Arrrrgggg! WASP! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Arrrrgggg! WASP!

Toyman
08-04-2012, 05:51
So the other day I was out behind the shop clearing some sticks and got stung by what I think was a wasp, didn't really get a look at it.

Once in the temple, once on the bottom side of my ring finger - about where the ring would be, and once on the side of my knee. Three painful spots.

It's been years since I've been stung by anything, and kinda forgot how bad it hurts - and for how long. My head still hurt 8 hrs later.

So, what are your ideas and suggestions for bee/wasp stings? Sting sticks, home remedies, etc.?

Hauptmann6
08-04-2012, 06:10
Ice it IIRC. Been a while here too fortunately.

ca survivor
08-04-2012, 07:26
if in a couple of days/weeks you start feeling sick, make sure you tell the Dr. about the wasp, some people are really allergic, hope you will be OK.

rgregoryb
08-04-2012, 11:38
Scotch.............applied internally

kirgi08
08-04-2012, 14:26
Ammonia.'08.

deadmanglocking
08-04-2012, 14:30
Slice of tomato applied to the sting. Always worked as a kid for red wasp stings. Or if you use tobacco products apply some wet tobacco to it. Daddy always said it would "draw" the poison out. Dunno, but it worked for us..

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

lawman800
08-05-2012, 11:08
Don't forget revenge on the nest.

cowboywannabe
08-05-2012, 11:41
benedril, ice, and some booze.

after youre good and liquored up youll come up with some good ideas for revenge on the nest.

lawman800
08-05-2012, 11:42
Depending on where the nest is, a good fiery death for the whole shebang is always appropriate.

Home made flamethrower, anyone?

coastal4974
08-05-2012, 12:39
You must have really pizzed him off, wasps are not usually aggressive.

A good remedy is to soak in the gulf with liberal doses of mojitos. Works for anything Iíve tried it for.

rwrjr
08-06-2012, 09:25
Sounds like they could have been yellow jackets, a type of wasp. They typically build nests in the ground or old stumps/logs, etc. Very aggressive little bastards and when you disturb their nests you'll get a few stings before you even know what hit you.

I myself hit a nest 4 weeks ago and had 8 stings in about 2 seconds. Last year I hit two separate nests on the SAME DAY while mowing my lawn and got multiple stings from each.

If they were yellow jackets you'll see dozens flying pretty close to the nest after they are disturbed. In my experience if you get more than 20-30 feet away they don't follow. Wait a couple of hours until they calm down before dealing with the nest, or even better go out at dark because they're fairly inactive in the dark.

Right after the stings a dose of Benadryl is a safety precaution. The pain usually goes away quickly but the sting sites can itch for several days and may swell a bit. Topical Benadryl cream helps a little with the itching, you'll just have to wait out the swelling. The worst of it should be over in about three days.

rwrjr
08-06-2012, 09:31
if in a couple of days/weeks you start feeling sick, make sure you tell the Dr. about the wasp, some people are really allergic, hope you will be OK.

Allergic reactions usually present symptoms fairly quickly. Shortness of breath, airway constriction, heartbeat irregularities. If your stung and you have symptoms other than the pain and swelling at the actual sting site I recommend you get to a doctor quickly. If you have severe reactions to stinging insects you may be a candidate for an EpiPen.

kirgi08
08-06-2012, 09:39
My friend,they actually sound like "white" faced hornets.They are the most combative "hornet" I know of.Granted yjs are aggressive,and I'm constrained by an Epi-pen.My kid hasta carry 1,I carry 3,my wife is quite happy ta inject as needed.'08. :sad:

Toyman
08-06-2012, 09:48
I could have been almost anything, I've got yellow jackets, white faced hornets, and some other giant yellow jacket looking wasp sized thing flying around and hovering in place.

Finding the nest might be hard (if there is one) as there are ferns everywhere, which makes finding it tough. I might have to break out some coveralls and just start poking around.

rwrjr
08-06-2012, 10:01
I have these huge hornets somewhere around the back of my house but I've never been able to find the nest. About as long as my pinky. Big, scary looking things. About once every 2-4 weeks one of those things gets in the house and buzzes around. They're not as fast as yellow jackets and I've found the perfect swatter for them. A tennis racket. :supergrin:

BTW, a tennis racket works great on carpenter bees too except that after a while they get smart and hover higher up just out of reach.

sebecman
08-06-2012, 10:09
I could have been almost anything, I've got yellow jackets, white faced hornets, and some other giant yellow jacket looking wasp sized thing flying around and hovering in place.

Finding the nest might be hard (if there is one) as there are ferns everywhere, which makes finding it tough. I might have to break out some coveralls and just start poking around.

If there is water, look there for them and follow them home. All bees/hornets/wasps need lots of water and when they get it they will make a beeline to the hive. Just follow them.

If there is not much water in the area place a bucket of water nearby, sit down and watch it.

CigarandScotch
08-06-2012, 10:15
Very few things are more satisfying to me than killing a nest of wasps or hornets. The time to do it is usually close to dusk, when they are all back home for the evening. You can usually kill the entire colony before they even know what hit them.

bob_fuller
08-06-2012, 12:08
rub some dirt in it.

Bilbo Bagins
08-06-2012, 13:55
Tell your wife/girlfriend that the only cure for a wasp sting is more sex.

John Rambo
08-06-2012, 14:08
Topical anesthetic, Lidocaine (or almost anything ending in "caine"), Menthol, you get the idea. Diphenhydramine, or if you don't have any, Meclizine Hcl, taken orally. 50mg should do it.

bdcochran
08-06-2012, 17:18
Wasps and yellow jackets do not sting. They bite. Been there when I was 6 years old.

ColdSteelNail
08-06-2012, 17:58
Wasps and yellow jackets do not sting. They bite. Been there when I was 6 years old.

Maybe California yellow jackets and wasps are too laid back to sting, but the southern variety are vicious and sting like hell.

michael e
08-06-2012, 18:14
I am allergic to them, I take a pill and go kill the bastards while chugging a few beers. I only stay awake about 45 mins after the pill so revenge must be swift.

bdcochran
08-06-2012, 18:35
:wow::wow: Warlike-Amount: 6 months ago

Yellow jackets have a very strong sting and they also bite. For further information about yellow jackets, please visit the website http://www.rescue.com/bug/yellowjackets.

John Rambo
08-06-2012, 18:40

I think you mean to say they sting AND bite. Because they're some evil sum*****es.

Paul53
08-06-2012, 21:59
For bee stings make a paste of water and meat tenderizer, apply to the sting ASAP. Great for keeping swelling and pain down. I know it sounds like a joke, but trust me.

rwrjr
08-07-2012, 12:33

Yellow Jackets do sting and can sting repeatedly until their stinger comes out.