how to deal with frustration [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : how to deal with frustration

kyglockshooter 2.0
07-31-2012, 17:43
In Ohio the g35 i was shooting was having ftfeed problems and it felt like i was shooting the most confidently i ever have. it was the final guns and i tried multiple strings with ftf and i tried not to show my frustration but it did mess up my shooting.

my question is when this happens to you what steps do you take to calm down and finish strong? Being a very youth full 20 year old I do not think my tactics may be the best approach.

SARDG
07-31-2012, 17:56
In Ohio the g35 i was shooting was having ftfeed problems and it felt like i was shooting the most confidently i ever have. it was the final guns and i tried multiple strings with ftf and i tried not to show my frustration but it did mess up my shooting.

my question is when this happens to you what steps do you take to calm down and finish strong? Being a very youth full 20 year old I do not think my tactics may be the best approach.
Ask for a reshoot immediately - which everyone gets at least one of. If you still experience an FTF, the RO is supposed to send you to the armorer to see if it's a a gun issue. Either way, you get to back off the line and regroup.

You weren't tired and limp-wristing, were you? :)

ETA: Factory ammo??

PM720
07-31-2012, 21:31
Obviously it is hard to deal with mid string but once you are done with that mag take a few seconds, look down and take a deep breath to try and clear your mind of the frustration and move on to the next string. Just try and refocus. It's not always easy but it's something to try.

Scott

SARDG
07-31-2012, 21:48
...once you are done with that mag take a few seconds, look down and take a deep breath to try and clear your mind of the frustration and move on to the next string. Just try and refocus...

ScottI'm-a-thinking that I'm the only shooter in GSSF who asks for a reshoot, and the only RO that proactively offers them. :faint:

PM720
07-31-2012, 21:51
I'm-a-thinking that I'm the only shooter in GSSF who asks for a reshoot, and the only RO that proactively offers them. :faint:

Sorry, I didn't mean to not ask for a reshoot. Just offering up a way to try and refocus after a malfunction. :embarassed:

Scott

kyglockshooter 2.0
07-31-2012, 22:04
I'm-a-thinking that I'm the only shooter in GSSF who asks for a reshoot, and the only RO that proactively offers them. :faint:

yeah i tried to just clear the jam and drop the mag and get a new one in and i had it at a decent speed only problem new mag same problem lol. i just took a step back and let the ro's decide what action to take i was just pulling the trigger when i hear the beep i wasnt going to try to discuss rules or anything because i didnt wanna slow other people down because thats not fair to them

kyglockshooter 2.0
07-31-2012, 22:05
Sorry, I didn't mean to not ask for a reshoot. Just offering up a way to try and refocus after a malfunction. :embarassed:

Scott
and thank ya man its hard for me to take a step back and slow down i am such a lets go i dont wanna wait person that i kill my self in my scores. stupid maturity needs to fall upon me

SARDG
07-31-2012, 22:20
...i just took a step back and let the ro's decide what action to take i was just pulling the trigger when i hear the beep i wasnt going to try to discuss rules or anything because i didnt wanna slow other people down because thats not fair to them
As an RO, every shooter at the line at a given moment is my customer and gets treated fairly and equally.

As a shooter, I don't care if I'm on the 33rd round of a stage, I will likely ask for a reshoot. In the long-term scheme of things over a match year, I speed up shooting for folks behind me.

What did your RO say?

Glockrunner
08-01-2012, 05:05
If you are using factory ammo as a RO at the end of your string I might offer you a reshoot but it is up to you afterall.
If after the second string the same happens again, you are going to get a reshoot and I'll have you bag or holster the gun. There is no need to force a competitor to shoot with a faulty gun. Limp-wristing aside of course.

I understand that you are looking for a procedure to calm down, and getting off the line, bagging the gun is the best way for you, me and the other folks around to deal with you and your situation. Face it, your under a bit of stress while on the line or you won't be asking to begin with. A jamming gun just makes a stressful situation worse.

As a competitor and safety officer, I want the best of both worlds for you and I. Neither of us want to beat the other without us both performing 100%. Bsides I compete more against myself than I do others at the match so I want to have at least a stable shooting gun in order to compare my ability that day.

When it is over and done, in the end it is just a game and not a very enjoyable one if our equipment is malfunctioning.

ede
08-01-2012, 05:18

You're wrong about that, but not far off either.

SARDG
08-01-2012, 06:07
You're wrong about that, but not far off either.
Does that mean there are 2 of us Ed? :)

I'm certain there are more shooters and ROs who think 'reshoot', but as you imply... not many.

Roadkill_751
08-01-2012, 09:16
Just take it out on the RO's. They are just volunteers.

Just kidding.....:rofl: Always ask for a reshoot

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-01-2012, 12:58
As an RO, every shooter at the line at a given moment is my customer and gets treated fairly and equally.

As a shooter, I don't care if I'm on the 33rd round of a stage, I will likely ask for a reshoot. In the long-term scheme of things over a match year, I speed up shooting for folks behind me.

What did your RO say?

my ro gave me a re shoot which i took but then i had another string that was worse than the one i took the reshoot on so i just took the better of the two crappy scores and went on my merry way. as i said i kept a happy :cool: face on. and i love you final line i speed up shooting for folks behind me.

If you are using factory ammo as a RO at the end of your string I might offer you a reshoot but it is up to you afterall.
If after the second string the same happens again, you are going to get a reshoot and I'll have you bag or holster the gun. There is no need to force a competitor to shoot with a faulty gun. Limp-wristing aside of course.

I understand that you are looking for a procedure to calm down, and getting off the line, bagging the gun is the best way for you, me and the other folks around to deal with you and your situation. Face it, your under a bit of stress while on the line or you won't be asking to begin with. A jamming gun just makes a stressful situation worse.

As a competitor and safety officer, I want the best of both worlds for you and I. Neither of us want to beat the other without us both performing 100%. Bsides I compete more against myself than I do others at the match so I want to have at least a stable shooting gun in order to compare my ability that day.

When it is over and done, in the end it is just a game and not a very enjoyable one if our equipment is malfunctioning.

yeah my dad came to a conclusion as to why it was functioning and has fixed it. and thankfully it wasn't limp wrist i have always tried to have a strong grip since my Dad and I were able to take the entry level armorers course, and they teach you the weapon won't function properly with a limp wrist. and looking back i should have holstered it, but i was a tough guy and didn't want to walk away. and as you said its just a game but its a game that my dad has invested a lot of time and money into so i don't like not being able to be better each time but i realized that if i was truly shooting the best i ever have, well then next competition i can hopefully get some practice in and be that much dam better.

SARDG
08-01-2012, 15:02
...yeah my dad came to a conclusion as to why it was functioning and has fixed it. and thankfully it wasn't limp wrist i have always tried to have a strong grip since my Dad and I were able to take the entry level armorers course, and they teach you the weapon won't function properly with a limp wrist. and looking back i should have holstered it, but i was a tough guy and didn't want to walk away. and as you said its just a game but its a game that my dad has invested a lot of time and money into so i don't like not being able to be better each time but i realized that if i was truly shooting the best i ever have, well then next competition i can hopefully get some practice in and be that much dam better.
Now that's a helluva sentence there! :supergrin:

BamaTrooper
08-01-2012, 15:55
I just yell a lot and put the hoo doo on the next shooter...misery loves company, ya know :uglylol:

SARDG
08-01-2012, 16:14
If after the second string the same happens again, you are going to get a reshoot and I'll have you bag or holster the gun....
Think you meant "are NOT going...".

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-01-2012, 22:54
Now that's a helluva sentence there! :supergrin:

haha i was wondering if anyone was going to notice my bad puncuation. i apologize

PM720
08-02-2012, 00:16
haha i was wondering if anyone was going to notice my bad puncuation. i apologize

I think you need to HAVE punctuation before it can be BAD! Well, I guess there IS a comma or two in there! :faint::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott

PM720
08-02-2012, 00:17
You know, thinking about this for a second you could apply this to your shooting. Slow down and PUNCTUATE your targets! :wow::supergrin:

Scott

Chromepulse
08-02-2012, 06:26
1. Focus breathing (in 4 sec, hold for 2, out for 4)

2. Self image booster: (customize as you see fit)
"I am a tenacious, dedicate and relentlessly hard working competitor who is a threat to anyone I compete against because of my focus on preparation. I am unstoppable in competition and am the Amateur Civilian champion"

3. Performance statement (as you step to the line)
"Grip the gun, see the sights, relax and flow with it"

You have to practice your mindset the same time you practice your shooting, you can't just step up and expect to do it well out of the blue. You also need to have put in enough work and practice that you know you're not lying to yourself about what you're capable of!

BamaTrooper
08-02-2012, 08:24

Now we are after your spelling....:tongueout:

PM720
08-02-2012, 17:57
Now we are after your spelling....:tongueout:

:rofl:

PM720
08-02-2012, 18:02
"I am a tenacious, dedicate and relentlessly hard working competitor who is a threat to anyone I compete against because of my focus on preparation. I am unstoppable in competition and am the Amateur Civilian champion"

Hey, exactly what I say to myself on the plates!

BEEP! BANG! MIKE, PING, PING, MIKE, PING, MIKE, MIKE, PING, PING, MIKE, PING! Dang, I SUCK! :embarassed::faint:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Scott

Justin1911
08-02-2012, 19:22
As a side note , glock report never mentions "factory ammo" and reshoot together. You can get a reshoot regardless of reloads or factory. Seems to be a common misconception

BamaTrooper
08-02-2012, 19:54
...2. Self image booster: (customize as you see fit)...

If Chromepulse can do it... so can I:tongueout:

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-02-2012, 20:21
:rofl:
Ok, seeing as how I am unable to get ahead I shall keep my responses short and hoepfully screw up free.

PM720
08-02-2012, 22:23
Ok, seeing as how I am unable to get ahead I shall keep my responses short and hoepfully screw up free.

Why do you think I use the smilies so much? :supergrin:

Scott

PM720
08-02-2012, 22:25
And for the record, I was laughing at Bama's comment. HE was teasing you about your spelling! :whistling::supergrin:

Scott

BamaTrooper
08-03-2012, 07:34

:tongueout:

Grammar is more important than punctuation, so as long as we can understand u, 4get about punktuation & tell you're story or ask ewer questions. Everything else is just good natured ribbing.

As far as your original question, just enjoy the shooting....then worry about winning (or doing better than last time or whatever your goal is).

Alexd29
08-03-2012, 07:47
Dont worry young paduan, i know its been said 100's of times.before. slow down and get good hits on the paper stages. the guys i shoot with always have good string times, but end of with more penalty time for the stage then shooting time.

when we add up scores on the way home im always shaking my head. if they would only take that extra second or two on each string for better accuracy they could reduce their total time by 25% or more.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SARDG
08-03-2012, 08:16
Dont worry young paduan, i know its been said 100's of times.before. slow down and get good hits on the paper stages...
Don't listen to him!! David took at least 3 or 4 weeks after his first Glock purchase and match to make Master. :tongueout:

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-03-2012, 09:57
Dont worry young paduan, i know its been said 100's of times.before. slow down and get good hits on the paper stages. the guys i shoot with always have good string times, but end of with more penalty time for the stage then shooting time.

when we add up scores on the way home im always shaking my head. if they would only take that extra second or two on each string for better accuracy they could reduce their total time by 25% or more.

Slowing down to go faster appears that is the way for me to shoot better. I first heard it while racing motocross. Now I find my self TRYING to apply it whenever possible. Yet being a 20 year old I don't have the internal maturity to put it into practice everytime I'm on the line I get half way through a string I realize crap I need to slow down.

SARDG
08-03-2012, 10:16
Slowing down to go faster appears that is the way for me to shoot better. I first heard it while racing motocross. Now I find my self TRYING to apply it whenever possible. Yet being a 20 year old I don't have the internal maturity to put it into practice everytime I'm on the line I get half way through a string I realize crap I need to slow down.
That's the way for everyone to shoot better times. Everyone has their speed, which once exceeded, results in diminishing returns. Bryan's and David's and other Masters' personal speeds are without a doubt, faster than yours right now. Does NOT matter, you must shoot YOUR speed while still retaining that accuracy.

I began competitive shooting at 17 years old in high school and had enough maturity to win matches. Look at Tori Nonaka! We have a new 15 year old Junior shooter on Team AHC for whom 75 is a high score. 20 years old is old enough to control your own destiny - and that GSSF destiny begins by slowing down.

ETA: What I have gleaned out of this exchange is that there is not necessarily a lack of maturity, but perhaps a lack of discipline - another achievable trait.

SARDG
08-03-2012, 20:55
Well, this is interesting. This is what Admiral Papp, the Commandant of the Coast Guard had to say today in an ALCOAST message on the eve of Coast Guard Day; in part:

...This year, as we celebrate the 222nd birthday of the U.S. Coast Guard, we will dedicate time to honor our profession by focusing on proficiency throughout the Service.

...we must rely on the enduring anchors that define us as Coast Guardsmen-members of the profession of arms-and that are crucial to our success: proficiency in craft, proficiency in leadership, and disciplined initiative. Beyond the current situation, they are enduring...

Perhaps one can apply those words to gain success in the shooting sports.

Kitty

kyglockshooter 2.0
08-05-2012, 14:45
ETA: What I have gleaned out of this exchange is that there is not necessarily a lack of maturity, but perhaps a lack of discipline - another achievable trait.[/QUOTE]

I believe a lack of discipline is the correct statement. I would say that i just used the incorrect wording, Don't get me wrong i can be very immature but when I'm around guns i know how to turn that off.