Cascading Grid Crash: Now 600 Million Without Power in India [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cascading Grid Crash: Now 600 Million Without Power in India

Glock Man_G19
07-31-2012, 09:20
Ok, so half the country is out of power. This really sucks for those people but can be a learning experience for us.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/07/31/uk-india-blackout-idUSLNE86U01G20120731

HalfHazzard
07-31-2012, 10:01
UN scientists have determined that if they would just update their grid to a "smart grid", build more wind turbines, and switch incandescent lightbulbs to energy efficient mercury containing light bulbs, this wouldn't have happened.

In seriousness, 670 million is a lot. Do you have water/food on hand?

RWBlue
07-31-2012, 10:42
UN scientists have determined that if they would just update their grid to a "smart grid", build more wind turbines, and switch incandescent lightbulbs to energy efficient mercury containing light bulbs, this wouldn't have happened.

In seriousness, 670 million is a lot. Do you have water/food on hand?

I know you are joking, but since there issue appears to be mainly based on consumption.....LED lightbulbs for the country may actually solve their issues.

Additionally, their grid is very out of date. The wires going to the homes and businesses are very out of date. I hate to say it because people here don't like to hear it, but sometimes you need to have civil engineers working for the city/country who make master plans setting up a good infrastructure so that the system can grow efficiently.

Now let me tell you a story. A long long time ago in a far away place (the midwest), there was a computer security engineer who worked for an international company. This company had systems in multiple places like Canida, Mexico, England, Germany and India. These systems were heavily dependent on electricity and communications lines to do what they needed to do. Well one day the security engineer can not reach his secondary machines in India. There was panic. For ever minute these machines were down it was costing several companies lots of money. The secuirty engineer tried to call his counterpart in India. He was unable to reach this person. Others in the organization tried to reach thier counterparts in India. No one was able to get through. After much a do, we send someone from the primary site to see what happened at the secondary site. A day or so later we got word, phone company building for the secondary site had burned down taking with it part of the power building. It would be several months before the security engineer could contact those system and bring them back on line. True story and it wasn't that long ago.

pugman
07-31-2012, 13:19
The U.S power grid was built with a service life of 50 years.

The average piece of equipment on the grid is 43-45 years old.

The estimated bill to upgrade the entire U.S grid is north of $2 trillion dollars.

Think China will take another I.O.U?

mj9mm
07-31-2012, 14:02
i understand they have been going green, cutting back on nuclear and coal, if thats true, they will be very green shortly. better get used to it:whistling:. so they buy generators and batteries, not so green any more.

RWBlue
07-31-2012, 14:02

So far they have taken IOUs for everything Obama has run up, so.....

rockabillyrider
07-31-2012, 14:48
What could possibly go wrong with this setup?????

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f68/81955d1212260321-india-its-where-you-call-when-you-have-technical-problem-your-comp-electric_wire_3.jpg

JuneyBooney
07-31-2012, 14:53
The U.S power grid was built with a service life of 50 years.

The average piece of equipment on the grid is 43-45 years old.

The estimated bill to upgrade the entire U.S grid is north of $2 trillion dollars.

I never noticed a difference in power bills at all when I changed to the efficient bulbs. But the bulbs do last longer normally.

It is sad that all those people are out of electric. I think in reality that we all need back up generators everywhere we go.

In Dc lots of the lines are upgraded each storm because the old trees knock them down. :whistling:

Angry Fist
07-31-2012, 14:54

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f68/81955d1212260321-india-its-where-you-call-when-you-have-technical-problem-your-comp-electric_wire_3.jpg
Das ****? :shocked:

HandyMan Hugh
07-31-2012, 15:07

OMG that looks like a nest of snakes eating pretzels in a bed spring!

ca survivor
07-31-2012, 15:50
600 million in India is just a couple of blocks. :rofl:

RedHaze
07-31-2012, 16:08
Hey, at least they'll get to see some stars for a while! That's really cutting down on light polution.

wjv
07-31-2012, 17:03

Looks too me like it's "up to code". . . . For India.

Having been to India a Dozen times or so, I can say that things like that are quite common. . .

Babynine
08-01-2012, 08:59
Have the roaming brownout/blackouts already begun here? It seems as though every heatwave in the States this year when power demands are highest, there is a large region without power for days, or longer due to storms, without any hurricanes.

Could this be somewhat on purpose, as in delayed repairs, because our grid is approaching its limits during these heatwaves that are affecting such large portions of the country?

Anyway, I live in Liberal Madison Wi, and I don't think they would allow the power to be down for long here, as the Liberals may begin to wake up and realize they need to care for themselves after a couple days without power.

kirgi08
08-01-2012, 09:46
tagged.

Jake514
08-04-2012, 16:02
Have the roaming brownout/blackouts already begun here? It seems as though every heatwave in the States this year when power demands are highest, there is a large region without power for days, or longer due to storms, without any hurricanes.

Could this be somewhat on purpose, as in delayed repairs, because our grid is approaching its limits during these heatwaves that are affecting such large portions of the country?

Anyway, I live in Liberal Madison Wi, and I don't think they would allow the power to be down for long here, as the Liberals may begin to wake up and realize they need to care for themselves after a couple days without power.

I think it is a combination of grid and equipment age, everyone cutting budgets, deregulation (causing many power companies to not be able to simply pass along all costs to consumers), etc. Newer switchgear also requires air conditioning as it is electronic and not electromechanical. If AC is not available or the owner not willing to pay to put AC in, elec gear is not upgraded.

I hope not, but if there ever is another solar storm like the Carrington Effect, it will be many years before life returns to pre-storm "normal."

humanguerrilla
08-05-2012, 09:27
compact fluorescent bulbs= mercury, stronger bigger magnetic field, even negative UV effects on skin
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1751-1097.2012.01192.x/abstract

bdcochran
08-05-2012, 10:00
Actually, the Red Chinese have 23 new nuclear reactors in their planning.

Read my latest book The China Connection. Author's last name is Cochran

HAMMERHEAD
08-07-2012, 15:26
One of my big concerns is a long lasting blackout hitting the northern states during winter.
When I ask people what they'll do, the first thing they say is 'well, the gas will still be on', thinking their furnace will still run somehow.
Maybe 1 out of 50 or 100 homes in my town have wood stoves.
In the upper midwest 1 week without power in sub zero weather could be a real disaster.

I suppose the same thing applies to those living the the southwest who depend on A/C for survival in mid summer.

I can't even imagine how nasty and dangerous it must be over in the blackout area of India. God bless them.

bdcochran
08-07-2012, 17:10
"Maybe 1 out of 50 or 100 homes in my town have wood stoves."

Ok.

Back yard incinerators are illegal here. No one I know of has a wood stove. I am not sure about the legal use of fireplaces here. However, the last person in the area to use his fireplace burned trash in it about 4 years ago on Christmas Eve and it resulted in multiple calls to the local fire station.

I am sure that if you went around my block, you would find at 11 houses only 1 that has more than one container of propane. Of course, there are large apartment complexes near by where people don't even have outside grills, much less propane grills.

We don't have a heat wave problem along the beach. Of course, the local government watches out for every one by having cooling centers - meaning an auditorium where the slight air conditioning requires electricity.

The 2003 European heat wave was the hottest summer on record in Europe since at least 1540.[1] France was hit especially hard. The heat wave led to health crises in several countries and combined with drought to create a crop shortfall in parts of Southern Europe. Peer reviewed analysis places the European death toll at 70,000.

quake
08-07-2012, 18:18
One of my big concerns is a long lasting blackout hitting the northern states during winter.

...I suppose the same thing applies to those living the the southwest who depend on A/C for survival in mid summer...

I wouldn't put A/C on the same level as heat. I grew up in michigan, and have been 30 years down south now - texas & arkansas - and lack of a/c sucks but it's not generally life-threatening.

My a/c went out in my truck sunday a week ago. Dealership has a part on order and say it 'may' be in this week. We've been in record high temps and hasn't killed me yet. Still sucks, don't get me wrong, but lack of heat up north would be much worse imo.

(I did mention it sucks, right..? :) )

RWBlue
08-07-2012, 21:11
I have seen the power out in the cold and the power out in the heat.

I will take power out in the heat any day.....but then again I am not really old. Really old and no AC can be a killer. i.e. We have had more people die this year for heat related problems than in the past year, and the summer isn't over.