Man arrested in CO for taking gun into theater [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man arrested in CO for taking gun into theater

firefighter4215
07-30-2012, 13:58
I didn't see any other threads on this.

A man was arrested and nine theaters were evacuated after someone carried a gun into a multiplex in Colorado, police said.

Read more: http://wcpo.m0bl.net/r/1529g7

Patchman
07-30-2012, 14:06
Guess he's of the "if it's legal, it's always appropriate" school.

Glock_9mm
07-30-2012, 14:10
I have to believe that openly carrying in Colorado in a movie theater was not the best choice given what recently happened. I don't understand why he didn't carry concealed especially since he had a permit.
Scott

Chris Chris
07-30-2012, 14:25
Given that the Olympics are underway, I'll play Judge and hold up a card that reads "9.8" in the stupid/arrogant gun owner games.

His actions may have been legal. But, given current circumstances, how stupid does one have to be to open carry in a Colorado theater? Geez... maybe there are some people that shouldn't be allowed to carry a gun in public.

RussP
07-30-2012, 14:34
There are a number of articles on this. Each seems to have a little more and/or different information.

Man arrested after gun brought into theater (http://www.denverpost.com/dontmiss/ci_21190588/man-arrested-after-gun-brought-into-theater)

Police: Armed Man Arrested At Thornton Movie Theater

Police Say Man Had Gun Visible On Waist (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/31316229/detail.html)

Man arrested for carrying gun into Thornton movie theater (http://kwgn.com/2012/07/30/man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater/)

Man arrested after bringing gun into Thornton movie theater (http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21190511/man-arrested-bringing-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater)

Jagged
07-30-2012, 14:49
One of the articles said that he was arrested for carrying in a beer & liquor establishment. Was he at a movie theater that serves? Is it illegal to carry at places that serve in CO?

But then, an article mentions that "technically" he was arrested for carrying in a manner that caused alarm and fear for others.

Maybe it was the police response that induced panic instead of dispatchers telling the callers that what he's doing is completely legal?

Gunnut 45/454
07-30-2012, 14:51
So he was arrested for LEGALLY carrying his firearm? Just goes to show the anti-gunner scream and the police JUMP! So screaming "A man has a gun" in a crowded theater is legal ! But screaming "Fire" isn't? I should hope all charges will be dropped !:steamed:

Yea it's to bad no one in Aroura had been carrying that night! Mabe so many people wouldn't have died needlessly!:faint: Think maybe Holmes would have rethought his plans if he had seen 10 OCer's in that theater?:upeyes:

firefighter4215
07-30-2012, 15:14
So he was arrested for LEGALLY carrying his firearm? Just goes to show the anti-gunner scream and the police JUMP! So screaming "A man has a gun" in a crowded theater is legal ! But screaming "Fire" isn't? I sould hope all charges will be dropped !:steamed:

Your comparison is like someone screaming "fire" because someone is lighting a cigarette. It's only illegal if there is no fire. The man should've used at least one iota of common sense with this situation. He didn't do any of us any favors, and certainly didn't help the OC crowd. I'm not an OC person myself, but am a fan of the option. Regardless, legal doesn't = appropriate.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dhkaiser
07-30-2012, 15:14
http://ingunowners.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1999&pictureid=12602

What an asshat.

Redheadhunter21
07-30-2012, 15:36
See I guess I look at this differently to me this would be the time to stand up for your right to protect yourself. And he showed it by openly carrying a handgun, now a semi-auto riffle would be the dumbest thing.

JW1178
07-30-2012, 15:37
What exact law did he break?

If he broke the law and it was an arrestable offence, it's one thing, but if it's just to appease the panic-prone, the LEO that did the arrest should be terminated.

dhkaiser
07-30-2012, 16:10
See I guess I look at this differently to me this would be the time to stand up for your right to protect yourself. And he showed it by openly carrying a handgun, now a semi-auto riffle would be the dumbest thing.

I agree it is time to stand up for our right to protect ourselves and our loved ones. However, to walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it.

Glock_9mm
07-30-2012, 16:18

If he broke the law and it was an arrestable offence, it's one thing, but if it's just to appease the panic-prone, the LEO that did the arrest should be terminated.

By what I read above, it appears that this theater sells alcohol somewhere on the premises. I know certain states have specific rules about carrying openly or concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol.
Scott

RussP
07-30-2012, 16:19
It is legal to carry in establishments, restaurants serving alcohol.

gunowner1
07-30-2012, 16:31
Concealed carry could have prevented this.....

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2012, 16:59
I have to believe that openly carrying in Colorado in a movie theater was not the best choice given what recently happened. I don't understand why he didn't carry concealed especially since he had a permit.
Scott

but.. "ITS MY RIGHT!" :director:

What an asshat.

+1

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2012, 17:02

So could common sense.

I agree it is time to stand up for our right to protect ourselves and our loved ones. However, to walk into a theater with a visible firearm of any kind a week after 70 people were shot in a theater, in the same state, well that is foolishness at best. It also suggests nothing more than attention seeking. Pretty juvenile if you ask me.

He asked for trouble and got it. Legal or not. He may claim he was standing up for his rights, I'm not buying it.

Man, you rolled off some zingers in this thread..

Good post :thumbsup:

IGF

IndyGunFreak
07-30-2012, 17:06
Think maybe Holmes would have rethought his plans if he had seen 10 OCer's in that theater?:upeyes:

Yeah, because the threat of 100's of "open carriers" responding made him re-think his plan?

Come on.. Bottom line, I firmly believe this was a suicide mission. For whatever reason, be it the weapon malfunction, he lost his balls, or whatever, he didn't do it. It's the only reason there's going to be a trial in all this.

Chris Chris
07-30-2012, 17:10

Yes, it could have. But, then again, that might have been too sensible, responsible, adult, descreet, and annonymous. You don't get noticed doing that. Ya don't get ta make yer statement :wow:!

My gut feeling is that the DA/State's Attorney... whatever they call the head prosecutor out in CO... is going to find 'something' to tag this 'gentleman' with. IMHO, he deserves to be tagged with something.... even if it's just a 1st degree misdeameanor stupid. I can't imagine any responsible person with a functioning brain thinking it would be "cool" to walk into a Colorado theater openly carrying a gun this week.

The only dumber move would be to loudly ask " When does the Batman flick start?!"

Bflying
07-30-2012, 17:19
I'm not sure I'd go into a theater without a gun, but damn...conceal the thing.

NEOH212
07-30-2012, 17:46

:agree:

cowboy1964
07-30-2012, 18:39
Even if OC is legal there, what a freakin' bonehead move on the OCers part. How stupid is this guy?

unit1069
07-30-2012, 18:45
There are a shocking number of Glock Talk members who seem to think pushing the "I'm standing my legal ground" envelope in the immediate aftermath of a mass murder is an appropriate response to calls for more Second Amendment restrictions.

If this imbecile didn't expect to be arrested then perhaps he was living in a cave and only emerged today.

NEOH212
07-30-2012, 18:54
It's either illegal or it's legal. If it's legal,

Leave him alone for God's sake!

LibertyPatriot
07-30-2012, 18:58
On Saturday night after the Aurora shooting there were two separate incidents in my town where one guy OC'd in a theater. The theater personnel called local police. The responding officers told him to put his gun in his car and he could return to the movie or leave the premises. Local sheriff cited that Missouri is a carry state and until the theater asked him to remove the gun he was completely legal.
The next incident at a different theater was when two numb nuts caused a ruckus and police responded and told them to pipe down or leave. Halfway through The Dark Knight they decide they don't like the movie after all and head to the lobby. Police respond again and discover a concealed handgun and arrest the asshats. They were released soon afterward so I'm guessing it was a legal weapon and he had a CCW. I haven't been able to find out what exactly went down though.

Bottom line. Be careful out there with your weapons. Don't be an asshat.

RussP
07-30-2012, 19:00
The following link contains an interview with James Mapes, the man arrested.

Y'all need to read what he has to say about the event cause some of you are talking outta your, well, you know.

And for all y'all anti-authority types, it also has an interview with the Thornton PD spokesman that you can gnaw on.

James Mapes may not be charged for bringing openly displayed gun into movie theater (http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/07/james_mapes_movie_theater_gun.php)

Cavalry Doc
07-30-2012, 19:06

What an asshat.

Yup. He wanted attention, and now he has it. Now is not the time to make a point. Fruitcake is not helping the cause.

I went and saw batman yesterday, didn't have a problem. Had my G23 and a couple, well OK, three spare mags, a light and of course it jumped in the holster with tritium sights and the crimson trace laser grips. Made at least two other guys carrying in the theater, no one worried about it.

SHHHHHH it's time for the movie. :popcorn:

MacG22
07-30-2012, 19:22
One of the articles said that he was arrested for carrying in a beer & liquor establishment. Was he at a movie theater that serves? Is it illegal to carry at places that serve in CO?

But then, an article mentions that "technically" he was arrested for carrying in a manner that caused alarm and fear for others.

Maybe it was the police response that induced panic instead of dispatchers telling the callers that what he's doing is completely legal?

No issue with carry around alcohol in Colorado.

Fact is, by open carrying in a theater in Colorado right now he made a political statement that can have some real consequences.

1. If he didn't want to face those consequences, he should not have done the act. It doesn't take an engineering degree from MIT to see what was going to happen when he took a gun into a Colorado theater right now. Everyone here is a little jumpy.

He doesn't sound, through initial reports, like a bad guy so it's a tough situation.

2. If the political statement was TRULY important for him, then he should gladly accept the consequences and fight like hell to give good reasons for his actions and to affect the public opinion of his cause in a good way. I'm not sure this was the way to do that, but maybe he's got it in him to use this for the good.

jeanderson
07-30-2012, 19:37

Agreed. If you have a CCW, why open carry? Because you can? Not too bright.

Jagged
07-30-2012, 19:48
Where's a similar response of people drinking downtown after a sad story of someone killed by a DUI driver?

Given how the general public responds to incidents such as this, I do think the man's actions were a bad idea. However, I also think the public's reaction is a bit overboard.

Where do you draw the line as to what is acceptable and not, "too soon" or not?

I can see the difficulty from the dispatcher/LE perspective. You want to squash any possible copycats, but you don't want to work everyone up into a frenzy, nor do you want to smear yourself or your department with improper detainment and arrests.

It's a difficult situation for sure, but I think the real problem isn't with the man open-carrying in a theater, instead it's with the people who would have thought nothing of this man had someone not gone on a shooting rampage and had his face and actions plastered over 24/7 news channels...

Gunnut 45/454
07-30-2012, 20:50
firefighter4215
So doing something that is legal isn't appropriate? So legally preventing a crime wouldn't be appropriate? So when is doing something legally inapprpriate? Why should anyone care if it is a legal activety? So it would be O.K to call the cops on every legal act people do? You all need to get a grip! What better message to send those that will commit these types of crimes- not here ,not now, not ever! As we seen in Aruora when you act like sheep the wolves come! The time for ***** footing around these and other subjects needs to stop - I for one will not, get used to it!:supergrin:

RussP
07-30-2012, 21:39
firefighter4215
So doing something that is legal isn't appropriate? So legally preventing a crime wouldn't be appropriate? So when is doing something legally inapprpriate? Why should anyone care if it is a legal activety? So it would be O.K to call the cops on every legal act people do? You all need to get a grip! What better message to send those that will commit these types of crimes- not here ,not now, not ever! As we seen in Aruora when you act like sheep the wolves come! The time for ***** footing around these and other subjects needs to stop - I for one will not, get used to it!:supergrin:So when are you going to open carry at your local multi-plex theater?

Lior
07-30-2012, 23:04
Vermont carry would have prevented this.
Have been carrying concealed guns into cinemas, concerts and opera houses for years without incident and without ever being made.

JW1178
07-30-2012, 23:29
Of course they aren't going to charge him. Kind of hard to charge someone with something when they didn't do anything. Still, he was put in handcuffs and taken away, probably went through booking, just to appease the ignorant.

Bahhhhh He scared the sheep... he must be delt with!!! STFU and get with the heard, we are heading to the slaughterhouse and don't want any interuptions!

wprebeck
07-30-2012, 23:36
firefighter4215
So doing something that is legal isn't appropriate? So legally preventing a crime wouldn't be appropriate? So when is doing something legally inapprpriate? Why should anyone care if it is a legal activety? So it would be O.K to call the cops on every legal act people do? You all need to get a grip! What better message to send those that will commit these types of crimes- not here ,not now, not ever! As we seen in Aruora when you act like sheep the wolves come! The time for ***** footing around these and other subjects needs to stop - I for one will not, get used to it!:supergrin:

Good. So you'll begin to support all those fun things LE get to do that are legal? Like consent searches, for starters.

firefighter4215
07-31-2012, 05:30
firefighter4215
So doing something that is legal isn't appropriate? So legally preventing a crime wouldn't be appropriate? So when is doing something legally inapprpriate?

As far as I know, the word "legal" is not synonymous with "appropriate." How about the Westboro Baptist Church idiots protesting funerals? Legal, but not appropriate. We could play that game all day, but I have some legal AND appropriate things to do, like go to work.

FuturePharmD
07-31-2012, 05:49
My wife and I went to see dark knight rises the other night. I always conceal carry my 36 and I was wearing it just like every other time we go to the movies. They made her open her purse and look through it to see if she was carrying a gun, but never looked at me twice.
I made sure to double check the doors this time to see if there was a "no gun" sign, and there was not one so I proceeded on.
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they were searching the women's purses, and not paying attention to the men. If you are going to try and attempt to at least give the appearance of safety be thorough about it!
I mourn for the families and friends of the Colorado victims, but nothing our theaters here in Knoxville are doing would have prevented such events. They are simply borderline harassing the patrons.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dhkaiser
07-31-2012, 06:13
As far as I know, the word "legal" is not synonymous with "appropriate." How about the Westboro Baptist Church idiots protesting funerals? Legal, but not appropriate. We could play that game all day, but I have some legal AND appropriate things to do, like go to work.

+1, well said.

crazyasian1
07-31-2012, 06:39

Y'all need to read what he has to say about the event cause some of you are talking outta your, well, you know.

And for all y'all anti-authority types, it also has an interview with the Thornton PD spokesman that you can gnaw on.

James Mapes may not be charged for bringing openly displayed gun into movie theater (http://blogs.westword.com/latestword/2012/07/james_mapes_movie_theater_gun.php)

Crap! Work filter won't let me access the link! Very interested, can someone summarize?

RussP
07-31-2012, 09:28
Crap! Work filter won't let me access the link! Very interested, can someone summarize?Since we cannot quote significant amounts of copyrighted material, it would be difficult. You need to read the comments in context. It's the old "lost in translation" thing.

jph02
07-31-2012, 09:44
My wife and I went to see dark knight rises the other night. I always conceal carry my 36 and I was wearing it just like every other time we go to the movies. They made her open her purse and look through it to see if she was carrying a gun, but never looked at me twice.
I made sure to double check the doors this time to see if there was a "no gun" sign, and there was not one so I proceeded on.
I think it is absolutely ridiculous that they were searching the women's purses, and not paying attention to the men. If you are going to try and attempt to at least give the appearance of safety be thorough about it!
I mourn for the families and friends of the Colorado victims, but nothing our theaters here in Knoxville are doing would have prevented such events. They are simply borderline harassing the patrons.
It's what I call security theater or "feel good" security because it's ineffective, but it makes people think they're safer. They learned how to do this from the TSA folk at the airport whose primary function is to harass the law-abiding, rule-following traveling public.:faint:

Misty02
07-31-2012, 10:45
This is a tough one. The man was doing nothing illegal. If not for the recent massacre it wouldn’t have likely even raised an eyebrow. Because of the recent massacre, what he was doing was not wise either.

Assuming the various stories posted are accurate, I have no issues with the officers responding. I have no issues with the officers questioning him. I do have an issue with him being arrested once they knew he was carrying legally. If the theater owner/manager didn’t want him there, then he should have been asked to leave.

The pole on this one should have been different: http://kwgn.com/2012/07/30/man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater/ (http://kwgn.com/2012/07/30/man-arrested-for-carrying-gun-into-thornton-movie-theater/)

The choices are “yes” or “no” to “Do you think James Mapes’ decision to carry a gun into a theater was the right thing to do?

If it is allowed by law my answer would be yes, but I don’t believe it was wise to OC to a theater at this time. Then again where would it be wise or appropriate? What if it had been at a restaurant or any other place? What if that is the only way a person can legally carry? What is the appropriate amount of time you allow out of consideration for others before going back to conduct that is legal and that was practiced before this tragedy? Whatever the answer is, it can’t be never.

This article just shows people going off the deep end and a similar amount of people being terribly irresponsible with the comments they make and the things they do. A little common sense might help everyone. http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-24/news/32833122_1_movie-theater-maine-man-clark-tabor (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-07-24/news/32833122_1_movie-theater-maine-man-clark-tabor)

Gunnut 45/454
07-31-2012, 12:00
RussP
Haven't been to a movie theater in years - will not pay for the BS Hollyweird is putting out these days- why support those that are supprting anti's and the Obamanation! But I just got back from Wal Mart and OC'd there and no screaming anti's , no Libertards twitching on the floor, and no leo's swarming in SWAT gear! Just another normal OC day! Maybe I'll do the same on the wife's doctor trip to Boise today -right into the heart of libertards ? It could be fun. See what happens when you live where Libertards fear to tred!:supergrin:

CA Escapee
07-31-2012, 12:45
By what I read above, it appears that this theater sells alcohol somewhere on the premises. I know certain states have specific rules about carrying openly or concealed in an establishment that serves alcohol.
Scott

I read the story yesterday morning and it appears that they're backing away from that charge. Was he really charged with that in the first place or, is it a case of the police throwing as much mud at the wall as posssible and hoping some of it sticks. Is it possible to be charged with that if there aren't any laws on Colorado books outlawing it? I really doubt it. I've tried to look around for a CO law prohibiting it. I haven't done a very serious search, but I haven't found anything illegal with regards to the alcohol charge yet.

Bill

MrGlock21
07-31-2012, 16:02

No law from the realm of jurisprudence.

But he clearly broke a law in the field of psychological anticipation.

Not a good thing to have an arrest on the record.

unit1069
07-31-2012, 16:24

I read the link, Russ, but I'm still unconvinced that Mapes wasn't on an in-your-face mission given the T-shirt message and visible gun he was sporting in the aftermath of the Aurora massacre.

I think you'll agree that everyone who exercises their individual Second Amendment rights should also be good-will ambassadors in support of those rights and not provocateurs who end up being poster children for anti-rights opponents.

Question: Isn't it to the advantage of all Americans that those charged with the responsibility of exercising rights that carry potentially deadly consequences exercise good judgement?

kahoys
07-31-2012, 18:19

This!

Brian Lee
08-01-2012, 13:19
If I'd seen a guy carrying in a theater I wouldn't have thought a thing about it....... Aside from maybe thinking that if he'd been in the right place at the right time several days ago, a lot of people might have been saved.

Gunnut 45/454
08-01-2012, 13:58
firefighter4215
So now your equating those crazies with normal everyday people? Saying everyday legal activities are the same with what they do? Come on your sounding like a liberal!:faint:

firefighter4215
08-01-2012, 18:22
firefighter4215
So now your equating those crazies with normal everyday people? Saying everyday legal activities are the same with what they do? Come on your sounding like a liberal!:faint:

You did a great job of missing the whole point of my reply to your post. Let's try again sans examples. Legal does not equal appropriate. Things that are legal aren't necessarily appropriate for a given set of circumstances. Things that may be appropriate aren't always legal, either. In this case, my opinion is that it was not appropriate for this guy to OC. Why scare people to make a point?