LnL AP primer punch solution [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : LnL AP primer punch solution

PsychoKnight
08-03-2012, 00:40
Well it finally happened to me. After about 18k rounds, the primer punch won't seat the primer deep enough. I remember all the hassles Stevie went through on his new AP, and the mods that he tried. I was concerned for a moment, then had a thought.

Can't I just JB weld a spent primer to the bottom of the punch? It workie!

Should of done that from the start, then I wouldn't of needed anything to prevent the bottom of the punch from gouging into the press frame.

The punch now rises plenty high.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b143/PsychoKnight1/DSC07241.jpg

Yes, that's a small primer for the 45gap. I'm one of those small primer big bore users y'all love to hate.

Boxerglocker
08-03-2012, 07:33
If it worked for 18K rounds before, wouldn't it be better to figure out what wore out or broke to make it not seat primers anymore? Rather than just band aid it?

Colorado4Wheel
08-03-2012, 09:19
My primer punch spring would randomly bottom out and cause random high primers with a solution like that. I would cut the spring a little. Or get a 650. :)

fredj338
08-03-2012, 09:38
My primer punch spring would randomly bottom out and cause random high primers with a solution like that. I would cut the spring a little. Or get a 650. :)
My buddy has loaded maybe 30k rds on his LNL. Being a machinist, he has modified it extenively including making a new primer punch. I keep telling him to start marketing all these fixes to other LNL users. After loading on my 650, he's now eyeballing that.:supergrin:

PsychoKnight
08-03-2012, 10:38
If it worked for 18K rounds before, wouldn't it be better to figure out what wore out or broke to make it not seat primers anymore? Rather than just band aid it?

The conical point on the bottom of the punch wore down.

I think the conical point's purpuse was for it to intentionally dig into the painted frame and create a cratered seat so that the punch is positioned consistently each time it is rammed, even if it meant that it might be misaligned, each and everytime. And even if it meant that by digging a crater into the frame, the punch would seat the primer with less depth with every stroke as the punch continued to dig deeper into the press frame. I guess at some point the crater won't get any deeper and the punch action will eventually become consistent. The problem with that is by the time the crater is that big, the punch will no longer seat the primer fully. So the result will be consistently high primers. Hornaday should have spec'd the punch with a regular flat end, instead of a conical point - I don't see the benefit of doing that, just a bunch of needless problems.

I can replace the punch with a new one, but that just gets me back to the original factory-new problem of punch cratering. Previously I hot glued a dime to the press under the punch to prevent damage to the frame, and also to keep the punch at maximum travel. Attaching a spent primer to the bottom of the primer punch might be a band aid approach, but less hokey a solution than a dorkey anti-cratering plate under the punch.

Actually it looks and works fine - I wouldn't call it a band aid, I'd call it a permanent and professional looking upgrade!

LnL AP a fixer-upper?
As far as a myriad of custom fixes needed for the AP, you got me re-evaluating if I'm in a frog-in-a-pot-of-slowly-rising-temperature scenario. That was my LoadMaster days - I felt really good after spending countless hours to nail a fix, then another issue would arise, every few months, for about 12 years. Self-destructive addiction.

Its true, every 4-5 years I have to deal with something on the AP, but most of my work on it has been convenience upgrades rather than solving problems. I've only had three "problems:" case bounce ricochet during drop down, 45gap brass gets jammed between the plate and bowl of the case feeder, and the primer punching wearing down. All of these problems were fixed in 5-10 minutes, and all should be permanent.

These issues don't include the 1st gen loaded round non-ejector, linkage fatigue leading to inconsistent flaring from the measure die, powder measure self-removal, sloppy 45 shellplate. Hornady has engineered updates to their production to counter all of these problems, so I can't hold it against them. Any current purchasers should be honky dory. I've got great respect for the Dillon line up, yet despite past issues which are no longer issues, I still would not give up the unique advantages of the AP characteristics for the reliability and durability of the Dillons.

PsychoKnight
08-03-2012, 11:15
Maybe I should ask;

If you have a puchased an AP in last 12 months or so, does the primer punch still have a conical point on the bottom which digs into the press frame?

If they don't make it like that anymore, I'll request a warranty replacement.