Obama talks guns, Democratic leaders duck [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Obama talks guns, Democratic leaders duck

Bren
07-30-2012, 08:23
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/26/politics/obama-guns-congress/index.html?hpt=hp_bn3

Interesting. The president apparently said: "I believe the majority of gun owners would agree ... that we should check someone's criminal record before they can check out a gun seller; that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily."

Is he proposing something like an Illinois FOID card? Since we already do a NICS check, I'm not sure I can figure out what a pre-NICS check would acccomplish. However, post-election, if he wins, this will amount to national FOID's (remember what state hee's from), NICS for all gun sales (or requiring the FOID for all private sales), and a lot more.

Obama is trying to walk the line of letting the anti-gunners know he's going to do something, without creating the massive anti-gun backlash that is likely. The good news is, if Obama fails to walk that line carefully, James Holmes may actually keep him from being reelected.

svtpwnz
07-30-2012, 09:22
I have very little doubt that if reelected, Obama will in fact impose some sort of national FOID BS or maybe worse. However, the closer it gets to November the more I see the Dems loosing big in both houses and the presidency.

Syclone538
07-30-2012, 09:31
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/26/politics/obama-guns-congress/index.html?hpt=hp_bn3

Interesting. The president apparently said: "I believe the majority of gun owners would agree ... that we should check someone's criminal record before they can check out a gun seller; that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily."

Is he proposing something like an Illinois FOID card? Since we already do a NICS check, I'm not sure I can figure out what a pre-NICS check would acccomplish. However, post-election, if he wins, this will amount to national FOID's (remember what state hee's from), NICS for all gun sales (or requiring the FOID for all private sales), and a lot more.

Obama is trying to walk the line of letting the anti-gunners know he's going to do something, without creating the massive anti-gun backlash that is likely. The good news is, if Obama fails to walk that line carefully, James Holmes may actually keep him from being reelected.

This is my guess, the "gunshow" "loophole".

JBnTX
07-30-2012, 09:58
"...that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily," said the president."

As usual Obama is just flapping his gums and not making any sense.

How would any kind of check determine if a person is "mentally unbalanced"?

Aren't medical records protected by the doctor/patient confidentiality?

Unless a person had a prior criminal record, his mental illness would most likely never be detected by any check.

Mental illness is a broad sweeping term that covers a large amount of medical conditions, not all of which would preclude gun ownership.

I'd rather not take a sanity test before I purchase my next firearm.

jeanderson
07-30-2012, 10:13
"...that a mentally unbalanced individual should not be able to get his hands on a gun so easily," said the president."

As usual Obama is just flapping his gums and not making any sense.

How would any kind of check determine if a person is "mentally unbalanced"?

Aren't medical records protected by the doctor/patient confidentiality?

Unless a person had a prior criminal record, his mental illness would most likely never be detected by any check.

Mental illness is a broad sweeping term that covers a large amount of medical conditions, not all of which would preclude gun ownership.

I'd rather not take a sanity test before I purchase my next firearm.

If a person is under treatment by a psychiatrist and that person makes specific threats, the psychiatrist has an obligation to report that to authorities. But only if the threat is against a specific person or group.

Of course, if there's a wacko who is not under treatment, there is no way for the system to prevent that person from getting guns and going bezerk. It sure would be interesting to know what James Holmes said to his shrink.

JFrame
07-30-2012, 10:19
Any time a progressive leftist uses a term like "common sense," my warning lights come on -- because they have repeatedly demonstrated they have none.