Recomend me a good .40 velocity [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recomend me a good .40 velocity

racer11
08-01-2012, 12:56
What would be a good accurate velocity for target/plinking with a .40 SW with a 165gr plated bullet using a G23 factory barrel.

So far I have loaded with 4.8 gr of Bullesye and I have not ventured past that. Lyman handbook shows that to be in the 700's FPS range.

fredj338
08-01-2012, 13:08
Does it function the gun? If that works for you, so be it. The gun always tells you what it likes. Me, I would NOT load BE but that is your decision. There are many other good choices for a 40 minor load, which you are shy of. I would want to be up around 800fps as a minor load for 40.

squirreld
08-01-2012, 17:39
I run 180's at a 1000.

F106 Fan
08-01-2012, 18:04
Some place at or slightly above 800 fps would assure you of making 'minor' in competition.

You would need to make a power factor of 125,000 which is the product of the bullet weight in grains and the velocity in feet per second.

Richard

dkf
08-01-2012, 18:07
A 165gr .40 bullet going 700fps is kind of sad. I would load some up around 900+fps to try. I would use a slower burning powder that fills the case nicely but that is just me.

greenlion
08-01-2012, 18:25
You don't need to run 180's at 1000 fps for plinking purposes. The original FBI load was a 180 at only 950fps, and it worked well.

Federal use to load the 165 grain at the same 950fps. It was a great target load. 700fps seems a bit anemic for about any modern caliber, and I'd be surprised if it did not cause ejection problems in some .40 cal guns without a reduced spring. I wouldn't go below 850fps myself.

squirreld
08-01-2012, 19:57
ok ok,
Chrony has me coming in at 988 for a 10 shot string.

Seems to match factory "plinking" loadings.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/147718/federal-american-eagle-ammunition-40-s-and-w-180-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2900297186/winchester-usa-ammunition-40-s-and-w-180-grain-full-metal-jacket

racer11
08-01-2012, 20:22
Does it function the gun? If that works for you, so be it. The gun always tells you what it likes. Me, I would NOT load BE but that is your decision. There are many other good choices for a 40 minor load, which you are shy of. I would want to be up around 800fps as a minor load for 40.

I would NOT load BE<<<<< What is "BE" ? Bullesye powder ??

Thanks for the input to all,,,,this was my first run with .40 and I started on the down side and do wish to work up to a reasonable load.

The gun functions just fine and it ejects the spent case's just fine. I shot a reload and then next a Speer 180gr factory and felt little difference---yes I know what it feels like is not the ticket,,but just saying.

I'm going to pick up the speed on the bullet as per what I'm reading,,,

Thanks for the input

F106 Fan
08-02-2012, 00:11
I would NOT load BE<<<<< What is "BE" ? Bullesye powder ??

BE = Bullseye

There are a number of reasons for moving to a slower powder than Bullseye. Among them is the ability to get high velocity without excessive pressure.

I don't load .40 S&W so take this for what it's worth - nothing... Look at slower powders like WSF or Unique. When you look at load information, you will see that these powders will deliver higher velocity with a max load than will fast powders like Bullseye.

There are a lot of folks on this forum that will recommend WSF for .40 S&W. I have tried it with 9mm and it seems to work pretty well.

Here's a burn rate chart:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Richard

racer11
08-02-2012, 06:48
BE = Bullseye

There are a number of reasons for moving to a slower powder than Bullseye. Among them is the ability to get high velocity without excessive pressure.

I don't load .40 S&W so take this for what it's worth - nothing... Look at slower powders like WSF or Unique. When you look at load information, you will see that these powders will deliver higher velocity with a max load than will fast powders like Bullseye.

There are a lot of folks on this forum that will recommend WSF for .40 S&W. I have tried it with 9mm and it seems to work pretty well.

Here's a burn rate chart:
http://www.hodgdon.com/burn-rate.html

Richard

Ok great! I will take a look at the data for that powder and get some at Cabelas this weekend and try it out (WSF). I seem to enjoy the .40 for shooting and I just may be doing a fair amount of it,,,,,especially since I can just step out my back door and stand on the patio.

SJ 40
08-02-2012, 08:40
I am not loading minor so what i'm looking for in the way of velocities is 950-990 fps using a 180 gr. bullet.
WSF is my powder of choice although I could live with Unique and you may also want to look at Alliants Power Pistol powder. SJ 40

SJ 40
08-02-2012, 08:41
Double tap. SJ 40

Steve Koski
08-02-2012, 10:38
1100 for a 165

Colorado4Wheel
08-02-2012, 11:22
You don't choose a powder charge by velocity. You work it up from the starting load to the mid-range or a little more. Looking at how the gun functions and how accurate it is. Velocity is not even known with out a chrono and ultimately only important to those that compete. Chasing a hypothetical velocity in a reloading manual by extrapolating data from the manual is just not going to be accurate.
If you want more velocity don't use BE in .40. Get a slower powder meant for that purpose. BE is a great powder for minor type loads. Not duplicating factory loads at all.

racer11
08-02-2012, 14:42
You don't choose a powder charge by velocity. You work it up from the starting load to the mid-range or a little more. Looking at how the gun functions and how accurate it is. Velocity is not even known with out a chrono and ultimately only important to those that compete. Chasing a hypothetical velocity in a reloading manual by extrapolating data from the manual is just not going to be accurate.
If you want more velocity don't use BE in .40. Get a slower powder meant for that purpose. BE is a great powder for minor type loads. Not duplicating factory loads at all.

What bucket list of powders would be a better selection,,,So far I see WSF, power pistol and 1100.

I just got a Midway flyer in the mail and I ordered a Chrono that they offer on sale. I have been thinking about getting one for some time. With out one it is like having a race car without Tachometer. just saying. I have about 20 rounds of BE loaded,,,,after they are shot I will change my powder to something on the bucket list, and my chrono will be here on monday and I can work from there. I also load 38 spl and 357 rifle and 44 mag rifle,,,, I need to dial them in as well.

Doing all this is what makes reloading enjoyable

Colorado4Wheel
08-02-2012, 15:02
I don't load .40 but powders in the WSF/Power Pistol/Unique range should treat you better.

WiskyT
08-02-2012, 20:26
My father used to load a plated 155 with 4.5 Bullseye. They ran 850 over the chrono and functioned his G22 and G35 just fine. It's not exactly what you're doing, but it does give you some idea of what's going on.

M24C
08-04-2012, 17:03
I don't load .40 but powders in the WSF/Power Pistol/Unique range should treat you better.

+ 1

BE if used would be for lower velocities.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dla
08-05-2012, 10:52
What would be a good accurate velocity for target/plinking with a .40 SW with a 165gr plated bullet using a G23 factory barrel.

So far I have loaded with 4.8 gr of Bullesye and I have not ventured past that. Lyman handbook shows that to be in the 700's FPS range.

65-70 mph.

:wavey:

racer11
08-05-2012, 13:31

I went to Cabelas yesterday for some Power pistol and they did not have any on the shelf. The place was busy on a Sat evening, so I did not attempt to find any customer help. I might ride my MC up there today and try again. I called the customer service from home and they said they have some but it could just be in the back and not stocked at the moment that I was there.

Thanks

bballer182
08-05-2012, 18:51
I am not loading minor so what i'm looking for in the way of velocities is 950-990 fps using a 180 gr. bullet.
WSF is my powder of choice although I could live with Unique and you may also want to look at Alliants Power Pistol powder. SJ 40

I'm with you. My G22 and 23 love 180s with WSF @ ~950fps

glockout
08-10-2012, 22:08
What I would do to determine what velocity to shoot target would be to pick a load that gives you the smallest standard deviation.

I have found that WSF works great for medium 40 sw. At lower velocities it gives a higher standard deviation particularly in the cold weather. Has anyone else noticed that?

For plinking and low recoil I would pick a target powder. Bulls Eye might be an acceptable choice, just don't push the bullet too hard as it will overpressure the cartridge. Many other powders will work too but you have to pick their sweet spot.

As long as the gun cycles reliably and the SD is low, I bet you will shoot good with it. With BE you might be pretty close at 700 fps.

I cast my own 180 grain lead bullets and load them to about 840fps charged with x.x grains of WSF. They are real mild to shoot.

Good luck