Colt Umarex 1911 .22lr thoughts? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Colt Umarex 1911 .22lr thoughts?

officialaccount
08-03-2012, 00:04
I have one gun from colt/umarex 1911 .22lr, I have the m4 .22lr its been great haven't had any problems with it. But I figured I would ask around before I got dropping 400 on a new gun. Anyone know anything about this gun?

bac1023
08-03-2012, 04:17
If I was going to buy a 22lr 1911 look-a-like, I'd go with the Sig/GSG.

That said, if I was going to spend $400 on a new rimfire, it would be a Ruger or Browning, not one of these 1911s.

brianfede
08-03-2012, 04:50
If I was going to buy a 22lr 1911 look-a-like, I'd go with the Sig/GSG.

That said, if I was going to spend $400 on a new rimfire, it would be a Ruger or Browning, not one of these 1911s.

I agree. I have shot the Browning and the Sig 1911 style .22lr's. I really wanted to like them but I personally didn't like feel, didn't find them very accurate and definitely not worth the money. They felt a bit cheap and wasn't a fan of the smaller sized Browning or the way the Sig had to be field stripped. I suppose if you could find a used Sig for around the $200 range it might be worth a look. My preference is the Ruger 22/45, though the Browning Buckmark is a close second. Just my $.02.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

sheepdog
08-03-2012, 09:07
I just ran about 260 or so rounds, six different types through one. It choked on a cheap Federal Champion lead 40 grain, ran without fail on two different CCI plated high velocity (can't recall bullet weight), and ran on the CCI "Quiet" 40 grain lead. Also ran on the Remington bulk pack and a plated Winchester 40 grain. Zero malfunctions except with the Federal, 2-3 FTF/FTE per mag with the Federal.
The front sight has no serrations and was reflective/tough on middle age eyes in the indoor range lighting. That would have to go if I had one. CAUTION-the rear sight is aluminum or something else soft and will bend/deform at the notch if you accidentally put another gun on top of it in the range bag. Replacements are like $22 from Umarex, guess how I know this...also, had to set it on the far side of the dovetail to get it to center hits on this gun at least.
Trigger was not terrible, but that is the best I can say. I didn't weigh it. The gun could not match my Ruger MKII on the target, but I did not expect it to, different animal. Seems like spare mags were much higher than for similar guns. I did not feel the urge to buy this one from the owner, though I would like to have a 1911 style .22.

fnfalman
08-03-2012, 11:15
One of the dudes I know bought one, but I didn't get the chance to shoot it. For some reasons it felt heavy and ungainly in my hands.

El_Ron1
08-04-2012, 01:06
thoughts?

http://tomcatcompanyairsoftguns.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/CG35020_2800.30343122.jpg

Shark1007
08-05-2012, 15:37
Just came back from the range from firing one, very impressed. The weight feels very 1911'ish and I generally enjoyed shooting the gun.

I like it a lot.

Kentguy
08-09-2012, 05:37
officalaccount,

I purchased one of these in early March 2012: Colt (Umerax) 1911 Government model "Gold Cup" .22LR w/5" barrel.

In the last 6 months I have run close to 1,000 rounds of Federal "Champion" 36g (the bulk pack stuff), and 200 of each of these: CCI "Velocitor" 40g and CCI "Stinger" 32g.

With the CCI's I had no failures to shoot or eject and with the Federal's I would guess... perhaps a dozen or so? Still not that many for as much of this stuff as I have shot. Just like any gun on the market that you can buy, It is possible that others have had issues with this gun, I have not.

Mine (with the ammo I have mentioned) works as advertized - Ammo chambers fine, trigger is smooth, firing pin is sharp, and it is dead on - if your hands are steady. It is a well built gun, now as for longevity... Iíll have to get back to you on that one.

I love mine and would recommend this pistol to anyone who is looking to get into the .22 LR caliber.

Alan