to lie,they screwed 550 owners on this one

ron59
08-07-2012, 07:59
i feel slighted by Dillon......I am not going to lie,they screwed 550 owners on this one

All you had to do was the slightest amount of research. I did some Googling, heard way too many bad things.

Some people will do the same thing, and then decide, "hey, it can't be THAT bad", and do it anyway. Then complain. Not saying that's you at all, but for those who do... no sympathy.

unclebob
08-07-2012, 08:07

I know one person that has one and they are very happy with it. But his is set up for one caliber and it never changes.
I could be wrong but I think Dillon has a 90 day return policy. Call them up and ask.

simotek
08-07-2012, 08:22
This is good to know. I've been looking at the 550 and 650 to start reloading. I shoot 45 and 9mm.

F106 Fan
08-07-2012, 08:38
This is good to know. I've been looking at the 550 and 650 to start reloading. I shoot 45 and 9mm.

There are various opinions about starting with a press like the 650. Some folks feel like the first rounds should be reloaded in a more manual way. The 650 can do that if you just drop one case at a time down the feed tube.

The advantage to loading one at a time is that each step can be verified before moving on. When the 650 is running with the case feeder, a lot of things happen at once.

Changing toolheads between 9mm and .45 ACP is fast and easy. The problem is that they use different primer sizes. I would highly recommend buying a complete primer mechanism for the second size. There is a debate about changing out the seating punch. One thought is that the small primer punch will seat large primers just fine. I wouldn't know about that because, so far, I have only used the small primer setup.

If there is any way in the world you can start with the 650, go for it. You won't look back. The only problem with the 650 is the price. It will set you back about $1000 to get going by the time you add in all the options. That's a bunch of money, no doubt, but the press is worth every penny.

Much less expensive, the 550 is the workhorse of the loading community. But it wasn't really designed for a case feeder and results have been less than stellar. It is still a great machine without the complications of a case feeder.

Another thought: There is a bunch of .45 ACP brass around with small primer pockets. Personally, I send that stuff to the city dump where it can rot in peace. If you could find enough to make it worthwhile, you could avoid changing the primer mechanism.

Richard

SARDG
08-07-2012, 08:48
Several months ago I was going through the 550/650 decision. It probably should have been a 650/1050 decision, but regardless, the 550 was out of contention because of the case feeder dilemma and the extra station on the 650 for a powder check or bullet feeder.

I am currently loading 9 and 45 and the case feeder has worked flawlessly - it simply requires change of a drop-in pistol plate between those 2 brass sizes. The CF has 2 speeds but I always use the slow speed.

Unclebob can do 30 minutes or more on the virtues of the 650.

SARDG
08-07-2012, 09:01
There are various opinions about starting with a press like the 650. Some folks feel like the first rounds should be reloaded in a more manual way. The 650 can do that if you just drop one case at a time down the feed tube.

The advantage to loading one at a time is that each step can be verified before moving on. When the 650 is running with the case feeder, a lot of things happen at once...
I know a lot (perhaps most) people continue to say that Richard, but I contend that if you can read and follow instructions AND pay attention to what you are doing, you can start with a full-fledged progressive machine in progressive 'mode'. Sure, there's a learning curve - but take your time in the beginning, and study the manual. Dillon has excellent manuals, I think.

All of this is spoken by a person whose 1st (and completely trouble-free) loads were with Titegroup - on the 650.

simotek
08-07-2012, 09:38
I have a bunch of .45 with the small primers. I can't remember if it was Federal or PMC.

Thanks for the advice. I need to keep doing my research and see what will suit me best. I know the Dillon setups will be very expensive but appear to be top notch. Just not sure if I want to try to keep my setup to ~500 or if I'm willing to get up into the four figure range.

unclebob
08-07-2012, 09:45
I know a lot (perhaps most) people continue to say that Richard, but I contend that if you can read and follow instructions AND pay attention to what you are doing, you can start with a full-fledged progressive machine in progressive 'mode'. Sure, there's a learning curve - but take your time in the beginning, and study the manual. Dillon has excellent manuals, I think.

All of this is spoken by a person whose 1st (and completely trouble-free) loads were with Titegroup - on the 650.

Yes you can install the dies set the powder measure and start loading progressive right off the bat. But if the person starts out setting everything up then loads one case at a time and looks to see what is going on at each stage of the press. Just not what the case is doing but what is the press doing. What makes the shell plate advance? What feeds the primers? Etc. It just gets the person to understand what is going on and if there is a malfunction what caused it and how to analyze the situation faster and better.
The other thing is to read the manual and read it again after you have loaded a couple hundred rounds. If a person does that the press is not as complicated as some people try to make it out to be.

SARDG
08-07-2012, 09:49
...or if I'm willing to get up into the four figure range.
I'm beginning to wonder about the 5-figure range. Good thing I have limited space. :shocked:

SARDG
08-07-2012, 10:00
...looks to see what is going on at each stage of the press. Just not what the case is doing but what is the press doing. What makes the shell plate advance? What feeds the primers? Etc. It just gets the person to understand what is going on and if there is a malfunction what caused it and how to analyze the situation...
That same advice was the most helpful I ever got from a friend here. He said you really have to understand how the press is working - how all the actions are working in sympathy; what each cam is doing, why each part rotates when it does; what each part/mechanism within the press is doing at a given time as relates to another. He said if you get that connection, you will not have a problem. I was able to 'connect' progressively.

F106 Fan
08-07-2012, 11:43
I have a bunch of .45 with the small primers. I can't remember if it was Federal or PMC.

Thanks for the advice. I need to keep doing my research and see what will suit me best. I know the Dillon setups will be very expensive but appear to be top notch. Just not sure if I want to try to keep my setup to ~500 or if I'm willing to get up into the four figure range.

You can't get the complete 650 for anywhere near $500. However, you can get the press for about $570 and you can probably get some dies for $30-$40 (Lee). You would have to build a block or something to get the press up high enough. That is the purpose of the strong mounts.

If you want the powder check alarm (and I highly recommend it), it's an extra $70. But you can look in the case and see if the powder charge looks proper. The alarm is really only important when you are running full speed and you can't do this without the case feeder.

You can buy the case feeder later ($219). Not much later because a 650 without the feeder is pretty crippled. But, still, later.

I recommend making every effort to start with the 650. You'll never regret it.

Richard

Colorado4Wheel
08-07-2012, 15:42
Build the bench the right height or just get a 2x8 and some plywood make a section above about 12" wide for the press and bullet tray (a lid works great). LnL guys seem to make it work just fine.

norton
08-09-2012, 20:10
All you had to do was the slightest amount of research. I did some Googling, heard way too many bad things.

Some people will do the same thing, and then decide, "hey, it can't be THAT bad", and do it anyway. Then complain. Not saying that's you at all, but for those who do... no sympathy.

No complaints from me. I am one of those people who has to see it for himself. With 45 Colt, I get at least 95 % of my cases loading correctly. In school 95% is an A.