dry firing a Buckmark [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : dry firing a Buckmark

WI Hunter
08-02-2012, 18:56
So I just picked up a new Buckmark handgun to go along with the Buckmark rifle that I have and love. I was wondering how bad it is to dry fire a 22? Just wanna get some trigger practice with it, but don't wanna hurt it. Thanks in advance.

Peter

Lew-G17
08-02-2012, 20:57
A .22 is a rim fire weapon, meaning that the rim of the cartridge is struck by the firing pin when you pull the trigger. Dry firing a rim fire causes the firing pin to strike the hardened breach face and can cause the pin to break or deform.

In short, don't dry fire a rim fire weapon without striker caps if you can find them.

LTR
08-04-2012, 17:52
Results of dryfiring a Buckmark
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/GLG20/buckmark.jpg

While generally true that rimfires should not be dryfired, some weapons have a pin that restricts the firing pin from striking the breach face. i.e. 10/22, MKI, MKII, MKIII pistols

Lose the pin tho, and your breach face will look like the above picture.

Jason D
08-04-2012, 18:40
No one makes a decent snap cap for the .22 LR. There are plenty of action proving rounds. Some made of metal, some made of plastic. I have used them all.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=22LR+DUMMIES&Category_Code=DR

Those are by far the best I have found. Though not an actual snap cap, they can take hits and be filed when they get out of shape.

silverfox
08-04-2012, 18:52
No one makes a decent snap cap for the .22 LR. There are plenty of action proving rounds. Some made of metal, some made of plastic. I have used them all.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RSC&Product_Code=22LR+DUMMIES&Category_Code=DR

Those are by far the best I have found. Though not an actual snap cap, they can take hits and be filed when they get out of shape.

How about These....

http://casualshooter.blogspot.ca/2012/04/22-snap-caps-almost-free.html

alank2
08-04-2012, 19:22
Hi,

No, don't dry fire Buck Mark. Everyone I've seen will peen the barrel (and usually ones I see that are new at the gun store are already peened!).

I used to have one and I would insert a cut up credit card between the firing pin and the barrel and "decock" it that way just so the springs didn't stay compressed.

Good luck,

Alan

GSSF17
08-05-2012, 18:59
I have used #6 screw anchors for years to relax the springs in my rimfire weapons........

That said, I bought a Browning Buckmark 16 years ago (same one- only one- I have today) that is the most reliable and accurate hangun I own, and it was a display model. Bluing worn off one side at the barrel tip and other 'display marks' and I bet it was dry fired 1000 times. No kidding.

I have replaced the recoil buffer twice, and done the Heggis flip on the trigger springs, and that is it. Over 15 thousand rounds of amazing performance. All the dry firing has not phased it a bit.

I am not telling you to dry fire a rimfire weapon, keep in mind. I am, however, telling you that it did not affect my Buckmark whatsoever.

NailShooter
08-10-2012, 15:28
So I just picked up a new Buckmark handgun to go along with the Buckmark rifle that I have and love. I was wondering how bad it is to dry fire a 22? Just wanna get some trigger practice with it, but don't wanna hurt it....
Peter

Not sure why you'd want to dry fire a 22 and risk damage to the barrel face. For as cheap as bulk 22LR ammo is, why wouldn't you just take it out back or to the range and just shoot it?

Nail

redman797
08-10-2012, 21:35
its probably safer for the pistol if you used the buckmark as a hammer rather than dry firing it.

Njanear
08-11-2012, 09:36
I shoot Steel Plate matches with a bunch of fellows that have Buckmarks and haven't heard of any real issues after lots of dry-firing. :dunno:

G19freak
08-11-2012, 12:09
Only Rugers are safe to dry fire----every thing else is a crap shoot

When I had a Buckmark--I contacted Browning and they said not to dry fire----part of the reason I no longer own one.

bruzer
09-06-2012, 09:26
Thanks for the information on the .22 snap caps. Old Bucky will appreciate it.
Mike

sourdough44
09-07-2012, 17:17
I use the 22 snap caps or an empty 22 case.

Trigger Finger
09-08-2012, 15:45
Is it relatively safe to use an empty 22 case?

Bflying
09-08-2012, 16:34
I've used empty cases for years. It takes a little more effort, but just keep a baggie of empties, and rotate after each hammer drop, then toss when all beat up.

Trigger Finger
09-08-2012, 16:51
Thanks, I have been using empty cases for years and throw them away after about 10 or 12 dry fires! .