60 House Bills to Name Post Offices, Zero To Fix Mail Service [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 60 House Bills to Name Post Offices, Zero To Fix Mail Service

Ruble Noon
08-01-2012, 12:40
http://news.yahoo.com/60-house-bills-name-post-offices-zero-fix-144624190--abc-news-politics.html

aircarver
08-01-2012, 13:03
Well, y'know they wanna get credit for naming those PO's before they close 'em ....:whistling:

CAcop
08-02-2012, 00:51
This is the problem with the USPS. Every cluster of houses with a politician willing to drop pork in his district to get elected hits him up to name a PO for some dude nobody gives a **** about 10 miles from the building. They need to start closing a lot of rural and even some suburban POs. Then drop Sat delivery. It might even be worthwhile to drop processing down to M-F, 9-5. If you want it faster go to FedEx or UPS.

pugman
08-02-2012, 05:07
"But USPS can't cut delivery without Congressional approval, and partisan disagreements over whether Congress should take control of USPS's operations until it is solvent again or if it should leave the decision making to the postmaster general have halted any action on Capitol Hill."

Congress taking control of the post office? Yeah..there is a great idea...

"The Postal Service has pleaded with Congress for years to end the requirement that it pre-fund its retiree's health benefits. But many lawmakers claim that because USPS has such a massive workforce - there are 614,000 Postal Service employees-if it does not pre-fund retirement benefits, it will not be able to pay them in the future"

The problem isn't the prefunding requirement...the problem is the retiree's health benefits they pay for in the first place.

Pensions and retiree health packages are crippling every city and state in this country. I forget the name, but the city in California which just filed bankrutpcy said its main culpret was the fact the city council voted in (for itself as well mind you) FREE FULL medical coverage for life?

But the biggest problem with the USPS is simple: its an outdated business model providing a service which is the equivalent of selling tape players. Sure, I still have a box of old cassette tapes somewhere - but I haven't looked at them in decades.

I think I will do an experiment for this month and see exactly how many pieces of mail I get which aren't junk or couldn't be delivered via email. I bet its less than 5