USA Glock? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : USA Glock?

Walk Soft
07-30-2012, 17:28
I ran across this on another forum.The guy who owns this is in the Phillipines.So are Glocks now being manufactured here in the states?
Sorry if this is old news.I did a search and it didn't turn up any results.The owner mentioned that the USA Glocks were cheaper in the Phillipines than the Austria Glocks.
http://http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/lexibilly/usaglock.jpg

SCC
07-30-2012, 17:31
yes they are made right here in smyrna ga ... but you can't buy a usa glock in the the us

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 17:32
There are some that have leaked out. A guy in TX just bought one, and that LGS supposedly has one more.

SCC
07-30-2012, 17:35
they sold one to every employee of glock .. they may have sold them off

Walk Soft
07-30-2012, 17:37
Darn.Why can't I ever be the guy with actual news?lol

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 17:39
they sold one to every employee of glock .. they may have sold them off

I heard that too. This was NIB from the factory. Give me a sec and I'll try to find the pics.

JerryVO
07-30-2012, 17:42
yes they are made right here in smyrna ga ... but you can't buy a usa glock in the the us

Can someone explain why. Seems silly we make something here to sell elsewhere and import the exact same product to sell here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

oldman11
07-30-2012, 17:43
Why can't you buy a USA Glock in the USA?

sappy13
07-30-2012, 17:45
I'm interested in why we have to Import them too. Seems like a big waste

Sent from my LG-P925 using Tapatalk 2

SCC
07-30-2012, 17:46
Why can't you buy a USA Glock in the USA?
has to do with import and export laws :dunno:

Walk Soft
07-30-2012, 17:48
Were they only in .40 being that is the "American" round?

SCC
07-30-2012, 17:50
Were they only in .40 being that is the "American" round?
no ...

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 17:53
Ok I copied a few thread posts

(Walk Soft it's from the same forum as the pic you loaded from the guy from Philippines)

Picked up my new Glock 19 today, can't wait to get to the range Friday. Mine says made in USA. Test fire date was only 2 weeks ago. Are the US made the same gun as the Austrian made? Just curious.

Purchased at a local gun shop. $510

I'd upload the pics but Taptalk is not letting me right now. Something about sever issues.

SCC
07-30-2012, 17:57
was a guy on here that posted one want to say it was a 17 ..
and the pic's where very big ..
that was the only usa glock i have seen

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 18:03
Nope this is a 19.

Taptalk us pissing me off. I did the in app purchase for unlimited pic uploads and it's not working. I'll keep trying.

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 18:21
"Failed to connect to image server"

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 18:27
On my MAC now....here are the pics

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/kodiakp/Misc/photo4.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/kodiakp/Misc/photo3.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y223/kodiakp/Misc/photo2.jpg

SouthpawG26
07-30-2012, 18:34
I could be wrong, but id swear that the US polymer frame mold has a rougher surface texture than the Austrian frames we're all more accustomed to.

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 18:47
I think it's exactly the same. He had a frame pic too....but now I'm on my phone again and away from my MAC lol

Bello
07-30-2012, 18:50
Cool glock

greentriple
07-30-2012, 18:52
Very cool!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

stolenphot0
07-30-2012, 18:59
I think it's exactly the same. He had a frame pic too....but now I'm on my phone again and away from my MAC lol

well aren't you just a busy body. Guess you're out hunting new RTFs huh? :tongueout:

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 19:04
well aren't you just a busy body. Guess you're out hunting new RTFs huh? :tongueout:

I just picked up a 22C!

....kidding, I wish lol

stolenphot0
07-30-2012, 19:08
I told you I have a Dremel and will make you one.

kodiakpb
07-30-2012, 19:11
Hey that guy PM'd me back. Turns out that 19 was a gillie and he dropped the price to $350. I told him you weren't interested just like you told me to.

:rofl:

(I'm joking)

stolenphot0
07-30-2012, 19:16
hey that guy pm'd me back. Turns out that 19 was a gillie and he dropped the price to $350. I told him you weren't interested just like you told me to.

:rofl:

lies!

C0untZer0
07-30-2012, 20:45
Can you get the G25 in the Phillipines?

TeeJay37
07-30-2012, 21:10
Nope this is a 19.

Taptalk us pissing me off. I did the in app purchase for unlimited pic uploads and it's not working. I'll keep trying.

Not sure what phone you have, but I think Ohub and photobucket are a pretty good combo. Both free.

alexhartang
07-30-2012, 21:26
You'd think we'd want to buy what's made here in the us, seeing as our economy is in the pooper.

I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six

fastbolt
07-31-2012, 11:11
They've been making Gen3 Glocks in the GA facility for a while, but they're primarily produced for export.

This is so Glock can sell firearms to countries who won't allow importation of firearms from Austria, but will allow importation of firearms made in the US. Trade agreements.

Not a big secret, but not big news, either. ;)

RLZIII
07-31-2012, 14:37
Like fastbolt stated, GLOCK has been making pistols in the United States for a few years now. From what I was told in my most recent GLOCK Armorer's Course, the first USA GLOCK was made in 2004; however, the Georgia factory didn't start producing the models in significant quantities until 2009. It's interesting to see a GLOCK 22 made in the USA, however, as I was told by my instructor that the only guns made in the USA were GLOCK 17, 19, and 26 pistols in Gen3 configurations. Apparently this has changed recently. I'd be interested to figure out more up-to-date and accurate information about this.

The reason that the guns are made in the USA is just as fastbolt mentioned: some counties cannot import from Austria. The guns made in the USA are shipped to these specific countries. So why doesn't GLOCK just make more GLOCKs here so they don't have to import them from Austria? Quantity. The machines here are simply not tooled to make enough USA GLOCKs for the market. They could make all new machines; but that costs money. They could also potentially move the machines from Austria to here; but that could take a ton of money and create a large gap in production times.

In my opinion GLOCK will eventually sell USA GLOCKs in the United States. This just makes sense given that the United States is their largest market by far. It's not as though Austria is a country with very low labor cost (Springfield Armory XD pistols are made in Croatia, which is a country that does have low labor costs, such as China, allowing the company to save money by making the pistols there). So being able to skip the whole importation process would allow them to save money and possibly avoid trouble with the Gun Control Act of 1964 (they could, for some unknown reason, then start selling GLOCK 25 and 28 pistols, stop producing the grooved trigger with trigger bars, et cetera). However, this could take years and years. I think Gaston Glock is one reason why GLOCKs aren't primarily made here; he is Austrian. He wants his product made there. But he is 83 years old now and unfortunately (or fortunately for some) won't be around forever. I honestly believe that once he is no longer has a major role in GLOCK's management decisions, that we will see a transition to USA-produced GLOCKs for financial reasons. I also think that, while GLOCK has a huge law enforcement market share right now, that moving to being made in the USA would cause even more agencies and departments to transition to the pistol (away from competition such as Smith & Wesson's M&P pistol line).

63bmechanic
07-31-2012, 14:44
Can someone explain why. Seems silly we make something here to sell elsewhere and import the exact same product to sell here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

it happens alot, look how many cars ford and chevy build and sell in europe and austrailia that never roll on our soil

mo.glocker
07-31-2012, 14:46
Like fastbolt stated, GLOCK has been making pistols in the United States for a few years now. From what I was told in my most recent GLOCK Armorer's Course, the first USA GLOCK was made in 2004; however, the Georgia factory didn't start producing the models in significant quantities until 2009. It's interesting to see a GLOCK 22 made in the USA, however, as I was told by my instructor that the only guns made in the USA were GLOCK 17, 19, and 26 pistols in Gen3 configurations. Apparently this has changed recently. I'd be interested to figure out more up-to-date and accurate information about this.

The reason that the guns are made in the USA is just as fastbolt mentioned: some counties cannot import from Austria. The guns made in the USA are shipped to these specific countries. So why doesn't GLOCK just make more GLOCKs here so they don't have to import them from Austria? Quantity. The machines here are simply not tooled to make enough USA GLOCKs for the market. They could make all new machines; but that costs money. They could also potentially move the machines from Austria to here; but that could take a ton of money and create a large gap in production times.

In my opinion GLOCK will eventually sell USA GLOCKs in the United States. This just makes sense given that the United States is their largest market by far. It's not as though Austria is a country with very low labor cost (Springfield Armory XD pistols are made in Croatia, which is a country that does have low labor costs, such as China, allowing the company to save money by making the pistols there). So being able to skip the whole importation process would allow them to save money and possibly avoid trouble with the Gun Control Act of 1964 (they could, for some unknown reason, then start selling GLOCK 25 and 28 pistols, stop producing the grooved trigger with trigger bars, et cetera). However, this could take years and years. I think Gaston Glock is one reason why GLOCKs aren't primarily made here; he is Austrian. He wants his product made there. But he is 83 years old now and unfortunately (or fortunately for some) won't be around forever. I honestly believe that once he is no longer has a major role in GLOCK's management decisions, that we will see a transition to USA-produced GLOCKs for financial reasons. I also think that, while GLOCK has a huge law enforcement market share right now, that moving to being made in the USA would cause even more agencies and departments to transition to the pistol (away from competition such as Smith & Wesson's M&P pistol line).
well said,-:wavey:

fastbolt
07-31-2012, 17:24
... From what I was told in my most recent GLOCK Armorer's Course, the first USA GLOCK was made in 2004; however, the Georgia factory didn't start producing the models in significant quantities until 2009. It's interesting to see a GLOCK 22 made in the USA, however, as I was told by my instructor that the only guns made in the USA were GLOCK 17, 19, and 26 pistols in Gen3 configurations. Apparently this has changed recently. I'd be interested to figure out more up-to-date and accurate information about this.

... I also think that, while GLOCK has a huge law enforcement market share right now, that moving to being made in the USA would cause even more agencies and departments to transition to the pistol (away from competition such as Smith & Wesson's M&P pistol line).

I was told that once they have their second production facility up & running (next to the first one at the GA headquarters) their capacity will naturally increase and there may be a further change in the production, distribution & disposition of the US-made guns. Glock is known for playing these things close to their corporate vests, though. ;)

As far as the made-in-USA factor for LE purchases? I'd be surprised if this had much of an impact in the civilian LE market, since they've already established a significant presence (although it's also a much more competitive field ;) ).

Maybe if the military were to become further interested in something other than small numbers for isolated procurements (overseas allied use, etc). After all, Glock did develop that G21 with the M1913 rail system and ambi manual safety (cross-bolt design) when the SOCOM testing was being considered (but dropped back about '05). No reason their US facilities couldn't be tasked to produce Made-in-USA guns for a large military procurement (think Beretta and its US plant ;) ).

Who knows, though?

Last I was told, Glock still hadn't announced a decision on the eventual fate of the Gen3 guns, especially since CA's commercial market requires the continued production of Gen3 models in order to remain on the Approved Roster.

Never say never, and all that ... :)

They could change their minds about anything before the week is out.

Cool Hand Hodge
07-31-2012, 21:55
Yea...well the thing is...Pistols made in the U.S dont have the tennifer finish due to our environmental laws...so lets hope we can still get the Austrian Glocks well into the future...unless you like rust.

Not my guess...i got this from a reputable source within a major arms company. Hence the Walther p99s had it and the S&W versions did not...or so it went

TeeJay37
07-31-2012, 22:21
Yea...well the thing is...Pistols made in the U.S dont have the tennifer finish due to our environmental laws...so lets hope we can still get the Austrian Glocks well into the future...unless you like rust.

Not my guess...i got this from a reputable source within a major arms company. Hence the Walther p99s had it and the S&W versions did not...or so it went

Damn EPA.

Cool Hand Hodge
07-31-2012, 22:25
we can a be a touch over zealous...i mean i dont think tennifer was killing baby seals or making the ghetto any worse...Austria seems nice and they can apply it there

RevoZak
08-01-2012, 00:01
The USA made Gen3 Glock 17,19,26,27,23, and 22 are being sold in the Philippines and recently the Gen4 of those models. Before the Gen4s USA, Austrian made Glock had a big premium over the USA made ones. Unit price of an Austrian Glock is around $1300 while the USA made ones priced at around $950. When the Gen4 USA was introduced, the Gen4 Austria was priced at around $1170 and they put the Gen3 USA on "sale" for around $760.
@CountZero, no, it is not marketed in there... though I saw one for sale a couple of months ago in a forum. The seller wants somewhere around US$4000 for it. (yes, it's a four digit) :)

DJ Niner
08-01-2012, 01:07
In February of 2009, I ordered a G17C from Glock, using the LE/MIL program. When it arrived, it was a combo of sorts; Austrian slide/barrel assembly, on what appears to be a US-made frame. The frame surface finish is indistinguishable from the fully-Austrian-made G17 I currently own; the only difference is the info stamped on the side.

http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/571/glockusaframe.jpg

RLZIII
08-01-2012, 07:09

This is why GLOCK doesn't use the Tenifer finish anymore. They have moved on to a nitration process (hence the more recent matte grey finish opposed to the old shinny black finish; while the Tenifer/nitration process isn't the outside finish, the difference in the processes effect the final finish's look). The Tenifer process was even dropped on Austria-made guns. So this shouldn't be a problem moving forward. From what I understand, USA GLOCKs can't be distinguished from their Austrian counterparts, except the markings of course.

Butch: Very cool! I wonder why that slipped out. Would be nice to have even just a USA frame.

Cool Hand Hodge
08-01-2012, 09:22
Damn...i had no idea they didnt use tennifer anymore...all the more reason to buy an older one i guess.

Tennifer was better than anything on the market. Any ideas to how the new process differs or if it is as effective. I suppose if it works as well, its no harm no foul, but i am skeptical

Cool Hand Hodge
08-01-2012, 09:33
I see this has been beaten to death prior...disreguard my prior posts on the subject matter, it has been discussed at length in other threads by those more knowledgable than myself

TxGlock65
08-01-2012, 23:00
Hey I am the guy with the US made 19 that pictures were posted of earlier in the thread. I don't know what to think about it all, I have been offered 1k for it already. I can buy another one, US made, right now for $510 locally.

Walk Soft
08-02-2012, 04:00
Well there ya go,you'd still have a USA Glock and $490.

Guns&Geetars
08-16-2012, 17:01
I just received a brand new G19 Gen 3 stamped USA on slide. Looks nice and neat that it says USA but i am thinking of selling. New to this forum so i don't know how to post a pic yet lol

TeeJay37
08-16-2012, 19:07
I just received a brand new G19 Gen 3 stamped USA on slide. Looks nice and neat that it says USA but i am thinking of selling. New to this forum so i don't know how to post a pic yet lol

Create a photobucket account, upload pics from pc or a mobile and copy the IMG code. Paste it as a post.

gabs556
08-16-2012, 21:20
Can you get the G25 in the Phillipines?

Nope. The official distributor here in the Philippines only gets 17, 19, 22, 23, 26 and 27, all made in the USA. We only get Austrian made ones via the gray market.

Ocean_glocker
08-22-2012, 11:55
Hey I am the guy with the US made 19 that pictures were posted of earlier in the thread. I don't know what to think about it all, I have been offered 1k for it already. I can buy another one, US made, right now for $510 locally.

Does that shop ship to other FFLs?

bustedknee
08-22-2012, 19:06
I have two G17's.

One is Austrian and the other is USA.

I see no difference between the two other than markings and SN.

Pix here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19336977#post19336977

Walk Soft
08-22-2012, 19:21
I have two G17's.

One is Austrian and the other is USA.

I see no difference between the two other than markings and SN.

Pix here:
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19336977#post19336977

So when and where did you buy the US 17?

bustedknee
08-22-2012, 19:48
So when and where did you buy the US 17?

Yesterday, local gun shop (New River Sports, 540-980-1133, 3376 Kirby Road, Draper, VA 24324
http://www.newriversports.com/).

brokenprism
08-22-2012, 20:04
Seems silly we make something here to sell elsewhere and import the exact same product to sell here.

And it seems silly that you can't buy a Glock .380 here...

Sent from my dirty keyboard at the home computer in the corner of the living room by the window. ; )

Walk Soft
08-22-2012, 20:23
Yesterday, local gun shop (New River Sports, 540-980-1133, 3376 Kirby Road, Draper, VA 24324
http://www.newriversports.com/).

Was it a new gun,or used?

Walk Soft
08-22-2012, 20:28
Yesterday I picked up a Gen 2 19 from my LGS that did an FFL transfer for me.
When he was reading off the serial number I got really excited for about three seconds because the number was AAxxxxUS.I quickly looked at the number on the slide and I didn't see US.Then I realized he was reading the number from under the gun and remembered that they all have US as the last two digits of the serial number.What got my attention was the AA in the beginning of the serial number because I had associated it with the US Glocks.What a letdown.:crying:

kents
08-22-2012, 22:01
Taurus established a US Mfg facility to make and sell 380 (TCP) in the US and it's a dandy little gun. Perhaps Glock will follow suit.

Guns&Geetars
08-22-2012, 23:45
Yesterday I picked up a Gen 2 19 from my LGS that did an FFL transfer for me.
When he was reading off the serial number I got really excited for about three seconds because the number was AAxxxxUS.I quickly looked at the number on the slide and I didn't see US.Then I realized he was reading the number from under the gun and remembered that they all have US as the last two digits of the serial number.What got my attention was the AA in the beginning of the serial number because I had associated it with the US Glocks.What a letdown.:crying:

Darn that sucks man

bustedknee
08-23-2012, 11:42
Was it a new gun,or used?

New.

Think I oughta shoot it?

Walk Soft
08-23-2012, 18:10
New.

Think I oughta shoot it?

Yes.I want one pretty bad..........to shoot.:supergrin:It's already been shot twice.
I'm going to check to see if they do online sales.

tango44
10-14-2012, 10:09
Tagged

bubby2411
10-14-2012, 17:49
I just bought a G-19 still waiting for the waiting period it was about 8-10 days so it should be around this thursday. i was looking at it and it said USA on it and the serial number was US so i guess i got lucky?

Gavin S.
10-14-2012, 18:55
Are US made Glocks going to be a rarity? I would imagine they will be pretty common in the future.

Big Time
05-01-2013, 23:22
Any updates on the USA made Glocks? I have a Glock 19 USA stamped and just wondering what I have and how common are they NOW? Thanks

cebuboy
05-02-2013, 08:19
Pretty common in my neck of the woods, as in all new Glocks arriving here since more or less a couple years back are all made in the US of A.

onthehunt
05-04-2013, 14:02
Mine's made in the USA....