Can one country have it all? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can one country have it all?

CitizenOfDreams
08-03-2012, 21:53
DanaT's posts about Germany got me thinking... Is it possible to adopt good traits of other countries without inheriting the bad ones?

Or is it impossible in principle to have cheap gasoline without inconsiderate drivers, good beer without legal drinking age of 21, right to carry without restriction on suppressors, diverse culture without pressing 1 for English?

Phaze5ive
08-03-2012, 22:25
I don't get it. Good laws are good laws and bad people are bad people. Bad people violate good laws, but that doesn't make those laws bad. Why not adopt the good ones?

We have some extremely prudish laws in this country that makes no sense other than to satisfy some outdated Christian values. These laws need to be removed. There's no logical reason why I can buy alcohol on any given day except Sundays.

NorthCarolinaLiberty
08-03-2012, 22:50
Can one country have it all?

No. There are bastards everywhere.

:supergrin:

JBnTX
08-04-2012, 05:21
DanaT's posts about Germany got me thinking... Is it possible to adopt good traits of other countries without inheriting the bad ones?

Or is it impossible in principle to have cheap gasoline without inconsiderate drivers, good beer without legal drinking age of 21, right to carry without restriction on suppressors, diverse culture without pressing 1 for English?

You're mixing apples and oranges.

The examples you mentioned have zero correlation with each other. One does not cause the other.

No country should adopt the ANY traits from other countries, but they should develop their own national traits and national pride.

You have to take the bad with the good.
You can't have it just one way.

The Machinist
08-04-2012, 06:16
No country should adopt the ANY traits from other countries, but they should develop their own national traits and national pride.
So America should be proud of crappy roads, low speed limits, and terrible drivers?

JBnTX
08-04-2012, 08:34
So America should be proud of crappy roads, low speed limits, and terrible drivers?

"There You Go Again!" ~ Ronald Reagan - YouTube

No, America should be proud that we're a driving force for what's good and right in this world.

America is a shining beacon of liberty and freedom for all the world to imitate and admire.

We feed and cloth more than half the world's population.

We protect the other half from the desires of tinpot dictators
and oppressive thugs of the world.

Right now the USA is the best thing going and is far ahead of whoever's in second place.

We don't need to adopt the traits of other countries because we set the world standard.

It's the other countries that should be adopting our traits and standards.

And that's what America should be proud of!

CitizenOfDreams
08-04-2012, 09:24
We don't need to adopt the traits of other countries because we set the world standard.

It's the other countries that should be adopting our traits and standards.

I have no doubt that America is the best country overall. Yet - please don't get mad at me - there are some things that some countries do better than us.

Why shouldn't we learn to do those things better? What is wrong with being fast and courteous on the highway? Is it un-American?

CitizenOfDreams
08-04-2012, 09:44
The examples you mentioned have zero correlation with each other. One does not cause the other.

So nothing would prevent a country from adopting the good traits and ignoring the bad ones? Then why does it rarely happen in reality? Every time two cultures meet, they parrot each other's vices.

A smart man learns from his mistakes. A wise man learns from mstakes of others.

You have to take the bad with the good.

Why?

pugman
08-04-2012, 09:51
We feed and cloth more than half the world's population.

We protect the other half from the desires of tinpot dictators
and oppressive thugs of the world.

For now.

We do this by amassing an incredible amount of debt....and wait for it...

We do it at the expense of our own population since people go to bed hungry in the U.S every day

Based on the Fed's 2010 budget if we continued spending what we do and had a balanced budget taxes would have to increase tax revenues by 70%. The worse thing...based on actual numbers for the 2010 year the fed collected less than it budgeted for and spent more

To the OP's question: its something which looks good on paper and is impossible in practice.

We have good beer...the drinking age has nothing to do with that.

Our problem is simply we have good traits...but when we see people exhibt the wrong ones we blame it on everything under the sun except the individual.

One of the first personality reports about the Colorado shooter was he played a lot of video games? Geez, I thought that stupid arguement died in the 80's.

A friend of a friend killed someone drunk driving - a man with a wife and three small children. What did he get? 5 years for vehicular manslaughter. He has forever changed the lives of that woman and her children. He was a dead broke loser with no insurance so the family isn't getting squat less what he might have had in life insurance. What should have happened?

He becomes their slave for life. He works a job, gets paid and every nickel except for what it cost to guard, feed and shelter him goes to the family. And that shelter has no AC, no cable, group showers with cold water and food with enough carbs to keep him going the next day. He wants out?

There is a .42 solution to that problem.

A man rapes a woman (or hell another man)...let him sit in jail for a few months, let the victim recover and let the victim decide punishment not the legal (notice I didn't say justice) system

You start that trend see how many people exhibit the bad traits you are talking about.

JBnTX
08-04-2012, 11:08
there are some things that some countries do better than us.

Name one?

CitizenOfDreams
08-04-2012, 11:39
Name one?

I did earlier in the thread - fast and courteous driving on German Autobahns. Why would it be wrong to adopt it?

pugman
08-04-2012, 19:38
Name one?

Education...and that is a big one.

Ironically if you google it, the U.S has just been ranked #1 in the world for its Higher Education System which is why so many foreign students come here.

Unfortunately, U.S students rarely make the grade.

Recent studies show even though the U.S is starting to catch up we generally don't rank in the top ten countries when it comes to reading (14th), science (17th) or math (25th)

My wife became a teacher this year and her math class students are simply unbelievable. Half her class is sharp, the other half couldn't multiple .27 times .34 by hand....

this same half couldn't make basic conversions when given the formula of say converting pounds to kilograms.

Countries whose students are generally considered "better": South Korea, Finland, Canada, New Zealand, Japan, Netherlands, Belgium, Norway, Poland, and Iceland.

countrygun
08-04-2012, 19:57
I did earlier in the thread - fast and courteous driving on German Autobahns. Why would it be wrong to adopt it?

It seems to me that the reason "fast" might work is because of the "courteous" part.

So, exactly how do we get people to adopt "courtesy"?????

There are plenty of Countries with lousy rude drivers too. It seems to be a social issue, and since social engineering ias generally a liberal specialty it makes me nervous I will have to say "America is fine on that level"

Brucev
08-05-2012, 05:17
Re: OP.... The Rolling Stones had it right, "You can't always have what you want."

hogship
08-05-2012, 05:42
Education...and that is a big one.

You've got to be kidding.

Our educational system is one of the biggest problems we have!

ooc

CitizenOfDreams
08-05-2012, 10:41
It seems to be a social issue, and since social engineering ias generally a liberal specialty it makes me nervous I will have to say "America is fine on that level"

Absolute majority of Americans will hold the door for the person walking behind them. Were they social engineered to do so?

countrygun
08-05-2012, 11:20
Absolute majority of Americans will hold the door for the person walking behind them. Were they social engineered to do so?

To an extent, yes. nobody is born with a "hold the door" gene.

But again, how would you propose to change diving behavior withput social engineering or Politness Police?

08-05-2012, 12:51

It's minority that causes the problems.
It's the minority that causes the legislation/restrictions for the majority.

It's kinda like the disclaimers "don't try this at home." While the vast majority won't one or two have done it, will do it, are doing it, or are thinking about it.

brickboy240
08-05-2012, 18:32
You must live nowhere near the border.

That whole "German autobahn" thingy would just not work here with all the illegals driving. They barely do the speed limit and if you have seen their cars...well..you really don't want those things doing 90 plus next to you on the freeway.

- brickboy240