Reloading 5.56mm/.223 Rem steel cases. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 5.56mm/.223 Rem steel cases.

Gunnut 45/454
07-30-2012, 16:21
I actually found some reloadable steel cases while out shooting last week. They were still in good shape so I decided to give tham a try- I've never shot any steel cased ammo in any of my AR's . :whistling: So I deprimed and loaded them up with a load of 24.5gr BM and 55 gr FMJ's( not a top end loading).
Took them out an put them through my PSA carbine, have to remember not to use bolt release to load first round. I had to mortor rifle when the first round failed lock up. With use of charging handle fed just fine. Shot 10 rounds down range zero problems. At 100 yards with 4MOA Reddot about 3" group.:supergrin: No split cases, pockets still tight, rims good loaded for 2nd firing we'll see how it goes.:cool:

Foxtrotx1
07-30-2012, 16:22
Sounds like the cases need to be sized smaller.

Gunnut 45/454
07-30-2012, 16:28
Foxtrotx1
I did a full length sizing on them! Could have been some crud in the chamber as I said above zero problems after first round fired.

Foxtrotx1
07-30-2012, 16:29
Ah ok, I missed that. Sounds like crud in the chamber then.

m2hmghb
07-30-2012, 17:49
Steel and brass have different elasticity factors. It could be crud in the chamber and after being sized the steel bounced back more then the brass, or it could be a tighter chamber and so on. I do know I reloaded 45 acp steel over 10 times without an issue, but that is 20,000 psi compared to around 40,000 psi. Good luck!

Boxerglocker
07-30-2012, 18:24
Why in the world would you want to risk damaging your sizing die to load steel cased rifle? Not to mention the danger of loading multiple rounds in a AR of possibly improperly neck sized cases. As mentioned already steel does no offer the elasticity characteristics of brass. Your in risk both slam fires and severely set backed bullets.

m2hmghb
07-30-2012, 18:42
Why in the world would you want to risk damaging your sizing die to load steel cased rifle? Not to mention the danger of loading multiple rounds in a AR of possibly improperly neck sized cases. As mentioned already steel does no offer the elasticity characteristics of brass. Your in risk both slam fires and severely set backed bullets.

The sizing die is a lot harder then the steel case. The steel case is a lot softer then the rifle barrel. The setback issue is there, but not likely until repeated firing.I dont know why you think it would be prone to slam fires.

WiskyT
07-30-2012, 18:59
Did it take a lot of effort to resize them? What brand of cases were they and how easily did the standard primers fit?

country85
07-30-2012, 20:05
I watched a you tube video of a guy who pulls new 7.62x39 tula ammo steel case and loads them with noslers, but I have never heard of reloading fired steel cased ammo. May have to give it a try!!

Gunnut 45/454
07-30-2012, 22:25
WiskyT
Nope once I got enough lube on them they ran through just like brass. One thing I did notice is that the length they are cut too is what they stay at! I guess this is why they don't give great groups cause the cases I have range from 1.752 to 1.760" ! They also seemed to grip the bullet tight, didn't chamfer one case and it shaved the jacket on the bullet.

dkf
07-30-2012, 22:52
I noticed some .223 steel cases at the range the last time I shot. They are a dull nickel color. Not the greyish color of the polymer coated steel cases.

fredj338
07-31-2012, 09:29
I watched a you tube video of a guy who pulls new 7.62x39 tula ammo steel case and loads them with noslers, but I have never heard of reloading fired steel cased ammo. May have to give it a try!!

Not worth the effort, really. I can find brass cases anywhere. I have loaded steel cases in 223 & 45 just to see if it can be done & results vary. It DOES take a lot more effort to resize cases, that is telling me it's not good for my equip. Neck tension will vary quite a bit after one reload as steel work hardens diff than brass. Again, no point really, other than doing it for SHTF. Your gun & gear, your decision, but I think it's penny wise & pound foolish as my grandma used to say.:dunno:

Gunnut 45/454
07-31-2012, 12:40
fredj338
Yea that used to be the case, but in the last few years the brass guys either don't shoot brass or they pick it up. I don't find half the brass I used to. Really though I didn't notice any more force required to size these then brass.

fredj338
07-31-2012, 12:56
fredj338
Yea that used to be the case, but in the last few years the brass guys either don't shoot brass or they pick it up. I don't find half the brass I used to. Really though I didn't notice any more force required to size these then brass.

Not sure what you are sizing on but on my 550 or 650, it's probably 30% greater force needed to resize steel cases. It's easily felt vs brass which resizes quite easily. Again, to each his own, but steel cases were never meant to be reloaded, but shot & recycled.

Decguns
07-31-2012, 12:57
I did pretty good business back in the 90's pulling FMJs from X54R and X39 ammo and loading them with soft points. I resized the necks before loading. But I never could achieve constant neck tension. I tried reloading Wolf X39 cases, which worked OK. But again, I couldn't get decent neck tension on about 1 of ever 5 cases.

Steel cases have a slightly larger capacity than brass, so you can actually load them about 10% over max. There used to be an Australian site with loads for Barnaul cases. I remember the 5.56 velocities were about 5% faster than brass.