my dad informed me he wants his CCL [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : my dad informed me he wants his CCL

mj9mm
08-02-2012, 23:07
the other day my dad told me he signed up for a concealed carry class:wow:. i told him i was glad to hear that, but, he is 78 years old, and, personally, i'm not sure what to think about it yet. since we live in the "un-progressive state of wisconsin", i believe he is mostly interested in obtaining the piece of paper that says he has the right to carry and truly exercise his 2nd amendment rights as deemed in the constitution. our state has been slow to catch up to the rest of the nation concerning concealed carry, but since the tea party pride has taken a strong hold of our conservative population here, many have been eager to join in. he is no stranger to firearms, and has hunted all of his life, but the only handgun he has owned and fired for the last 50 years is a h&r sportsmen 22. i have taken him to the range with me several times in the past few years, but after 5 or 6 rounds of 9mm he has chosen to stick with the 22. i'm thinking if he is serious about carrying we might look at some medium size 380's. the next few weeks may be interesting. anyone else out there have a similar experience:cool:? a family that carries together, has one less thing to hide...

Stevekozak
08-03-2012, 05:11
Good on your Dad!! 78 or 108, never to late to take this step. I am sure the man has his own mind and will pick what he wants to carry. Should that be a medium sized 380, the Sig 232 is a wonderful gun.

eracer
08-03-2012, 05:14
Good for Dad!

Citroen
08-03-2012, 08:47
MJ - you pose an interesting situation but are you concerned about his age?

I am 75 - carry everywhere it is legal; visit the range 1 or 2 times a week; still work full time: am an NRA instructor and, lately, have taught quite a number of "older people". Depending on how I am dressed, I carry a .45 ACP or 9mm handgun and shoot it reasonably well.

Older citizens are often viewed as "easy victims" and, to a large degree that is true. We are not as strong or as fast as we once were; our vision and our hearing are slipping and we often carry cash with us.

I encourage my "older" friends who are interested in defending their family to obtain instruction; try several different guns and practice on a regular basis. With that, anybody who will learn, can do O.K.

John
Charlotte, NC

mj9mm
08-03-2012, 10:48
well yes, i am somewhat concerned about his age. we in wisconsin have only had the ability for cc for the past year. it is new to our culture here. for his whole life he has lived in a part of the country that didn't allow concealed carry and pretty much said average citizens couldn't be trusted to defend themselves with a firearm in public. a positive for him is my mother is fine with him carrying and has supported me and others who carry as well. it is a heavy responsibility and we support each other and take this very seriously. i wish we had been allowed to start this practice years ago, but this is where we are. thanks for the input

C5A
08-03-2012, 11:45
I am 82 and my edc is a Glock 22, 40 cal. I train with a group that comes to the range I have set up at my ranch and we have a front sight member that runs us through the paces he learned at FS. I am not looking for trouble but want to be prepared if/when it comes. Attitude not age is the determining factor.

Patchman
08-03-2012, 13:47
Question is, is he at his age comfortable with semi-autos? If he is, a medium frame .380 is good.

If he prefers revolvers, how about a Ruger SP101 in .327 Mag. That chambering will take the .327 Mag., .32 Mag., .32 Long and .32 short. Pretty much the entire spectrum of recoils for those who might be somewhat recoil sensitive.

ZO6Vettever
08-05-2012, 11:19
Good for him.

jeanderson
08-05-2012, 12:09
I took my CCW class yesterday, with 17 other students. I'm 56 and I was on the younger side of the class! I'm pretty sure at least 2 or 3 were in their 70s.

Older people are often assaulted and robbed because they are perceived to be easy targets by the bad guys. I don't blame your Dad one bit for wanting his CCW.

RYT 2BER
08-05-2012, 21:00
Good for him.

+1

No matter his age... He's entitled to protection too

Chup
08-12-2012, 14:41
Good for him. He should carry what he wants. I'm 60. I carry Two 357s every day all day. When the 357 in a Snub gets to be too much I will either get a heavier gun to handle it or a lighter load for the Snubs.:2gun:

Bruce M
08-12-2012, 16:11
Good for him! And even if he prefers to shoot a .22 that does not mean he can't adequately use something larger. While it would be quite toward the low end of my choice, more than a few people have used a .22 to protect themselves also.

kda
08-12-2012, 19:26
As you age someday, you WILL be aware that you are becoming an easier target for all the reasons mentioned above. You may well find that you reach a point where you would just as soon go down defending yourself or someone you love than cowering in a corner, rolled up in a ball begging some "cockroach" for mercy as he has his way with you or members of your family.

Be happy for your dad that he wants to retain his independence and dignity by working out ways to not become "just another victim".

I shoot every week with one guy in his mid-70s and another in his early 80s. The fellow in his 80s even out shoots me more than occasionally. Over the years, both have developed extraordinary common sense and judgment. And both have made the effort to learn a lot more about "when you can shoot" here in AZ than most younger folks.

fuzzy03cls
08-13-2012, 07:53
My dad(62) called me this weekend & told me he passed his class for a TN license. He was surprised he did so well & hasn't shot his 1911 for years.

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 20:25
the other day my dad told me he signed up for a concealed carry class:wow:. i told him i was glad to hear that, but, he is 78 years old, and, personally, i'm not sure what to think about it yet. since we live in the "un-progressive state of wisconsin", i believe he is mostly interested in obtaining the piece of paper that says he has the right to carry and truly exercise his 2nd amendment rights as deemed in the constitution. our state has been slow to catch up to the rest of the nation concerning concealed carry, but since the tea party pride has taken a strong hold of our conservative population here, many have been eager to join in. he is no stranger to firearms, and has hunted all of his life, but the only handgun he has owned and fired for the last 50 years is a h&r sportsmen 22. i have taken him to the range with me several times in the past few years, but after 5 or 6 rounds of 9mm he has chosen to stick with the 22. i'm thinking if he is serious about carrying we might look at some medium size 380's. the next few weeks may be interesting. anyone else out there have a similar experience:cool:? a family that carries together, has one less thing to hide...

Hard to go wrong with a good 38 special snubbie. Of course a good 357 snubbie is even better.

Chris Brines
08-13-2012, 20:29
Good for him! And even if he prefers to shoot a .22 that does not mean he can't adequately use something larger. While it would be quite toward the low end of my choice, more than a few people have used a .22 to protect themselves also.

Yeah I wouldn't wanna carry a 22 either....but man if you think about it...you aim that thing in the right spot and just start poppin' off rounds like there's no tomorrow...you can inflict some SERIOUS damage.

I still say 357/38 snubbies are a type of gun that can literally work for anyone, in nearly any CCW situation, but I carry a Glock 26 and am more than confident with that, don't think I'll be carrying anything else for a good while.

BuzznRose
08-13-2012, 20:46
Buy him a Ruger SR-22 or M&P 22, if that is what he wants. Say what you want, but NO ONE wants to be shot by an air soft gun, let alone a .22 pistol. And if it's what your Pop is comfortable with, it's better than a .380 or 9MM he won't use.

Plus, most older folks are slow to panic, and a couple well placed shots to the face will shut down the bad guys right now!

Load up quality .22 solids and he'll be good to go.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Paul53
08-13-2012, 21:07
Good for dad! I can attest that those who appear weak due to illness or age get the sympathy of law abiding citizens, but they are just easy targets in the eyes of dirtbags.

I have a TX CCL because I intend to die of natural causes. If I were to allow myself to fall prey to a dirtbag, can you understand what a disappointment that would be to me?

Now be a good boy and help your dad. Maybe he and I can share a few beers and tell some lies some day.