Olympics and Christianity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Olympics and Christianity

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 06:20
The olympics Games date back to Greece was glorified in the Roman Colosseum. It teaches people to be competitive just the opposite of what Jesus actually taught.

Do you think Chistianity should support Olympic Games?

Also as a side note do you think less than upper classed children have the same advantages as upper classed children in being olympic hopefuls?

GreenDrake
07-31-2012, 06:42
I think it has no place in the games. The olympics were abolished because of a Christian who thought they were too Pagan. Silliness is silliness. Yes, money can buy Olympians.

John Rambo
07-31-2012, 07:13
Jesus is dead. He was killed for being a pain in the ass. The only place you find his stories are in a book. The Olympics are still going strong as a standing reminder of the greatness of the human race's physical abilities and what we can accomplish when we set our minds to it.

I guess if the two are in conflict you should figure out which one is more relevant to your life and support it. Or you could just keep reading your book and keep joining the rest of the human race in appreciating some of the best athletes on planet Earth, and stop worrying about it.

And I think determination trumps all in the Olympics. There are plenty of headhunters out there to scoop up people of any socioeconomic background for the games.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 07:50
It teaches people to be competitive just the opposite of what Jesus actually taught.
Seriously?????
:rofl:

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 08:22
Seriously?????
:rofl:
Yes, seriously!

I couldnt wait for you to jump in.

Please show me in THE BIBLE, where it teaches people to compete against one another for gain?

Given the Roman history of the games, I knew you would feel at home Bert. Lol

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 08:42
If your an atheist I would say the olympic games are geared toward you. If you are a True Christian you should avoid it because of the pagan origins, and idolatry that it embraces.

However, if you are a so-called christian and partake of other pagan customs, ie: christmas,easter, sunday worship then by all means supporting the olympic is the norm for you.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 08:57
Yes, seriously!

Feeling masochistic?

Please show me in THE BIBLE,
Ahh, the old unlogical, anti-biblical sola scriptura heresy being touted again.

where it teaches people to compete against one another for gain?
Where does it say you can't?

Paul, talking to the Corinthians, certainly doesn't seem to castigate those holding this idea. In fact, he uses it as a point of common reference.

If you know anything about ancient Corinth, you know that they were famous for their competitive sports. The Isthmian Games (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFsQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIsthmian_Games&ei=mPEXUP3jFoqd8AHo2oDoCA&usg=AFQjCNHJXxBMS9P3r9e0xi7V2exUDpMhyA) were second only to the Olympics.

I didn't know there was any "Roman history" in this regard.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 09:01
However, if you are a so-called christian and partake of other pagan customs, ie: christmas,easter, sunday worship then by all means supporting the olympic is the norm for you.
Sunday worship, Christmas, and Easter are all Christian customs, despite your bald-faced assertions without any supporting facts.

However, sola scriptura (http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/sola.htm)is a illogical, heretical, unbiblical, man-made belief that makes null the Word of God.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 09:21
Sunday worship, Christmas, and Easter are all Christian customs, despite your bald-faced assertions without any supporting facts.

However, sola scriptura (http://www.catholicapologetics.info/apologetics/protestantism/sola.htm)is a illogical, heretical, unbiblical, man-made belief that makes null the Word of God.
YeS dear Bert they are all christian customs taken directly from paganism. I dont care how you wash it, it still isnt clean.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 09:23
YeS dear Bert they are all christian customs taken directly from paganism. I dont care how you wash it, it still isnt clean.
More assertions?
You're amusing. :rofl:

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 09:25
I didn't know there was any "Roman history" in this regard.

In 146 BC, the Romans gained control of Greece and, therefore, of the Olympic games. In 85 BC, the Roman general Sulla plundered the sanctuary to finance his campaign against Mithridates. Sulla also moved the 175th Olympiad (80 BC) to Rome

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 09:27
More assertions?
You're amusing. :rofl:
So you deny history and deny those customs pre-christian were pagan?

Bert, you dont have a leg to stand on.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 10:58
So you deny history and deny those customs pre-christian were pagan?
Nope. I have history and facts on my side.

Woofie
07-31-2012, 11:44
The olympics Games date back to Greece was glorified in the Roman Colosseum. It teaches people to be competitive just the opposite of what Jesus actually taught.

Do you think Chistianity should support Olympic Games?

Also as a side note do you think less than upper classed children have the same advantages as upper classed children in being olympic hopefuls?

Are you a capitalist?

Woofie
07-31-2012, 11:45
Yes, seriously!

Please show me in THE BIBLE, where it teaches people to compete against one another for gain?

I guess you are a staunch Obama supporter.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 11:57
Guess again!

Woofie
07-31-2012, 12:01
Guess again!

If you believe that Jesus taught against competition, you need to reevaluate your political stance. Obama is against competition, too.

Batesmotel
07-31-2012, 12:35
The Olympics teach us to push ourselves, to excel and to stretch the mortal body to it's limits. To sacrifice. To set high goals. To work toward higher ideals. To at times, live only on faith, be that in Deity or in ourselves when others say we can't succeed. To set higher standards for others to follow and to eventually surpass. To take the lessons that are learned and as coaches and teachers, pass them to the next generation.

What is un-christian about that?

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 13:03
The Olympics teach us to push ourselves, to excel and to stretch the mortal body to it's limits. To sacrifice. To set high goals. To work toward higher ideals. To at times, live only on faith, be that in Deity or in ourselves when others say we can't succeed. To set higher standards for others to follow and to eventually surpass. To take the lessons that are learned and as coaches and teachers, pass them to the next generation.

What is un-christian about that?
You do realize the Olympics and the different events like carrying the torch and its relationship with greek gods are pagan.

So if you are a christian do you partake of pagan festivals?

Idol worship?

The Bible is clear our bodies are the temple for God, does the olympics teach us how to treat and use our bodies or does the Bible, Gods word, instruction manual teach us this?

Cavalry Doc
07-31-2012, 14:36

It takes good genetics and a lot of training to get to the level of an Olympic athlete. I guess it would depend on where you grew up. In the old soviet union children with certain traits were identified and then supported by the state in their training. It takes a lot of time and money one way or the other.

Altaris
07-31-2012, 15:05
You do realize the Olympics and the different events like carrying the torch and its relationship with greek gods are pagan.

How do you know the Greek gods aren't the real ones? Maybe you believing the bible is insulting to them.

Altaris
07-31-2012, 15:09
It teaches people to be competitive just the opposite of what Jesus actually taught.

If we weren't competitive we would wither away and die. Without competing in life I don't get the wife, without the sperm competing, there is no kid and no life. Without me competing I don't get that dead deer before the other, or find the berries first, and I starve and die. All living organisms are competitive.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 15:12
How do you know the Greek gods aren't the real ones? Maybe you believing the bible is insulting to them.
If that is the case then the title of this thread would have been, the olympics and paganism..however that isnt the title. Good grief.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 15:13
If we weren't competitive we would wither away and die. Without competing in life I don't get the wife, without the sperm competing, there is no kid and no life. Without me competing I don't get that dead deer before the other, or find the berries first, and I starve and die. All living organisms are competitive.
Without God you will surely die!

The Wizard
07-31-2012, 15:41
Just because my son's birthday fall on the summer solstice does NOT mean there is a link between eating brithday cake and paganism!

AlexHassin
07-31-2012, 15:47
If that is the case then the title of this thread would have been, the olympics and paganism..however that isnt the title. Good grief.
but maybe you should be concerned they or others of the hundredes of gods mankind has worshiped is the right one insted and will punish you for this thread

lawman_77008
07-31-2012, 16:04

You still didn't answer the question.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 16:12
Just because my son's birthday fall on the summer solstice does NOT mean there is a link between eating brithday cake and paganism!
Actually the link is celebrating a birthday and its connection with paganism.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 16:14
You still didn't answer the question.
Yes I did you just cant fiqure it out.

Brucev
07-31-2012, 16:21
Re: OP. There is absolutely nothing to be found in Scripture anywhere at all that speaks to sports competition as somehow antithetical to Christian faith. In fact the Apostle Paul specifically referenced some of the typical sports of his era in his various letters and epistles.

As to the Olympic Games, they are no different than any other sports event be it football, baseball, etc. If believers want to attend the OG, more power to them.

Opportunity in sports is sometimes predicated on ability. Beyond that, opportunity to progress and excel is absolutely tied to financial support. Children from low income families will simply not have the same opportunities or encouragement that will be afforded children whose parents can afford to pay the cost of their initial entry into and subsequent development in various competitive sports. This is true whether the sport is swimming, gymnastics, track and field, whatever.

Many of the foreign nations underwrite the cost of their athletes, essentially paying them to be athletes. Of course the OOC doesn't like this as they want to maintain the mythology of the amateur sportsman. The facts are that athletes whose cost are not underwritten by their govt. must seek sponsorship from corporate sources, etc. or they simply will not be competitive.

Schabesbert
07-31-2012, 16:42
Re: OP. There is absolutely nothing to be found in Scripture anywhere at all that speaks to sports competition as somehow antithetical to Christian faith. In fact the Apostle Paul specifically referenced some of the typical sports of his era in his various letters and epistles.
Yeah, I already pointed that out. Fred ignored that (or he ignored scripture ... or both).

2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

1Co 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
26 Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air;
27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Heb 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,

... among a very many other sports analogies used by the apostle.

Funny, he never condemns it the way Fred does, even though he certainly has the opportunities, bringing up the subject as he does. No, he treats it as a common point of reference. Maybe Fred should have written these Epistles rather than St. Paul?

Opportunity in sports is sometimes predicated on ability.
NO! They didn't build that. They were only able to compete because someone built a road to the stadium, and built the stadium, dontcha know. :scared:

Kingarthurhk
07-31-2012, 17:01
Without God you will surely die!

How about the best of both worlds? I am ready for queber nap.

lawman_77008
07-31-2012, 17:15
Yes I did you just cant fiqure it out.

No, you didn't. The question still stands, how do you KNOW Zeus and the other Greek Gods aren't real?

Zeus is really going to be displeased with your lack of faith. Repent from your sins or pay for all eternity in Hades.

Batesmotel
07-31-2012, 17:53
So if you are a christian do you partake of pagan festivals?

The torch came from the Nazis. They wanted to make a symbolic connection to the Greeks (which they considered to be the First Reich) by carrying it from Athens.

Do you realize how much of our culture is derived from ancient pagan cultures? May be we better just toss out Christmas, New years, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and other celebrations.

Just because we borrow from our pagan forefathers does nothing to diminish the Bible. Also celebrating something that is not specifically in the Bible does not make it pagan.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 17:57
Yeah, I already pointed that out. Fred ignored that (or he ignored scripture ... or both).

2Ti 4:7 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
8 Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.

1Co 9:24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners compete, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it.
25 Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.
26 Well, I do not run aimlessly, I do not box as one beating the air;
27 but I pommel my body and subdue it, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified.

1Ti 6:12 Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.

Php 3:14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Heb 12:1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with perseverance the race that is set before us,

... among a very many other sports analogies used by the apostle.

Funny, he never condemns it the way Fred does, even though he certainly has the opportunities, bringing up the subject as he does. No, he treats it as a common point of reference. Maybe Fred should have written these Epistles rather than St. Paul?

NO! They didn't build that. They were only able to compete because someone built a road to the stadium, and built the stadium, dontcha know. :scared:

Oh dear Bert,

Competition. The racers in the Olympic Games are determined to outrun everyone else on the track. In the Christian race, competition with other Christians is devilish (1 Corinthians 10:24; Philippians 2:2-3). Instead, each Christian stands ready to help other Christians (1 Thessalonians 5:11; Hebrews 10:24).
A Christian’s only competitor is himself: he must master, buffet, discipline his own mind and body, and keep them “in subjection, lest” he be “disqualified” (Matthew 5:28; 1 Corinthians 9:27)

The Winner. In the Olympic races only one person can be the winner. Everyone else is an “also ran.” In the Christian race, everyone who has “finished the course,” being “faithful unto death,” is a winner (2 Timothy 4:7; Revelation 2:10). Paul delighted to say that not he alone was a winner but also “all those who have loved” the Lord’s appearance (2 Timothy 4:8).

Its obvious that the olympics has pagan origins and traditions that still to this day are included in the ceremonies.

If a so-called christian today wans anything to do with events that have pagan origins and rejects what the Bible teaches about partaking of this then by all means continue to ignore God and keep watching a festival that honors a greek god then have at it.

FCoulter
07-31-2012, 17:58
The torch came from the Nazis. They wanted to make a symbolic connection to the Greeks (which they considered to be the First Reich) by carrying it from Athens.

Do you realize how much of our culture is derived from ancient pagan cultures? May be we better just toss out Christmas, New years, Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and other celebrations.

Just because we borrow from our pagan forefathers does nothing to diminish the Bible. Also celebrating something that is not specifically in the Bible does not make it pagan.
Oh really, you think God approves of keeping christmas,easter, new yrs eve,halloween?

lawman_77008
07-31-2012, 18:24
Oh really, you think God approves of keeping christmas,easter, new yrs eve,halloween?

Which god would that be? Zeus, Odin, Thor?

Cavalry Doc
07-31-2012, 18:42
Anyone post yet about how muslims view the olympics??

ViennaGambit
07-31-2012, 18:49

Guess again!

If you believe that Jesus taught against competition, you need to reevaluate your political stance. Obama is against competition, too.

@ FCoulter - you ignored Woofie's point.

I'd like to hear your response.

High-Gear
07-31-2012, 19:27
Isn't it amazing how much energy and resources are wasted on incredibly stupid ideas like this? Or if children go to pergatory, or how many angels can dance on a pin? This is silly.

Oh and if you were a true christian, you would be against capitalism, and the rich. Isn't coveting of goods a sin? Won't it be eaiser for a man to ride a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? Didn't jesus throw the money changers out on their ear, but somehow the Republican "party of god" supports the bankers?

Woofie
07-31-2012, 19:39
@ FCoulter - you ignored Woofie's point.

I'd like to hear your response.

I wouldn't hold your breath. FC is just another Cafeteria Christian who gets to pick and choose how and when to apply his faith as it's convenient. And it applies differently to others when he needs it to.

lawman_77008
07-31-2012, 19:54
Oh and if you were a true christian, you would be against capitalism, and the rich. Isn't coveting of goods a sin? Won't it be eaiser for a man to ride a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven? Didn't jesus throw the money changers out on their ear, but somehow the Republican "party of god" supports the bankers?

Now that you mention it, Jesus did act rather socialist. Healing the sick (free health care), feeding the hungry (i.e. food stamps), throwing out the money lenders (anti-banking) - what kind of a socialist was Jesus?

IhRedrider
07-31-2012, 20:38
Batesmotel

I'm glad to see that you have identified what is very obvious, yet what many others choose to ignore. I will simply leave you with a piece of scripture for you to look at and make a decision for yourself.

29 “When the Lord your God goes ahead of you and destroys the nations and you drive them out and live in their land, 30 do not fall into the trap of following their customs and worshiping their gods. Do not inquire about their gods, saying, ‘How do these nations worship their gods? I want to follow their example.’ 31 You must not worship the Lord your God the way the other nations worship their gods, for they perform for their gods every detestable act that the Lord hates.