questions for pro 1000 owners [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : questions for pro 1000 owners

liscomb20
08-01-2012, 06:18
I just bought a lee pro 1000 press and I want everything on hand to mount it before it arrives tomorrow . Im mounting it to a bench with a plywood top. Im putting 2 pieces of 1/2 inch plywood together to make a 1inch thick top. Would this be strong enough for the press or do I need to go up to 3/4 plywood? Then what size bolts do I need to mount the press through 1 in or 1 1/2 in plywood? Just seeing how thick the base is on the press where the bolts go. Also I will take suggestions on something other then plywood. But I think that will work the best. thanks in advace

Boxerglocker
08-01-2012, 08:56
You can never get too stiff.... personally I would go 3/4 on top of 1/2 minimum. Make it as heavy as possible or lag bolt it to a stud in the wall. ANY press will benefit from it.

CaptainXL
08-04-2012, 08:17
After you have the Pro 1000 mounted, working, etc. please post about how you like it. A lot of negative comments are posted in "reviews" and other places about problems with priming on the 1000 but I am strongly considering getting a 1000 this fall. Have been using a Lee Turret (9's & 40's) and like it a lot but am now to the point where I would like faster production.

I know all of the Dillon guys are going to say to save my money and get a Dillon but I like my Lee Turret and after researching, think that the Pro 1000 offers a lot of bang for the buck.

SJ 40
08-04-2012, 08:33
After you have the Pro 1000 mounted, working, etc. please post about how you like it. A lot of negative comments are posted in "reviews" and other places about problems with priming on the 1000 but I am strongly considering getting a 1000 this fall. Have been using a Lee Turret (9's & 40's) and like it a lot but am now to the point where I would like faster production.

I know all of the Dillon guys are going to say to save my money and get a Dillon but I like my Lee Turret and after researching, think that the Pro 1000 offers a lot of bang for the buck.Capt.
I had one some years back,had being the key word. One can reload on one assuming he doesn't mind all the priming problems. You can keep it as clean and graphited as you like,bolted down tight and it's still not truly a progressive if you can't prime on it with any consistency.

You can get it to work after a fashion it you prime off the press but then it's truly not a progressive,their are much better choices in either D blue or H red or even RCBS green. I wish some one could have gotten me to understand this before I tortured myself with one. SJ 40

norton
08-04-2012, 10:41
Primer feed is the bug a boo of all presses. Some handle it better then others.
FWIW, my bench top is two slabs of 1/2 plywood with a thin sheet of white laminate on top to make clean up of powder spill easy.

unclebob
08-04-2012, 12:04
Depending on how wide you have it. I would use plywood topped with MDF or two layers of MDF . I would also use large fender washers on the bottom of the plywood or the MDF.

michael e
08-04-2012, 12:10
I used a 1/4 sheet of steal on top of a 1/2 sheet of wood. I used wood only for a year or so and it just wasn't holding up.
Been bolted down too long for me to remember what bolts I went with .

IndyGunFreak
08-04-2012, 12:45

I know all of the Dillon guys are going to say to save my money and get a Dillon but I like my Lee Turret and after researching, think that the Pro 1000 offers a lot of bang for the buck.

The Pro1k, seems to have less issues than the Loadmaster. As said above, the priming mechanism is the achilles heal of reloading presses.

2, 3/4in sheets of plywood is a pretty good top, although I think fred's idea of 3/4in ply topped w/ two sheets of MDF, would be extremely strong as well.

liscomb20
08-04-2012, 17:45
I say go for the press you want. Yea you can spend tons of money to get the top of the line press but thats true for everything. Alot of people cant afford to spend $1000 dollars on a press to make ammo I know I cant and dont think I ever will. I cant justify that much money on something like that. I got the press on my cart I ended up bolting 2 pieces of 3/4 in plywood together and then edging it and then stained it. Its not very big but it works for me living in a small apartment and I also put casters on it so I can move it around when im not using it. When I did get it all setup I loaded some ammo didnt go fast because just making sure everything was good. After about 50 slow rounds I cranked it up and was spitting them out pretty fast. I did have a primer go sideways on mebut it was my fault because I purposely let the primers run low to see where it would start to go wacky and it turns out to be with 8 primers left in the shute. Other then that everything ran very good. For me I can put up with the primers flipping and tinkering with it for the price. And for all the people that get powder all over because they didnt get the primer in right maybe shouldnt be loading because there is a distinct difference in the handle. Because i purposely put a primer in upside down, sideways, and ran a case through with no primers and I could tell the difference from night and day. So my opinion would be that it is a decent press, yes not the top of the line but in the end it puts out the same quality and im sure the same quantity ammo when all said and done.

F106 Fan
08-04-2012, 18:25
That's a nice setup! Very compact.

Richard

CaptainXL
08-05-2012, 14:30
I like the way that you ended up mounting it. I too am cramped for space and have my press mounted on a 2x12 which is clamped (with 4 C clamps) to a Workmate folding work table that has a 3/4" MDF top. Surprisingly it it pretty damn sturdy (for what it is) and works fine with my Lee Turret. I have a 3' long shelving unit to store powder and other items on.

It sure would be nice to have the room to have a real work/loading bench but I manage to get by.

Let me know the good and the bad about the Pro 1000. Real interested in your opinions.

unclebob
08-05-2012, 15:15
I like the way that you ended up mounting it. I too am cramped for space and have my press mounted on a 2x12 which is clamped (with 4 C clamps) to a Workmate folding work table that has a 3/4" MDF top. Surprisingly it it pretty damn sturdy (for what it is) and works fine with my Lee Turret. I have a 3' long shelving unit to store powder and other items on.

It sure would be nice to have the room to have a real work/loading bench but I manage to get by.

Let me know the good and the bad about the Pro 1000. Real interested in your opinions.

A suggestion for you. Take two pieces of the MDF for however size you want to make the table top. Glue and screw a 2X4 on the bottom of the MDF so that it will fit between the jaws of the Work Mate. No more C clamps and you would have a flatter work space.

Romokid
08-07-2012, 07:01
I had a Lee Pro for years and loaded 9mm and just started .40 S&W and.223 with it. I don't remember how many rounds but it was probably between 4k to 8k. I have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for my bench top and its seem fine. (I like the idea of the white laminate top, I might have to add that.)The only problem I ever had was primer related but like was mentioned, it was because I let them get too low. (I actually just gave it to my cousin because I was able to pick up a 2yr old Loadmaster that someone bought but never used, the price was 150 rounds of .40 S&W. The only problem was I now had to go buy all new shell plates and turrets.)

How do you like the bullet feed? I have been thinking about getting one.

unclebob
08-07-2012, 07:48
I had a Lee Pro for years and loaded 9mm and just started .40 S&W and.223 with it. I don't remember how many rounds but it was probably between 4k to 8k. I have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood for my bench top and its seem fine. (I like the idea of the white laminate top, I might have to add that.)The only problem I ever had was primer related but like was mentioned, it was because I let them get too low. (I actually just gave it to my cousin because I was able to pick up a 2yr old Loadmaster that someone bought but never used, the price was 150 rounds of .40 S&W. The only problem was I now had to go buy all new shell plates and turrets.)

How do you like the bullet feed? I have been thinking about getting one.

I have laminate top on mine also on my reloading bench. But I would use a different color. I had white on mine and the light shining off the white was like snow blindness. I have butcher block design on mine now.

Romokid
08-07-2012, 09:59
I have laminate top on mine also on my reloading bench. But I would use a different color. I had white on mine and the light shining off the white was like snow blindness. I have butcher block design on mine now.

I had not thought of that, and I have a halogen shop light above my bench. Thanks for the tip.

WiskyT
08-07-2012, 18:27
If you want a cheap, but smooth top surface, you can use Masonite with the smooth side up. If it gets trashed over time, it is easy to replace. I'm not fussy about my benches appearance. One has a better grade of plywood, the other is covered in Masonite. Neither are sealed with urethane and have stains from gun cleaners etc. I could care less. But, if you care, you could seal it to protect it.

liscomb20
08-07-2012, 19:43
How do you like the bullet feed? I have been thinking about getting one.[/QUOTE]

So far I had to modify it a little. Where the bullets drop I had to add a nickel so the bullets would sit a little higher because everytime the fingers took a bullet the next one would tip over. I know that I could send in a bullet to lee and get a custom bullet drop but im not sure if im going to stick with these bullets yet. The are the rnfp 155 gr plated 40 cal from xtreme. But the nickel has been flawless so far. Then comes the fingers I had to add some tape to each one because they just didnt want to hold the bullets very good the bullet would drop out of the fingers before the case was there. I heard of people added some of that rubber stuff in a can. The same stuff you dip your pliers and differnt tools in. But then I also heard to get the small fingers and they are suppose to work for 40 cal bullets and I found them at titan reloading for 3 bucks a set so I ordered a couple of them. Ill let you know how it all turns out when I do my final mods to it

Romokid
08-08-2012, 06:05
Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence about adding the bullet feeder. I have the exact same bullet from Xtreme that I will be loading next. I just finished a batch of Speer 155 fmj. What are you using for your powder charge with the Xtreme?

liscomb20
08-08-2012, 08:04
Thanks for the info. I'm still on the fence about adding the bullet feeder. I have the exact same bullet from Xtreme that I will be loading next. I just finished a batch of Speer 155 fmj. What are you using for your powder charge with the Xtreme?

I was using 7.2 of accur #5 but I just got a lb of unique and im using 6.2 gr @ 1.130 havent shot any yet so im kind of excited to get to the range and try it.

Romokid
08-08-2012, 11:19
I was using 7.2 of accur #5 but I just got a lb of unique and im using 6.2 gr @ 1.130 havent shot any yet so im kind of excited to get to the range and try it.

Post up how they shoot for you. I like AA#7 for my 9mm and had just switched to Win231 for the 9mm & .40. I was loading 5.1 gr of 231 with speer 155 @ 1.125 and they shot pretty good.(one of these days I'll get a chrono but for now its just plinking and practice) I was shooting out of a M&P 40c and just picked up a G-22 so I'm going to see how they shoot out of that.

CaptainXL
08-10-2012, 08:13
If you want a cheap, but smooth top surface, you can use Masonite with the smooth side up. If it gets trashed over time, it is easy to replace. I'm not fussy about my benches appearance. One has a better grade of plywood, the other is covered in Masonite. Neither are sealed with urethane and have stains from gun cleaners etc. I could care less. But, if you care, you could seal it to protect it.

There are two types of masonite.
Be sure to use "tempered" masonite for a bench top as it is much harder. The edges won't crumble and the top won't dent. Tempered masonite is only a couple of bucks more per sheet and will last a lot longer.

CaptainXL
08-10-2012, 08:16
A suggestion for you. Take two pieces of the MDF for however size you want to make the table top. Glue and screw a 2X4 on the bottom of the MDF so that it will fit between the jaws of the Work Mate. No more C clamps and you would have a flatter work space.

I like that idea. When I have time to do so I think that I'll make a new top to use with the Workmate.

Thanks for the idea!!!

WiskyT
08-10-2012, 14:34
There are two types of masonite.
Be sure to use "tempered" masonite for a bench top as it is much harder. The edges won't crumble and the top won't dent. Tempered masonite is only a couple of bucks more per sheet and will last a lot longer.

Hmmm, I don't know which one I got but it seems to be holding up. I didn't see two different types at Home Depot when I bought it. I guess I got the tempered one judging by your description.

glockout
08-10-2012, 20:45
I bought two pro 1000s at a gun show years ago. They included dies and were 100 dollars for the pair.

I use them as two stage units and leave the priming to single stage presses as I want 100% reliability. One tipped primer and things go haywire as there are operations happening at both ends of the press throw. I have one set up for 9mm and the other for 45acp.

They are bolted to a wooden 3/4" wood table top with a layer of 3/4" plywood on top. They use 1/4" bolts I don't think that 5/16" bolts will fit with out modification. I have a big stack of washers underneath.

I don't used the accessory brass or bullet feeders. I look at every expanded brass to check for powder.

Oh one thing more. When you buy your press save enough back to get a chrony. Otherwise you are just guessing not really loading with science.

liscomb20
08-11-2012, 22:37
Oh one thing more. When you buy your press save enough back to get a chrony. Otherwise you are just guessing not really loading with science.

Yea nobody told me that when I bought all my presses and loading supplies. :eyebrow:
I was just looking the other day at the chrony f1. it seems to be popular and at around 80 bucks. I just wished someone lived around me that reloaded so I wouldnt have to buy everythijng and I could just borrow it.

gator378
08-14-2012, 16:07
I bought two pro 1000s at a gun show years ago. They included dies and were 100 dollars for the pair.

I use them as two stage units and leave the priming to single stage presses as I want 100% reliability. One tipped primer and things go haywire as there are operations happening at both ends of the press throw. I have one set up for 9mm and the other for 45acp.

They are bolted to a wooden 3/4" wood table top with a layer of 3/4" plywood on top. They use 1/4" bolts I don't think that 5/16" bolts will fit with out modification. I have a big stack of washers underneath.

I don't used the accessory brass or bullet feeders. I look at every expanded brass to check for powder.

+1 on the chrony.

GlockEyeDoc
08-19-2012, 16:02
I just got one myself. Pro 1000 that is. Her are some pics of my bench. It was the frame from an interlocking shelf you can get at lowes for $75.00. I used half the shelf and made a 4'x2' bench. I just used 2x4s and reinforced the sides, front and across the shelves then used nice plywood 3/4" on the two bottom shelves and 2 pieces of 3/4 for the top. Sanded the top and spray urethaned the top. I did add a little embellishment to the top. I like my stuff to look nice even if it's going to be worked on. Best part is I only used half of the shelf so I can make another if I need to.

Hope this helps

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine