spare parts and shtf [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : spare parts and shtf

bdcochran
08-02-2012, 17:22
Today, I joked with my older brother than retirement allowed more time for seeking out spare parts.

The 1.5 year old oven broiler had a problem. The manual drawing by Maytag was incomplete. Three trips to the appliance repair store and I may have fixed the broiler seal. The email help from East India online was no help at all.

Starting one month ago, I visited my official Stihl store for chainsaw parts. Multiple visits. No, the air filter replacement has not come in for 30 days. There was no ability to make a chain two weeks ago because the "tee" part was not in inventory. Imagine a chainsaw dealer not having the parts!

I gave up on the official dealer in the local community and sent an email to another official dealer nearby to learn if it is stocking parts.

A few years ago, I visited a brilliant gunsmith. He had all kinds of equipment, but very limited spare parts - and he worked on only a few models of firearms. He would order parts by mail and wait weeks for them to come in.

It was an American professor who purportedly taught the concept of "just in time inventorying" made famous in the Japanese auto industry. Now that model is used all over the world. When you combine that concept with big box hardware stores, you have a potential problem in getting spare parts.

I try to deal with the problem of spare parts (largely the cars) by researching the maintenance manuals and buying ahead. If I end up with parts at the end of the car's life cycle, I simply give them to my reliable auto mechanic and he gives me some money or free servicing.

This is just a reminder that if it is hard to obtain spare parts in a modern economy, it is going to be considerably more difficult when shtf.

TangoFoxtrot
08-03-2012, 04:17
Good points made!

RWBlue
08-03-2012, 15:15
This is just a reminder that if it is hard to obtain spare parts in a modern economy, it is going to be considerably more difficult when shtf.

I guess it depends on the SHTF.

If we get a good plague, lots of people die off, lots of spare stuff to go around to the survivors.

The problem with a brand new redesigned X is that there are no old ones to canabalize. After a few years the parts are everywhere. Give it a few more years and you can not find any parts.

Catshooter
08-03-2012, 16:30
Applies to firearms too, of course.

Was shooting with a buddy one day and he had a piece of brass let go in his G23. Blew the extractor clean off. We looked for it until our eyes bled, no go.

It finally dawned on him that his carry piece was down and what the hell was he gonna do now?

I just happened (ya sure) to have a G23 extractor, whadda you know, and back in business he was.

Come Monday he ordered a ton of spares.

Cat

bdcochran
08-04-2012, 18:13
When shtf, communications are not going to be working well to get spare parts. Last week, I wrote that I sent an email to another local dealer for chainsaw parts. Well, I never received an answer. I called, but I knew that I would have to go in. No, the second official dealer did not have the air filter. It did have the chain, however.

So take my examples and think about what other spare parts you might need when shtf and that will be unavailable for months, if not years.

Without digressing, one of the first items that became unavailable in the US in WW2 was a spare tire. Until I purchased a car that required a very expensive factory rim (and it is expensive even from the junkyard), I would keep a new spare tire around on a rim at home. 1/2 my flats would come about after the car had cooled down overnight. AAA could come out, pop on the new tire, avoid a tow and I could repair the flat at my leisure.