Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic 60gr [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic 60gr

Travclem
07-30-2012, 22:39
I have been researching this ammo recently because I am waiting on a .22 can and have several host guns. This round is quiet and really packs a punch. The things that I have read all say you need the 1:9" barrel for that bullet.

I bought 5 boxes for ****s and grins and tried them in my 15-22 (1:16") and my P22 (1:350mm). In the P22 they were stable and punched perfectly round holes when I shot them at 20yds or so. They were stable at 100 yds through my 15-22. They left perfectly round splatters on the gong.

Anyone else have good luck with this ammo in conventionally rifled .22s? I'm definitely going to do some more testing before running it through the can but so far it looks promising.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bill Keith
07-31-2012, 12:27
I really haven't had any trouble with that round in any of my guns...some I've shot it through are a single-six revover, 2 diferent 10/22's, a savage -anschutz, Henry mini-bolt and a CZ 452.
I also really like the Super Collibri powderless round at 500FPS from a rifle. I have a Henry Mini Bolt dedicated to using them in. No sound, uses the fulminate in its Eley case to propel with no gunpowder. Will kill squirrels up to 25-30 yards and let you shoot in the backyard with a stop.

Travclem
07-31-2012, 13:17
I really haven't had any trouble with that round in any of my guns...some I've shot it through are a single-six revover, 2 diferent 10/22's, a savage -anschutz, Henry mini-bolt and a CZ 452.
I also really like the Super Collibri powderless round at 500FPS from a rifle. I have a Henry Mini Bolt dedicated to using them in. No sound, uses the fulminate in its Eley case to propel with no gunpowder. Will kill squirrels up to 25-30 yards and let you shoot in the backyard with a stop.

I have some of those as well.

Buford
08-02-2012, 19:30
You can't shoot those rounds through a suppressor. They will cause a baffle strike. My Gemtech owner's manuel specifically states that they can't be used.

CanMan
08-02-2012, 20:10
You can't shoot those rounds through a suppressor. They will cause a baffle strike.

Don't know of anyone who's had that happen.... yet. I don't want to sacrifice baffles so I've been using CCI's Quiet .22 in my CZ 452 when the can is on. It won't cycle in my Ruger MK II or S&W M41. Great in a bolt gun though!

Travclem
08-02-2012, 20:25
You can't shoot those rounds through a suppressor. They will cause a baffle strike. My Gemtech owner's manuel specifically states that they can't be used.

Do you have any real world data? They are perfectly stable out of 2 o my guns. Gemtech won't warranty the can if you shoot this ammo but it's 100% safe if you have a 1:9 barrel. I have shot a few hundred rounds out to 100yds with 1:16" barrels and they put nice clean round holes in the target, no sign of instability.

I just want to se if anyone else's has similar experience to mine.

bryceban
08-02-2012, 21:44
I have shot them out of a few different pistols and rifles suppressed and did not have any issues with stabilizing the bullet. CCI Standard Velocity are cheaper, more accurate, fly flatter, and hit harder than the SSS. The SSS are fun to play with but the velocity is not anywhere near the stated velocity in my experience.

I would love having a 22 WMR in the same concept with a 60 gr+ bullet that could reach 1050 FPS for suppressor use.

Travclem
08-07-2012, 09:59
Here:s a group I shot with my TacSol 10/22 at 50 yds, about a shot per second. Looks stable to me.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm252/travclem/726c3a3a.jpg

glocked1
08-08-2012, 14:33
I bought a couple boxes of the SSS haven't tried it yet. I have tried the CCI quiet and they are extremely quiet out of a rifle. The CCI quiets out of a walther p22 are still pretty loud.

Travclem
08-08-2012, 23:20
I bought a couple boxes of the SSS haven't tried it yet. I have tried the CCI quiet and they are extremely quiet out of a rifle. The CCI quiets out of a walther p22 are still pretty loud.
The quiets wont cycle my guns, the SSS will.

glocked1
08-09-2012, 05:21
The quiets wont cycle my guns, the SSS will.

Quiets won't cycle the walther p22 either but for a bolt gun they are great.

FFR Spyder GT
08-11-2012, 08:42
I have shot the SSSs through numerous .22 rifles and pistols with mixed results.

10-22 @ 25yds looks like it was shot with #4 buckshot from a short barrel unchoked shotgun.

Marlin 15 bolt-action. Much better but not great.

Buckmark is same as 10-22

Walther P22 decent at 15 yds.

AR-15 w/ a Ceiner .22LR conversion w/ 1/9 twist barrel tack driver out too 175 yds.

AR-15 w/ a Ceiner .22LR conversion w/ 1/12 twist barrel decent groups out too 100yds.

Jennings J22 it's the best round that I've shoot through it so far.

If I could only carry a .22LR pistol for SD I would used the 60gr SSS ammo. I've shot about every brand of .22LR into water jugs filled with shredded newspaper and soaked phone books and out of my J22, P22, Buckmark and my G23 w/ a Ceiner conversion the SSS outperformed all other loads.

They have the best penetration of all the rounds and for a .22LR this is what matters. Plus after they start penetrating they usually tumble and create a decent size "wound channel" for a .22LR.

Plus when shooting a steel gong out of a rifle they have more "smack" at 100 or more yards than any other round.

flysubcompact
08-13-2012, 13:15
Though not a common firearm, I have shot the SSS rounds for years in my Springfield M6's upper .22 bore. Shoot great in the little combo gun. As a matter of fact, that round/gun is my "investigate what is messing with my stock animals" rig. I guess the bore twist is right for that round.

Actually had to kill a dog that was biting one of my prize dairy goats a few years ago. (I'm a dog lover, so I tried yelling, first, then chunking rocks and noise from a warning shot from the .410 bore.) He and his buddy were rather lathered up with the excitement of the hunt. The SSS round though the ribs stopped the leader. Examined the corpse....the bullet passed through. Broke rib on exit.

Retired Squid
08-19-2012, 05:11
I must have had a bad lot, bought two boxes and the were as someone said patterned not grouped. Tried them in 18" Mossberg from 1950, 2005 981T Marlin, CZ452, and a '93Browning A-bolt all to no avail for accuracy and about same results with Collibri and Super Collibri though not as bad as the SSS they would not kill squirrel beyond 15 yards and only make squirrel jump up and look to see what stung him at 25 yards when one of the bullets went where aimed.

The Marlin seemed to be the best rifle with the Collibri rounds as for noise and some degree of accuracy (4" group @ 25 yards down to 2" group @ 15 yards), but noise varied from light pop to sounding like a standard LR round. I gave the SSS away and eventually shot the Collibri up and never bought any more.

One funny thing was I had a paintball gun during this period and it was more accurate the Aguila ammo. Man talk about making a squirrel mad, it was a real hoot. After paintballing a neighborhood dog twice, I noticed neighbor walking his Chow with leash. Good thing as I had set the treaded contender 22 aside with some old ('98/99 time frame) Remington subsonic ammo with large trash bag at the ready, as done with couple other dogs. Those old Remingtons are better then most target ammo these days, wished I'd bought a case back then.

dudel
08-19-2012, 06:47

I seem to recall the same thing regarding my AAC Prodigy. IRCC, it's a matter of projectile weight to the twist. Your twist may well work.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/aguila_sss.htm

I stick with the Remington/CCI subsonics.

Wish there was a plated subsonic.