I just don't feel comfortable.
Same with a 1911 c&l.
I practice pulling the gun racking the
slide and firing and I'm not bad at it.
Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks-Ron

stolenphot0
07-31-2012, 07:32
Please Google the Tueller Drill and let me know how you fair. Thanks.

CaneyCat
07-31-2012, 07:34
Keep your finger out of the hole till it is time to shoot and everything is fine.

sglock45
07-31-2012, 07:36
keep your finger off the bang switch and you'll be fine

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HKLovingIT
07-31-2012, 07:53
Ask down in the carry issues forum.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

If you are not comfortable doing something, don't do it until you are. I don't think it's ideal to carry empty, but it's totally up to you.

Sgt127
07-31-2012, 07:59
I think Glocks are fine guns. I carry one ever day, in a holster, on my hip. Off duty, I like carrying a gun appendix, inside waistband. I am not comfortable carrying a Glock that way so, I use a Sig P239 with the DAK trigger. I like the idea of a longer trigger and a hammer I can put my thumb on when I reholster.

I would not carry a gun without a round in the chamber, its too slow to get into action if necessary.

Either accept that the Glock is safe to carry with a round in the chamber....or,

Continue to carry the way you do, but, be aware that its very difficult to chamber a round while a bad guy is charging you, you are being beaten, your left hand is keeping a box cutter off your throat, whatever...or,

Buy a different gun that you are comfortable carrying in a condition that is ready for immediate use.

No one says you have to carry a Glock. No one says you must carry a round in the chamber.

simotek
07-31-2012, 08:00
I used to be a little nervous about carrying with a round in the chamber when I first started. But then as I got a little more comfortable with just having the pistol on me I would start to go over the internal action. When you think about how it works you realize the only way your Glock will fire is if you pull the trigger. And in a proper holster there is no way anything will get inside the trigger guard resulting in an AD/ND.

You just have to be extra careful when you holster the pistol. Always take care to make sure no clothing gets caught up or your finger doesn't slip.

JBS
07-31-2012, 08:28
I like carrying a gun appendix, inside waistband. I am not comfortable carrying a Glock that way so,

Mic Holster, look at their video :supergrin:

Sgt127
07-31-2012, 08:34

I appreciate that. The Mic holster is brilliant. I just can't do it. Lots of people do, and, they are good with it. The thought of a 70% or so cocked pistol pointed at my femoral artery makes me queazy. I can't carry a 1911 like that either or an M&P etc. On my hip, I'm fine, I can handle a crease in my ass cheek if something goes wrong.

JBS
07-31-2012, 08:41
I appreciate that. The Mic holster is brilliant. I just can't do it. Lots of people do, and, they are good with it. The thought of a 70% or so cocked pistol pointed at my femoral artery makes me queazy. I can't carry a 1911 like that either or an M&P etc. On my hip, I'm fine, I can handle a crease in my ass cheek if something goes wrong.

I like the Kangaroo for off Duty Glock carry also. Oh, and the models do have on a holster!
This is all related ( OP ) to carrying a “Hot Glock” :supergrin::wavey:
http://kangaroocarry.com/

DannyR
07-31-2012, 08:41
Try this exercise to build your confidence.

1. Clear your weapon and double check that it is unloaded with no magazine in it.

2. Rack the slide to set the trigger

3. Place it in a holster

4. Point the holstered pistol in a safe direction and try to pull the trigger without removing the pistol from the holster. Try real hard.

scccdoc
07-31-2012, 08:48
Hello folks,
I've been told on other forums
that I'm too cautious for not
carrying one in the pipe during
my everyday carry.
Same with a 1911 c&l.

Thanks-Ron

Me too. I saw a video about the Israelis who carry unchambered. There routine for rack and fire was impressive.Practice................

simotek
07-31-2012, 09:14
Another benefit of carrying chambered is that you can carry +1. Never know when you might need that extra round!

Beanie-Bean
07-31-2012, 09:24
How many times has the trigger on your carry firearm been in the "fired" position after you pulled it out of the holster?

The only time I'm really worried is when I have to reholster, due to where I'm going (church, hospital, post office...) If I can't reholster due to where my vehicle is located or positioned, then I'll leave the firearm within reach until I can get to a safe spot to get it back in the holster safely.

If you handle all weapons as if they're loaded, then you'll do just fine.

ghostrider88
07-31-2012, 10:06
Evan if you are the fastest on earth its still time ,and time is the differance between getting a shot off or getting shot, 1 in the pipe for me just my 02

TTex
07-31-2012, 11:58
Ask down in the carry issues forum.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21

If you are not comfortable doing something, don't do it until you are. I don't think it's ideal to carry empty, but it's totally up to you.
+1

Adamz04
07-31-2012, 12:39

Ditto that, I used to appendix carry all the time with a kahr and glock and eventually I reached the same conclusion. I moved to 4 o'clock and realized I'd rather have a skimmer down my butt than no junk in a worst case scenario.

lvl1trauma
07-31-2012, 14:47
Load your gun, dude. The last thing that should be on your mind when you have to pull it in defense is whether or not it is loaded. If you have to pull the pistol, then it is game on- said gun better be loaded.

Also, my guess is you need some serious range time to get confidence in your gun. I am not talking a out a box of 50 or 100 rounds. I am talking a minimum of 500 rounds.

If you still don't want to load your carry gun then at least get your family a good life insurance policy.

unit1069
07-31-2012, 16:09
Hello folks,
my everyday carry.
Same with a 1911 c&l.

Thanks-Ron

I usually don't carry with a round in the chamber unless I've going somewhere I know the chances of a crime rises or anywhere I've not been before.

I fully agree with those who say a defender is better prepared with a loaded chamber but my particular staid lifestyle leads me to think a chance of a negligent discharge for me is greater than a criminal attack. And the number of honest GT members' admission to having had NDs has caused me to become more firm in my desire to put safety over preparedness.

This is a personal decision, and speaking only for myself I do not ever want to become a poster child for the Brady Campaign. As long as I keep my arms well hidden as the ancient adage recommends I hope that if a deadly situation every arises I will see it developing and have the extra second to rack the slide. (Making me wonder if I should buy a DAO micro revolver for CCW to compliment my current pistols.)

MLittle
07-31-2012, 17:24
I wouldn't carry a pistol WITHOUT a round in the chamber.

You may want to consider the type action you have on your carry weapon. Seriously consider moving to a double action/single action pistol. The first trigger pull is long and heavier than the short/single action pull. For example, the standard da/sa Sig Sauer has a 10lb double action pull followed by a 4.4lb single action pull. Having the heavier first trigger pull gives me confidence that I will not accidentally pull the trigger since it takes a deliberate action to make that first trigger pull. I have Glocks that I carry once and a while, but my primary carry pistols are Sigs.

DaneA
07-31-2012, 17:45
Try this exercise to build your confidence.

1. Clear your weapon and double check that it is unloaded with no magazine in it.

2. Rack the slide to set the trigger

3. Place it in a holster

4. Point the holstered pistol in a safe direction and try to pull the trigger without removing the pistol from the holster. Try real hard.

^This^
When I first started carrying I was reluctant to carry with one in the hole. First thing I noticed is that after several weeks of carrying I never found the trigger in the "fired" position. Secondly, I tried the exercise above and could NOT get the trigger to go, even with my shirt caught up in the trigger guard. It takes a little bit to get comfortable with it, but you will eventually. Take your time and only do it if you are comfortable with it. Don't let the commandos on here push you into it.

Deaf Smith
07-31-2012, 17:59
Never had a problem with Condition 1 and Glocks.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=221879&d=1326066438

But I use this FIST IWB holster and it covers the trigger guard. Very fast holster.

I also use the NY-1 and 3.5 lb connector for a 8lb strait DA pull with no stacking.

Deaf

jeanderson
07-31-2012, 19:41
I don't carry... yet. I'm taking my CCW course this weekend and should be getting my license shortly thereafter. I know I need to get some sort of holster, maybe the MIC many mention here.

I bought my first gun 4 months ago, a G23. Have put about 1000 rounds through it now and have slowly gotten comfortable with it. And that's the thing - how comfortable should I be?

It's a personal thing. At home, the mag is inserted but not chambered. Once I start carrying, I will not have one in the chamber. That may change,but I'm going to give it some serious thought first.

jellis11
07-31-2012, 19:55
a few people have said they don't carry condition 1 unless they are going to a place they think a crime may happen.

Who decides these stats?

I agree with doing what you feel comfy with. I'd suggest one in the pipe though. You never know when, and it is very easy to get in a situation where you only have one hand.

When I switched from springfield xd to glock I was a little hesitant but after a few days of an empty chamber, lots of practice and realizing that the pin doesn't just drop... I changed my ways and carry con 1.

gunowner1
07-31-2012, 20:30
Got my first Glock last year and since then have bought two more. Also have an LCP for pocket carry and a .357 for woods carry. I've never been hesitant to carry condition 1. I reholster as fast as I unholster. It's a Glock. It is safe.Hell I was riding my nephews go kart around the yard last week wearing my G26. believe it or not it didn't go off.

SouthpawG26
07-31-2012, 20:37
a few people have said they don't carry condition 1 unless they are going to a place they think a crime may happen.

Who decides these stats?

Yup, unfortunately I wasn't born with such a finely tuned Spider Sense either...

Whatever carry condition one chooses, do it consistently. That would include around the house carry, and the nightstand.

cowboy1964
07-31-2012, 20:49
I see no problem is learning to carry chamber empty. But after you get comfortable with it and really think about situations where you may need to use it, you will quickly become uncomfortable with it not chambered.

Watch some real incidents of self-defense on YouTube and see how fast things unfold. You really don't want to waste time racking a round. And what if your other hand isn't free. And what if a malfunction occurs. Etc etc etc.

+1 on consistency. You don't want to hesitate thinking "did I chamber this time or not?"

Rcsteffen
08-01-2012, 09:40
I tend to agree that the gun should be loaded and ready to go. You may not always be in a draw and shoot situation. Maybe something is going down nearby that doesn't directly involve you at that moment. Being able to draw your weapon and prepare to defend you and/or your family is a huge advantage. Racking the slide to chamber a round is bound to draw some unwanted attention.

I'll admit, I was a little nervous about it until I found the right holster that let me re-holster the gun comfortably. Leather IWBs make me a little nervous as they tend to collapse a little after drawing the gun. I'm more comfortable with a leather OWB, or kydex IWB.YMMV

ghostrider88
08-01-2012, 09:56
Crime has no boundrys, it can happen anywhere anytime, always be prepaired for the worst in people be on gaurd alert of surrondings 1 in the pipe. If you never need it GREAT, but if you do your firearm is ready to ROCK WHEN YOU DRAW!!!

kbrdann
08-01-2012, 10:02
One in the pipe every time.

Darkangel1846
08-05-2012, 09:50
Hello folks,
my everyday carry.
Same with a 1911 c&l.

Thanks-Ron

Carry the way that makes you feel safe, I always carry with one loaded for instant use, inn a good holster.:wavey:

bigtimelarry
08-05-2012, 09:57
i usually don't carry with a round in the chamber unless i've going somewhere i know the chances of a crime rises or anywhere i've not been before.

I fully agree with those who say a defender is better prepared with a loaded chamber but my particular staid lifestyle leads me to think a chance of a negligent discharge for me is greater than a criminal attack. And the number of honest gt members' admission to having had nds has caused me to become more firm in my desire to put safety over preparedness.

This is a personal decision, and speaking only for myself i do not ever want to become a poster child for the brady campaign. As long as i keep my arms well hidden as the ancient adage recommends i hope that if a deadly situation every arises i will see it developing and have the extra second to rack the slide. (making me wonder if i should buy a dao micro revolver for ccw to compliment my current pistols.)

.. +1

C5A
08-05-2012, 10:16
I carry a Glock 22, 40 cal and initially carried without one in the pipe but after the Zimmerman inident and realizing if he did not have one chambered he might not be alive I now carry chambered. I have a good holster that covers the trigger and never remove the glock except for cleaning. It is not a toy that I take out and play with, it stays in the holster unless needed.

MikeG36
08-05-2012, 10:41
You need to get some training. Not just the basic training that you go through to qualify for a permit but real defensive handgun training.

I carry one way and one way only - condition one.

M24C
08-05-2012, 11:29
The ultimate goal is Condition 1. If someone runs at you from 21 feet away. The average person could get to you in 1.5 seconds with whatever weapon they have. So you have that long to draw and fire.

If you have to rack the slide, it will take too long.

There are way too many scenarios you will not have time to rack the slide.

Don't get me wrong, having the gun on you is great. Until you are comfortable with a good holster that covers the trigger. Get some training with your gun and holster. To give you the confidence to carry with one in the chamber. For some it doesn't come right away. There are just very large time advantages with C1 over C3.

happyguy
08-05-2012, 15:34
People draw some strange conclusions from watching the Tueller Drill.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

Spiffums
08-05-2012, 16:37
Hello folks,
my everyday carry.
Same with a 1911 c&l.

Thanks-Ron

You need 1 of 2 things...........either get some training and carry the gun like your supposed to.......or get a rape whistle.

MonsterB
08-07-2012, 15:43
You need 1 of 2 things...........either get some training and carry the gun like your supposed to.......or get a rape whistle.
Agreed. If you are too timid to carry a Glock loaded, you probably shouldnt be carrying. Get alot more practice and training and you wont have that problem any more.

rong
08-07-2012, 16:53
Don't get cocky and disrespectful.
You never know who has seen the elephant.

X-Aggie95
08-07-2012, 19:08
I put one in the pipe this evening on my way out to dinner. First time for me, but not carrying.

Its a process and only you can determine when you are ready. Someone further up said it best. I started to become uncomfortable with the fact that I had a sidearm and it wasn't ready for use. I always try to practice SA, but unfortunately bad things do happen when you least expect, even heading out to your local restaurant.

defend2nd
08-07-2012, 21:19
As much as I'd hate to recommend something other than a Glock for concealed carry, I think you would be more at peace with a pistol with a safety, either a manual lever-type safety or a grip-type safety. With that said, always one in the chamber.

David

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 21:27
Only time i've ever carried a glock without one in the pipe, was when i only owned one weapon, a colt python, and i traded it at my local GS for a glock 37, bought a bunch of ammo, put night sights on, ghost trigger kit............used up every penny i had.

Got to the car in the parking lot and remembered i forgot to buy a holster. However not having any more funds period. I opted to shove it in my waistband at the 4 o clock position, Before doing so i made sure there was no chamber round because i didnt wanna toast my behind :-D

When i have a proper holster. it is always +1....that extra second can save your life.

WarEagle32
08-09-2012, 14:20
Years ago I asked my police chief father in law this question about carrying one chambered many years ago when I first started carrying. He told me some wise words. If you carry a gun without one in the chamber when it comes time to use it you might as well throw it at the them. He was right. I started keeping in the pipe right then and have never stopped!

Vettefinatic
08-09-2012, 15:04
I know I need to get some sort of holster, maybe the MIC many mention here.

...And that's the thing - how comfortable should I be?

...At home, the mag is inserted but not chambered. Once I start carrying, I will not have one in the chamber.

Congrats on the new G23. Love mine. I'm new to the forum, but have read several posts to this thread and had to chime in.
1. The holster that will work best for you is the one you need. Sounds stupid till you think of your underwear. Your buddy may like his BVD whitties, but you know what you like after enough experimenting. Unfortunately, you may have to spend a lot in holsters to find the right one. You may also chose different ones for different occasions. The holster I would use for a long summer day at Disney wouldn't be the same for a jacket and tie date.

2. You can NEVER be comfortable enough IMHO. Practice is like money. You can't have enough. Perfection cannot and will not be obtained, so keep it up. To me "getting comfortable" equates to complacency. I'm too afraid of an accident not to keep practicing and keep checking my weapon. So, FWIW, keep it up.

3. Carrying chambered (and at home). Worrying about accidents means you haven't gotten complacent, so that's good. Continued training will help here. CCW is a huge burden. It's not just exercising your 2nd Ammendment rights, protecting yourself and family, or being the one to stop a nut in his tracks. It's all that AND the responsibility of making sure that weapon is safe and in safe hands at all times. Ritualistic practice is paramount.

So, back to the original thread here. Carrying one "in the pipe" IS for CCW folks. It just involves A LOT of training on your part.
Reaction times are not what you think, and threats are a lot closer than you think. Just PLEASE keep training. Had mine for 15 years and I can always find room for improvement. Good luck and thanks for taking on the responsibility seriously.

RevDerb
08-09-2012, 15:26
Hello folks,
my everyday carry.
Same with a 1911 c&l.

Thanks-Ron
Please, let us know how that works out if you really have to respond with your weapon - you or your next-of-kin.

X-Aggie95
08-10-2012, 05:09
So, back to the original thread here. Carrying one "in the pipe" IS for CCW folks. It just involves A LOT of training on your part.
Reaction times are not what you think, and threats are a lot closer than you think. Just PLEASE keep training. Had mine for 15 years and I can always find room for improvement. Good luck and thanks for taking on the responsibility seriously.

Yep. Always room for improvement.

ashecht
08-10-2012, 12:13
finger off the trigger until ready to fire....When I draw my G30, the combat cut on my Theiss holster allows me to draw it out, without my trigger finger ever touching the gun. Instinctively I draw with my index finger already "pointing" and ready to rest along the slide, so I feel perfectly comfortable with "one in the pipe" and I wouldnt carry any other way. With statistics showing that a bg can close a distance of several yards in a second or so, I dont want to be wasting precious milliseconds racking the slide, IMHO.

PettyOfficer
08-10-2012, 13:00
I have a good holster that covers the trigger and never remove the glock except for cleaning. It is not a toy that I take out and play with, it stays in the holster unless needed.

I read this in agreement but then said to myself, "oh, wait.."

I think you'll agree that safe & clear dry fire practice is not considered 'playing'.

Zeebra724
08-10-2012, 15:04
Love my Galco Summer Comfort leather holster--the trigger guard is completely covered and it allows an extremely fast draw combined with great retention...and I carry my G17 ready for defense of my family or myself...and I don't put my finger on the trigger until I know I'm planning on shooting my target...so--I always carry with a round chambered.
http://timeredemption.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_0749.jpg

CigarandScotch
08-10-2012, 16:28
Love my Galco Summer Comfort leather holster--the trigger guard is completely covered and it allows an extremely fast draw combined with great retention...and I carry my G17 ready for defense of my family or myself...and I don't put my finger on the trigger until I know I'm planning on shooting my target...so--I always carry with a round chambered.
http://timeredemption.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/img_0749.jpg

That is precisely the holster I want to get for my G17. Looks perfect!

ICARRY2
08-15-2012, 20:41
Please Google the Tueller Drill and let me know how you fair. Thanks.

This.

janice6
08-15-2012, 21:01
Me too. I saw a video about the Israelis who carry unchambered. There routine for rack and fire was impressive.Practice................

When the whole population is armed, this method works for the lowest common denominator.

Confidence comes with experience. :wavey:

Zeebra724
08-16-2012, 20:16
[delete]

pspez
08-16-2012, 21:18
Yep, Have 3. One on Ruger LCR, one on Glock 27, the other Glock 23

Glockworks
08-17-2012, 19:27
Hello folks,