10 Concepts Liberals Talk About, But Don't Understand [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10 Concepts Liberals Talk About, But Don't Understand

wjv
08-01-2012, 10:06
http://townhall.com/columnists/johnhawkins/2012/07/31/10_concepts_liberals_talk_about_incessantly_but_dont_understand/page/full/

brickboy240
08-01-2012, 10:55
I would add taxes and guns to that list.

Often discussed by leftists...but neither are items they have any sort of firm grasp on.

-brickboy240

nmk
08-01-2012, 11:43
Since we're painting with a broad brush, how does #1 not apply to LOTS of individuals on both sides?

whoflungdo
08-01-2012, 11:53
Since we're painting with a broad brush, how does #1 not apply to LOTS of individuals on both sides?

What conservative have you ever heard use the the phrase "open minded"??

G29Reload
08-01-2012, 11:59
priceless.

nmk
08-01-2012, 12:27
What conservative have you ever heard use the the phrase "open minded"??

I haven't thought about it in terms of popular conservative personalities. I read his first point and I think it applies to a broader group than he intended. If not pointing out specific GTPI examples means I'm wrong, then so be it. That entire piece was full of generics. It is what it is. Some truth, some bad logic.

whoflungdo
08-01-2012, 12:33
I haven't thought about it in terms of popular conservative personalities. I read his first point and I think it applies to a broader group than he intended. If not pointing out specific GTPI examples means I'm wrong, then so be it. That entire piece was full of generics. It is what it is. Some truth, some bad logic.

It can definitely apply to broader groups. I think it applies to most of the liberal/progressives I know. My main point is whenever I've heard the term "open-minded" its being used to bludgeon Conservatives or other people that do not agree with the Progressive/Liberal cause de jour.

W420Hunter
08-01-2012, 12:42
I dissagree with the one about race that no longer holds water. They broke that this time round to explain why in 3 states a convict got 40% of the vote.

countrygun
08-01-2012, 13:16
It can definitely apply to broader groups. I think it applies to most of the liberal/progressives I know. My main point is whenever I've heard the term "open-minded" its being used to bludgeon Conservatives or other people that do not agree with the Progressive/Liberal cause de jour.

Sorry but you are wrong. I have used the phrase "open-minded" many times

Liberals mis-use the phrase "open-minded" to mean "you must think as we do to prove you are "open-minded" by our new revised definition."

whoflungdo
08-01-2012, 13:31
Sorry but you are wrong. I have used the phrase "open-minded" many times

Then I stand corrected..

Liberals mis-use the phrase "open-minded" to mean "you must think as we do to prove you are "open-minded" by our new revised definition."

That's been the only place I've heard the term "open-minded" hence my post.

countrygun
08-01-2012, 13:45
Then I stand corrected..

That's been the only place I've heard the term "open-minded" hence my post.

You have got to watch folks that would support someone who argued about what the definiton of "is", is.

cowboy1964
08-01-2012, 14:22
Point #1 (being "open minded") is spot on. To libs it really means, "you must agree with me".

JFrame
08-01-2012, 14:30
A couple of other words/terms that I might include as being abused by statists, and leftists in particular, are "common sense" and "reasonable" -- as in "common sense or reasonable gun laws."

GAFinch
08-01-2012, 19:54
Should add Judeo-Christian theology to the list...they horribly butcher that. While some purposely distort teachings, it's clear many of them have absolutely no idea what they're talking about and not only aren't religious now, but never were growing up either.

Sam Spade
08-01-2012, 21:36
On fairness: The author is correct in sensing that liberals misuse or misunderstand the term, though he fails to put his finger on what's behind it.

To a liberal, "fair" is an equal outcome. Everyone has just as much money, every child gets a trophy, all the blades of grass are mowed to the same height. This drives their view of taxes, too. When they say "pay your fair share", they're looking for equal amounts left in everyone's pocket, not equal amounts or percentages taken from the pocket. So it's completely "fair" for anyone more wealthy than the mean to get knocked down to that point; if not by random events, then by the government.

Conservatives tend to want fair, that is equal, playing conditions, or truly equal opportunity. They understand that human variables will mean that some earn more and some earn less given the chance. Government ought to be removing obstacles, not dictating outcome.

Kablam
08-01-2012, 23:03
Spot on Sam.