Ebola spreading to Ugandan Capital [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ebola spreading to Ugandan Capital

Bilbo Bagins
07-31-2012, 07:36
Something to watch

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/uganda-bans-physical-contact-ebola-reaches-capital-112905767.html

CitizenOfDreams
07-31-2012, 07:56
Third world problems.

HalfHazzard
07-31-2012, 09:45
One plane flight and its an entire world problem. Just don't get coughed on or touch body fluids and you should be OK though.

lawman800
07-31-2012, 22:07
One plane flight and its an entire world problem. Just don't get coughed on or touch body fluids and you should be OK though.

Didn't this get made into a few movies?:whistling:

rhikdavis
08-01-2012, 05:53
Guess I'm cancelling my Ugandan mail order bride.

CitizenOfDreams
08-01-2012, 06:36

You wouldn't get her anyway since USPS is going bankrupt August 1st.

lawman800
08-01-2012, 07:22

That's not so bad. I have to try to get my money back from the Uganda Timeshare and cancel the trip to the Uganda Group Hug Seminar.:whistling:

Bren
08-01-2012, 08:39
If everybody in Africa really died from all of the stuff that's going to wipe them out every few years, we'd have had a whole empty continent full of resources and a less overpopulated world decades ago.

CitizenOfDreams
08-01-2012, 09:25
If everybody in Africa really died from all of the stuff that's going to wipe them out every few years, we'd have had a whole empty continent full of resources and a less overpopulated world decades ago.

Can you imagine how fast the population would grow and who it would be comprised of if not for those diseases? Uganda's fertility rate is 2nd in the world, 6.65 children born per woman. (The US has 121st place at 2.06).

lawman800
08-01-2012, 22:12

Can you imagine how fast the population would grow and who it would be comprised of if not for those diseases? Uganda's fertility rate is 2nd in the world, 6.65 children born per woman. (The US has 121st place at 2.06).

Maybe the birth rates are high in those countries with high infant mortality or short life expectancies because of that exact reason... they know they have to reproduce more to ensure the survival of their people.

When you can have 1 or 2 kids and you know both will very likely live to their old age like here, we don't have the need to give birth to a lot of kids to carry on. When you have 6 or 8 kids and you expect only a few to live to adulthood, your paradigm shifts and you might just want to have more.

You see this exact same mechanism at work in nature with animals. The ones who don't care for their young like insects and fish have tons and tons of offsprings and out of the thousands or millions born, enough survive out of the huge mortality rate, while mammals and other animals with maternal instincts and higher survival rates, the birth rate is much lower.

It's just the laws of nature that when you can't ensure your brood will live on to carry your genes, you have more offsprings to hedge your bets.

In all seriousness, even though I jest about this topic, it's a natural part of life in countries where there is no real infrastructure or functioning government which can care for its people. No value judgments here, but it is what it is.

nmk
08-02-2012, 08:55
Maybe the birth rates are high in those countries with high infant mortality or short life expectancies because of that exact reason... they know they have to reproduce more to ensure the survival of their people.

When you can have 1 or 2 kids and you know both will very likely live to their old age like here, we don't have the need to give birth to a lot of kids to carry on. When you have 6 or 8 kids and you expect only a few to live to adulthood, your paradigm shifts and you might just want to have more.

You see this exact same mechanism at work in nature with animals. The ones who don't care for their young like insects and fish have tons and tons of offsprings and out of the thousands or millions born, enough survive out of the huge mortality rate, while mammals and other animals with maternal instincts and higher survival rates, the birth rate is much lower.

It's just the laws of nature that when you can't ensure your brood will live on to carry your genes, you have more offsprings to hedge your bets.

In all seriousness, even though I jest about this topic, it's a natural part of life in countries where there is no real infrastructure or functioning government which can care for its people. No value judgments here, but it is what it is.

Bingo.

TangoFoxtrot
08-03-2012, 04:16

The problem there is not only ebola its also birth control..or a lack of it. When we send them plane loads of food maybe we should be teaching them not to breed like rabbits.:upeyes:

Bren
08-03-2012, 06:30
The biggest problem with ebola in Uganda? It's not Zimbabwe.

magic
08-10-2012, 09:33
You wouldn't get her anyway since USPS is going bankrupt August 1st.

Aren't you keeping up? USPS will just hand her off to UPS and deliver her to the wrong house Once he fills out the appropriate forms, she will be rerouted and delivered by FedEx.

pugman
08-10-2012, 12:08
Well, the world is due for a pandemic....

Alchemy
08-11-2012, 10:36
Didn't this get made into a few movies?:whistling:

I can't speak for the movies, but it was the premise for one
of Tom Clancy's novels. The name of the novel evades me.

In Clancy's book a group of terriorists unleash the virus at
various spots around the US causing thousands of deaths.

If one knows anything about the ebola virus, it's a terrible
way to die.

pugman
08-11-2012, 16:50
I can't speak for the movies, but it was the premise for one
of Tom Clancy's novels. The name of the novel evades me.

In Clancy's book a group of terriorists unleash the virus at
various spots around the US causing thousands of deaths.

If one knows anything about the ebola virus, it's a terrible
way to die.

I believe you are referring to Executive Orders

UneasyRider
08-11-2012, 17:05
Well, the world is due for a pandemic....

I really think the same thing about our world having the occasional pandemic now and then and we are certainly due for one. It's just one more thing that we are due for...

Alchemy
08-11-2012, 17:18
I believe you are referring to Executive Orders

Yup, thank's pug. It's a great read if you're a Clancy fan.

pugman
08-11-2012, 18:36
I really think the same thing about our world having the occasional pandemic now and then and we are certainly due for one. It's just one more thing that we are due for...

As much as I would LOVE the chance to take on the walking dead, a pandemic is probably one of the top three most reasonable SHTF scenarios (a major economic collaspe and war being the other two IMO)

A super volcano, an asteroid collision or a mega tsunami caused from a volcanic erruption in the Canary Islands wiping out most of the east coast are real world possibilities - but they are rare.

Strains of the Hong Kong Flu still circulate in the population, there was just an person who became infected by the The Black Plague in Seattle; a friend of a friend of a friend (yes, this is a real connection) works at the CDC and they at least have ongoing research into if AIDS could ever go airborne or at least become contagious like the flu.

Remember this genius who intentionally created a super flu? I understand the need for the research but one of these buggers "walks out on someone's shoe" and then what?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2077232/Scientist-deliberately-created-Armageddon-bird-flu-virus-lab-says-publish-details.html

The only real downside to the movie Contagion is it gives less enlightened people the excuse "oh, that was a movie."

lawman800
08-11-2012, 21:10
I liked Contagion because they killed off Gwenneth Paltrow right away... the bad side of it was that they didn't kill off Matt Damon (MATT DAYMUN!!!!) right away.

kirgi08
08-11-2012, 21:25
:shame: :tongueout: