Pages : [1] 2 3

Lone_Wolfe
07-31-2012, 08:44
Rest in Peace, Jeff Abshire
1962-2012
aka 23Skidoo
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Jeff/InHouse.jpg

Heaven needed another angel, so the took the very best. :patriot:

Rest well, Jeff, you are loved by many, and will be missed by all who were lucky enough to know you. Kind, gentle souls like you are a rare find.

Updates from the last several weeks of Jeff's struggle against a second stroke are still below.

Jeff, AKA 23 Skidoo is in a hospice in Charleston, WV. He's expected to live less than a week from now, and his family is heartbroken. I hate it too, but hate that he's suffering even more.

Any posts directed at him will be read to him when I get there, along with most of the posts already in here. If you want to say something to him, now's your last chance. :angel:

This is the rundown since he had the stroke at the end of July.

He's had another stroke, his second in 2 years. This one sounds even worse than the first, from what his sister-in-law has said so far. This is what she posted initially,

"I AM ASKING FOR PRAYERS FOR MY BROTHER-N-LAW. HE HAS HAD ANOTHER STROKE THIS MORNING AND AS OF RIGHT NOW THINGS DON'T LOOK VERY GOOD. SO PLEASE ASK GOD TO HELP HIM RECOVER."

Please send up prayers, mojo, good thoughts, etc for one of our own who needs it right now. Skidoo is a great guy and a good friend to many.

ETA: Here's the sad update from his sister as of the next day,

"To Jeff's friends and family. He had another stroke,on Sunday morning. He has lost his ability to speak and to swallow. He has directives that do not allow a feeding tube, ventilator, etc. Since he can't swallow his saliva is collecting in his lungs and he will get phenumonia. He can still communicate with thumbs up and down and he has chosen to go to Hubbard Hosoice House to die. They say it will be about ten days. Please pray for God to comfort him and make this journey go as painlessly as possible.:

Update Sept 3;

Jeff had changed his mind, decided he wanted to try to live, and was taken to a nursing home to recover and get the therapy he needs. Things didn't go well, the nursing home staff apparently didn't do much for him at all, and he was taken back in the emergency room with serious problems. He struggled and recovered enough to be returned to a nursing home, and got lucky and was sent to one that's really trying to help him. He fought hard for a month, really tried to live, but it's not going to happen.

Jeff's sister just called me to tell me that he's decided to go back to hospice. He's fought hard, but this is just too much for him to overcome, and he's in pain. As bad as it hurts, we both support him 100% in this. I don't know yet which hospice he'll end up in, but please visit him if you can. I want to so badly, but can't skip another dose of chemo. She did put me on the phone with Jeff, I was able to tell him again how I feel and how much of a difference he's made in my life, and how much I'll miss him. He's loved by so many.

She posted this update a few minutes ago.

"My baby brother, Jeff, is back in Hubbard House Hospice, in room 18. They give him a week or less. He is just tired of fighting. Please pray for a peaceful passing, as he has been in so much misery for the past couple of weeks. The Hubbard House is across from the Job Corps."

Dan_ntx
07-31-2012, 08:47
Prayers and best wishes sent.

stolenphot0
07-31-2012, 08:48
Sending the good mojo his way

G19Tony
07-31-2012, 08:55
On the way.

ERASER
07-31-2012, 08:58
Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

DRhodes
07-31-2012, 09:07
Prayers out

HercG23
07-31-2012, 09:07
God bless and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

MasterShake
07-31-2012, 09:21
Prayers sent. He's such an easy going, good guy..

dango
07-31-2012, 09:23
Prayers sent to his family and speedy recovery.

redbaron007
07-31-2012, 09:31
Sent!! :worried:

:sadangel:

bruzer
07-31-2012, 09:34
Prayer sent.
Mike

schild
07-31-2012, 10:05
Prayers sent............

CJStudent
07-31-2012, 10:06
Prayers sent!

Bill Keith
07-31-2012, 12:08
Prayers sent! I was graced by God and The Holy Spirit. I had one on the 7/19 this year in the cerebellum that affect coordination and balance. 2 mm in size, hospital for 4 days and back home, back to work.

Folks, know what your blood pressure is. If diet and exercise doesn't get it down, try meds. There are many blood pressure meds you can get for $4 a month as they are generic:wavey::wavey:

eracer
07-31-2012, 12:12
Prayers for him and his family.

My grandmother had a stroke at 82, and they gave her Last Rites in the hospital. She had speech and motor defects for two years after she was released, but with therapy and pure stubborn, hard-headed will (and the Grace of God) she recovered enough to speak well, and be reasonably ambulatory until near her death at 91.

It can be done.

Steel Head
07-31-2012, 13:38
Sending the good mojo his way
And some more:wavey:

deputy tom
07-31-2012, 14:15
Prayers sent. tom.

2bgop
07-31-2012, 14:36
Done.

m2hmghb
07-31-2012, 15:54
Prayers sent

Magnus2131
07-31-2012, 16:04
Prayers sent. A really good guy.

Lone_Wolfe
07-31-2012, 16:31
I talked with his sister and got really sad news. This is what she posted on his facebook page,

"To friends and family. He had another stroke,on Sunday morning. He has lost his ability to speak and to swallow. He has directives that do not allow a feeding tube, ventilator, etc. Since he can't swallow his saliva is collecting in his lungs and he will get phenumonia. He can still communicate with thumbs up and down and he has chosen to go to Hubbard Hosoice House to die. They say it will be about ten days. Please pray for God to comfort him and make this journey go as painlessly as possible.:

I'm just crying right now.

Buki192327
07-31-2012, 16:35
Prayers to 23Skidoo, his family and friends.

deputy tom
07-31-2012, 16:38
More prayers sent. tom.

Hines57
07-31-2012, 16:47
Prayers sent for a gentle passing

CJStudent
07-31-2012, 16:51
More prayers en route...............

:hugs:

Alchemy
07-31-2012, 17:26
More prayers on the way......

Magnus2131
07-31-2012, 18:04
God bless you Skidoo!

RottnJP
07-31-2012, 18:09
Oh man, very sorry to hear of this sudden downturn. :(

Prayers sent...

spork
07-31-2012, 18:24
God bless 23Skidoo, his family, and his friends with peace and the comfort of love in these final days.

tous
07-31-2012, 18:53
:angel: :hugs:

Best wishes and prayers for a speedy recovery.

Restless28
07-31-2012, 18:58
I'm praying for the comforting embrace of our heavenly father for 23Skidoo and peace as he goes home.

nursetim
07-31-2012, 19:32
Prayers inbound.

Bow Commander
07-31-2012, 19:43
Godspeed 23Skidoo. Prayers are with you.

Mrs.Cicero
07-31-2012, 19:51
Prayers sent.

Mrs.Cicero

costanza187
07-31-2012, 20:09
Prayers and best wishes sent!

Von Hayes
07-31-2012, 20:21
Lost my mom to this exact same scenario this past April.

May he find peace.

Lone_Wolfe
07-31-2012, 20:28
God bless 23Skidoo, his family, and his friends with peace and the comfort of love in these final days.

Thank you all. This is so hard for me, and even harder for his family. His sister is really hurting right now. They lost Skidoo's brother last year to pancreatic cancer, now she'll be the only one left. They're a close family, I'm crying for her, too.

waawaaweenie
07-31-2012, 20:28
sent

hope he is comfortable

MasterShake
07-31-2012, 20:36
Wow...poor guy.....I'll pray for a peaceful passing into heaven. Like I said before, such a great, easy going guy. He'll be popular up there, I'm sure of it. :angel: :wavey:

AA_Khost
07-31-2012, 20:48
I'll keep 23Skidoo in my prayers as well as his family!

Diesel McBadass
07-31-2012, 20:54
hope your reading this skidoo we all want ya pullin through

ked
07-31-2012, 20:57
praying for him and his family.

ked

Tow/Repo
07-31-2012, 22:15
Praying with you 23Skidoo.

Prayers sent for family and friends.

sdsnet
07-31-2012, 22:28
Prayers sent and continue for Skidoo and his friends and family.

sdsnet

*ASH*
07-31-2012, 22:36
prayers from us in nc , i wish the family comfort and understanding during this bad time .

ATL Peach Girl
07-31-2012, 23:15
I am especially tore up about this news about Jeff.........

I have been following the developments on Facebook and it is not looking good, Jeff does not want to live with a feeding tube, and wants to go with dignity. None the less, there is no more classier of a human being than Jeff......as evidenced by one of his lasts posts just this last Saturday in the Lone Wolfe thread, talking to Lone and staying strong for her......it made tears come to my eyes, and it will do the same to yours--he said:

"Sweetheart, the world is most definitely a better place with you in it. Please don't lose sight of that."

God Bless you Jeff as you transition from this life into the next. :angel:

Lone_Wolfe
07-31-2012, 23:21
I am especially tore up about this news about Jeff.........

I have been following the developments on Facebook and it is not looking good, Jeff does not want to live with a feeding tube, and wants to go with dignity. None the less, there is no more classier of a human being than Jeff......as evidenced by one of his lasts posts just this last Saturday in the Lone Wolfe thread, talking to Lone and staying strong for her......it made tears come to my eyes, and it will do the same to yours--he said:

"Sweetheart, the world is most definitely a better place with you in it. Please don't lose sight of that."

God Bless you Jeff as you transition from this life into the next. :angel:

I've reread that post a dozen times today, and all I can think about is how true it is about him, too.

ATL Peach Girl
07-31-2012, 23:38
can this thread be stickied????

Lone_Wolfe
07-31-2012, 23:43
can this thread be stickied????

Good idea. I reported it to ask Mrs VR if she will.

Folsom_Prison
07-31-2012, 23:57
LW I don't know what to say! This is terrible, stuff like this I'm lost for words I'm sure you understand. I wish him the best and hope it all works out peaceful for him, he's always seemed like a great guy in my book.

A.J.

skeeter7
07-31-2012, 23:58
Sending prayers his way...

MB-G26
08-01-2012, 00:58
I can hardly believe this is happening............

Wishes for Strength, Love, Hope, and Peace for Jeff, his entire and extended family, local friends, special friends, LW especially..... to all, coming from the deepest part of my heart.

Detectorist
08-01-2012, 01:21
Dang....I hope things work out for the best.

NEOH212
08-01-2012, 02:14
Prayers sent. God be with him and all of your family.

sawgrass
08-01-2012, 07:21
I can hardly believe this is happening............

Wishes for Strength, Love, Hope, and Peace for Jeff, his entire and extended family, local friends, special friends, LW especially..... to all, coming from the deepest part of my heart.

This is about where I'm at. Unbelievable.

Hopefully Peachie or LW can keep this thread updated
for those of us who don't facebook.

Peachie were you able to visit him the last time that he was sick? IIRC you mentioned it, but I don't recall if you've posted about seeing him since you visited with him and LW in Atlanta.

I agree that his words have been full of grace and love especially where LW is concerned.

TheExplorer
08-01-2012, 07:49
:angel:God bless...

Dinky
08-01-2012, 07:54
Done..

Mrs. VR
08-01-2012, 08:20
:sad:

Per request,I'm sticking this for a few days. Keep us posted.

Brucev
08-01-2012, 08:28
Just found this post. Extreme regrets. Prayers. Sincerely. Brucev.

Lone_Wolfe
08-01-2012, 09:22
:sad:

Per request,I'm sticking this for a few days. Keep us posted.

Thank you, Mrs VR. And thank you everyone for your kind words of support and prayer. He's being moved to the hospics today, and I was given the OK to post his address for anyone who wants to send anything or visit if you're local.

Jeff Abshire
Room 1
The Hubbard Hospice House
1001 Kennawa Drive
Charleston, WV 25311

Sam Spade
08-01-2012, 13:39
I pray for a gentle passing and a welcome to the arms of a loving God.

Psalm 91:
3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
5 You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

Lone_Wolfe
08-01-2012, 18:00
He's settled in at the hospice, and his sister-in-law posted this update,

"I am here sitting with my brother Jeff at the hospice house. Jeff had a stroke Sunday and he has lost his speech and he can communicate by thumb up or down for yes or no. Jeff has made the decision to come here to pass away. The doctor said it should be about 10 days. So please pray for my family. His sister and I are taking turns sitting with him because we don't want him to be alone. So prayers are asked for our family."

I'm so glad they're staying there with him, I'd hate for him to be alone now. I've gotten the OK from my oncologist to travel, and the called the airline for travel assistance and they're going to get me up there ASAP. I hope to be up there while he can still recognize me.

BobInTX
08-01-2012, 18:16
Oh that is wonderful. I'm so glad you can go, for both your sakes.

Remember, it's not "goodbye", it's "see you later". :hugs:

Tell him I'm holding his hand. :crying:

RussP
08-01-2012, 18:46
I pray for a gentle passing and a welcome to the arms of a loving God.

Psalm 91:
3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
5 You will not fear the terror of the night, nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness, nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.Amen...

stolenphot0
08-01-2012, 18:59
Never met the man, but glad he has great friends and family to be there for him.

Zonny
08-01-2012, 18:59
Wolfe, I know you must have a box full of PMs but please prioritize mine.

GlocknSpiehl
08-01-2012, 19:45
God bless him and make his passing an easy, gentle exit from his earthly shell.

CBennett
08-01-2012, 19:57
He's had another stroke, his second in 2 years. This one sounds even worse than the first, from what his sister-in-law has said so far. This is what she posted initially,

"I AM ASKING FOR PRAYERS FOR MY BROTHER-N-LAW. HE HAS HAD ANOTHER STROKE THIS MORNING AND AS OF RIGHT NOW THINGS DON'T LOOK VERY GOOD. SO PLEASE ASK GOD TO HELP HIM RECOVER."

And this is the update she gave me late last night,

"LONE UPDATE.....HE HASN'T WOKE UP YET BUT WHEN I GOT UP THERE I STARTED I STARTED PESTERING HIM TO WAKE UP AND HE DID OPEN HIS EYES BUT ONLY FOR A FEW SECONDS. HE IS MOVING BOTH LEGS AND BOTH ARMS. HE JUST WON'T WAKE UP YET. THE BLEED IN THE BRAIN IS ON THE RIGHT SIDE THIS TIME. THIS STROKE CAME OUT OF NOWHERE. THANK GOD HIS SISTER WAS THERE TO CALL 911 AND GET HIM TO THE HOSPITAL. I'LL TALK TO YOU TOMORROW AFTER I GET BACK FROM HOSPITAL AND GIVE YOU AN UPDATE"

Please send up prayers, mojo, good thoughts, etc for one of our own who needs it right now. Skidoo is a great guy and a good friend to many.

ETA: Here's the sad update from his sister as of this afternoon,

"To friends and family. He had another stroke,on Sunday morning. He has lost his ability to speak and to swallow. He has directives that do not allow a feeding tube, ventilator, etc. Since he can't swallow his saliva is collecting in his lungs and he will get phenumonia. He can still communicate with thumbs up and down and he has chosen to go to Hubbard Hosoice House to die. They say it will be about ten days. Please pray for God to comfort him and make this journey go as painlessly as possible.:

godbless hoping for a miracle.

Case de Callier
08-01-2012, 21:50
Prayers to 23Skidoo, and his family.

Magnus2131
08-02-2012, 08:18
I'm so glad you are going to see him. Please tell him everyone is thinking and praying for him.

Silent_Runner
08-02-2012, 10:50
Prayers sent for an easy passing and for his family and friends. He will be missed.:sad:

dango
08-02-2012, 12:14
It is the painful price payed for loving . Prayers sent , Lw , you get better ok ?

Restless28
08-02-2012, 19:38
Continued prayers for Skidoo and all that know and love him.

Hines57
08-02-2012, 19:43
He's settled in at the hospice, and his sister-in-law posted this update,

"I am here sitting with my brother Jeff at the hospice house. Jeff had a stroke Sunday and he has lost his speech and he can communicate by thumb up or down for yes or no. Jeff has made the decision to come here to pass away. The doctor said it should be about 10 days. So please pray for my family. His sister and I are taking turns sitting with him because we don't want him to be alone. So prayers are asked for our family."

I'm so glad they're staying there with him, I'd hate for him to be alone now. I've gotten the OK from my oncologist to travel, and the called the airline for travel assistance and they're going to get me up there ASAP. I hope to be up there while he can still recognize me.

LW, where are you flying to? I have to admit I have been tied up with my own stuff for a bit and don't know all the details, but I think 23Skidoo is in northern WV. I am in central Ohio, maybe a couple hours away. If there is something I can do to help with your travel, let me know.

janice6
08-02-2012, 19:44
Tears, more tears.

Angry Fist
08-02-2012, 19:51
Prayers sent. May he and his family find peace.

Lone_Wolfe
08-02-2012, 21:28
It is the painful price payed for loving . Prayers sent , Lw , you get better ok ?

Yes, it is. I've heard it said that the true measure of a person is the hole they leave behind when they're gone. Well, this is ripping a huge hole in my hearts and the hearts of many others.

I'm sitting beside him in a hospice in Charleston, he's sleeping now. He was happy to see me and cried when I first got here. I did too, this is painful. I'm so glad I could get up here.

sawgrass
08-02-2012, 22:17
LW I am so grateful that you made it there safely.
My love and prayers for you, Jeff and his family.
I have a fire tonight and have prayed.

You have proven over and over again how strong you are.
That may be tested once again. The Creator is with you and Jeff along with all of the prayers and energy of everyone here.

BobInTX
08-02-2012, 22:48
Yes, it is. I've heard it said that the true measure of a person is the hole they leave behind when they're gone. Well, this is ripping a huge hole in my hearts and the hearts of many others.

I'm sitting beside him in a hospice in Charleston, he's sleeping now. He was happy to see me and cried when I first got here. I did too, this is painful. I'm so glad I could get up here.

I'm so glad he was aware and knew you.

Magnus2131
08-02-2012, 23:31

I'm sure you are one of the people he wanted to see most. Glad you made it. God bless you Skidoo!

TBO
08-03-2012, 00:41
Prayers and warm thoughts for all involved, all near, or dear.

Respectfully

TBO

Lone_Wolfe
08-03-2012, 10:23
I'm sure you are one of the people he wanted to see most. Glad you made it. God bless you Skidoo!

I think you're right about that. He seems more energetic today. He's been just able to give a :thumbsup: or thumbsdown to yes or no questions. This morning I was laying in the rollout bed beside him and aske if he was ready for a hug, and instead of a thumb he waved me over. He's also decided he wants to try to live, and going to be taken back to the hospital for a swallowing evaluation shortly. Waiting for the nurses here to get the ball rolling on that and I'll keep everyone posted.

Please amp up your prayers for this change to continue, and recovery to be possible. This is Jeff's choice to try.

BobInTX
08-03-2012, 10:31
That's great news!

Okay, here's what I want both of you to do:

FIGHT LIKE HELL! :thumbsup:

Magnus2131
08-03-2012, 10:58
This is awesome news. I pray he finds the strength.

Zonny
08-03-2012, 12:48
I think you're right about that. He seems more energetic today. He's been just able to give a :thumbsup: or thumbsdown to yes or no questions. This morning I was laying in the rollout bed beside him and aske if he was ready for a hug, and instead of a thumb he waved me over. He's also decided he wants to try to live, and going to be taken back to the hospital for a swallowing evaluation shortly. Waiting for the nurses here to get the ball rolling on that and I'll keep everyone posted.

Please amp up your prayers for this change to continue, and recovery to be possible. This is Jeff's choice to try.

So, it appears that you have inspired this man to fight for life (and i believe it to be the second time). Interesting.

Do you still struggle with why your life was spared? :whistling:

kcb
08-03-2012, 12:59
Prayers are going up for this family! I haven't been in the GNG Lounge for a while...busy summer, so I'm sorry I'm here so late to send my prayers!

May God's comforting arms surround the patient and his family and loved ones and grant everyone a peace that passes all human understanding during this very difficult
time!

God bless you, all!

:angel: :angel: :angel: :hugs:

CJStudent
08-03-2012, 13:49
So, it appears that you have inspired this man to fight for life (and i believe it to be the second time). Interesting.

And THIS, my dear, is what you need to keep in mind!

deputy tom
08-03-2012, 18:42
More prayers sent. tom.

Sam Spade
08-03-2012, 19:30

"For I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me..."

Lady, you're on the front line now. You're in my prayers, but I know you'll be all right.

Lone_Wolfe
08-03-2012, 22:02

Actuslly it wasn't me that caused him to change his mind, it was a couple things. He was coming out of the depression that strokes often cause, and more importantly, he was improving in spite of not getting care beyond making him comfortable. His sister commented to me about how he was more alert every day, a lot more active and he's regaining the ability to swallow. We didn't know that until this afternoon, but he did. He also said "Hi" to his cousin today, his first word after the stroke. So I think he'd have changed his mind even if I hadn't come up here, but I'm still glad I did.

Lone_Wolfe
08-03-2012, 22:11
"For I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me..."

Lady, you're on the front line now. You're in my prayers, but I know you'll be all right.

Thank you, Sam.

The latest news is that he's settled in at Charleston General now, room 404. Hopefully the swallowing eval gets done tomorrow, so firmer decisions about his treatment can be made. He's made it clear that he still refuses a respirator, CPR, or anything like that. He's willing to accept a feeding and an NG tube, and that's all. Hopefully it'll be enough.

Zonny, look who made it to the hospital today! :wavey:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Kitties/Mitch2Ready.jpg

MasterShake
08-03-2012, 23:20
Haha, look at you Miss Fancy, Louie Vattoned up! :cool:

Like I've said, I have faith he'll pull through! Stay strong sweetheart!

Lone_Wolfe
08-03-2012, 23:43
Haha, look at you Miss Fancy, Louie Vattoned up! :cool:

Like I've said, I have faith he'll pull through! Stay strong sweetheart!

Who said that was mine? :wavey:

I hope so, now that he wants to.

MasterShake
08-04-2012, 00:10
Who said that was mine? :wavey:
:tongueout:

tous
08-04-2012, 01:19
My thoughts and prayers are again with Jeff, his friends and family.
It's always hard when a good man leaves us. :angel:
And good for you and yoru compassion, Lone_Wolfe.

Lakota
08-04-2012, 05:37
This thread must first offer its author's most sincere prayers for Lone Wolfe's 'Skidoo' - that the onset of the incumbent stroke recede and vanish, displaced by the healthy condition enjoyed by Skidoo before his ailment.

Double entry, please refer to the fulfilled missive...

BobInTX
08-04-2012, 08:01
Lookin' Good, Gato!

Skidoo just made my day.

MARINE DIVISION TWO
08-04-2012, 08:02
Praying for You & your Family !

Zonny
08-04-2012, 08:45
Zonny, look who made it to the hospital today! :wavey:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Kitties/Mitch2Ready.jpg

:thumbsup: i hope Jeff was glad to see him.

Lone_Wolfe
08-04-2012, 09:24
:thumbsup: i hope Jeff was glad to see him.

He sure was, I held Mitch Jr up and Jeff held out him good arm to take him. Then he gave him a kiss and cuddled him close. Same treatment he gave Mandy when he saw her on Thursday.

kcb
08-04-2012, 09:54

That is good news, LW!!!

Prayers continue!!! I didn't see this post when I posted yesterday!

Miracles still happen! :thumbsup: :angel:

Magnus2131
08-04-2012, 10:10
I'm so glad to see good news. I sure hope he continues to make progress. Way to go Skidoo!

Zonny
08-04-2012, 10:11
He sure was, I held Mitch Jr up and Jeff held out him good arm to take him. Then he gave him a kiss and cuddled him close. Same treatment he gave Mandy when he saw her on Thursday.

Excellent! Make sure those kitties mind their P & Qs while visiting the hospital. :wavey:

Lady Glock
08-04-2012, 12:15
A prayer thread was posted on FR for Skidoo...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2914611/posts

Alcoy
08-04-2012, 14:17
prayers sent.

kat1950
08-04-2012, 19:42
God Bless, be strong

Lone_Wolfe
08-04-2012, 23:16
A prayer thread was posted on FR for Skidoo...
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2914611/posts

Thank you for doing that. :wavey:

Excellent! Make sure those kitties mind their P & Qs while visiting the hospital. :wavey:

They're being good at the moment, one is curled up on each side of Jeff's neck. I think Mandy is glad to get a break from me. I heard they were bad kitties when I wasn't here, though. :rofl:

I'm so glad to see good news. I sure hope he continues to make progress. Way to go Skidoo!

I sure hope so too, but the news wasn't so good today. This from his sister's fb page,

"Keep your prayers up for Jeff. It's possible that the water and applesauce have been going into his lungs. He failed his swallowing test today, but he will have a camera evaluation monday morning. It is a surgical procedure, so pray hard, otherwise we are back to square one."

The big concerns here are than he may have pneumonia beginning in his lungs, and also that he may not regain enough ability to swallow that he could have the feeding tube removed in the future. If that's the case, he'd never be able to leave a nursing home, and that's not what he wants. We'll have more answers on Monday, but if the prognosis is bad, Jeff may choose to go back to the hospice. None of us would blame him, but we hope things get better between now and Monday. Please keep praying.

That is good news, LW!!!

Prayers continue!!! I didn't see this post when I posted yesterday!

Miracles still happen! :thumbsup: :angel:

We still need a few more, so keep up those prayers! :wavey:

Magnus2131
08-04-2012, 23:42
Yes I had no expectations just hope. Still praying. I'm sure he is fighting as hard as he can. At least family and friends have brought the fight back to him. I pray for the best, whatever that may be.

cmb19
08-05-2012, 07:55
:crying: I only have my own experiences with swallowing tests/feeding tubes, so I don't really understand "other" situations, but why can't he have a feeding tube and leave a nursing home? I'm sure in all the times I've read about feeding tubes (trying to understand my issues) I read that people take care of babies and children with feeding tubes at home.

They really aren't difficult to take care of. I know he's a smart guy and obviously has friends and family willing to help him out, I would think he would be fine at home with a feeding tube. Or wait, I'm thinking the feeding tube in the stomach wall, that's what you mean right? Or do they have him with the one in the nose?

Regardless, I REALLY hope he doesn't have pneumonia.

Buki192327
08-05-2012, 17:07
Prayers for 23Skidoo, Hope that there is no pneumonia and that the water and applesauce are not going into his lungs.

USSOCOM
08-05-2012, 18:33
Great news, I pray he does not get pneumonia and he can his swallowing reflex returns.

God Bless!

Lone_Wolfe
08-05-2012, 22:09
Yes I had no expectations just hope. Still praying. I'm sure he is fighting as hard as he can. At least family and friends have brought the fight back to him. I pray for the best, whatever that may be.

I don't know which way it'll go at this point, I can only hope. As long as he wants to live, I and his family and friends are all behind him. It won't be easy, but he's got family here who loves him. Tomorrow we'll have more info, he's having the video swallowing test done. Hopefully he'll do well. He may not be able to swallow yet, but we're hoping he's moving toward regaining that ability.

:crying: I only have my own experiences with swallowing tests/feeding tubes, so I don't really understand "other" situations, but why can't he have a feeding tube and leave a nursing home? .............

I'm finding out that it may be possible. Of course it'll have to be Jeff's decision to allow that if there's a good chance he'll need it for the rest of his life. I'm still hoping he'll be able to eat normally again. He's a good cook, and enjoys good food to much not to be able to eat.

Prayers for 23Skidoo, Hope that there is no pneumonia and that the water and applesauce are not going into his lungs.

I talked to the nurse today, and she said they don't think he's got pneumonia now, but they'll be watching for it. Hopefully he can avoid that. She also said his breathing is OK, and he's getting enough oxygen, clearing enough CO2, etc. So, some good news there.

Thanks for the prayers. :wavey:

BobInTX
08-05-2012, 22:27
I'm glad he's giving himself a chance to recover. I hope it works out.

Restless28
08-06-2012, 08:19
I don't know which way it'll go at this point, I can only hope. As long as he wants to live, I and his family and friends are all behind him. It won't be easy, but he's got family here who loves him. Tomorrow we'll have more info, he's having the video swallowing test done. Hopefully he'll do well. He may not be able to swallow yet, but we're hoping he's moving toward regaining that ability.

I'm finding out that it may be possible. Of course it'll have to be Jeff's decision to allow that if there's a good chance he'll need it for the rest of his life. I'm still hoping he'll be able to eat normally again. He's a good cook, and enjoys good food to much not to be able to eat.

I talked to the nurse today, and she said they don't think he's got pneumonia now, but they'll be watching for it. Hopefully he can avoid that. She also said his breathing is OK, and he's getting enough oxygen, clearing enough CO2, etc. So, some good news there.

Thanks for the prayers. :wavey:

Thats good news on the pneumonia front. I hope the swallow test goes well. :wavey:

Lone_Wolfe
08-06-2012, 13:49
Thats good news on the pneumonia front. I hope the swallow test goes well. :wavey:

He had that done this morning, and unfortunately he failed completely. Even the thickest of liquids are going into his lungs. This isn't good at all, and I don't know what will happen from here. I do know that he needs a lot of prayers.

Magnus2131
08-06-2012, 13:57
He had that done this morning, and unfortunately he failed completely. Even the thickest of liquids are going into his lungs. This isn't good at all, and I don't know what will happen from here. I do know that he needs a lot of prayers.
Oh my that is not good news. :crying: He is in my thoughts and prayers. I sure don't want him to suffer. Just damn!

Angry Fist
08-06-2012, 17:12
A feeding tube is out of the question?

jakebrake
08-06-2012, 17:29
prayers for skidoo, to have the healing hand of our lord giving him strength.

continued prayers for wolfe as well.

Lone_Wolfe
08-06-2012, 22:23
A feeding tube is out of the question?

He'll be getting one tomorrow. We're all concerned that he'll have to have one for the rest of his life, which wouldn't be good.

Oh my that is not good news. :crying: He is in my thoughts and prayers. I sure don't want him to suffer. Just damn!

No, it's not. Quality of life is a huge concern for his family and I right now. We really don't want him to ever regret his decision to try to live.

prayers for skidoo, to have the healing hand of our lord giving him strength.

continued prayers for wolfe as well.

Thank you, jakebrake.

Here's an update his sister posted.

"Jeff had an emotional day today. He failed his camera swallowing test which means he will have a feeding tube put through his stomach wall tomorrow. He needs enough nourishment for his body to heal. His blood pressure has been extremely high today, the last reading was 213 over 165, which is very dangerous for him. Another emotional event was that Lone_Wolfe had to go back to Alabama today to finish her chemo. On the positive side, he said his first full sentence today. He needs uplifting. Please pray for God to help him heal and be able to LIVE again and not just survive."

His BP being that hight scares me, it fluctuated the whole time I was there. He did say a few words today. They were extremely hard to understand, but we knew what he wanted to say, so could figure out his words.

Magnus2131
08-06-2012, 23:24
All we can do is pray I suppose.

jakebrake
08-07-2012, 14:58
All we can do is pray I suppose.

we can pray harder.

Nestor
08-07-2012, 15:13
Prayers incoming. I'm so sorry to hear that.

CJStudent
08-07-2012, 15:17
More prayers inbound!

Angry Fist
08-07-2012, 15:17
Update?

Agent6-3/8
08-07-2012, 15:19
Prayers sent!

Posted from my iPhone 4s via Outdoor Hub mobile

Lone_Wolfe
08-07-2012, 23:46
Update?

Here's todays updates from his sister. I'm still not giving up hope, and neither is she. This first one she sent to me, and I edited out a few private comments. I'd like to smack that doc she called Mr Morbid.
'
"He was furious with me all night, because I had taken you away. He did forgive me this morning though. The Dr was very discouraging this morning, before his surgery, the Hospitalist. He said Jeff would likely never get any better and always be in the bed. However, before Mr. Morbid cleared a neighbor from Woodbine Ave. came in. She has been a nurse there for over 30 years, and she says that isn't true. She said that tsalking lead to swallowing and that if he is doing well in physical therapy, he will probably be able to walk again. I had the Dr speak to Jeff and tell him what he thought about his, Jeff's, future and Jeff gave thumbs-up when I asked him if he wanted to try to live. The social worker is trying to get him a room in a Nursing Home with Rehabilitation. They are all awful but I found a few that weren't as bad as the others. If he's still in one in 4 months, maybe he can get in a better one with Medicare. I am numb. I don't know where to turn or what to do. Keep us both in your prayers. .......... "

Here's what she posted on FB,

"Jeff had an emotional day today. He failed his camera swallowing test which means he will have a feeding tube put through his stomach wall tomorrow. He needs enough nourishment for his body to heal. His blood pressure has been extremely high today, the last reading was 213 over 165, which is very dangerous for him. Another emotional event was that Lone_Wolfe had to go back home today to finish her chemo. On the positive side, he said his first full sentence today. He needs uplifting. Please pray for God to help him heal and be able to LIVE again and not just survive."

This news has me really worried. I know he wants to try to live, but the idea that he'll regret his decision later scares the hell out of me. I really want him to be happy he's still among us, and to be able to come back here and tell us that. He did say a short sentence yesterday, I forgot to ask what complete sentence he spoke today.

Here's the last BF update she posted, he's got his tube in. That means they can start feeding him after 9 days of no food. :thumbsup: Now we have to start praying she cen get him into a nursing home that'll actually work him and help him get better, instead of just leaving him in a bed to decline.

"Please do Not come visit Jeff until late today or tomorrow. He is recovering from having a food tube put into his stomach and needs all the rest he can get. They want to discharge him from the hospital into a nursing home for rehabilitation. I'm hoping to get him into Marmet, for now. Maybe we can do better when he gets Medicare in 4 months."

Restless28
08-08-2012, 05:38
I'm happy that he has a hopeful nurse. Sometimes hope and encouragement from kind nurses is just the ticket for the patient to be hopeful.

You're a good friend, LW. I would be proud to have a friend like you.

Lone_Wolfe
08-08-2012, 05:48
I hope that nurse can give him enough right now, too. He needs it.

About that friend, maybe you do. You just haven't met me (or them) yet, that's all. You're not terribly far from me.

All prayers, good thoughts and juju are appreciate right now. :wavey:

nursetim
08-08-2012, 06:41
NEVER EVER! Take hope from someone! That is doing harm and violates his hippocratic oath! Telling him that it will take a Herculean effort, yes, that he will not be able to do something. This burns my tuchis.

Half-Breed
08-08-2012, 09:06
I haven't met a hospitalist is this area that I care for. Best to just ignore what the idiot said. Ten days w/o food would affect my ability to swallow, think clearly, etc. Hopefully he will be firmly resolved to live and then fight like hell!

I sincerely hope everything turns out well for Jeff, LW and his sister.

Lone_Wolfe
08-08-2012, 10:46
NEVER EVER! Take hope from someone! That is doing harm and violates his hippocratic oath! Telling him that it will take a Herculean effort, yes, that he will not be able to do something. This burns my tuchis.

Yeah, it chapped mine and his sister's ass pretty good, too. Wish we'd had a nurse like you in the room with us. I'm glad I wasn't there to see him, I'd have gotten myself tossed out of the hospital.

I haven't met a hospitalist is this area that I care for. Best to just ignore what the idiot said. Ten days w/o food would affect my ability to swallow, think clearly, etc. Hopefully he will be firmly resolved to live and then fight like hell!

I sincerely hope everything turns out well for Jeff, LW and his sister.

Thank you, Half-Breed. There's a couple that I met that were OK, one of them I actually liked. Jeff was lucky, the guy was real young, but seemed to really care and have a brain.

Looks like his spirits are good, he's not mad that I had to leave, and gets fed today through his tube. His sister poted an update here,

"Everybody is welcome to visit today! He is doing much better today, they are going to start his feedings today and move him to the Nursing Home, I think. They were talking outside our door that he was being moved out today but noone has spoken to me. Please pray that they send him to a place that can help him. With Medicaid, he doesn't have much of a choice."

She's really sweating which nursing home he goes to, because a lot of them there don't bother doing rehab, which Jeff REALLY needs if he's going to get out of there. Patty sent me this, "Pray that it's Marmet, because they are good to them there." She's done her research, and this is the best one that'll accept what insurance he has, now that his previous insurance ran out.

CJStudent
08-08-2012, 14:27
Yeah, it chapped mine and his sister's ass pretty good, too. Wish we'd had a nurse like you in the room with us. I'm glad I wasn't there to see him, I'd have gotten myself tossed out of the hospital.

Thank you, Half-Breed. There's a couple that I met that were OK, one of them I actually liked. Jeff was lucky, the guy was real young, but seemed to really care and have a brain.

Looks like his spirits are good, he's not mad that I had to leave, and gets fed today through his tube. His sister poted an update here,

"Everybody is welcome to visit today! He is doing much better today, they are going to start his feedings today and move him to the Nursing Home, I think. They were talking outside our door that he was being moved out today but noone has spoken to me. Please pray that they send him to a place that can help him. With Medicaid, he doesn't have much of a choice."

She's really sweating which nursing home he goes to, because a lot of them there don't bother doing rehab, which Jeff REALLY needs if he's going to get out of there. Patty sent me this, "Pray that it's Marmet, because they are good to them there." She's done her research, and this is the best one that'll accept what insurance he has, now that his previous insurance ran out.

More prayers are en route, LW. He's in West Virginia, isn't he? I'm in central KY, but if there's anything I can do, let me know. It's not THAT far away!

Lone_Wolfe
08-08-2012, 20:22
More prayers are en route, LW. He's in West Virginia, isn't he? I'm in central KY, but if there's anything I can do, let me know. It's not THAT far away!

Yes, he's in Charleston. That's the SW part of the state, so it shouldn't be too long of a drive. Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it.

Here's the latest from his sis, he's leaving the hospital in the next couple days for a nursing home, and he got fed today! :woohoo:

"Jeff is doing good today. They started his tube feedings today and gave him his heart medicine and a bottle of protein also.
He will be going to Riverside Nursing and Rehabilitation, in St. Albans, either tomorrow or the next day. They will do rehab with him six times a week and up to twice a day. I am really thrilled that they are willing to work that hard with him. The only down side is that there will be four men in one room. I hope none of them are screamers, like Dad. Ha! We have had a lady that has screamed all night for 4 nights. I feel so sorry for her, I know there is nothing she can do about it. When Mom was in here she would call 911 and tell them she was being held hostage! The Police showed up twice. Ha! That's my Mom!
Please keep us in your prayers. We need them all."

Unfortunately the nursing home isn't the one they wanted, and a former employee posted this warning,

"i hope all goes well but you still need to try to get him in marmet or oakridge i have heard horror stories and when i worked there it was bad and thats why i left"

That has me concerned, since it's too far from his sister to visit every day and keep an eye on him. I'll really be glad if they do the twice a day rehab they're talking about. If they abuse Jeff I might come here to round up a GT posse. How many volunteers would I get?

stolenphot0
08-08-2012, 20:24
Yes, he's in Charleston. That's the SW part of the state, so it shouldn't be too long of a drive. Thank you for the offer, I'll let you know if I need to take you up on it.

Here's the latest from his sis, he's leaving the hospital in the next couple days for a nursing home, and he got fed today! :woohoo:

"Jeff is doing good today. They started his tube feedings today and gave him his heart medicine and a bottle of protein also.
He will be going to Riverside Nursing and Rehabilitation, in St. Albans, either tomorrow or the next day. They will do rehab with him six times a week and up to twice a day. I am really thrilled that they are willing to work that hard with him. The only down side is that there will be four men in one room. I hope none of them are screamers, like Dad. Ha! We have had a lady that has screamed all night for 4 nights. I feel so sorry for her, I know there is nothing she can do about it. When Mom was in here she would call 911 and tell them she was being held hostage! The Police showed up twice. Ha! That's my Mom!
Please keep us in your prayers. We need them all."

Unfortunately the nursing home isn't the one they wanted, and a former employee posted this warning,

"i hope all goes well but you still need to try to get him in marmet or oakridge i have heard horror stories and when i worked there it was bad and thats why i left"

That has me concerned, since it's too far from his sister to visit every day and keep an eye on him. I'll really be glad if they do the twice a day rehab they're talking about. If they abuse Jeff I might come here to round up a GT posse. How many volunteers would I get?

Regulators...mount up.

CJStudent
08-09-2012, 00:13
Regulators...mount up.

Present and accounted for.

MasterShake
08-09-2012, 00:21
Regulators...mount up.

Here!

cmb19
08-09-2012, 07:40
Don't stress too much about the nursing home. I'm not saying it's not possible it's a nasty place, but I know first hand that former employees of nursing homes bad mouth the place to no end.

The home I was in was wonderful, but I still hear how terrible, dirty, and bad it is. All of the "info" comes from employees who were either fired or who quit. By quit, I mean they couldn't be bothered to show up or they faked injuries. I mean really faked, I've seen several with "back injuries" dancing at bars and carrying things while shopping. I know a few of these employees who went to other homes to work and did the exact same things there.

Nursing homes are hot...get him a fan...all those old people need it to be 90 and above. :supergrin:

Magnus2131
08-09-2012, 16:13
<<< wants to join the posse.

nursetim
08-09-2012, 19:07
The key to nursing homes is to hold them accountable. Someone needs to be there everyday to make sure what is ordered is being done. Raise holy heck in as sweet a manner as possible. Do not threaten to call supervisors or state boards unless it is really warranted. I have no doubt Jeff can overcome this, it will just suck sometimes. Make sure his BP is well controlled. God bless Jeff, his family, his friends, and the staff that work with him. Does he have any pets? Ask if they can visit or have a therapy pet program, it helps in so many ways.

Lone_Wolfe
08-09-2012, 20:41
Shake, CJ, Magnus, so glad to have you in Jeff's corner. :thumbsup:

The key to nursing homes is to hold them accountable. Someone needs to be there everyday to make sure what is ordered is being done. Raise holy heck in as sweet a manner as possible. Do not threaten to call supervisors or state boards unless it is really warranted. I have no doubt Jeff can overcome this, it will just suck sometimes. Make sure his BP is well controlled. God bless Jeff, his family, his friends, and the staff that work with him. Does he have any pets? Ask if they can visit or have a therapy pet program, it helps in so many ways.

CMB and Tim, thank you for his great info, I'm passing it all on to Jeff's sister. She'll do everything she can to keep them working with Jeff, I have no doubt. Yes, Jeff has a cat at home, his name it Mitch. Here's a pic I took of him when I was there.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Kitties/MitchHelping.jpg

Here's her latest update,

"Jeff is now in Riverside. The first indicator of a really bad nursing home is it's smell I am very glad to say that it does NOT sell like old pee which is a sure sign of bad treatment. It is old, but clean. They are packed and understaffed, but that is a description of all of them. I introduced myself and Jeff to his 2 room mates, and they seemed like nice old men. I am going down by 10 tomorrow to talk to the therapist to make sure they really intend to do rehab with him. I am going to try to put my nose in their business all day. Ha! They will be glad to see me go. Poor Jeff didn't want me to go. I told him to not be afraid and be strong and work hard, so he can get out of there. His tube feeder was working good. He looked much more bright eyed today. Please pray for him to have mental and physical strength to get back on his feet and eating again. Also, please pray for him not to give up. To do so would be to accept his worst nightmare."

sawgrass
08-09-2012, 21:10
LW when you have a chance, can you get us a current address? Maybe we can help keep his spirits up.

Lone_Wolfe
08-09-2012, 21:17
LW when you have a chance, can you get us a current address? Maybe we can help keep his spirits up.

I'll be glad to, as soon as I have it.

Nursetim, Jeff's sis thanks you very much for that info. :wavey:

RottnJP
08-09-2012, 21:41
I'll add, she needs to make sure to meet the aides, and show her interest. Read the charts/orders, ask questions, and follow-up on things.

She doesn't need to be rude or demanding, but polite, professional, and firm.

When aides/nurses know someone cares and is paying attention, they do pay a little more attention to what they do for that person.

deputy tom
08-10-2012, 14:15
More prayers sent for all concerned.tom.

Dinky
08-10-2012, 18:27
Regulators...mount up.

Present and accounted for.

Here!

<<< wants to join the posse.

Me too.

Lone_Wolfe
08-10-2012, 20:02
I'll add, she needs to make sure to meet the aides, and show her interest. Read the charts/orders, ask questions, and follow-up on things.

She doesn't need to be rude or demanding, but polite, professional, and firm.

When aides/nurses know someone cares and is paying attention, they do pay a little more attention to what they do for that person.

She did just that today, posting this morning,

"Wish me luck on my fact finding mission. I'm going to stop for a couple dozen Krispy Kream from their fresh bakery, to sweeten the pot. Ha!"

And then,

"I have no doubt that they are good people but they are seriously understaffed. One man, in Jeff's room had asked to go to the bathroom for over an hour. I finally went out in the hall and got someone for him. Jeff slept the whole day. He woke up a few minutes at a time to communicate with the therapists."

"I talked to all the therapist today and asked them to just set up a schedule and go get him instead of asking him. They said they would. They were really amazed at how much strength he had, General had left them with the impression that he was hopeless. I fought that notion all day, and I do think I made some headway."

I'd really like a word or 2 with the folks at the hospital for saying that, they really didn't want to do much for him when he was there, either. :steamed:

I've asked for his address, I'll post it when I can. I'm sure he'd love to get some cards to brighten the walls there.

Magnus2131
08-10-2012, 20:41
I'm a couple steps away from a nursing home. Man that would be rough.

MasterShake
08-10-2012, 20:50
I'd really like a word or 2 with the folks at the hospital for saying that, they really didn't want to do much for him when he was there, either.
Regulators?

Lone_Wolfe
08-10-2012, 20:55
I'm a couple steps away from a nursing home. Man that would be rough.

I sure hope you can avoid that.

Here's Jeff's address;

Jeff Abshire
Golden Living Center
Riverside 6500 McCorkle Ave
Saint Albans, WV 25177
Room 131 bed 2.

Can we get some cards headed his way? :wavey:

CJStudent
08-11-2012, 00:51
Regulators?

Ready to ride!

CJStudent
08-11-2012, 00:52
I sure hope you can avoid that.

Here's Jeff's address;

Jeff Abshire
Golden Living Center
Riverside 6500 McCorkle Ave
Saint Albans, WV 25177
Room 131 bed 2.

Can we get some cards headed his way? :wavey:

It may be Monday before I can get one out, but it's on its way ASAP.

sawgrass
08-11-2012, 09:45
It might be in Jeff's best interest for his family to make friends with other residents family members. During the time that my Granny was in a nursing home she had DAILY visits, usually twice and at least two days a week three times a day by family members.

It didn't take long for other families to figure out the 'regulars'. They eventually kind of tag teamed the visits.
They would check on people, and they made sure that the visits weren't at the same time each day.

I firmly believe that the residents who are being checked on by "anyone" receive better care than the poor folks who are simply left at these places.

Jeff and his family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Nutt51
08-11-2012, 15:06
I am so sorry to hear this news. 23Skidoo, a.k.a. Jeff, helped me become a lifetime NRA member. I have not met him personally, but when we corresponded, I got the distinct feeling that he is a kind and compassionate man.
I wish that I lived closer, I would sure pay him a visit. I will
however get a card on the way to him and his family, and will
say a prayer for them. God Bless them all.

dango
08-12-2012, 11:08
I'm just checking in to see how things are going ? I pray and will hope for the best and LW , don't forget about you , you take care of yourself to.

Lone_Wolfe
08-13-2012, 01:09
It may be Monday before I can get one out, but it's on its way ASAP.

Thank you! :wavey:

It might be in Jeff's best interest for his family to make friends with other residents family members. During the time that my Granny was in a nursing home she had DAILY visits, usually twice and at least two days a week three times a day by family members.

It didn't take long for other families to figure out the 'regulars'. They eventually kind of tag teamed the visits.
They would check on people, and they made sure that the visits weren't at the same time each day.

I firmly believe that the residents who are being checked on by "anyone" receive better care than the poor folks who are simply left at these places.

Jeff and his family remain in my thoughts and prayers.

If somehow Jeff gets to stay there longer I'll definitely pass this on. As it stands now, he won't be there long enough to do much good. That has a bunch of us really concerned.

I am so sorry to hear this news. 23Skidoo, a.k.a. Jeff, helped me become a lifetime NRA member. I have not met him personally, but when we corresponded, I got the distinct feeling that he is a kind and compassionate man.
I wish that I lived closer, I would sure pay him a visit. I will
however get a card on the way to him and his family, and will
say a prayer for them. God Bless them all.

You got the right impression of him. You'll never meet a kinder, more sincere person. I wish you and other GT'ers were closer to him, he'd love the visit. That cards and prayers are appreciated.

I'm just checking in to see how things are going ? I pray and will hope for the best and LW , don't forget about you , you take care of yourself to.

Thank you for that. As for me, I've updated another thread, I'm back taking my chemo.

The biggest obstacle for Jeff right now is that he has less than 3 weeks in the nursing home to learn to swallow, talk, walk. The therapists there are overworked, and aren't that concerned like we and his family are. Not a good situation, but we're still hopeful.

Lone_Wolfe
08-13-2012, 12:40
Finally a bit of good news on Jeff's therapy. This from Jeff's sister,

"Good News! God has answered my prayer! The speech therapist called this morning to get information on him. She was excited that he had so much to work with! She says they will get to work on him this morning and get him back to talking and swallowing again. I told her I had asked for prayer for the therapists to be able to help Jeff and she was so thankful. Thank you God for letting them see him as a person instead of just a lifeless body!"

CJStudent
08-13-2012, 12:56

"Good News! God has answered my prayer! The speech therapist called this morning to get information on him. She was excited that he had so much to work with! She says they will get to work on him this morning and get him back to talking and swallowing again. I told her I had asked for prayer for the therapists to be able to help Jeff and she was so thankful. Thank you God for letting them see him as a person instead of just a lifeless body!"

:woohoo: Glad to hear it!

Lady Glock
08-13-2012, 18:27

Where 2 or more stand together, there HE will also be!

maverick9614
08-13-2012, 19:39
May God, family, and friends provide you comfort during these painful times.

Lone_Wolfe
08-13-2012, 20:44
May God, family, and friends provide you comfort during these painful times.

Yes, it is. But Jeff decided not to give up, so we aren't either!

:woohoo: Glad to hear it!

So am I! Here's the latest update from his sister,

"Jeff's visitors said that he was really pooped today, and for a very good reason. He had therapy! I know he had speach therapy and I think he must have had physical therapy too, because he had a skin tear on his leg. My guess is he was trying too hard and may have fallen. He may have been setting up some today too, because of where the chair was sitting. They have also taken his catheter out. I sure hope he has the strength to do therapy every day. Please keep him in your prayers that he has the strength and will to get better."

And this from a friend of his that visited him today,

"We were there around 2 and he had been in his chair. He was in good spirits, definately knew me and communicated with me, not verbally, but by pointing and looking at things we were talking about. Trust me, Jeff is still in there, just a little hard to communicate right now. I speak firsthand that visits are vital. I did meet one of his therapists, wonderful guy. The place is clean."

Sounds like Jeff's getting help, so let's hope it's enough!

CJStudent
08-13-2012, 21:35
Yes, it is. But Jeff decided not to give up, so we aren't either!

So am I! Here's the latest update from his sister,

"Jeff's visitors said that he was really pooped today, and for a very good reason. He had therapy! I know he had speach therapy and I think he must have had physical therapy too, because he had a skin tear on his leg. My guess is he was trying too hard and may have fallen. He may have been setting up some today too, because of where the chair was sitting. They have also taken his catheter out. I sure hope he has the strength to do therapy every day. Please keep him in your prayers that he has the strength and will to get better."

And this from a friend of his that visited him today,

"We were there around 2 and he had been in his chair. He was in good spirits, definately knew me and communicated with me, not verbally, but by pointing and looking at things we were talking about. Trust me, Jeff is still in there, just a little hard to communicate right now. I speak firsthand that visits are vital. I did meet one of his therapists, wonderful guy. The place is clean."

Sounds like Jeff's getting help, so let's hope it's enough!

Glad to hear it!

jakebrake
08-14-2012, 18:50
finally a bit of good news on jeff's therapy. This from jeff's sister,

"good news! God has answered my prayer! The speech therapist called this morning to get information on him. She was excited that he had so much to work with! She says they will get to work on him this morning and get him back to talking and swallowing again. I told her i had asked for prayer for the therapists to be able to help jeff and she was so thankful. Thank you god for letting them see him as a person instead of just a lifeless body!"

booyah!

Restless28
08-14-2012, 21:12
Thanks for the update LW. Jeff's progress makes me smile. I will send a card tomorrow. If there is anything that I could write besides the usual get well, let me know. I'm just a good ol' Dixie boy, though.

Lone_Wolfe
08-15-2012, 00:19
Glad to hear it!

Same here! :phew:

Thanks for the update LW. Jeff's progress makes me smile. I will send a card tomorrow. If there is anything that I could write besides the usual get well, let me know. I'm just a good ol' Dixie boy, though.

He'll love that. Tell him anything, tell him a little about yourself. He'd love to hear about life in Dixie and good ol' Dixie boys. :wavey:

booyah!

Yeah, that's what I said. Another update from his sister. Seems her Krispy Kremes and in your face attitude has paid off,

"Someone from the nursing home called today and asked about all of Jeff's likes and dislikes. They want to try to motivate him with some of his favorite things. The lady , that called, even said she would copy him a whole cd of Pink Floyd! They will really get him stepping high! Ha! It is looking better and better. I don't know if anyone visited today or not. Hopefully they worked his butt off again. I go for a meeting with the managment on Friday morning at 11. ................... Wish us luck that we can get more days of therapy. Please keep all three of us in your prayers."

I also suggested that she take him some more upbeat music to get him motivated. I'm so relieved that they're taking an interest in him at the nursing home.

BobInTX
08-15-2012, 08:15
:thumbsup:

m2hmghb
08-15-2012, 11:46
You don't know how happy this makes me to hear he's making strides. Prayers for continued healing Skidoo and Lone.

Magnus2131
08-15-2012, 16:31
Thanks for the update, that's some hopeful news.

Lone_Wolfe
08-16-2012, 00:31
Thanks for the update, that's some hopeful news.

Yes, it is. Today didn't seem so good according to his sis, but I'm hoping the tiredness and depression is just because the terrorists wore him out. Here's her update for today,

"A friend visited this evening and said Jeff seemed tired. He wasn't very enthusiastic about anything. They called from the Home today and said they were going to have to give hime some Miralax, and Sandy and Lone, you know how he will love that! Maybe that was why he was in a sour mood. They also said they would be treating the cut on his leg and changing the dressing every day. The girl wasn't sure how he got it but she thought it had something to do with transferring him in physical therapy, whatever that means. Please pray for him to keep his spirits up and that his leg not get infected. The injury is on the lower leg where his legs are fragile anyhow."

A little backstory on the Miralax, Jeff tried it once at his sisters suggestion a few years back. Trouble was, it didn't work slowly and gently, like it's supposed to. Jeff said he spent the night on the throne, and wanted to brain his poor sis after that. When I was visiting Jeff in the hospital, he could answer yes/no questions with a thumb up or down, and that was about it.

So one day his sis asked if he wanted to be given some Miralax, and he didn't use his thumb. He gave the one finger salute instead, then shook a fist at her. Best laugh I had the whole trip. :rofl: :rofl:

cmb19
08-16-2012, 07:55
I have some ideas why he was depressed...although sounds like Miralax could have had something to do with it. :supergrin:

Of course, LW, you know therapy sucks better than I do, but I can promise not being able to speak when he knows exactly what he wants to say is the biggest problem. I would get so frustrated and upset that I wanted to talk, but couldn't. Everyone is asking him questions that he wants to elaborate on more than just yes or no I'm sure...it sucks to not be able to talk.

My next biggest frustration was smelling food (after my trache was out obviously) or just thinking about food and not being able to eat. I love food, as some of you may know, so that really sucked. I can tell you exactly what I had as my first foods...during the barium swallow test I had applesauce, vanilla pudding, and animal crackers. I was THRILLED to be allowed to eat even though it was a test. My first actual meal was baked chicken, scalloped potatoes, and chocolate cake. The nice snack cart lady even gave me 2 bags of mini oreos instead of the 1 all patients were supposed to get.

I'll see if I can find a card in my little town that I can send to him..I keep meaning to look and forget in my hurry through the store.

BobInTX
08-16-2012, 09:30
Well, poop.

tous
08-16-2012, 17:51
Still keeping the good thoughts.

Jeff, get better.
Now!
Or, I'm tellin' Silent_Runner. :scared:

Best wishes, amigo.

Magnus2131
08-16-2012, 19:33
Well, poop.
:rofl: I wish Miralax would work a little faster for me. :whistling:

Lone_Wolfe
08-17-2012, 18:00
Well, poop.

What you did there..... I see it. :whistling: :supergrin:

I have some ideas why he was depressed...although sounds like Miralax could have had something to do with it. : supergrin:

Of course, LW, you know therapy sucks better than I do, but I can promise not being able to speak when he knows exactly what he wants to say is the biggest problem. I would get so frustrated and upset that I wanted to talk, but couldn't. Everyone is asking him questions that he wants to elaborate on more than just yes or no I'm sure...it sucks to not be able to talk.

My next biggest frustration was smelling food (after my trache was out obviously) or just thinking about food and not being able to eat. I love food, as some of you may know, so that really sucked. I can tell you exactly what I had as my first foods...during the barium swallow test I had applesauce, vanilla pudding, and animal crackers. I was THRILLED to be allowed to eat even though it was a test. My first actual meal was baked chicken, scalloped potatoes, and chocolate cake. The nice snack cart lady even gave me 2 bags of mini oreos instead of the 1 all patients were supposed to get.

I'll see if I can find a card in my little town that I can send to him..I keep meaning to look and forget in my hurry through the store.

I'm sure you're right about the not being able to talk, especially. His sister told me he's tried since I left, and still can't make himself understood. I know how frustrating that was, just for the amount of time I couldn't talk for the tubes down my throat and nose.

As for the eating, no doubt there, either. Jeff loved to cook and to eat, and was good at both.

He'll really appreciate the cards.

Still keeping the good thoughts.

Jeff, get better.
Now!
Or, I'm tellin' Silent_Runner. :s cared:

Best wishes, amigo.

You trying to get the poor guy in trouble? :scared:

:rofl:

:rofl: I wish Miralax would work a little faster for me. : whistling:

It did finally work for me, thankfully. Until next dose, that is. :yuck:

Sam Spade
08-17-2012, 19:30
A related question for you, LW, and if I'm out of line just slap me:

How are *you* sleeping since you got involved in all this?

RussP
08-17-2012, 19:51
All y'all are in our prayers...

Lone_Wolfe
08-17-2012, 21:06
All y'all are in our prayers...

Thanks Russ.

Just got some bad news, Jeff had to be taken back to the ER. Seems he's gotten dehydrated in spite of having a feeding tube, plus the cut on his leg wasn't treated and is infected. He's also showing signs of pheumonia. His sister visited him today, and said he was so lethargic he didn't wake up at all, and none of the nursing home staff even checked on him. Not what I wanted to hear about them.

CJStudent
08-17-2012, 21:12
Thanks Russ.

Just got some bad news, Jeff had to be taken back to the ER. Seems he's gotten dehydrated in spite of having a feeding tube, plus the cut on his leg wasn't treated and is infected. He's also showing signs of pheumonia. His sister visited him today, and said he was so lethargic he didn't wake up at all, and none of the nursing home staff even checked on him. Not what I wanted to hear about them.

:steamed: I'm on vacation next week; do we need to get the posse rounded up?

MasterShake
08-17-2012, 21:38
When we going? :steamed:

Lone_Wolfe
08-17-2012, 22:22

Let's concentrate on sending out energy to Jeff to help him through this, for right now. We'll deal with the folks at the nursing home later.

NeverMore1701
08-17-2012, 22:24
I'm not the praying type, but I fervently wish the best for him from god, karma, the universe, whoever... few are more deserving.

MasterShake
08-17-2012, 22:25
I'm not the praying type, but I fervently wish the best for him from god, karma, the universe, whoever... few are more deserving.
Same here.

itisbruno
08-17-2012, 22:32
http://www.papky.com/images/2012/02/Praying_Dog_Monk.jpg

NeverMore1701
08-17-2012, 22:33
I'll admit, that made me smile a little :)

Magnus2131
08-17-2012, 22:40
Is his sister able to check on him all the time?

Lone_Wolfe
08-17-2012, 22:48
Is his sister able to check on him all the time?

No, she lives a couple hours away and can't stay with him all the time. Other family members have been checking up on him this past week as they can.

NeverMore1701
08-17-2012, 22:51
The more the better, both for his spirits and to keep the staff accountable.

Lone_Wolfe
08-17-2012, 22:54
The more the better, both for his spirits and to keep the staff accountable.

That's been the plan, and they've been trying. Now they're sitting with Jeff at the hospital.

NeverMore1701
08-17-2012, 23:00
Here's hoping for another upswing!

Butkus
08-18-2012, 00:10
Lord, bless him

sawgrass
08-18-2012, 06:02
Let's concentrate on sending out energy to Jeff to help him through this, for right now. We'll deal with the folks at the nursing home later.

Lone_Wolfe thoughts and prayers continue for all of you.

CJStudent
08-18-2012, 15:35

More prayers inbound, Wolfe!

Lone_Wolfe
08-19-2012, 07:05
More prayers inbound, Wolfe!

Thank you. I just got this update drom his sister,

"Please pray for Jeff. He is taking a turn for the worse and is feeling really bad. He has a fever, a bladder infection, and even though he does not have pneumonia, he is having trouble breathing because of a very thick white substance. He is on a very strong antibiotic and is very dehydrated. I need your prayers too because I am so worried about my brother. I love him so much."

I'm really worried, and wish I could go back up there.

CJStudent
08-19-2012, 09:58
:hugs:

Zonny
08-19-2012, 10:27
LW, sorry to read of this turn in Jeff's condition. :hugs:

MasterShake
08-19-2012, 10:51
Hoping for the best for Jeff, really hope they guy pulls through!

skeeter7
08-19-2012, 14:58
More prayers being sent out. I hope he recovers soon from his latest setback. Stay strong!

BobInTX
08-19-2012, 15:49
Praying for Jeff for a quick recovery

stolenphot0
08-19-2012, 16:02
sorry to hear about the latest update. More positive thoughts and energy headed his way.

NeverMore1701
08-19-2012, 16:13
Still keeping him in my thoughts, never give up hope!

nursetim
08-19-2012, 16:28
Very thick white substance? Like what is going through his feeding tube? Jeff is still in my thoughts and prayers.

Silent_Runner
08-19-2012, 20:09
Thank you. I just got this update drom his sister,

"Please pray for Jeff. He is taking a turn for the worse and is feeling really bad. He has a fever, a bladder infection, and even though he does not have pneumonia, he is having trouble breathing because of a very thick white substance. He is on a very strong antibiotic and is very dehydrated. I need your prayers too because I am so worried about my brother. I love him so much."

I'm really worried, and wish I could go back up there.
Wolfe I am praying in earnest that he recover. I hope they are doing everything for him that they can. He deserves better than to suffer in this way.

Very thick white substance? Like what is going through his feeding tube? Jeff is still in my thoughts and prayers.
This is the same thing I am thinking. I hope his digestive system has not shut down.

cmb19
08-19-2012, 20:57
This is the same thing I am thinking. I hope his digestive system has not shut down.

If this is what is happening, I had my G tube changed to a GJ tube because my stomach stopped digesting. The tube stays in, but a smaller one is threaded inside and into the intestines. I couldn't lay down below 45 degrees...are the nurses/nursing home keeping him elevated enough? If I was laid down, I would end up with the "food" coming up into my throat and choking.

Lone_Wolfe
08-20-2012, 15:08
Wolfe I am praying in earnest that he recover. I hope they are doing everything for him that they can. He deserves better than to suffer in this way.

Thank you, he needs it. I hope they're doing what they can, but have my doubts.

If this is what is happening, I had my G tube changed to a GJ tube because my stomach stopped digesting. The tube stays in, but a smaller one is threaded inside and into the intestines. I couldn't lay down below 45 degrees...are the nurses/nursing home keeping him elevated enough? If I was laid down, I would end up with the "food" coming up into my throat and choking.

I'll make sure his sister knows this. I do know that the nursing home had him laying flat.

I did get an update from Sis,

"He is still not well, but his breathing is better, he is more awake and alert, and is responding to people. She thanks all of you for your prayers."

That's a bit of improvement, he needs a lot more. Let's keep up the prayers, please.

sawgrass
08-20-2012, 15:27
Thanks for the update LW.

cmb19
08-20-2012, 19:55
I'll make sure his sister knows this. I do know that the nursing home had him laying flat.

Yes, please make sure she knows this. I was in UPMC Presby in Pittsburgh (I mention this because it's an amazing hospital and I trust everything they told me) and I clearly remember the nurses saying I had to be propped up to avoid fluid getting into my lungs. Maybe it was a special thing for me, which I doubt, but it's not going to hurt him to be elevated.

Lone_Wolfe
08-20-2012, 22:51
Yes, please make sure she knows this. I was in UPMC Presby in Pittsburgh (I mention this because it's an amazing hospital and I trust everything they told me) and I clearly remember the nurses saying I had to be propped up to avoid fluid getting into my lungs. Maybe it was a special thing for me, which I doubt, but it's not going to hurt him to be elevated.

She most definitely will. This and any other possibly helpful info is being passed back to her, and she really appreciates it. She's overwhelmed with trying to get Jeff the help he needs, and is grateful for every prayer, and every bit of knowledge offered.

Thanks for the update LW.

Your welcome, thank you for caring. Here's what his sister posted a bit ago. I talked to her and she was almost in tears telling me about how bad Jeff is hurting today. I was too, just hearing it. :crying:

"Jeff is not doing well at all. I am trying to get him into a Nursing Home in Beckley, where he has a chance of getting therapy, for real! He still has a bladder infection and is very weak now. I am praying that God will give us a much better place this time, that can actually help him. The plan is to get him to walking and swallowing again so he can live with us, until he is ready to live on his own again. I don't know if that is going to happen or not. I can't take care of him until he can walk and eat and I'm not sure if he has the strength or the will to get there or not. He is miserable and he is living his worst nightmare. My heart is just broken for him and for myself. I love him so much. Please pray for him to get stronger and to get the will to try again."

NeverMore1701
08-20-2012, 22:52
****, still hoping for the best.

CJStudent
08-20-2012, 23:17
More prayers, LW.

JuneyBooney
08-20-2012, 23:50
Prayers sent. Hope he pulls through. He has a tough road.

BobInTX
08-21-2012, 07:59
I'm praying he gets over this immediate crisis quickly so he can continue his rehab at a place that gives a darn.

Lone_Wolfe
08-22-2012, 14:37
****, still hoping for the best.
More prayers, LW.
Prayers sent. Hope he pulls through. He has a tough road.
I'm praying he gets over this immediate crisis quickly so he can continue his rehab at a place that gives a darn.

Thank you all. Jeff is proving once again that he's tough, a lot tougher than I am. I just got off the phone with his sis, the news is good! He's being moved tonight into a smaller nursing home near Beckley. An hour closer to her, and small enough to give some actual attention and therapy. I'm really relieved that he's well enough to leave the hospital.

The old nursing home, Riverside, is still harassing for money. The can go pound sand! Their negligence could have killed Jeff if she weren't such a watchdog looking out for him. :steamed:

The downside to all this is that she had to turn over the only life insurance policy Jeff had to Medicaid. She was the beneficiary, and the policy was enough to bury him when the time comes, plus get his estate taken care of. Now she'll have to do that out of her own pocket unless she figures out a way to get that back. Anyone here know much about that sort of thing?

Lady Glock
08-22-2012, 14:43
I didn't know medicaid could take a life insurance policy...I knew they don't allow you to own a home or have savings...but I didn't think LI was a hinderance. Find out if he is able to get a burial policy...though he would have to recover before they could issue the policy...I believe there is a waiver on the policy that he has to live for (either 1 or 2 years) after issuance or forfeit the policy.

I am praying he has a good 30 plus years available...I'm not trying to be insensitive

BobInTX
08-22-2012, 15:09
Actually, from what I've learned dealing with my FIL nursing home situation, you CAN own a home and a car, but you can't have assets over a certain amount, thus they took the life insurance. And they can very well take your house when you pass away.

Anybody who thinks that medicare and medicaid will take care of them if they have to go in a nursing home is extremely mistaken. It is very hard on your family, too. Long term care insurance is looking better all the time.

Of course, who thinks they're going to have to go in a nursing home that young?

This is good news indeed. I hope he can continue to improve.

tous
08-22-2012, 17:12
Hang in there, Jeff.
Prayers and good thoughts continue.

NeverMore1701
08-22-2012, 17:39
Here's hoping he continues to improve, the new place will take good care of him, and the financial issues get worked out in a favorable manner.

Lone_Wolfe
08-23-2012, 00:04
Hang in there, Jeff.
Prayers and good thoughts continue.

Thanks for the good thoughts and the insight, it's all being passed on. Jeff's sister told me once again how much she appreciates every one of you. She posted this on her FB page today,

"They found a small nursing home in Beckley called Sunbridge Pine Lodge. I have talked to two families who were very happy with it. I just hope it has a good therapy department. He was supposed to go today, but there was a paperwork snafu and he won't go until tomorrow. By the positive feelings I was having this morning, I sure hope this place is the answers to our prayers.
He had a lot of pain today with his left arm and leg. I finally left after he settled down enough to doze off.
I have a selfish prayer request for me. Please pray that he forgives me for giving up his apartment. He loves this place so much, but medicaid said we had to give it up since he would be in a nursing home, because they want their money. He just glares at me and won't hold my hand anymore. I am trying so hard to do the right thing, but he thinks I am betraying him.
Please keep us both in your prayers."

I had her put me on the phone with Jeff to try to make him understand she had no choice but to give up his town house, but he growled at me, too. He loves that place, I know it's hard for him to lose it. Here's a pic I took of the back yard view from in the living room one of the times I was there.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Jeff/Mitch-River.jpg

sawgrass
08-23-2012, 08:18
He is suffering and likely holding on to anything that resembles normal. I hope this new place is able to help him. His anger will dissipate when he feels better.

Where is Mitch? Does he have other pets?

BobInTX
08-23-2012, 08:23
Thanks for the good thoughts and the insight, it's all being passed on. Jeff's sister told me once again how much she appreciates every one of you. She posted this on her FB page today,

"They found a small nursing home in Beckley called Sunbridge Pine Lodge. I have talked to two families who were very happy with it. I just hope it has a good therapy department. He was supposed to go today, but there was a paperwork snafu and he won't go until tomorrow. By the positive feelings I was having this morning, I sure hope this place is the answers to our prayers.
He had a lot of pain today with his left arm and leg. I finally left after he settled down enough to doze off.
I have a selfish prayer request for me. Please pray that he forgives me for giving up his apartment. He loves this place so much, but medicaid said we had to give it up since he would be in a nursing home, because they want their money. He just glares at me and won't hold my hand anymore. I am trying so hard to do the right thing, but he thinks I am betraying him.
Please keep us both in your prayers."

I had her put me on the phone with Jeff to try to make him understand she had no choice but to give up his town house, but he growled at me, too. He loves that place, I know it's hard for him to lose it. Here's a pic I took of the back yard view from in the living room one of the times I was there.

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff10/Lone_Wolfe_/Jeff/Mitch-River.jpg
She needs to consult an attorney. It's my understanding tthat medicaid cannot make you give up your home since you eventually will return to it.

Lone_Wolfe
08-23-2012, 21:29
The story is true. You can look over my posts here and see that I'm not the type to post just for show or to get a response from people.

My wife is a stay at home mom, but worked as and still has a therapist license. Maybe the woman just felt comfortable talking to her. :dunno:

But the story is true.

She needs to consult an attorney. It's my understanding tthat medicaid cannot make you give up your home since you eventually will return to it.

The way I understand it is that they couldn't take one he owns, but this is a rental. His sis is still looking at her options, we talked about that a bit tonight. Still a lot we don't understand here. All the insight here is appreciated/

He is suffering and likely holding on to anything that resembles normal. I hope this new place is able to help him. His anger will dissipate when he feels better.

Where is Mitch? Does he have other pets?

Mitch is going to live with his sister and her other pets. He won't be an only child anymore, but he'll still have a good home.

He's not so angry at sis today, and she's relieved. Good thing, because I'd have had her put the phone back to his ear tomorrow so I could read him out. Gently, of course. :supergrin:

She's really happy this evening, here's the update she posted,

"Jeff is finally in a really good Nursing Home! It is small, beautiful, and has a LOT of employees. The patients are clean and in the hall, talking to passers-by. His room mate is a very nice man from Pineville. I have heard very good things about them, including that they have a very good therapy department! I am just walking on air today!

It is on Stanaford Road directly across from Woodrow Wilson High School. Turn down a little road across from the High School, on the left. There is some kind of small medical building where you turn. The road leads to the Nursing Home in just a few hundard yards.

He is in room 139, I think. Ha! He is the first bed.

They keep it warm there so he may be giving a free show to everybody, when that sheet comes off!

He is still on a tube feeder. It's only supposed to be turned uo to 50 ml/hr and Riverside had his turned up to 75. The Emergency Room Dr. thinks that the food wasn't being absorbed and it was backing up in his lungs.

Anyhow, he is doing much better now, thank's to all of your prayers!"

So, finally he's somewhere we think he'll get decent care. I was starting to wonder if the poor guy was in the VA system.

NeverMore1701
08-23-2012, 21:42
Sounds like some good progress, here's hoping for more!

BobInTX
08-24-2012, 10:41
That's good to hear. I'm sure he was just hurt yesterday, not by his sister, but by circumstance. You work all your life for something and then have it all taken away because you can't take care of yourself. That has to be rough. I can't even put on my own socks right now because of my back and it makes me feel bad, but Skidoo can't talk or feed himself. That takes a toll on a guy.

He needs to use that to motivate himself to get better. I think he is the kind of guy who will. If not, we are going to remind him of all the times he encouraged you not to give up.

Hey, Skidoo! :whip:

Mrs.Cicero
08-24-2012, 11:48
I'm glad he knows we are all still praying for him.

Mrs.Cicero

Lone_Wolfe
08-24-2012, 14:58
I'm glad he knows we are all still praying for him.

Mrs.Cicero

Yes, I am too. Unfortunately he really needs them once again. As his sister posted a couple hours ago,

"Set-Back for Jeff. His lungs are soupy again today and he has bit the inside of his cheek until it bled. His oxygen is low also. They are sending him to Beckley Appalachian Regional Emergency Room. I will take my little computer, in hopes that I can get service and update you as the day goes on. Again, please pray for Jeff, he has been through so much."

Damn, just when I thought we didn't have to worry about him quite so much. :crying:

sawgrass
08-24-2012, 16:32
Well dang. Extra prayers are in order.

LW thank you for updating this thread. I suspect that on top of everything else it isn't the easiest thing to do.

Lady Glock
08-24-2012, 19:39
Keeping up the prayers. I won't let up ever...he is such a precious friend.

kcb
08-24-2012, 19:58
Still keeping him in my thoughts and prayers!

Came here just to check on him today!

:angel: :crying:

m2hmghb
08-24-2012, 20:23
Still sending prayers and vibes for Jeff and family as well as for you Wolfe.

CJStudent
08-24-2012, 20:29
:hugs: for you both!

Lone_Wolfe
08-26-2012, 17:01
Still sending prayers and vibes for Jeff and family as well as for you Wolfe.
:hugs: for you both!
Keeping up the prayers. I won't let up ever...he is such a precious friend.

Yes, he is. Thank you all for the prayers. M2, your mom is in my prayers, too.

Well dang. Extra prayers are in order.

LW thank you for updating this thread. I suspect that on top of everything else it isn't the easiest thing to do.

No, it's not easy when the news is bad. Fortunately it gets much easier when I can post progress, like I can now. He's been moved back to the nursing home, and they think they've got a handle on the problem of food backing up into his lungs. They've also got him on anti-biotics again for infection, and hopefully that'll be enough. Here's what his sister posted,

"Visited with Jeff today and he looks much better. Yesterday his eyes were blood red, today they look normal. I finally got to talk to his nurses. We showed him how he communicates with his leg. He showed them he could follow commands, also. Ch General sent no records with him, so they thought he was just there for long term, and not therapy. I have been talking to the therapists and the speech therapist has already ordered electrical stimulation for his throat. I guess it was the right hand not communicating with the left. I asked for a schedule of his therapy and they said they would get it for me. When I left, I asked that he be put in a chair tomorrow and get to set out on the porch for a while to lift his spirits. She wrote it down in the book so I hope they do, that would be a treat for him. "

She's also posted several things she's seen or heard that she likes about the nursing home, so I'm really hoping it's all true and Jeff will get good care there. I'm concerned that he's not using his hand anymore to give thumbs up or down, and have asked about that. His sis is concerned too, but doesn't have any answers yet.

NeverMore1701
08-26-2012, 17:08
Sounds positive, hope the trend continues!

Lone_Wolfe
08-26-2012, 17:13
Sounds positive, hope the trend continues!

So do I!

I forgot to post his new address, for anyone who can send him cards, etc. He'd really enjoy that.

Sun Bridge Pine Lodge
Jeff Abshire
Rm 139 Bed 1
505 Stanaford Rd.
Beckley, WV 25801

Thanks all! :wavey:

tous
08-26-2012, 17:14
Remind Jeff that if life were easy, we'd let the Visual Basic programmers do it.

You fight and enjoy every day of life, amigo.
We're all behind you, but you're out front. :strong:
All the best. :wavey:

Sam Spade
08-26-2012, 17:39
Guess it might be time to learn Morse code.

Prayers on continuing improvement.

JLA
08-26-2012, 17:55
My thoughts and prayers continue for him!

sawgrass
08-26-2012, 19:20
Continued Prayers. Hopefully this is the place that can help him.

CJStudent
08-26-2012, 19:45
Yes, he is. Thank you all for the prayers. M2, your mom is in my prayers, too.

No, it's not easy when the news is bad. Fortunately it gets much easier when I can post progress, like I can now. He's been moved back to the nursing home, and they think they've got a handle on the problem of food backing up into his lungs. They've also got him on anti-biotics again for infection, and hopefully that'll be enough. Here's what his sister posted,

"Visited with Jeff today and he looks much better. Yesterday his eyes were blood red, today they look normal. I finally got to talk to his nurses. We showed him how he communicates with his leg. He showed them he could follow commands, also. Ch General sent no records with him, so they thought he was just there for long term, and not therapy. I have been talking to the therapists and the speech therapist has already ordered electrical stimulation for his throat. I guess it was the right hand not communicating with the left. I asked for a schedule of his therapy and they said they would get it for me. When I left, I asked that he be put in a chair tomorrow and get to set out on the porch for a while to lift his spirits. She wrote it down in the book so I hope they do, that would be a treat for him. "

She's also posted several things she's seen or heard that she likes about the nursing home, so I'm really hoping it's all true and Jeff will get good care there. I'm concerned that he's not using his hand anymore to give thumbs up or down, and have asked about that. His sis is concerned too, but doesn't have any answers yet.

So do I!

I forgot to post his new address, for anyone who can send him cards, etc. He'd really enjoy that.

Sun Bridge Pine Lodge
Jeff Abshire
Rm 139 Bed 1
505 Stanaford Rd.
Beckley, WV 25801

Thanks all! :wavey:

Glad to hear it! Hopefully they'll keep up with the communication this time!

Slackdog
08-28-2012, 17:47
More prayers for Jeff, his family, and friends.:angel:

Lone_Wolfe
08-30-2012, 14:00
It's not looking good at all for Jeff, and I can hardly see to type this. His sister posted this a bit ago,

"I have tried typing this twice and both times it hasn't gone Jeff's tests came back fine, no pneumonia and no systemic infwctions, however, he is as weak as a kitten and losing ground fast. He needs a miracle Both the therapist and I think he has had a second stroke. I think he had it, in the hospital, when his lower blood pressure number spiked and fell from 104 to the high 40's over and over again, in a period of 10 minutes. He has lost almost all the strength on his good side. He is getting womderful care at Sunbridge Pine Lodge, but he just keeps slipping further and further away. Please help me pray for the answer that JEFF needs, not us but Jeff. I want him to live and to get back to his old self, but, that is not looking like it is going to be possible. Pray for God's intervention and a miracle."

Mrs.Cicero
08-30-2012, 14:15
Prayers sent.

Mrs.Cicero

deputy tom
08-30-2012, 14:20
It's not looking good at all for Jeff, and I can hardly see to type this. His sister posted this a bit ago,

Prayers sent. tom.

TBO
08-30-2012, 14:39
More prayers sent.

Sent from the toe my jack boot using Tapatalk 2

BobInTX
08-30-2012, 14:41
:grouphug:

Lord, in this dark time we bring to you our friend, Jeff. We ask that you would be with him and comfort him and let him know that his family and friends love him and are thinking and praying for him. If Jeff’s time has come, we ask that you would let him go peacefully into the night, and use your angels to take him into your Everlasting Arms and the wonderful place you have prepared for us. If this is not his time, we ask that you would restore his strength today, and restore his mind and body to its former health so he can resume being the kind and gentle soul that has touched so many lives. In the name of your Son, Jesus, I pray, Amen.

stolenphot0
08-30-2012, 14:42
Still sending positive vibes his way and hoping for what's best for him.

CJStudent
08-30-2012, 15:46
More prayers sent.

deputy tom
08-30-2012, 16:13
:grouphug:

Lord, in this dark time we bring to you our friend, Jeff. We ask that you would be with him and comfort him and let him know that his family and friends love him and are thinking and praying for him. If Jeff’s time has come, we ask that you would let him go peacefully into the night, and use your angels to take him into your Everlasting Arms and the wonderful place you have prepared for us. If this is not his time, we ask that you would restore his strength today, and restore his mind and body to its former health so he can resume being the kind and gentle soul that has touched so many lives. In the name of your Son, Jesus, I pray, Amen.

Amen. tom.

NeverMore1701
08-30-2012, 16:16
Damn. Still hoping for the best!

tous
08-30-2012, 17:25
Prayers and hope for strength for him and his family. :angel:

Lady Glock
08-30-2012, 17:51
Standing in agreement with Bob's prayer. God be with him and his loved ones...and guide the doctors to do what it will take to make him whole if that is God's Will.

cmb19
08-30-2012, 19:16
I don't even know what to say...I'm so sorry. :crying:

MasterShake
08-30-2012, 19:28
Man......poor guy. I'm still keeping the faith about Jeff. Can't hold a good man down!