Glock 21 SF Silencer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock 21 SF Silencer

DEE50
07-31-2012, 17:38
I am wondering how much a silencer configuration would cost for a G21 SF. Also what would be involved in acquiring one? I live in MO.

DeLo
07-31-2012, 20:07
I am wondering how much a silencer configuration would cost for a G21 SF. Also what would be involved in acquiring one? I live in MO.
contact goingqueit.com; they do packages can/gun for great prices.

chemcmndr
07-31-2012, 20:10
Well, depends on the suppressor. I think YHM cans are in the $500-$600 range. I went with an AAC Ti-Rant .45 (one of two hearing safe dry .45 ACP, and is user serviceable), although since titanium is involved, the price is like $850. Then you figure in the $200 tax stamp. If your local sheriff/police chief will sign the paperwork, you're good to go. Otherwise you will spend $50-$600 on an NFA trust. Finally, you will need to get a threaded barrel. Factory Glock is about $200. Aftermarket ones run about $120.

Edit to add: As far as the paperwork process, you find the suppressor you want, and have your local class 3 dealer order it. It takes about a month to come in. Then you fill out two copies of the ATF Form 4. If submitting as an individual, you attach two photos and submit your fingerprint card along with the forms to the ATF and wait 6-7 months. When the forms come back to the dealer, you go in and take your can home. If submitting as a trust, you submit copies of your trust documentation and forget the photo/fingerprints and the CLEO signature. Same wait time though.

Fireman1291
08-25-2012, 15:25
I have one. What do you want to know?

Glock 21SF + SWR HEMS2 silencer Video Review - YouTube

DEE50
01-01-2013, 22:00
I have one. What do you want to know?

Glock 21SF + SWR HEMS2 silencer Video Review - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g438FapD3qQ)

I'm wondering how quiet a silencer actually is for a gun such as the Glock 21 with subsonic ammo. Is it comparable to the movies or no? How does it contrast to a .22 LR?

chemcmndr
01-02-2013, 16:12
I'm wondering how quiet a silencer actually is for a gun such as the Glock 21 with subsonic ammo. Is it comparable to the movies or no? How does it contrast to a .22 LR?

Well, you can look at the decibel reduction for most suppressors online, and a general rule of thumb is that for every 3 dB reduction, you half the perceived sound. In my experience, a suppressed subsonic 9mm is quieter than a suppressed .45, just because of the larger bore allowing more gasses to escape. Once you use the .45 "wet" it gets to about 9mm quiet. Typically I equate the 9mm and .45 to a pneumatic nail gun being operated. With a .22 LR, it's more like uncoupling the pneumatic connection on the nail gun. In all of them with subsonic ammunition, you can hear the sound of the bullet impact over the actual shot.

While suppressors are never really "movie quiet" they do perform extremely well in that they alter the sound to something that isn't readily identifiable as a gunshot.

DEE50
01-04-2013, 20:05
Well, you can look at the decibel reduction for most suppressors online, and a general rule of thumb is that for every 3 dB reduction, you half the perceived sound. In my experience, a suppressed subsonic 9mm is quieter than a suppressed .45, just because of the larger bore allowing more gasses to escape. Once you use the .45 "wet" it gets to about 9mm quiet. Typically I equate the 9mm and .45 to a pneumatic nail gun being operated. With a .22 LR, it's more like uncoupling the pneumatic connection on the nail gun. In all of them with subsonic ammunition, you can hear the sound of the bullet impact over the actual shot.

While suppressors are never really "movie quiet" they do perform extremely well in that they alter the sound to something that isn't readily identifiable as a gunshot.

This is extremely helpful.

DEE50
01-04-2013, 20:06

So is the cheaper YHM silencer inferior or not nescessarily? :faint:

Voodoochild
01-04-2013, 20:58

I have a HEMS2 with a Glock 21 as well...wetting it down makes a big difference but you won't ever get it movie quiet

rimshaker
01-05-2013, 00:14
AAC TiRant 45 and the Silencerco Osprey 45 are really the only two cans you should be considering. And i would personally get the Tirant since it can be easily taken apart for cleaning.

kateean2
01-05-2013, 01:22
Ahh! I stand corrected then, Thanks for clearing that up.
http://www.booksstore.info/ook/bacy.jpg
http://www.booksstore.info/jokelist/boxes.jpg

chemcmndr
01-05-2013, 02:47
So is the cheaper YHM silencer inferior or not nescessarily? :faint:
"Inferior?" I wouldn't necessarily say so. A lot depends on your intended purpose and what features you would like. Cost, weight, user serviceable, mounting options, and decibel reduction all play into everyone's decision, but you have to find out what is best for you. Like most will tell you, the resale market on suppressors is virtually nil, so you might as well get the best quality suppressor that you can afford.

I can't speak to YHM because I have never owned or shot one. In .45 I ended up selecting AAC's Ti-Rant .45 because it was user serviceable, one of two cans that are hearing safe when shot dry, light weight because of the titanium tube, and relatively affordable for me.