Obama authorizes secret support for Syrian rebels [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Obama authorizes secret support for Syrian rebels

Ruble Noon
08-01-2012, 20:23
http://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-obama-authorizes-secret-support-syrian-rebels-010014457.html

Sam Spade
08-01-2012, 20:33
Secret. Seeeee-ca-rit. Secret. secret.

No matter how hard I try, I just can't reconcile that word with this headline.

trifecta
08-01-2012, 20:37
Read that earlier and wondered at all the possible reasons to make it public. Something simple like somebody just can't keep their mouth shut, Obama people did to make him look good somehow, Republicans did it to make him look bad somehow or something else.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

janice6
08-01-2012, 20:38
Shushhhhhh. It's a secret. Only the voters are supposed to know.

Kablam
08-01-2012, 20:46
Not much of a secret is it? :whistling:

Stubudd
08-01-2012, 23:03

Try it with the headline in the link rather than ruble's slight typo.

And it certainly was a secret, from a lot of GT members anyway, as of a couple weeks ago. They hadn't an inkling what the US govt may have to do with the goings on in syria.

JBnTX
08-02-2012, 06:10
You can bet your last dollar and the shirt off your back that we are eyeball deep in the internal affairs of not only Syria, but every other Middle Eastern country.

Secret or not, we've got our fingers in everybody's pie.
And that's a good thing.

We need to straighten those s***hole countries out and make them capitalist democracies like us.

It's the cheapest and most effective way to fight the rising tide of Islamic extremism and the terrorism it spawns.

Cavalry Doc
08-02-2012, 06:13
Shushhhhhh. It's a secret. Only the voters are supposed to know.

:rofl::cool::faint:

I think you nailed it. Good things the Syrians can't read English and don't have Internet access. :upeyes:

walt cowan
08-02-2012, 06:20
an f-troop rerun.

TheExplorer
08-02-2012, 06:45
You can bet your last dollar and the shirt off your back that we are eyeball deep in the internal affairs of not only Syria, but every other Middle Eastern country.

And that's a good thing.

We need to straighten those s***hole countries out and make them capitalist democracies like us.

It's the cheapest and most effective way to fight the rising tide of Islamic extremism and the terrorism it spawns.

Well put.

JFrame
08-02-2012, 07:30

And that's a good thing.

That being the case, it would have been nice if Obama had also supported the popular uprising against the theocratic regime in Iran.

FLIPPER 348
08-02-2012, 07:44
Well put.

But it's a fantasy.

....and a waste of lives and money

evlbruce
08-02-2012, 07:51
That being the case, it would have been nice if Obama had also supported the popular uprising against the theocratic regime in Iran.

Nah, we send out guys in to fight along side the theocrats.*

*(As long as they are not in Iraqistan.)

JFrame
08-02-2012, 07:59
Nah, we send out guys in to fight along side the theocrats.*

*(As long as they are not in Iraqistan.)

Yup -- that would seem to be the case.

ModGlock17
08-02-2012, 08:28
It is a custom that every candidate would stand against a present war, then start new ones when they're in office.

Ringo S.
08-02-2012, 09:59

Really? The best way to make people hate you, is to try to make them live as you think they have to live

JFrame
08-02-2012, 11:28
Really? The best way to make people hate you, is to try to make them live as you think they have to live

On the other hand, I can't think of a time when the Muslim world didn't have hostile intentions on the West (or pretty much anyone else)...

JBnTX
08-02-2012, 12:33

I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.
Any change in those people's lives is a change for the good.

Don't listen to the "Blame America First" idiots.

America changes people's lives for the better when we instill a good healthy dose of democracy, freedom and capitalism in their country.

Stubudd
08-02-2012, 15:33

And that's a good thing.

Lol...

Ringo S.
08-02-2012, 22:55
Syria – Thank God for the Russians

http://www.christianvoice.org.uk/?p=3832

"Only Russian and Chinese resistance to Western stupidity is standing between Israel, Syria’s Alawite minority, the Christians in Syria – and a bloodbath.
The Christian church will go the same way as our brothers in Iraq where the American and British invasion and toppling of Saddam, despotic as he was, has led directly to systematic persecution of the Christian church (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/11/world/middleeast/exodus-from-north-signals-iraqi-christians-decline.html?pagewanted=all). In every country affected by the ‘Arab Spring’ the writing is on the wall for Christians. Similarly in Syria, if the Islamic fundamentalist rebels gain power, they will be gradually exterminated.
Stop Press: The BBC News at Ten reported on the growing persecution on the Syrian church on 31st July (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01lc60w/BBC_News_at_Ten_31_07_2012/), just four days after this post was filed. Hard to take what the Muslim Brotherhood man says at the end, mind!
The same fate will befall the Alawites, of whom President Assad is the most prominent figure, if his secular regime falls.
And if Syria’s stock of chemical and biological weapons falls into the hands of the Islamic rebels, there could be carnage both in Syria and in Israel. Sales of gas masks are already booming in the latter (http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/158314#.UBGoM6B9uuI). While it is true that Syria has funded and supplied Hezbollah with weapons used against Israel, a fundamentalist regime running Syria with control of President Assad’s arsenal – which he has never used – is a dangerous prospect indeed..."

Ringo S.
08-09-2012, 10:56
Turkey: Assad supplying arms to Turkish Kurd militants

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/09/syria-crisis-turkey-kurds-idUSL6E8J98YU20120809

Interesting, turks really thought, that they can harm Syria without payback?

Foxtrotx1
08-09-2012, 10:58
How is this different from every presidents "secret" conflict of the last 100 years?

Ringo S.
08-09-2012, 11:02
How is this different from every presidents "secret" conflict of the last 100 years?
Difference is, if you compare it to WWII era, Roosevelt decided to go to war on the side of Hitler, because "Stalin is no good". That's what Obama is doing.

Glock30Eric
08-09-2012, 11:14
1) Obama won the peace nobel few years ago (He created more wars than Bush).

2) Marjority of Americans elected Obama because they want a peace, not on-going wars with several countries.

3) We are hell broke and yet we are pouring our tax-payers' $$$ into those utter futile programs.

4) Americans aren't doing nothing with this headline news (Are we an apathy Americans?).

Conclusion: We are killing ourselves. JBnTX, those wars/conflicts aren't helping our country, it is making the problem worst. When we get into those conflicts, we are breeding more anti-americans.

AZ Cat
08-09-2012, 11:24
America changes people's lives for the better when we instill a good healthy dose of democracy, freedom and capitalism in their country.

This quote is hilarious. Nothing says "democracy and freedom" quite like forcing democracy and freedom on people... :banghead:

Sent from my DROID Pro using Tapatalk 2

JBnTX
08-09-2012, 11:46
This quote is hilarious. Nothing says "democracy and freedom" quite like forcing democracy and freedom on people...

Well, so far nobody has turned it down, and we really don't have to do much forcing because practically all the world's people want to live in a free democratic country.

Ringo S.
08-09-2012, 13:22
we really don't have to do much forcing because practically all the world's people want to live in a free democratic country.

"Road to hell paved with good intentions" (c)

countrygun
08-09-2012, 13:42
This quote is hilarious. Nothing says "democracy and freedom" quite like forcing democracy and freedom on people... :banghead:

Sure enough, that is why people all over the world are trying to escape from democracies and republics to seek sanctuary in theocracies, communist countries, and dictatorships.

How long have you been trapped as a 12 year-old?

sent from my funky Gateway laptop

jakebrake
08-09-2012, 14:54
and showing support for the opposition has worked out so well in egypt, libya, and iran....oh....wait....scratch that last one.

well, egypt didn't go so well....

and libya, well....

ok...nevermind

JFrame
08-09-2012, 18:29
and showing support for the opposition has worked out so well in egypt, libya, and iran....oh....wait....scratch that last one.

well, egypt didn't go so well....

and libya, well....

ok...nevermind

My gosh -- imagine what dire straits we'd be in if Obama had not been able to leverage Joe Biden's foreign policy expertise...

:whistling:

countrygun
08-09-2012, 20:34

I can't help but wonder if the is basically the same government that people think is hiding the whole 9/11 conspiracy, or, was the Bush Government so efficient that it is still hidden and the Obama administration is so incompetent that they can't keep this secret:dunno:

FLIPPER 348
08-09-2012, 22:58
I'm sorry, but you couldn't be more wrong.
Any change in those people's lives is a change for the good.

Don't listen to the "Blame America First" idiots.

dude, have you been to Afghanistan??

Foxtrotx1
08-10-2012, 05:52
:rofl::rofl::rofl:dude, have you been to Afghanistan??

To busy munching on his freedom fries.

FFR Spyder GT
08-10-2012, 13:17

Ike and JFK had Cuba.

LJB and Nixon had Cambodia and Laos.

Ford and Carter ?

Reagan had Central America ( Contras vs Sandinistas ) and the "War on Drugs". Oh, don't forget Afghanistan. These carried over to Big George.

Clinton ?

Lil' George, gee...... None of his wars were secret.

AZ Cat
08-10-2012, 13:41
Sure enough, that is why people all over the world are trying to escape from democracies and republics to seek sanctuary in theocracies, communist countries, and dictatorships.

How long have you been trapped as a 12 year-old?

sent from my funky Gateway laptop

I love democracy. So far other countries, largely in the middle east, haven't. Are you smart enough to see the irony in forcing freedom and democracy on others? Forcing your form of government on others is the very antithesis of freedom.

If you have any trouble with words like "irony" or "antithesis" I can post a link to a dictionary for you.

countrygun
08-10-2012, 17:17
I love democracy. So far other countries, largely in the middle east, haven't. Are you smart enough to see the irony in forcing freedom and democracy on others? Forcing your form of government on others is the very antithesis of freedom.

If you have any trouble with words like "irony" or "antithesis" I can post a link to a dictionary for you.

I gee eye waisted all them them yurs in kollege fur nuttin cuz eye ain't as edjumacated as y'll are.

Listen up. Most of those people who aren't "free" are having some form of government forced on them right now anyway.

It might as well be something in OUR best interest. Give them a taste a freedom and who knows what can happen. or they turn and we bomb them back to the stone age.

No idealism, concerning freedom. about it at all.

ColdSteelNail
08-10-2012, 17:48

Don't worry, that's coming.

Cavalry Doc
08-10-2012, 18:16
Don't worry, that's coming.

From Who? Barry passed once, no reason to believe he won't again.

JFrame
08-10-2012, 18:38
From Who? Barry passed once, no reason to believe he won't again.

That was my thought also. Or maybe Nail is referring to the NEXT administration...

Ringo S.
08-11-2012, 18:32
Another victim of syrian "rats". On video.
http://russian.irib.ir/news/blizhni-vastok/item/151732