Tell me about your home generators [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your home generators

Sam Spade
08-02-2012, 17:33
What size, to run what gear? How many hours' fuel do you stock? What lessons have you learned with them?

All that stuff...TIA

Carry16
08-02-2012, 17:52
I've dealt with several power outages, the longest lasting 3 weeks. We are in SW Missouri. The 3 week loss followed an ice storm which took down most poles and lines in our rural area. My wife and I are retired and so don't have to deal with children or going to work each day - that makes it a lot easier to deal with catastrophes.

Slap me if I'm rambling. The first thing we learned was to get up with the sum and go to bed when it gets dark. Made for some very short days as this was winter.

I have a Honda EU6500is generator which I decided to buy after rebuilding our home from a tornado 5 years ago. It is a splendid, but very costly generator. Ideally I think a fellow should plan on having one large or medium-large generator and a smaller unit. I have been thinking about a Honda EU2000, but picked up a 900 watt at Harbor Freight for $89 a month ago. I have not used the HF unit for more than 15 minutes so far.

I stock a minimum of 40 gallons of gasoline in the barn which is rotated every fall. I have 3 vehicles usually topped off, but which cannot be siphoned I am told. If we had a widespread disaster I could be in trouble. I'm sure I burned around 3 gallons of gas per day during the 3 week outage. We have a shared well which I ran for an hour each day, and we have 2 refrigerators and 3 freezers which I kept going by running the generator for 30-40 minutes every few hours. The Honda is extrememly efficient in fuel consumption.

I could have bought a pad mounted whole-house generator for less than the Honda, but I need the portability to run the well which is about 500 feet from the house.

Jon_R
08-02-2012, 18:07
I have a portable 7.5 KW Gasoline Generator. Mine is basically for Hurricanes. So in essence our disasters are scheduled as you always have a few days notice it is coming. Because of that I don't keep any gas on hand. I have ~8 5 gallon gas cans empty. If a storm is heading this way I fill them up along with all the vehicles. I leave the generator inside off obviously and don't worry about it the few hours as the storm comes through. Once it passes if we don't have power I pull out the generator and adjust my circuit breakers.

Electrically I have a hardwired backfeed plug that takes a generator extension cord. I turn off the feed to the house from the power company. I turn off many breakers in my panel and bring the generator online and run what I want to run. I can't run my central AC but I can run my Mini Split AC in the finished garage and a large window AC in the Master Suite. I can run the hotwater heater, microwave, all the lights, fridge, having the paddle fans are nice. Can run the TV and such. I don't think I can run the oven but never have tried. Just use the grill when no AC. Sure I could run the stovetop (electric) but grill and propane works well and keeps the heat out of the house.

One thing you will want not on your generator is any Battery UPSs you have. Mine does not like them at all.

One thing I did get is a good size invertor and some deep cycle marine batteries. I use them when the house will be empty (off to work) just to run the fridge without having to run the generator at all. I can then charge the batteries with the generator.

Longest power outage for me was 10 days but in FL it happens in Aug / Sep so weather is ~100 degrees and 80% humidity. No AC just sucks IMO so I have a way to have it.

banger
08-02-2012, 19:12
I'll keep this short...

8,000 running, 12,000 peak (starting surge) generator.

50 gallons of gasoline in "Blitz" metal cans (pre-CARB).

I can run my whole house, freezer, two refrigerators lights and forced hot air heat in the winter.

Summer, I can't quite get the central air up and running, however, I can run all that and a 6k BTU window A/C unit I bought for emergencies.

So for, my longest single use has been three days.

One Final thought, I don't run it constantly. I used mine for 2-3 hours on (to allow fridges and freezer to come to temperatures), than off for approx. the same amount of time.

I have not done it yet, but I did recently buy a 2,500 watt unit to run the window air unit all night.

Using the large unit seemes like "over kill" and a waste of fuel.

NBT
08-02-2012, 19:35
I have a portable 7.5 KW Gasoline Generator. Mine is basically for Hurricanes.
Longest power outage for me was 10 days but in FL it happens in Aug / Sep so weather is ~100 degrees and 80% humidity. No AC just sucks IMO so I have a way to have it.

Pretty much same boat here...worst the Mrs had to deal with was 8 day's without power.
I was on deployment...thank God the neighbors are great. Our neighborhood really sticks together...so it's "good" if SHTF...everyone really has each others back.
We have a Troy Built 7550 13.5K gas generator...which can power our mini split A/C unit out back.
The Mrs made sure that she didn't have to worry about not having A/C when I put on the addition... so...
I ran a secondary system outlet's, and can run the mini split off of the Troy Built.
You can see the access box, and the split....hope I never need it.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/bspics022.jpg

Regardless...still has to be done in stages, because I only have 75 gallons of gas to power the generator....that's including the two vehicles...provided they are still in the driveway after.
Honestly...I wanted to put a bigger A/C system on the house and be done with it...but she did have a point about not having A/C with the heat index @ 105-110 degrees.
Now that I don't have to worry about deployment...were leaving.
IF I/we had to do it all over again, I would just get a Generac...since the house has natural gas. http://www.generac.com/Residential/Guardian/Products/Guardian_Series_17_kW/
It was crazy after hurricane Ivan, only "safe" way to the Key was by Helicopter. The bridge needed to be evaluated by structural engineer's from Bracken Engineering (awesome outfit, second to none IMHO).
After the birds took off we hear the faint grumble of generator(s) running from hotels, homes, and businesses that were built, to take the possibility of a Hurricane hitting them.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/oldpcpics274.jpg

This is what the back looked like before I got the "hammer out"....
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f106/nothnbutrouble/oldpcpics099.jpg

kalashluvr
08-02-2012, 19:43
Converted my 7000 watt Black Max with Honda engine over to propane. Figured that was easier to store than gasoline. Plan on running that on big appliances that need a lot of juice (hot water heater and stove mainly....it won't run my hvac). Hopefully will get a Honda 2000 watt generator (converted to natural gas) that has a built in inverter that I can run refrigerator, tv, DVD player, or other "sensitive" electronic devices with for longer periods of time. I have a natural gas line on my back porch that I also connect my grill to for cooking.

Haven't had to use the generator yet, so probably need to run a test soon.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Allfal
08-03-2012, 00:36
I have 3. I keep a troy bilt 5500 and a generac 5500. I bought the generac on sale at home depot for 369 shipped and could not pass it up. I also keep a little 900 watt harbor freight. I read the reviews, had a coupon, it cost $67, so I had to have it to. The troy has a higher starting watt than the generac. It is also significantly more quiet. The generac has a hour meter that is helpful for oil changes. The little harbor freight always starts and does the small stuff, as it should. It is a disposable gen. I keep 5, 5 gal. GI. cans for the troy or generac. I keep 1, 2 gal premix tank for the harbor freight. I keep all vehicles over 1/2 full, keep super siphons and a way of getting fuel from vehicle fi systems. I have never had an outage lasting much more than a day. It may be overkill for my needs but I can keep drinking my bourbon on ice, just like a civilized man, when the power goes out.

Allfal
08-03-2012, 01:12
To further answer your question, 5500 watt will not run my central ac. It will run window or portable units. I ran a 220 line to the garage and ran a 220 v cord to it to power the house. Square d panel, ran a cheap interlock system that ensures the main must be off for the 220 breaker to be on. I now have at nat gas water heater, so that is not an issue. In the summer I turn off the central ac breaker and leave everything else on in the panel. The biggest issue for me is wet ground. The basement has 2 sump pumps and in wet weather, they both run. Depending on what else is running sometimes the gen will bog down some, but they have not kicked out to this time. I only run 1 gen at a time. Small summer storms with short term outages, I just run the harbor freight to power the tv, cable box or the computer, if i run anything at all. with the larger gen sets, you can't turn everthing on at one time. You can leave the breakers on in the panel to most everything and turn switches, ect on and off when needed. Just keep aware of approx what you are trying to use. I have not tried to used the elec oven. I do use the smallest burner on the elec stove and it has not been an issue although it may be if you try to use it right away after you start your gen when the power has been out a bit. Hope this helped.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-03-2012, 07:42
We have two.. a 8000/12,000 Generac, and a 2000i honda. The generac will start and run our central A/C, run our water heater, keep the fridge cool and freezers froze, and keep the reef tank up and running.. but not all at the same time.

The 2000i will start the A/C on our camper, but NOTHING else electric in the camper can be used.. and that is only after a "hard start" capacitor change in the A/C.

We store enough fuel to run the big genny intermitently (6 hours or so a day) for 2 weeks. We do plan to switch it to propane in the future, and add a large(ish) tank for it. We heat with wood, so if it's winter we are golden..

kalashluvr
08-03-2012, 09:10
SFCSMITH, did you have to install a capacitor on your home A/C? How large is your AC unit, 2 ton, 4 Ton? Thanks for info.

ratf51
08-03-2012, 14:00
Tagged. I will be looking for a generator myself fairly soon. Thus, I am interested in this conversation.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-03-2012, 15:15
SFCSMITH, did you have to install a capacitor on your home A/C? How large is your AC unit, 2 ton, 4 Ton? Thanks for info.

We needed it for the single 2000i to start the rv A/C. The generac starts the house a/c without one. It's a heat pump, around 3.5 ton I think. 2100 sqft two story house, with a full basement, moderate climate. The nominal amps required for the cooling circuit is 24amps@240v.. the generac does about 31amps..

TexasGlockster
08-04-2012, 08:40
Converted my 7000 watt Black Max with Honda engine over to propane. Figured that was easier to store than gasoline. Plan on running that on big appliances that need a lot of juice (hot water heater and stove mainly....it won't run my hvac). Hopefully will get a Honda 2000 watt generator (converted to natural gas) that has a built in inverter that I can run refrigerator, tv, DVD player, or other "sensitive" electronic devices with for longer periods of time. I have a natural gas line on my back porch that I also connect my grill to for cooking.

Haven't had to use the generator yet, so probably need to run a test soon.

How long can you store the propane in its tank? Is the efficiency the same, i.e. the amount of space occupied by the tank provides the same amount of power provided by gasoline occupying the same amount of space?

JBL13
08-04-2012, 10:39
I bought a new Honda 2000i earlier this summer. I have it to run small appliances, and I have about 15 gallons of fuel stored (plus what's in my three vehicles, if I can extract it).

cowboy1964
08-04-2012, 13:46
+1 on tri-fuel generators. If there were a gasoline emergency/shortage/rationing you may still be able to scrounge up propane tanks or hook your genny up to your house natural gas. Save your gasoline for vehicles.

Akita
08-04-2012, 15:38
Sitting idle with a gummed up carb due to disuse.

See, you can learn something from Everyone.

kalashluvr
08-04-2012, 16:03
From what I understand and have researched , propane can be stored without going bad as long as the container holds it without developing leaks. I've read stories of 5, 10, up to 30 years. My containers are in a very controlled environment and all I'm looking for is something like a 5 year lifespan to make me happy.

Propane does not yield the same output from the generator as gasoline. I have some links I can post when I get back to my regular computer that shows the levels of output from a few different generators depending on model and fuel. It's around 10-15% less using propane and natural gas rather than gasoline. The tanks I have hold 4.1 gallons of propane and I would have to run my large one sparingly to charge my hot water heater mainly. Adding the second Honda 2000i, and it will run 2 days at half load off of one 20lb propane tank (4.1 gallons). I plan on using my natural gas line to fuel the Honda as long as the city's natural gas system holds up. If things got ugly I could just disconnect the propane line and use what gasoline stores I have.

The cool thing is that the propane isn't a liquid so the carb doesn't get gummed up and the generator starts right up every time no matter how long I go between cranks.

emt1581
08-04-2012, 18:50
Around here, the longest we've been without power was 2-3 days. That was back in 94 when the massive blizzards hit around here. As kids we loved it. We built tunnels in the snow from yard to yard. However, without my family's wood insert and good supply of food it would have been miserable.

So maintaining power is only a short term goal for me until we can transition over to doing without. That is, it's a way for us to control when we lose power. We have yet to need our larger generator.

It's a 5000watt Coleman with a Subaru engine. I usually keep 30+ gallons on hand give or take.

I also bought a HF small generator. That thing is awesome! Runs for hours and throws out enough power to power a water pump, small fridge/freezer, and a fan. Plus I can throw it in the back seat, trunk, etc. on a moments notice. It's 2- Stroke so no need to screw with oil changes and monthly runs to keep it in shape. Sips fuel to.

Again, I've geared our preps on the assumption we won't have electricity. I just hate to imagine not having AC because I sweat like a dog in a Chinese restaurant in the summer!

-Emt1581

kalashluvr
08-04-2012, 20:52
Here's a couple of links I find useful:

http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/ACLoad.html (http://www.generatorjoe.net/html/ACLoad.html)

This link above will show how many watts it takes to "start" your home AC unit...I would use this as a rule of thumb because I've found it's not exact. It's best to check your unit and do research to see what it takes to start it.

http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp (http://www.generatorsales.com/honda-generators.asp)

This link above is where I plan on purchasing my Honda 2000i that's ready to run on natural gas. This will allow me to run my refridgerator, a few fans, and a TV/DVD player all at once, or maybe a small window a/c unit or multiple fans at night. It would produce just enough power to run an oil heater if it's winter time. If the natural gas lines go down, I'm only good for a couple of days with propane or gas stores....

If anyone has some good links to share that shows generator info, etc, that would be great.

AK_Stick
08-04-2012, 21:00
7KW diesel, runs about 1/3 to 1/2 gph.

100ish gallons on hand.

would like a larger tank, but not in the financial situation to pull it off right now.

dudel
08-05-2012, 04:56
8kw gas. Wanted a dual/tri fuel, but they werent available in the configuration I wanted. Didn't want to store gas in cans, till I realized that with all vehicles combined, there's close to 100 gal of gas in full tanks. We keep the vehicles pretty well topped off normally, but would make a gas run on all of them if there was advance warning. 8 gal will run most of the day depending on load. Don't plan on running ac. Using fuel in the vehicles also keeps the gas fresh.

Also keep spare oil for 5 oil changes, as well as spare plugs and air filters. What good is all the fuel if you wreck the engine?

I keep spare propane tanks, so I'm considering having the parts for a gas to propane conversion on hand.

Now is the time to prep.

kirgi08
08-05-2012, 08:47
I've posted this before.We have a 18kw China diesel,It is run twice a year or as weather dictates.We heat with wood and cool with A/C as needed.We have a under earth floor and retire ta it as needed.

We also cook/water heat with gas.We have 1000gal tank.Our portable has a kit "now",however fuel diversity is kinda tricky here.1000gal tanks are the norm here,storing/portable tanks is a red flag.

Moonshiners use those tanks and up ta 100gal size,I honestly don't care what they do.However,I don't want their buys ta put me on a list.Folks I live in WNC and the above happens.'08.

Haldor
08-05-2012, 10:52
5500W Briggs & Stratton portable generator.

I keep the 8 gallon tank full with a dose of fuel stabilizer. I rotate the fuel in the generator tank at least once a year (use it to run the mower and snow blower). I have 4, 5 fallen gas cans that I fill when a power outage occurs.

My breaker panel is in the garage which is detached from the house. I position the generator in the back door of the garage and point an industrial fan at it to blow the heat and exhaust out of the garage. That way the generator is protected from the weather and it helps direct the noise out to the ravine behind my house.

Electrically, I use a dedicated backfed breaker with a generator interlock (to ensure the generator breaker and main utility breaker can't be on at the same time). This lets me have power throughout the house.

http://www.interlockkit.com/images/MEPanel033a.jpg

http://www.interlockkit.com/intro2.htm

I don't power the AC, electric range or dryer from the generator. I also unplug entertainment electronics (wide screen TV) while running from the generator since I don't want to tempt fate any more than I have to.

I picked a 5500W generator so that it would be big enough to run the furnace blower and sump pump in the winter. Fridge and lights are no issue at all. During an outage I typically run it for a few hours every morning and again when we get home from work. That way we have lights and the furnace or whole house fan if needed. I kill the generator at bedtime. Cooking is by grill and camp stove.

I have sleep apnea and require a CPAP, for that I have a large marine deep discharge battery. During the outage earlier this summer I picked up a trucker fan that runs off 12VDC. I was able to run the fan and the CPAP off the battery all night without any trouble. It was nice to have a fan while sleeping. I recharge the marine battery each day when the generator is running.

We have had 5 power outages that lasted over 24 hours since I bought this house in 2008. The generator has more than paid for itself just in the food that would have been spoiled without it.

I have seen a natural gas/propane conversion kit I can order for my generator. I am seriously considering installing one on my generator to eliminate the need to hunt for gas and also because it burns a lot cleaner (oil doesn't get dirty nearly as fast). I have never lost natural gas yet. The conversion still permits you to run from gasoline if you desire to do so.

http://www.propane-generators.com/

kalashluvr
08-05-2012, 13:54
8kw gas. Wanted a dual/tri fuel, but they werent available in the configuration I wanted. Didn't want to store gas in cans, till I realized that with all vehicles combined, there's close to 100 gal of gas in full tanks. We keep the vehicles pretty well topped off normally, but would make a gas run on all of them if there was advance warning. 8 gal will run most of the day depending on load. Don't plan on running ac. Using fuel in the vehicles also keeps the gas fresh.

Also keep spare oil for 5 oil changes, as well as spare plugs and air filters. What good is all the fuel if you wreck the engine?

I keep spare propane tanks, so I'm considering having the parts for a gas to propane conversion on hand.

Now is the time to prep.

Dudel, before I converted over to propane I thought I was going to use the fuel tanks on my automobiles as storage. Unless you have an older vehicle, it's going to be difficult to get the gasoline out of the tanks. My '76 F-100 allows me to get the fuel out by using a siphon, but my newer vehicles has a mechanism in the filler necks that will not allow this. You may have access on some of your vehicles to pull a fuel line off after the fuel pump so that you can turn the key in the vehicle and let it pump fuel out, or some other way. Just wanted to mention that because I had no idea I could not siphon from most newer vehicles. If you have a way to do this please let let me know so I can gain easier access to mine.

dudel
08-05-2012, 15:47
Dudel, before I converted over to propane I thought I was going to use the fuel tanks on my automobiles as storage. Unless you have an older vehicle, it's going to be difficult to get the gasoline out of the tanks. My '76 F-100 allows me to get the fuel out by using a siphon, but my newer vehicles has a mechanism in the filler necks that will not allow this. You may have access on some of your vehicles to pull a fuel line off after the fuel pump so that you can turn the key in the vehicle and let it pump fuel out, or some other way. Just wanted to mention that because I had no idea I could not siphon from most newer vehicles. If you have a way to do this please let let me know so I can gain easier access to mine.

I use a thin hose bulb siphon that I picked up at harbor freight. Slow, but I just need to fill a five gallon jug.

We do have 2011 Acura, so I do need to check with that one.

Thanks for the heads up.

Update. I was able to get gas out of all vehicles except the 2010 Sport Trac. Thin hose had to be fiddled in till I reached gas, but it worked. That's a relief. I'll figure something out on the Sport Trac.

Powermwt
08-05-2012, 16:16
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/13000_watt_generator_010-1200.jpg

I run either propane or gas with this unit... and I have a 500 gallon propane tank to run it.

This is the easiest way to run a well pump and air conditioning if you need it. Water is number one and my pressure system only lasts a day or two without the pump.

kirgi08
08-06-2012, 07:49
Nice genny.'08. :cool:

Raiden
08-15-2012, 03:46
At home, we have a Generic Chinese 4000-Watt 7 HP propane generator... Works fine for my modest needs, when the power goes down, or I need extra power for personal projects. Where I live, there's no good way to store more than a gallon of gasoline (besides in my car tank). For my work clients, I had them go with gasoline generators since we can store it and turn over quickly.

JuneyBooney
08-16-2012, 01:46
I have a 5500 watt Wheel House Briggs and Stratton portable that will run a small window ac and the fridge and some lights. I have been wanting to get a whole house generator for convenience and gas is expensive. During Isabel I was out for 11 days and it cost me hundreds of dollars when fuel was less than 2.00 a gallon. I can only imagine costs now at 3.50 a gallon.

kalashluvr
08-18-2012, 13:22
If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to disconnect a fuel line that is past the fuel pump and just turn the key a notch and let the fuel pump squirt fuel into a gas container. I will check out the Harbor Freight siphon so that I can get fuel out of vehicles when my propane runs out.

What other vehicles do you have that you were successful with?

I use a thin hose bulb siphon that I picked up at harbor freight. Slow, but I just need to fill a five gallon jug.

We do have 2011 Acura, so I do need to check with that one.

Thanks for the heads up.

Update. I was able to get gas out of all vehicles except the 2010 Sport Trac. Thin hose had to be fiddled in till I reached gas, but it worked. That's a relief. I'll figure something out on the Sport Trac.

Short Cut
08-21-2012, 10:12
..[..

malleable
08-22-2012, 08:59
tagged

Carry16
08-22-2012, 12:49
I'm really curious about methods to siphon gas from todays vehicles - do we have any shade tree mechanics on here that can shed some light on this? It would be great info to have during a disaster - I have three vehicles sitting around with full tanks most of the time.

LongGun1
08-22-2012, 18:38
I'm really curious about methods to siphon gas from todays vehicles - do we have any shade tree mechanics on here that can shed some light on this? It would be great info to have during a disaster - I have three vehicles sitting around with full tanks most of the time.

I keep these in my vehicles...

http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/

Carry16
08-22-2012, 18:54
Thanks LG1, but as I understand it there is a restrictor or something to prevent siphoning from fuel tanks of late model vehicles. I notice on the Simple Siphon page they show taking fuel from an airplane, and putting fuel into a car, but not taking from a car. I use and love the jiggle siphons, but I'm hoping to find someone who has figured out how to defeat the late model filler pipes to remove the liquid gold. I hear one way is to go under the vehicle and punch a hole in the plastic tank with an awl and catch the gas in a bucket - but I don't want to do that to MY vehicles.

kalashluvr
08-22-2012, 19:03
I keep these in my vehicles...

http://www.simplesiphon.com/products/

The problem with this is that any siphon tube cannot get more than a foot down the filler neck because there is a honeycomb or baffle type mechanism in the neck. Most vehicles, you will not be able to get to the tank so someone please let us know if there's a way that won't destroy the tank.

emt1581
08-22-2012, 20:04
I hear one way is to go under the vehicle and punch a hole in the plastic tank with an awl and catch the gas in a bucket - but I don't want to do that to MY vehicles.

I asked this a few years back and was told this is pretty much the only way.

-Emt1581

kirgi08
08-22-2012, 22:56
Get power ta the fuel pump and let it do the work."Granted" power may be scarce.'08.

kalashluvr
08-24-2012, 13:18
Get power ta the fuel pump and let it do the work."Granted" power may be scarce.'08.

You should use what power is left in the vehicle battery to pump the gasoline out before depleting it on other things

Powermwt
08-24-2012, 15:52
Letís just look at this issue from a fuel standpoint... gas, diesel or propane.

The power is out and if widespread gas or diesel will be hard to get so you will need to store it.

Propane can be stored indefinitely... largest portable cylinder hold 100#. You can store 200# at your residence.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/static/nfpa-58-storage-lp-gas-cylinders-139.html

Now 100# cylinder holds ~25 gallons.
For Propane 2 ea. 100# cylinders is $170/ea. ~$340.
For gas 10 ea. 5 gallon cans plastic $25/ea. or steel at $45/ea., $250 to $450.

The cost of propane varies depending on where you buy it... right now from $3 to almost $4.5/gallon. Gas and diesel vary also.

The reason I went to tri-fuel is you can use gas if available and I can store propane without worrying about how long it will store before it has to be changed out.
Oh, propane generators like large cylinders.

Carry16
08-30-2012, 16:23
Sheesh, they're ripping you guys off out there. I just topped off my 1,000 gallon tank today at $1.39 per gallon. :wow:

The cost of propane varies depending on where you buy it... right now from $3 to almost $4.5/gallon. Gas and diesel vary also.

mikeflys1
08-30-2012, 22:04
If you are mechanically inclined you might be able to disconnect a fuel line that is past the fuel pump and just turn the key a notch and let the fuel pump squirt fuel into a gas container. I will check out the Harbor Freight siphon so that I can get fuel out of vehicles when my propane runs out.

What other vehicles do you have that you were successful with?

This won't work unless you jumper the pump relay also. With the key on/engine off, the fuel pump will only run for a few seconds to prime the line before shutting off.

kalashluvr
08-31-2012, 19:19
This won't work unless you jumper the pump relay also. With the key on/engine off, the fuel pump will only run for a few seconds to prime the line before shutting off.

But it is possible then if you jump the connection? It's too complicated for me to try to rely on the gasoline in my vehicles that may or may not be there which is why I went propane.

LongGun1
09-01-2012, 09:14
What size, to run what gear?

2 each 1,800 rpm 8 KW diesel gensets (24 kw surge?)...each capable of running a modern household.

1 micro gas genset...portable for camping & such.

How many hours' fuel do you stock?

Several years for one household integrated with my inverter based backup power setups...

What lessons have you learned with them?

All that stuff...TIA

So far, all of my power outages since the late 1990's have not been of long enough duration to supplement with gensets..

..even though some outages have lasted days..

..my inverter-based battery backup systems have been all I have needed..

..and work so seamlessly in the background..

..normally I do not notice the grid power is down unless I look at the inverter control panel or pull up trace tools, etc on a computer.

I have a 8 KW continuous/20 KW surge Xantrex/Trace PP-SW4848/D in N Louisiana..

http://www.solarcellsales.com/products/PP-SW4048-D.cfm

..and 20 KW continuous/44 KW surge Exeltech MX in N Arkansas..

http://www.exeltech.com/mxproducts.htm

While gensets dominate the discussions on backup power..

..inverter based systems (or genset integrated inverter based systems) should be considered 1st...(IMO)

..as the benefits they provide..

..such as stealthy quiet operation, no interruption of power, 24/7 automatic operation, automatic genset operation & integration, economy of operating expenses & fuel resources for long term outages (Major SHTF/TEOTWAWKI), safety (no worry of carbon monoxide poisoning while sleeping), at risk system components inside protected against theft, weather & vandalism, integration with renewable energy such as micro-wind/micro-hydro/Photo-voltaic, syncing with a genset to support very large loads, redundancy (separating the 120/240 vac sync cable allows either SW4048 inverter to power 120 vac loads & the Exeltech MX has N+1 redundant hot-swappable 1 KW modules..if one goes out simply pull it while system is online & insert another), etc.....etc

In short...

My diesel gensets basically collect dust.. :whistling:

..while the inverter setups are the solid backbone of my backup power preps. :thumbsup:

kirgi08
09-01-2012, 09:48
I enjoy my diesel gennys.'08. :miff: :tongueout:

LongGun1
09-01-2012, 17:35
Thanks LG1, but as I understand it there is a restrictor or something to prevent siphoning from fuel tanks of late model vehicles. I notice on the Simple Siphon page they show taking fuel from an airplane, and putting fuel into a car, but not taking from a car. I use and love the jiggle siphons, but I'm hoping to find someone who has figured out how to defeat the late model filler pipes to remove the liquid gold. I hear one way is to go under the vehicle and punch a hole in the plastic tank with an awl and catch the gas in a bucket - but I don't want to do that to MY vehicles.

I have not used it to siphon from late model vehicles..

..so far it has been motorcycles, tractors, gensets, fuel tanks, etc

If you have access under the hood....or to the tank..

..you might could pull a fuel line & apply power to the electric fuel pump.

LongGun1
09-01-2012, 17:42
I enjoy my diesel gennys.'08. :miff: :tongueout:

But imagine having stealthy, quiet power production 24/7...seamlessly & automatically..

..but only having to use your genset once a day for a couple of hours..

..or even once every few days. :tongueout:

It is like having your own power company! :supergrin:

cowboy1964
09-01-2012, 23:45
Sheesh, they're ripping you guys off out there. I just topped off my 1,000 gallon tank today at $1.39 per gallon. :wow:

Where do you live that propane is 1.39?

http://www.mass.gov/eea/energy-utilities-clean-tech/home-auto-fuel-price-info/propane-price-surveys.html

kirgi08
09-02-2012, 07:43
But imagine having stealthy, quiet power production 24/7...seamlessly & automatically..

..but only having to use your genset once a day for a couple of hours..

..or even once every few days. :tongueout:

It is like having your own power company! :supergrin:

You could be 10yds from my diesel running a load and not hear it.'08. :cool:

Carry16
09-02-2012, 11:53
SW Missouri

Where do you live that propane is 1.39?

http://www.mass.gov/eea/energy-utilities-clean-tech/home-auto-fuel-price-info/propane-price-surveys.html

mikeflys1
09-02-2012, 12:11
But it is possible then if you jump the connection? It's too complicated for me to try to rely on the gasoline in my vehicles that may or may not be there which is why I went propane.

Yea jumpering the relay and pulling a line definitely works. I've done it several times myself.

Carry16
09-02-2012, 15:24
Where is this relay typically located?

mikeflys1
09-02-2012, 16:48
Where is this relay typically located?

Depends on the vehicle but its typically in the fuse box either under the dash or in the engine bay. The owner's guide will have a diagram showing exactly where/which one it is.

ETA:

Once you do locate it, a typical FP relay is setup like this:

http://www.auto-nomics.com/images/fuelpump_relay_wiring.gif

All you need to do on this type is remove the relay and put the jumper between terminals 30 and 87 on the relay holder. For ones that look different, a good rule of thumb is the two terminals that need to be jumped will be slightly bigger than the others.

It doesn't hurt to do a quick google search for your specific vehicle if you're not sure but about the worst damage you can do here if its connected wrong is blowing a fuse.

LongGun1
09-03-2012, 00:54
You could be 10yds from my diesel running a load and not hear it.'08. :cool:

It is good that it is sound insulated..

..but still no comparison to the stealth of an inverter based system.

YMMV

kirgi08
09-03-2012, 07:41
:miff:

James Dean
11-16-2012, 21:55
Thanks to Sandy I ran my Generator for 5 days. Its a Honda EU6500is. Very good on fuel. I was lucky. Last year I saw this video and put in an interlock kit to feed power to my electrical panel. This video is a good start. Interlock vs. Transfer switch - YouTube

Andy123
11-17-2012, 19:24
I share a 5500 Troybilt with my brother. We took the stock muffler off and welded togther a black pipe adapter to go to a cheap car muffler. Hugh difference in noise. You can barely hear it run.

volsbear
11-19-2012, 12:03
All I have is a Coleman 2400. But my house is small.

fnfalguy
11-24-2012, 21:27
For great values on generators and to research different generator types try the following link:

http://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com

I got an 8,000 / 10,000 W Briggs & Stratton model from this web site and I am very pleased with my purchase! The videos and customer comments on the web site above were fantastic.

I used an interlock instead of a disconnect on my electrical panel. This solution was cheaper than going the interlock route and gives me more flexibility regarding what circuits to energize when I run the house on my generator.

JimFS
11-24-2012, 21:51
I getting lost in the comments. But I have natural gas heating so I have a Gardian (Generac) 10kW Natural gas/propane unit. On Natural Gas it is 9kW and natural gas is a veryreliable source of energy. Or you can run them on propane at 10 kW. Automatic transfer switch a part of the package and very trouble free for 5 years so far. Not using gasoline or diesel fuel means low maintenance. Very reliable unit that just takes some simple yearly maintenance (or 100 hrs). I travel sometimes and this unit takes care of itself. If your going to do it, and spouse might be home alone, then get one that is permanently installed and has automatic switching. Get one big enough to have electronic monitoring of important engine functions to protect your investment.