School me on the Delta Elites please! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : School me on the Delta Elites please!

chevy01234
07-30-2012, 20:24
So I have a hankering for a 1911 in 10mm. I have a few questions on them. What is a "decent" price for a used one in good shape? Would you try and find a new one or used one or are there any noticeable differences? This gun will be carried and will not be a safe queen. I carry every day so it will be added to my carry rotation. I have had a Glock 20 for 8 years so im not new to the 10mms but this will be my first 1911.

Another amateur question is will I have to have the slide milled/modified for new sights or are any 1911 sights compatible? I am going to want night sights on it for sure but other than that a new set of grips are all I envision changing on it.

I appreciate it and feel free to post pictures of your 1911's in 10mm!

swinokur
07-31-2012, 05:25
I bought mine new for 1k. I'd say between 800 -1000 if it's in good shape. The Delta doesn'rt have the greatest chamber support so be careful with super hot loads. I shoot the 1240 FPS 180g Gold Dots from Underwood Ammo. I like my Delta nonetheless.

Wolf Spyder
08-01-2012, 15:12
From what I have seen there is not much of a price difference between the new or used Delta Elites. As little as $100 or $200 in some cases. So, if I were you, I would try to find a new one. That being said, I am disapointed that Colt has not updated the Delta Elite with the features of the Rail Gun or XSE models. The Delta Elite is basicly a 1980's era 1911A1 with outdated sights & grip safety. It is a very Plain Jane pistol, as seen in the photo below.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/ColtDeltaEliteO2020.jpg

I, and several others, have been trying to get Colt to update the Delta Elite to look more like this Photoshopped mock-up I made a few weeks ago. It has better sights, a beaver tail grip safety, forward cocking serations, all the things we look for in a mid-level combat pistol

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/O2020RGColtDeltaEliteRailGun-1.jpg

I also mocked-up a Combat Commander Bob-Tail...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/O2020RG-COBOBColtDeltaEliteCommanderBobTailRailGun.jpg

and a long slide...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/O2020RG-LSColtDeltaEliteCustomLongSlideRailGun.jpg

Of course for a few dollars more you could buy a stainless steel slide and receiver from Caspian and build something like this in 10mm. Which, by the way, is exactly what I am going to do since Colt is being a stick in the mud.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/LingerCustom10mm5inchWolfSpyderReconCombatTactical.jpg

RYT 2BER
08-01-2012, 18:14
The Delta Elite is basicly a 1980's era 1911A1 with outdated sights & grip safety. It is a very Plain Jane pistol.

I kinda feel the same way...

ca survivor
08-02-2012, 09:59
since you already have a Glock 20 and this been your first 1911 I'll go .45 acp.

Wolf Spyder
08-02-2012, 11:20
Since you already have a Glock 20 and this [will be] your first 1911, I'll go .45 acp.

Why?

The .45 is slow. You can shoot a man in the chest at point blank range with the .45 ACP. I can shoot that same man in the chest while standing 100 yards away, and after traveling 100 yards, the 10mm will strike that man in the chest with more energy than your .45 ACP could after traveling only a few inches.

The .45 ACP has a bullet weight range from 185 grains to 230 grains. While the 10mm has a bullet weight range that is much larger, from 125 grains to 230 grains.

The .45 ACP doesn't have hardly any main-steam caliber swaps... While the 10mm has the .40 S&W, .357 SIG, & the 9 x 25 Dillon. All of them with just a simple barrel swap.

HiVel
08-02-2012, 12:15
The Colt is all forged SS-nice piece even if it is "antiquated" as it may be at least in others opinions. It still works very well and the targets you shoot will not know if the gun has a beavertail, rail,etc. or not-nor will you as they are cosmetic IMHO, as is all the other stuff except maybe the barrel support-which is only important if you are shooting the really HOT loads. They are not necessary to me.I like the Colt. I have 2
Glock 10s , 2 S&W revolvers in 10mm and a Custom Kimber in 10mm. All are good shooters and just buy what YOU like . Have fun!

alwaysshootin
08-02-2012, 15:20
The Colt is all forged SS-nice piece even if it is "antiquated" as it may be at least in others opinions. It still works very well and the targets you shoot will not know if the gun has a beavertail, rail,etc. or not-nor will you as they are cosmetic IMHO, as is all the other stuff except maybe the barrel support-which is only important if you are shooting the really HOT loads. They are not necessary to me.I like the Colt. I have 2
Glock 10s , 2 S&W revolvers in 10mm and a Custom Kimber in 10mm. All are good shooters and just buy what YOU like . Have fun!

As far as the "beaver tail" goes, I'm sure the target won't notice, but the shooter sure will, Personally, I don't want a rail on any of my 1911's, but they had better have a beaver tail. Whether it is a 45, or especially a 10MM. Nothing controls muzzle jump more IMHO.

nickE10mm
08-02-2012, 17:47
Wolf, I'd seen those pics before but I'd just like to tell you... I like em. :) Sexy DE longslide yum-myyyyyyy lol

Wolf Spyder
08-02-2012, 21:48
Ya, I like it as well.

I like these better... rounded heel, under cut trigger guard, "Hook" rear Night Sights, Rail, integral speed feed chute, solid medium length aluminum trigger, and all the special features that make a 1911 a real joy to shoot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Wolf_Spyder/LingerCustom10mm6inchWolfSpyderReconLongSlideTactical.jpg

dl645
08-03-2012, 07:06
You might want to consider the 10mm Kimber Eclipse as well. I got mine a year ago and love it! Have about 5,000rds through it with most of those being full power reloads. Made a few easy changes to it as well. Grips, magwell, GI guide rod & plug, grip safety (I prefer the bump safety). Don't carry it very often as I prefer a Commander sized for EDC but have used it in IDPA competition fairly often. Definitely a fun gun! Tripp mags have been 100% with Wilson Combat's coming in a close second.

http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/dl645pro/Eclipse2.jpg
http://i1240.photobucket.com/albums/gg492/dl645pro/Eclipse1.jpg

10 fan
08-04-2012, 10:32
Which revolvers do you have and how do you like them?I have 2 G20's &2 G29's and have wanted a revolver for awhile. 20sf & 29 are on my permit with M&P340CT, might switch the 340 for 10mm revolver if it works out.:cool:

blackgun556
08-04-2012, 20:37
I well take 1 delta long slide Pleease!!! ;)

HiVel
08-05-2012, 16:27
Which revolvers do you have and how do you like them?I have 2 G20's &2 G29's and have wanted a revolver for awhile. 20sf & 29 are on my permit with M&P340CT, might switch the 340 for 10mm revolver if it works out.:cool:

I have the S&W NiteGuard and the 6 1/4" 610 revolvers, They are both fine guns. The 610 I have used for hunting and it will shoot as accurate or better than any handgun I own at 25 yds. -I have a red dot sight on it -the short barrel Nite Guard I got on a deal (no longer made?) -it is a BIG gun for CC. Good for a house or truck gun though.,uses moon clips of course. I have a 340 M&P for CC by the way. The 10mm is just too big for me for daily concealed carry. I do have a holster rig for it and can lug it around if I feel I need it.
Also very accurate and fun to shoot. Both these revolvers handle 40 cal very well-hardly any recoil with great accuracy but less oomph than the full house 10mm as you would expect. Fun guns. Reliable , powerful, accurate and good looking to my eyes.

AKRover
08-13-2012, 04:44
I love my Delta Elite. Since I bought it it has become my primary carry weapon. Currently my Delta is at the gunsmith having night sights and ambi safety installed and a trigger job done. Can't wait to get home in a few weeks and pick it up.

I agree that Colt is a little behind the times with the Delta Elite. It should have come from the factory with a more supported barrel and night sights.

I plan to build a Caspian 10mm 1911 with rail and all stuff that Colt should have offered on the Delta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

HiVel
08-13-2012, 07:08
I love my Delta Elite. Since I bought it it has become my primary carry weapon. Currently my Delta is at the gunsmith having night sights and ambi safety installed and a trigger job done. Can't wait to get home in a few weeks and pick it up.

I agree that Colt is a little behind the times with the Delta Elite. It should have come from the factory with a more supported barrel and night sights.

I plan to build a Caspian 10mm 1911 with rail and all stuff that Colt should have offered on the Delta.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good show-my Delta will remain stock except for the Crimson Trace laser sight-I have a Kimber Eclipse with an older CT grip that I actually like beter than the new CT grip but they both work well-both guns are capable and accurate -building your own is fun! Hope you enjoy it!

chevy01234
08-14-2012, 09:34
Wow, thank you all for the advice and suggestions! I apologize it has taken me so long to reply and relay my thanks. I am currently looking for a Delta Elite! Hope to find one in the next few weeks!

swinokur
08-14-2012, 13:42
Look on Gunbroker. Both NIB and used.