Albany, OR 2012 Debriefing and Photo Thread [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Albany, OR 2012 Debriefing and Photo Thread

S.Kargoh
08-05-2012, 13:27
A couple months earlier than last year meant that it was hot and dry (as opposed to cool and rainy). It was about mid eighties when I left on Sunday around noon.

Lotta entries (I signed up this morning ans got 20X). Ran smoothly. Except when my second entry for 5 to glock walked away to another bay that was opened just as i was getting ready to shoot my first entry. I found it amd they let me come back and shoot.

Met yobohadi. A nice guy who made a long trek. Hopefully will see him in bremerton and i can buy him a beer. Saw the famous Chuck Anderson shoot. That was a highlight !
Lotta people taped, and it was fun.

Some pics:

http://i49.tinypic.com/1089zig.jpg

S.Kargoh
08-05-2012, 13:32
http://i45.tinypic.com/mjs801.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/zje5hd.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/11gohz4.jpg

S.Kargoh
08-05-2012, 13:38
I was the weirdo in flip flops and swim trunks. :)

Did okay. 70. Xx in comp and 62.xx in stock (my best ever, but wont be competitive in that category).

S.Kargoh
08-05-2012, 20:17
And... The drive home:

http://i49.tinypic.com/2r7lo49.jpg

bansheex
08-05-2012, 21:40
We had a great time. My second GSSF match, and my girlfriends first. Other than a few gun issues, all went well.

Thanks GSSF, and to all the great folks there. A special thanks to the RO's for helping my lady get through her first shoot.

Gun Nutt
08-05-2012, 22:07
Being my first match and took my son-in-law, it was a learning experience, but we both had a great time. RO's were very helpful, polite and patient with both of us. Also met a bunch of wonderful people.:thumbsup: Hope to see them in September in WA.

yobohadi
08-06-2012, 10:07
Great match, good people, and a very nice setup they have over there in Albany. I had a good time even though I shot poorly.

I too got to see Chuck shoot, amazing! That was worth the price of admission right there... Of course, I did shoot right after him and rushed my shots, got my first miss of my short GSSF career and lots of C's and D's. I even messed up shooting one Glock'M string in Subcompact, I had Major sub on the brain or something and shot each target once, I realized it and worked my way backwards through the cardboard targets and found out that I put only one shot on the end target before sweeping back to get the second shot on the other targets. Oh well, it was fun anyway.

As for Bremerton I will definitely take you up on that beer S.Kargoh if you let me buy the second round. I am sure we will be celebrating your graduation to Master at that point. It was nice to meet you and Chuck, I wish I could have stayed longer to shoot the breeze with more people, but I had to hit the road to get back to Idaho.

S.Kargoh
08-06-2012, 12:58
Did anybody try the fun shoot side match? I thought it was awesome. It had two d1 targets all painted black except for the middle azone. Only hits on that area counted. At first i thouhht it looked very intimidating. Then it made me really focus on the front sight.

I shot the fun shoot three times and shot it clean each time at about 6 seconds. It was a helpful set of targets to really focus on fundamentals.

SARDG
08-06-2012, 14:57
Great match... ...I even messed up shooting one Glock'M string in Subcompact, I had Major sub on the brain or something and shot each target once, I realized it and worked my way backwards through the cardboard targets and found out that I put only one shot on the end target before sweeping back to get the second shot on the other targets...
Believe it or not... you can get a reshoot for that under the "whatever" clause:

"Reshoots. GSSF reshoot policies are much more lenient than those of other shooting venues. Everyone is allowed one “free reshoot” per stage. No matter the cause of a malfunction, whether bad ammo, “limp wristing”, or whatever. If the competitor cannot or does not complete three “clean” strings of fire on “Five to GLOCK” or “GLOCK ‘M”, the ROs will paste all targets and reset all steel and allow the competitor one additional chance to shoot three “clean” strings."

Yep, like Prego... 'it's in there.'

yobohadi
08-06-2012, 15:24
Believe it or not... you can get a reshoot for that under the "whatever" clause:

"Reshoots. GSSF reshoot policies are much more lenient than those of other shooting venues. Everyone is allowed one “free reshoot” per stage. No matter the cause of a malfunction, whether bad ammo, “limp wristing”, or whatever. If the competitor cannot or does not complete three “clean” strings of fire on “Five to GLOCK” or “GLOCK ‘M”, the ROs will paste all targets and reset all steel and allow the competitor one additional chance to shoot three “clean” strings."

Yep, like Prego... 'it's in there.'

Wish I would have realized that, I thought reshoots were only allowed for pistol malfunctions, not brain malfunctions. Not that it matters, I probably still wouldn't be in the money anyway.

SARDG
08-06-2012, 15:40
Wish I would have realized that, I thought reshoots were only allowed for pistol malfunctions, not brain malfunctions. Not that it matters, I probably still wouldn't be in the money anyway.
By the time I convince everyone that a 'free' reshoot is allowed for anything, and then people start actually asking for them, the matches will take 4 days to complete instead of 2. :shocked:

Then there will be the inevitable debates because the ROs will not have read the 2012 RO Guide or paid attention in class... :whistling:

yobohadi
08-06-2012, 15:42
I shot the side match once as my warm up, didn't do too bad but just missed the small target from the black tombstones on the left target.

Say, as I understand it there was a drawing for a Glock done by the Albany Range, The yellow tickets they were handing out at registration, did anyone hear when they would be drawing for that and how they were going to announce the winner?

emtjr928
08-06-2012, 15:45
By the time I convince everyone that a 'free' reshoot is allowed for anything, and then people start actually asking for them, the matches will take 4 days to complete instead of 2. :shocked:

Then there will be the inevitable debates because the ROs will not have read the 2012 RO Guide or paid attention in class... :whistling:

What was that again? You say something?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

SARDG
08-06-2012, 15:48
What was that again? You say something?
Nope... go back to sleep. I'll wake you up for Conyers. :tongueout:

Roland-G23
08-06-2012, 16:39
I worked the match both days, shot both days. I was in Bay 4 running the plates with my 9 year old and 2 other guys.

The competitor drawing for a Glock certificate went to J. Smith. Mike McCarter was going to call her today as far as I know.

Thanks to all the folks that turned out. We beat last year's entries, and had more than Tri-County did as well. It was a hot couple of days, and a whole lot of fun.

I didn't do as well as I did in June at Tri-County. Borrowed a couple of left-handed guy's guns for Unlimited and Heavy Metal (that's my excuse), and left 2 plates standing on my Sub Compact run (first time in 3 years I haven't cleaned the plates).

Hopefully Cindy gets the prelims posted tomorrow and we'll see where my 67 and change runs in Civilian and Competition land me.

yobohadi
08-06-2012, 17:00
I worked the match both days, shot both days. I was in Bay 4 running the plates with my 9 year old and 2 other guys.
I didn't do as well as I did in June at Tri-County. Borrowed a couple of left-handed guy's guns for Unlimited and Heavy Metal (that's my excuse), and left 2 plates standing on my Sub Compact run (first time in 3 years I haven't cleaned the plates).

Good to put a name to a face, I left a plate standing yesterday around 10am with my subcompact and you mentioned that you left 2 standing and hadn't done that in years (while initialing my scoresheet)... I assumed you told me that just to make me feel better. :)

Roland-G23
08-06-2012, 17:35
Good to put a name to a face, I left a plate standing yesterday around 10am with my subcompact and you mentioned that you left 2 standing and hadn't done that in years (while initialing my scoresheet)... I assumed you told me that just to make me feel better. :)

I hate to see people leave plates standing. It can be so humbling and frustrating for people. So, yeah, I guess I was trying to make you feel better. :)

I keep a spreadsheet with all my GSSF scores since I started. I last left a plate standing in 2009 at Albany's match with my G26. Prior to that, I had 124 clean runs back to 2005 at Roseburg. The first four years I shot GSSF, I had 27 total misses on the plates. For me, at least, the plates have always been where I typically shoot the best. Makes up for the C's and D's I always seem to get on the paper targets. I did shoot the M clean this year, and had 5 C's on the 5 to Glock with my Civilian run.

I haven't been shooting the Glock's much this year, just GSSF in Portland and this match.

I'm thinking I might go to Bremerton next month if I can find someone else locally that is planning on going to ride-share with. If anyone is interested, drop me a line on www.arpcshootingsports.org.

Roland-G23
08-07-2012, 12:13
Here is the only pic I took. My 9 year old sound asleep about 6-8 feet behind the firing line at the Glock the Plates stage in Bay 4. He was so excited to go and be a "RO" for the match, he didn't go to sleep until 4AM. Sunday night when we got home, he ate a sandwich, and was out by 630PM and slept in his RO shirt.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13742472/workinghard.jpg

SARDG
08-07-2012, 12:47
...https://dl.dropbox.com/u/13742472/workinghard.jpg

Priceless... :)

Lawman223
08-08-2012, 11:50
Saw the famous Chuck Anderson shoot. That was a highlight !

Famous? There was another guy named Chuck Anderson there I missed, cause there's no way you're talking about me. I'm just glad you saw me shoot 5 to Glock, caused I sucked something awful on Glock M. Shot way, way too fast. Oh well.

I remember your run on 5 to Glock. Looked good and I seem to remember the RO telling you it was the best run he had seen. Great job. That and M were the hardest setups I've seen yet.

S.Kargoh
08-08-2012, 15:49
ThanksChuck,

I thought they were hard setups too. But fun..

Chuck taped his own darn targets too! I thought that was pretty cool.

(then again, his only need one square to cover all the shots, so it's quick).

:)