GT Braintrust: Need car advice (ATTN Devildog and Rabbi) [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : GT Braintrust: Need car advice (ATTN Devildog and Rabbi)

Cooper
08-03-2012, 09:06
Subject should read "Need car / financial / moral advice."

My 2003 Subaru Forester (147k miles) has a coolant leak from a head gasket, a separate oil leak, a cracked windshield, and tires that are so worn they make the car thump driving down the road. Estimated repairs: $2-$3k.

I had just come up with a six-month plan to save enough cash to buy a new car outright (with the Suby as trade) when this SHTF. Now I'm in a fix.

As I see it, I have the following options:

1. Fix windshield and tires, clean it up, sell it to an individual with full disclosure about the issues.
2. Fix windshield and tires, clean it up, trade it in at a dealership which may or may not specifically ask about the issues.
3. Set it on fire and roll it down a hill.

I'm not so sure #2 is moral. It seems to me that in a dealership transaction, it is understood that both parties are trying to screw each other. I certainly wouldn't lie, but should I offer the information?

Thanks for the advice.

skorper
08-03-2012, 09:14
You need those two guys to figure this out?

Cooper
08-03-2012, 09:16

Yes. DevilDog is the evil mad scientist, Rabbi is the moral compass, and both have experience in the industry. Between the two, surely there will be some pearls of wisdom.

SC Tiger
08-03-2012, 09:47

My 2003 Subaru Forester (147k miles) has a coolant leak from a head gasket, a separate oil leak, a cracked windshield, and tires that are so worn they make the car thump driving down the road. Estimated repairs: $2-$3k.

I had just come up with a six-month plan to save enough cash to buy a new car outright (with the Suby as trade) when this SHTF. Now I'm in a fix.

1. Fix windshield and tires, clean it up, sell it to an individual with full disclosure about the issues.
2. Fix windshield and tires, clean it up, trade it in at a dealership which may or may not specifically ask about the issues.

I'm not so sure #2 is moral. It seems to me that in a dealership transaction, it is understood that both parties are trying to screw each other. I certainly wouldn't lie, but should I offer the information?

Thanks for the advice.

Which issue was the SHTF moment for you?

Not either of the experts you mention but I'll see if I can break it down and help as I am in a similar fix:

1) Are you leaking coolant into the oil, into the combustion chamber, or on the ground? In the combustion chamber is rather bad ("oh boy", in the oil is worse (oh ####), and on the ground is almost a non-issue (oh well), at least for 6 months. This assumes the leak isn't so bad that you can't keep up with it. If it is a leak onto the ground you could conceivably get it fixed and drive the car for a while longer. As a general rule fluids leaving an engine aren't nearly as bad as them staying in the engine and going places they aren't supposed to.

2) How much oil do you lose between changes? Can you keep up with it? For the cost of fixing an oil leak you can buy a whole lot of oil. Subaru's are also supposedly pretty easy to work on.

3) How much are the tires going to be? My truck runs about $600/set but it has 16 inch wheels and it's a truck (and not one of those jacked up ridiculous looking things either). 15 inch should be a good bit cheaper. "Mom and Pop" tire shops tend to have better prices as well.

4) Does your insurance cover a new windshield? In SC it is mandatory for all insurance carriers, regardless of coverage.

5) What is the condition of the rest of the car? Is it in good shape mechanically or trashed?

Either way, if the buyer knows about the engine issues, as far as they are concerned your engine is lunched. Therefore, if you sell it I would not spend money on tires unless you can get a good set of used ones or some cheap new ones.

Assuming you do not fix and keep it, I would trade it in and not mention the issues unless asked. However, go ahead and figure that they will find them if they examine the car. Most likely they will auction the car anyway.

Hauptmann6
08-03-2012, 09:52
Get windshield fixed, put used tires on it, and get an oil change/coolant top off on the way to the dealership. I have a couple of dealerships in mind that you could take it to.

CitizenOfDreams
08-03-2012, 10:07
I am not a moral compass or a science genius, but I wouldn't spend money on fixing your old car. You will unlikely get your investment back when (or if) you sell it.

I would count the money I have saved so far, set $1000 aside and buy the best car I can with the rest of the money. Then use the $1000 to get it in shape.

Rinspeed
08-03-2012, 10:36

:rofl::rofl:

TalkToTheGlock
08-03-2012, 10:42
Set it on fire and roll it down a hill.

A few years ago when I first started undergrad school I wish I would have done that instead of dumping 5k into my expedition.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2012, 10:46
You have to ask? I believe you already know what the honest answer is.

MtBaldy
08-03-2012, 11:23
Me? I'd fix nothing and take it to a dealership and offer it to them as trade-in with full disclosure. You are likely not going to recover any money you spend on it. If you want to do a private sale I'd still sell it as is where is with full disclosure.

I did something similar once but wanted a cash sale. I had an old 1971 Ford station wagon that I had bought to haul stuff since my other vehicles were an MGB and a motorcycle. Around mid 1980s it became clear that Old Blue had to go. I drove it to a dealership and got a salesman to come look at it. It wouldn't start when he asked to hear it run. I said, "Come on, it can't be too bad you saw me drive it in here". He chuckled and gave me $500.00. I was happy I didn't have to pay someone to haul it off.

airmotive
08-03-2012, 11:29
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f165/03-07-forester-116873/

:wavey:

SC Tiger
08-03-2012, 11:31
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f165/03-07-forester-116873/

:wavey:

One guy on there mentioned he had "all the major services done" recently on one and listed "Head Gaskets." Is that a something on a Subaru that has to be replaced on regular intervals?

airmotive
08-03-2012, 11:34
I have no idea. I've never owned a Subaru.

My default solution to most problems is to google a forum and see what the folks who really care about a particular topic have to say about it.

Actually, that's how I ended up on GT. I had just bought my first Glock and was having trouble taking it apart.

fnfalman
08-03-2012, 11:55
Get rid of the lesbo vehicle now and get yourself a Vespa.

SC Tiger
08-03-2012, 11:59

I actually saw a Subaru at lunch with an NRA and US Army sticker on it. Doesn't prove anything but I always thought of them as hippie-wagons until then.

Personally I'd take an Outback at the right price.

larry_minn
08-03-2012, 12:00

Thanks for the advice.

Also not folks you spacificly asked for. #3 is a crime (esp if you mean to collect insurance) We all know you would NOT talk about a criminal act (violation of TOS) :0
As said window is normally a insurance fix. (and I have basic ins) Tires. Go to junk yard and ask if they have any decent tires on rims. I got full set of good tread for my car for $65 These are mounted/balanced/read to mount (had them even throw in couple extra lug nuts)
As said WHERE the fluids are going matters. Some "products" actually work. If exterior leak I would try them.

Bill Keith
08-03-2012, 12:01

No, burn it, and post the video on YouTube:faint:

08-03-2012, 12:28
Having worked at dealership(s) my advice is to keep your mouth shut. They know what they are doing. They are going to go over your trade and test drive it before they lowball you.

They'll probably wholesale it out anyway so I wouldn't worry. If you want to spend money, its up to you, but I'd buy used tires and let them deal about everything else.

PrincessCelica
08-03-2012, 12:32
I feel for you. I just spent $$$$ on a new fuel filter, new timing belt, new tires on my '01 Focus. Then yesterday, the cylinder head slipped and fell into the engine. We're paying someone to take the engine apart to see if all it will need is a new cylinder head or if the engine is grenaded.

Fiance called one place to see how much they'd give for it in current condition... $125. :crying:

I've owned this car for 9 years--it's my first car. My family bought it for me just before my senior year of High School. I'm heartbroken. A) Because I never really wanted to get rid of this car and B) now that I have no choice, I don't have money to replace it with anything that wouldn't have just as many issues...

Detectorist
08-03-2012, 12:47
Then yesterday, the cylinder head slipped and fell into the engine.

Huh? is that really possible? Sounds terrible, though.

:wow:

John Rambo
08-03-2012, 12:53
If you can turn a bolt, you can replace a head gasket. It really ain't all that hard. Fix it and keep driving.

As for the oil leak, how severe? Whats leaking? What you've listed in no way strikes me as a big problem. I wouldn't dump a car that just needed tires, a windshield, a headgasket, and some misc oil seal.

knightkrawler00
08-03-2012, 12:55

No, that's not possible. Most likely translation is that the timing belt jumped causing piston to valve contact and part of the valve may have broken off.

PrincessCelica
08-03-2012, 12:56

Excuse me, I mis-typed. I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to cars. I meant cylinder WALL.

jtmac
08-03-2012, 13:07
A gasket is no big deal.

An oil leak may or may not be a big deal depending on how much it's leaking and how much of a problem it is to fix.

A cracked windshield is not a big deal.

Tires are a wear part. Expect to replace them. You're going to have to do this with any car. If your tires are as bad as you say they are, it is dangerous to yourself and to others on the road to keep driving on them as they are.

If you have a plan to buy a new car outright in six months, you can certainly get this one repaired and have it last until then.

I'M Glockamolie
08-03-2012, 13:07
That car will get wholesaled if you trade it, so don't put ANY money into it. No tires, nothing. You won't get 1/2 your money back out of any spent. Toss 'em the keys and let them figure it out. It's either that or full disclosure to a private party, IMHO. I was in the car biz on both the sales and service side for longer than I care to admit about a decade ago, and it wasn't terribly long. :supergrin:

EDIT: All of the above is if you're getting rid of it, not fixing it. If I owned it, I'd get really cozy with the FSM (Factory Service Manual) and some Subaru forum people, and get the knowledge to do it myself. But I have a garage, tools, and a fair amount of car mechanical knowledge and skill. If I had to pay to get it done, it's a toss-up to fix or trade/sell, depending on other personal factors. I hate car payments, so I'd be paying to fix it and moving on.

skinny99
08-03-2012, 13:22
I ain't Rabbi or Devildog but I have just as much car business experience. Fix the windshield if insurance will do it. Dealership would have to pay out of pocket. Used tires are a great idea. Then top it off with oil and keep your mouth shut. If they are good at what do they will be fairly conservative on the value of an older,high-mile Subaru.

It is buyer beware on both sides of the ball. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. They can't get too beat up on that POS.

DanaT
08-03-2012, 13:44
Go look at a 911. They have the same style of engine and I am sure you will be happier with it.

faawrenchbndr
08-03-2012, 17:16
A gasket is no big deal.

FAIL!

A head gasket is a BIG deal!

Cooper
08-03-2012, 18:34
Thanks for all the advice.

I am torn, because of course it would be cheaper to fix it as opposed to buying a new car. But the mechanic said "Time to look at a new car," and it's in his best interest to fix it. So who knows?

For the record, I don't have tools, knowledge, or aptitude for car repair.

SC Tiger
08-06-2012, 08:41

I am torn, because of course it would be cheaper to fix it as opposed to buying a new car. But the mechanic said "Time to look at a new car," and it's in his best interest to fix it. So who knows?

In that case I would fix the windshield and look to trade on something. You could try some "stop leak" for the head gasket but that stuff doesn't always work and only buys time. Tires maybe if you can get cheap used ones.

If you do get brave enough to try fixing it I don't think the head gasket on a Subaru is as bad as some other cars. The cylinder heads are only about a foot long anyway. However, being as both the heads and the block are aluminum they would probably both have to be machined.

I have a good friend who fixes Subaru's routinely. He buys old, ratted-out ones and fixes them. Usually they are drivable when he gets them but he has put engines in both of the ones he has (actually the engine in one went into the other one after the engine blew in one and the transmission went in the other - bear in mind they both had 200K+ miles when he got them).

M&P15T
08-06-2012, 08:45

So, ditch the lesbo and go for the hipster homo?

M&P15T
08-06-2012, 08:56
FAIL!

A head gasket is a BIG deal!

It's normally not. But if the head is warped, then it could be a larger cost. People replace head gaskets in their garage all the time. If you know what you're doing, it's not hard or a big deal. It just costs money to get it changed. Checking on a Subaru enthusiast web site, becoming a member and seeking information and advice for the mechanical issues, should be the OP's first step.

The OP has to figure out the cost of replacing the head gasket, finding and fixing the oil leak, and then replacing the tires and windshield, perhaps an alignment. See how much that would be with info and advice from a Subaru enthusiast website.

Then, the OP needs to figure out what it would cost him to get into a new/used car, including all applicable taxes, title, lisencing fees, and increased insurance costs.

I can tell you, if the Subby the OP is currently driving is in otherwise good condition and has less than 200k on it, it would probably be best to keep it and get it running properly. Getting another cheap used car will have it's own issues that will cost money. Getting a new/slightly used car with a loan will cost money in payments and insurance that the OP probably doesn't pay right now.

However, based on the OP's posts here, I doubt the vehicle has been otherwise well maintained.....things like oil changes, tire rotations & balances, alignments, keeping it clean and maintained inside & out, etc.

So it may be best for the OP to find something else.

Dukeboy01
08-06-2012, 09:14
Fix nothing and trade it. Answer them honestly if they ask you about a specific problem, otherwise keep your mouth shut. Too bad you didn't have this problem back when "Cash for Clunkers" was going on.

Bushflyr
08-06-2012, 13:00
Buy a junkyard motor, slap it in there, and drive it for another 10 years. Back on the road for <$1k.

Or just top up the coolant and oil as needed. As long as it's just a little drip and there's no coolant in the oil or vice versa it's no big deal. You didn't say where the oil leak was from, but typically it comes out of the valve cover gasket and drips onto the exhaust. Easy fix, costs about $50 for parts and takes an hour per side or less.

That's if it were my car. If it were my wife's car I'd trade it in on a Fit in about 3 seconds flat. The dealer is just going to auction it so they're not going to ask or care about any mechanical issues.

M&P15T
08-06-2012, 13:10
Buy a junkyard motor, slap it in there, and drive it for another 10 years. Back on the road for <$1k.

Or just top up the coolant and oil as needed. As long as it's just a little drip and there's no coolant in the oil or vice versa it's no big deal. You didn't say where the oil leak was from, but typically it comes out of the valve cover gasket and drips onto the exhaust. Easy fix, costs about $50 for parts and takes an hour per side or less.

That's if it were my car. If it were my wife's car I'd trade it in on a Fit in about 3 seconds flat. The dealer is just going to auction it so they're not going to ask or care about any mechanical issues.

I'm wondering if BarsLeak could fix the head-gasket issue?

The windshield would be easy and pretty cheap, as would the tires & alignment. Then you just would have the oil leak to deal with. Those are bad, mmkay?

SC Tiger
08-06-2012, 13:14
I'm wondering if BarsLeak could fix the head-gasket issue?

The windshield would be easy and pretty cheap, as would the tires & alignment. Then you just would have the oil leak to deal with. Those are bad, mmkay?

Probably would get 6 months to a year.

My truck has a small crack in the head. No water in the oil that we can find yet. I'm thinking about using Bars leak on it to just stretch the life of the engine a little longer.

Of all the problems a car can have, oil leaks are so far down the list as to be insignificant, so long as you can keep up with it.

Magnus2131
08-06-2012, 13:22
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N0d2Wz619LA/TD_Nvqz0xrI/AAAAAAAAApw/c8gThxLf8wE/s1600/flcl-cartoon-image-character-31000.jpg

Magnus2131
08-06-2012, 13:24
You guys are not part of the GT Braintrust: :whistling:

Bushflyr
08-06-2012, 13:28
Then you just would have the oil leak to deal with. Those are bad, mmkay?

Wow, no need to be snotty. :upeyes: Subaru valve cover gaskets leak all the time. Same as many other flat fours. The oil pools up in the VC and takes a while to drain back. Hence some drips out of the VC. They also tend to leak around the oil filter and a couple other places when they get old. No big deal. As long as you don't run out of oil before you run out of gas it's not a crisis.

SC Tiger
08-06-2012, 13:35
Wow, no need to be snotty. :upeyes: Subaru valve cover gaskets leak all the time. Same as many other flat fours. The oil pools up in the VC and takes a while to drain back. Hence some drips out of the VC. They also tend to leak around the oil filter and a couple other places when they get old. No big deal. As long as you don't run out of oil before you run out of gas it's not a crisis.

Sounds like you would know - do the head gaskets on a Subaru flat 4 have to be changed at any regular intervals or just when they blow?

Bushflyr
08-06-2012, 13:56
Sounds like you would know - do the head gaskets on a Subaru flat 4 have to be changed at any regular intervals or just when they blow?

There's no service interval for head gaskets. When they go bad you replace them. A little research on NASIOC indicates that they tend to go bad between 60 an 160k. So, pretty big range. So, like I previously posted, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, pi$$ing fluids, or performance issues, replace them. Otherwise I'd just deal till I got bored or annoyed enough to pull the motor.

Cooper
08-06-2012, 16:18
Thanks for all the input folks.

I have no ability to change the motor. I recognize that one of my weakness is that I'm ignorant about auto mechanics. Someday I'd like to change that, but until I can afford the facilities it's a non-priority. So, in my situation, it's definitely time for a "new" car. Those trials and tribulations will I'm sure be the source of a whole nother thread.

M&P15T
08-06-2012, 18:24

I re-reading my post, and still can't find anything "snotty" about it.

You feelin' alright today?

Bushflyr
08-06-2012, 19:29
mmkay?

Usually denotes condescension.

SC Tiger
08-06-2012, 19:53
There's no service interval for head gaskets. When they go bad you replace them. A little research on NASIOC indicates that they tend to go bad between 60 an 160k. So, pretty big range. So, like I previously posted, coolant in oil, oil in coolant, pi$$ing fluids, or performance issues, replace them. Otherwise I'd just deal till I got bored or annoyed enough to pull the motor.

For a modern engine 160 k miles before a head gasket failure is not very long.

Sent from my Kindle Fire

Walk Soft
08-06-2012, 20:32

I take it you've never watched Southpark.The guy on the show who says this is a dummy.He was just trying to be funny.mmmkay.

NEOH212
08-06-2012, 20:37
Considering the mileage and mechanical problems, and who knows what other problems will be coming along shortly.....

I'd get a new car and be done with it. If you can get anything out of the old one as is, I'd do it. I wouldn't put a dime more into it.

Cooper
08-07-2012, 07:12
For a modern engine 160 k miles before a head gasket failure is not very long.

This was my impression, too. This is the third Subaru in the family to do this at around 150k. It's been a great car, and I've driven the hell out of it, but I don't know if they stand up to their reputation for super reliability. I've been told there's a certain vintage that has these problems, and all the Subarus that I personally was around that had the problem did indeed fall between those years.

On the other hand, we sold my wife's old Legacy had 225k when we sold it, and it was still chugging along.

M&P15T
08-07-2012, 07:48

I take it you've never watched Southpark.The guy on the show who says this is a dummy.He was just trying to be funny.mmmkay.

Correct.

certifiedfunds
08-07-2012, 07:56
#3 is a crime

NOT if it happens accidentally while you're deep frying a turkey in the trunk.

gtrcivic
08-07-2012, 08:29
go to your nearest walmart on the weekend and put a for sale sign on it. Ask $500 more for than what you want. I've sold a couple vehicles that way. 97 toy 4runner with 202k miles on it, with lots of dings, scratches on the body for $2500. Had a rear diff grease leak that is known to leak through to the drum brakes and cause problems. Tires /brakes were good for several more months, but passed July inspection.

I'M Glockamolie
08-07-2012, 08:40
Put it on craigslist with full disclosure. There are lots of guys like me out there that will pick up a car with some mechanical problems. If the car looks good, the parts are cheap enough, and my labor is free. A good honest ad, with good pictures, will bring out some buyers. If you park it with a "for sale" sign in a parking lot around here, it will be towed before you can get home after parking it.

SC Tiger
08-07-2012, 09:45
This was my impression, too. This is the third Subaru in the family to do this at around 150k. It's been a great car, and I've driven the hell out of it, but I don't know if they stand up to their reputation for super reliability. I've been told there's a certain vintage that has these problems, and all the Subarus that I personally was around that had the problem did indeed fall between those years.

On the other hand, we sold my wife's old Legacy had 225k when we sold it, and it was still chugging along.

Looks like I'll have to settle for an Evo instead of a WRX. Oh well. :rofl:

Bushflyr
08-07-2012, 10:01
Correct.

Ah, my apologies then.

Looks like I'll have to settle for an Evo instead of a WRX. Oh well. :rofl:

Why think small? Go straight to the Nissan GTR. :supergrin:

DanaT
08-07-2012, 10:28

Why think so small? Go straight for the Veyron!! Skip the base model and go for the 16.4 Grand Sport with carbon fiber.

Wash-ar15
08-07-2012, 10:39
that cars Head gasket can be done with the engine in the car. If its just leaking and never overheats and still runs well, I would just add whatever is needed and drive it to the ground. A new head gasket, barring no complications should run you 600-800 dollars installed anyways. You need to shop around for windsheilds. can get a new one installed in my area for about $150. Tires? buy the cheapest you can fund or scan craigslist to find any good deals

My 99 outback has 207k and still runs well. Gets 23mpg mixed and on a recent highway trip got 31 mpg.

Subs will last 300k easily

SC Tiger
08-07-2012, 10:43
Why think so small? Go straight for the Veyron!! Skip the base model and go for the 16.4 Grand Sport with carbon fiber.

I would, but how do you fit a baby seat in it?

Goldendog Redux
08-07-2012, 10:44
Not sure if the thread has run its course cause I skipped most of it. But don't fix the windshield if you are gonna trade it in. I traded my Nissan Murano in last year. On the way to the dealer, a rock flew up and broke it. They never said a word about it.

Private party sale, yeah, fix it.

MF

Bushflyr
08-07-2012, 10:45

Cause I have 3 dogs and I like corners.

SC Tiger
08-07-2012, 10:48
Ah, my apologies then.

Seriously though the top-level Evo is supposed to be absolutely insanely fast. I don't think it's available here though.

.264 magnum
08-07-2012, 11:08

No tools and no aptitude seals it. If you fix what you know about you may find more problems.

Scattershooting:
If a mechanic that you trust tells you it's time to in - it's time to move on. My guess is he's worried that fixing the apparent might prove not enough or financially it's a no go or both.
As others have noted fix the windshield and the push the thing to a dealership, keep your dignity and integity by disclosing all, and trade it in. As others have mentioned guys at dealerships may be annoying but they are not dumb.

Best of luck.

I'M Glockamolie
08-07-2012, 11:13
As others have noted fix the windshield and the push the thing to a dealership...

Why fix it? It won't change the wholesale number at all. It's just money down the drain.

.264 magnum
08-07-2012, 11:13
Not sure if the thread has run its course cause I skipped most of it. But don't fix the windshield if you are gonna trade it in. I traded my Nissan Murano in last year. On the way to the dealer, a rock flew up and broke it. They never said a word about it.

Private party sale, yeah, fix it.

MF

That does not mean they didn't note and deduct for the windshield.

Goldendog Redux
08-07-2012, 11:27

I suppose that could have been the case but I don't suppose many people put new tires on a car only to take it to a dealer for trade. Let them fix it. The consumer never get top dollar anyway.

I'M Glockamolie
08-07-2012, 11:35

Trust me, when it's going wholesale, little things like that don't matter. If it's average, it's average. A cracked windshield (provided you can see out of it), is average. The used car guy will probably eyeball it from the comfort of his chair. They're going to call up a 3rd party guy (who does the wholesale thing), give a brief rundown of it, and that guy will put a sight-unseen $ amount on it on the phone. The end.

M&P15T
08-07-2012, 12:09

The roof. Get baby goggles.

And a helmet.

.264 magnum
08-07-2012, 12:12
Why fix it? It won't change the wholesale number at all. It's just money down the drain.

If that's true I would agree but that does not make sense to me.

.264 magnum
08-07-2012, 12:17
Trust me, when it's going wholesale, little things like that don't matter. If it's average, it's average. A cracked windshield (provided you can see out of it), is average. The used car guy will probably eyeball it from the comfort of his chair. They're going to call up a 3rd party guy (who does the wholesale thing), give a brief rundown of it, and that guy will put a sight-unseen $ amount on it on the phone. The end.

It may be show but around here trades are looked over and driven before an offer even beaters.

.264 magnum
08-07-2012, 12:20
We have a poster here who buys for a monster dealership I'll PM him for clarification.

DanaT
08-07-2012, 14:52

You can put a baby seat in the front seat. What is the issue?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Cooper
11-09-2012, 21:17
I got rid of the Subaru tonight. Wanted to post a resolution to this thread.

I borrowed another car for months while I decided what to do. Most of those months, I decide to keep borrowing the other car. :) When that option ran out, I got mine back from the mechanic, who had put some stop-leak something or other in the engine and said it was fixed "for awhile."

"Awhile" apparently meant 50 miles. The car overheated and my wife had to take half a day off work to come pick me up. It was leaking oil and coolant at a rate of one drop per second.

Talked to a friend of mine who works for a dealership, who said to take it to the Subaru dealership because they'd give me the most for it. NADA estimate was $4000-$4500.

I didn't fix the windshield or the tires. I did take it through a carwash. The car made it across town and was just edging into the red when I pulled into the lot. There was water running down the pavement from a car being washed, and I parked on the water so the leaks wouldn't be obvious.

They said they'd give me $3k. I said thanks and took it across the street to another dealership that had a used Honda Civic I'd seen online. They offered me $3400. Seeing as how I needed a ride home anyway, I took it. :supergrin:

Thanks for all the help, GTers!