Where do the roads and bridges come from? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where do the roads and bridges come from?

Vic777
07-31-2012, 14:21
We've heard the Dumocrat viewpoint. What's the truth?

Angry Fist
07-31-2012, 14:22
Obama said I didn't do it.

Lethaltxn
07-31-2012, 14:28
They come from producers paying taxes.
The government is required to build them.

Kablam
07-31-2012, 14:50
This has to be a trick question. :supergrin:

fgutie35
07-31-2012, 14:59
Obama built it, not the taxpayers money!:supergrin:

Seriously, from what I know, after world war I, many GIs came back without a job. So the Gov. With citizens tax money, put them to work in the transportation dept. They built railroads, roads, bridges and parks. I believe that also happened after world war II.

hogfish
07-31-2012, 15:15
We've heard the Dumocrat viewpoint. What's the truth?

From your neighbors. :grouphug:

Brucev
07-31-2012, 16:47
Where do the roads and bridges come from? The places where people want to leave. Where do the roads and bridges go to? The places where people want to go. Because the people who want to leave a place often are traveling at the same time on the same roads and bridges as the people who want to go to a place, a nice yellow line is painted down the middle of the road so that everyone can stay in their lane of travel.

Various taxes pay the cost of these roads and bridges. No different than when earlier generations used canals, light rail, etc., to develop transportation networks that greatly lowered costs for people and businesses. Cool.

Flintlocker
07-31-2012, 16:53
Maybe if your libertarian fantasies come true then every road could be a toll road.

cowboy1964
07-31-2012, 20:54
Maybe if your libertarian fantasies come true then every road could be a toll road.

It's the Dumocrats in California that want to put a GPS into everyone's car so they can charge by the mile.

Yessir How High
07-31-2012, 20:54

18 to 24 cents per gallon of gas we pay in taxes in this country. Much more in foreign contries.

LOL.

Just think, you are paying a tax (toll) to mow your yard.

Not that it is a penalty, like Roberts says, but don't you think it is a toll?

Vic777
07-31-2012, 21:09
Much more in foreign countriesThat's exactly how the Dumocrats drag us down into the sewer. They keep sayin' "It's worse everywhere else".

Yessir How High
07-31-2012, 21:18
That's exactly how the Dumocrats drag us down into the sewer. They keep sayin' "It's worse everywhere else".

Sorry if I introduced foreign countries into the mix. I am trying to ask you if you feel that paying a fuel tax on the gas that you use to mow your lawn

(instituted to maintain the roads and bridges)

is or is not a toll,

the evil toll that would be imposed by the private ownership of roads?

Vic777
08-01-2012, 07:27
Sorry if I introduced foreign countries into the mix. I am trying to ask you if you feel that paying a fuel tax on the gas that you use to mow your lawn

(instituted to maintain the roads and bridges)

is or is not a toll,

the evil toll that would be imposed by the private ownership of roads?It's a tax on fuel consumption. The proceeds go to pay Government Pensions and the salaries of the Government Class.

series1811
08-01-2012, 07:29
Silly people. Everyone knows Obama got it from "his stash".

Obama Stash - YouTube

MZBKA
08-01-2012, 18:21
It's a tax on fuel consumption. The proceeds go to pay Government Pensions and the salaries of the Government Class.

The gasoline tax no longer covers road and construction maintenance.

Kablam
08-01-2012, 20:29

I don't think that is a reasonable conclusion to arrive at based on what's being said. I could be wrong though. The point is that O told the world that in his view, the roads and such were built by private businesses using money that comes from successful private businesses providing income that the gov taxes. The gov only administers the construction and maintenance (right or wrong is another debate). Somehow the progressive left cant see that view.