IDPA Classifier Mag management? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : IDPA Classifier Mag management?

ADK_40GLKr
08-05-2012, 14:23
You're shooting stage 1 in IDPA Classifier. (30 rounds)

You have 3 (9 round) mags for your G27.

How do you load and rotate your magazines in order to take the least amount of time reloading during your stage?

Spiffums
08-05-2012, 16:30
I used 17 round mags for my Glock 19...........if you have some 15 round mags or can borrow some I'd go that route.

ADK_40GLKr
08-05-2012, 20:58
NYS - anything above 10 rounds is illegal.

Guess my best bet is to get a couple more G27 mags.

ronin.45
08-05-2012, 22:51
Get more mags. I use my 10rd 17 mags and just load them to six since most strings are six shots. I reload between stages.
With your current setup you just load all three to 9 and reload three before the last string.

ADK_40GLKr
08-06-2012, 05:21
Get more mags. I use my 10rd 17 mags and just load them to six since most strings are six shots. I reload between stages.
With your current setup you just load all three to 9 and reload three before the last string.

OK here's what I figured out for Stage 1:
-Load 9 in each of 3 mags.
String 1, 2, 3 use mag A - 9 shots
String 4 - use "Barney"* mag and load 9 + 1 with mag B
--------- shoot 6, drop mag B (containing 3) and eject 1 in pipe
String 5-weak hand: load 9+1 using mag C- shoot 3, leave 6 in mag C ejecting 1 from pipe
String 6 - 3+3 from mags A&B
string 7- shoot the 6 left in mag C

You only reload 3 + 2 admins with your spare magazine.

Complicated & likely to be fouled up under pressure. Just buy the extra mags if I can!

* My Barney Mag is an old G22 magazine loaded with 2 rounds to "top off" those 2 loadings- used only for "administrative reloads".

For stages 2&3 you've gotta load 6 in each & reload 2 mags in the middle of each stage.

HK Dan
08-06-2012, 09:01

Ordinarily that's true, but on Limited Vickers courses like the Classifier you can "load em up".

ADK_40GLKr
08-06-2012, 09:39
Ordinarily that's true, but on Limited Vickers courses like the Classifier you can "load em up".

In NYS? I want to believe ya, Dan, but show me.

Glockrunner
08-07-2012, 05:46
OK here's what I figured out for Stage 1:
-Load 9 in each of 3 mags.
String 1, 2, 3 use mag A - 9 shots
String 4 - use "Barney"* mag and load 9 + 1 with mag B
--------- shoot 6, drop mag B (containing 3) and eject 1 in pipe
String 5-weak hand: load 9+1 using mag C- shoot 3, leave 6 in mag C ejecting 1 from pipe
String 6 - 3+3 from mags A&B
string 7- shoot the 6 left in mag C

You only reload 3 + 2 admins with your spare magazine.

Complicated & likely to be fouled up under pressure. Just buy the extra mags if I can!

* My Barney Mag is an old G22 magazine loaded with 2 rounds to "top off" those 2 loadings- used only for "administrative reloads".

For stages 2&3 you've gotta load 6 in each & reload 2 mags in the middle of each stage.

Mag. 1 Load to Division capacity 9 + Barney=10
Shoot Strings 1,2,3=9

***Reload Mag 1 with 2 rounds for string 6 and place it in your pocket

Keeping the chamber loaded, reload a full mag. 2=10
Shoot String 4 & 5= 9

Place mag 1 with 2 rounds (still 1 in chamber) and insert in pistol

Mag 3 have a full 9 rounds in carry pouch

Shoot Strings 6 (3 & reload with 9 firing 3 (remainder 6 in pistol)
& shoot string 7= 6

Glockrunner
08-07-2012, 05:58
I think he means to say the mag is illegal to own in NY.

Glockrunner
08-07-2012, 06:02
In NYS? I want to believe ya, Dan, but show me.

Ain't from NY so down here we LOAD'EM UP!

After all, the object is to get the job done as efficiently and as quickly as possible cause it gets HOT down here. Besides we want that shooter to do his living best and move up a notch in life, right, isn't that the real goal here! YES:wavey:

ADK_40GLKr
08-07-2012, 11:50
Mag. 1 Load to Division capacity 9 + Barney=10
Shoot Strings 1,2,3=9

***Reload Mag 1 with 2 rounds for string 6 and place it in your pocket

Keeping the chamber loaded, reload a full mag. 2=10
Shoot String 4 & 5= 9

Place mag 1 with 2 rounds (still 1 in chamber) and insert in pistol

Mag 3 have a full 9 rounds in carry pouch

Shoot Strings 6 (3 & reload with 9 firing 3 (remainder 6 in pistol)
& shoot string 7= 6

Sounds good! Just gotta convince our SO. He insists we clear the chamber and pull the trigger after each string!

amazon
08-07-2012, 12:17
same here - you can't leave the line with a hot firearm.

Use a Barny mag to load to division capacity when allowed. Here it's 10+1.

also, I have found the hard way to download my used mags and then reload them. I've caught myself sort a round two times because I *thought* I shot X from it and added that number back in, only to find out that I shot one more. So I always dump the rounds once I've used a mag in a stage just to be safe. Nothing like being off in a round count - esp. when you can only have 6 in a mag or something like that!

Chris Chris
08-07-2012, 14:29
I'm a IDPA MA class shooter and a SO. I have run MANY classifier matches. Glockrunner's round count/mag load works just fine if you run each shooter completly through the 30 round stage (as I prefer to do).

If the SO is running shooters through strings on the Classifier, instead of the entire stage... and then bringing another shooter up... then yes you would have to ULSC to leave the line. But, that system is guaranteed to make the day longer and more frustrating than the classifier has to be.

Classifiers are a royal PITA... anything you can do to speed things up is worth twice the price, and Glockrunner's String 1 load out plan helps.

Glockrunner
08-07-2012, 15:23
Sounds good! Just gotta convince our SO. He insists we clear the chamber and pull the trigger after each string!

... if you run each shooter completly through the 30 round stage (as I prefer to do).

But, that system is guaranteed to make the day longer and more frustrating than the classifier has to be.

... anything you can do to speed things up is worth twice the price,....

Yes, as an SO that is what I do. We set up three complete stages and run each competetor completely through. However, there is one glitch: IF we have to paste missed head shots.

Then we shoot, load and holster the firearm. We turn the shooter around so his back is to the stage and the SO stands right in front of the shooter. May God have mercy on his soul if the shooter trys to turn while folks are downrange.

It works for us. We know most of our 75+ shooters well and they all are decent folks and have a good solid understanding of our procedures.

Chris Chris
08-07-2012, 16:03
That works. I don't even have them turn. I just have them put their hands on top of their head, with a SO standing by. It takes only seconds to paste the missed head shots, so no one is put out by it.

If you've got 20-30 shooters running a Classifier, every second saved helps you get home before 'the street lights come on' (as my Mother used to tell me).

We also set up two identical target set ups in one bay. Squad 1 shooter runs the 30 round stage, then Squad 2 shooter runs the 30 round stage. Then we past and score. Get's a lot of shooters through the Classifier using just one bay, and a minimal amount to SOs. the pasting and scoring takes almost as much time as the shooting.

With two set ups in one bay I have been able to run 25 shooters thorugh the Classifier in less than 3 hours. And, since we only used one bay, the rest of the club members didn't complain a lot about not being able to use the bays.

ADK_40GLKr
08-07-2012, 18:03
Usually, there are 3 or 4 of us at practice. The SO has each of us do the whole stage, but DOES ask us to clear the gun at the end of each string.

So if I load 9+1, I shoot 6, drop the mag, & clear the pipe, I still have 3 in the mag for string 6 to be used later.

Does MY method in post 5 work? It only requires reloading 1 mag with 3 shells during the stage, + the 2 admin loads.

I think the only difference from Glockrunner's is he's keeping the 1 in the pipe instead of clearing it.

Chris Chris
08-07-2012, 18:22
Usually, there are 3 or 4 of us at practice. The SO has each of us do the whole stage, but DOES ask us to clear the gun at the end of each string.

So if I load 9+1, I shoot 6, drop the mag, & clear the pipe, I still have 3 in the mag for string 6 to be used later.

Does MY method in post 5 work? It only requires reloading 1 mag with 3 shells during the stage, + the 2 admin loads.

I think the only difference from Glockrunner's is he's keeping the 1 in the pipe instead of clearing it.

I'm sure it would work if you had to take the time to ULSC after each string. I don't. I keep them 'hot' for the 30 round stage, then ULSC and score ten hits (hopefully) per target. It speeds things up... and even under the best of circumstances the IDPA Classifier is a PITA. Run 30+ shooters through one and you'll feel like you've put in a full WEEK'S work.

And, you'll be hoarse from explaining to EACH shooter, excatly what they are supposed to be shooting, because it seems that none of them (except the SS and up who have done this before) pay any attention to what the shooter in front of them did... so (with the exception of the veterans) you have to explain the COF/string to each and every shooter every time.

I's an exhausting process.

ADK_40GLKr
08-07-2012, 20:42
I'm sure it would work if you had to take the time to ULSC after each string. I don't. I keep them 'hot' for the 30 round stage, then ULSC and score ten hits (hopefully) per target. It speeds things up... and even under the best of circumstances the IDPA Classifier is a PITA. Run 30+ shooters through one and you'll feel like you've put in a full WEEK'S work.

And, you'll be hoarse from explaining to EACH shooter, excatly what they are supposed to be shooting, because it seems that none of them (except the SS and up who have done this before) pay any attention to what the shooter in front of them did... so (with the exception of the veterans) you have to explain the COF/string to each and every shooter every time.

I's an exhausting process.

Sounds like FUN!?! :whistling:

Our "practices" are pretty tame by comparison. I've been involved since early May, and the most participants we've had was 6. That gives us time for a little distraction. I missed an official match a few weeks ago, which, I'm sure, was run a lot more like yours.

Sheep
08-08-2012, 10:31

sorry Dan, that's another IDPA myth. says right in rulebook classifer must be shot from division capacity.

op, get you some NYS legal 10 round mags.....

Chris Chris
08-08-2012, 11:33
sorry Dan, that's another IDPA myth. says right in rulebook classifer must be shot from division capacity.

op, get you some NYS legal 10 round mags.....

That is correct. The Rule Book does state 'division capacity'. However, having been a SO for 7 years (and the CSO at one club) I do know that few, if any, experienced SOs pay any attention to that portion of the Rule Book.

They all want to get home 'before the street lights come on' ... so they have the shooters load their mags in whatever way is the most efficient regarding time.

Sheep
08-08-2012, 14:28
the shooters load their mags in whatever way is the most efficient regarding time.

HAAhhahaaaa, oh that strikes me as funny. Seems USPSA 'let's' you do this.

My mags hold up to 23 rounds, and IDPA has never let me load that many.

But, I get your point....

BillR
08-14-2012, 11:47
I run my mags 9-12-9 on Stage 1, then 12-6-12 on Stage 2. We always shoot a full stage before leaving the line.

ADK_40GLKr
08-14-2012, 13:35
I run my mags 9-12-9 on Stage 1, then 12-6-12 on Stage 2. We always shoot a full stage before leaving the line.

Nice for you! :wavey:

But in PRNY we are restricted to 10 round mags.

km625
08-14-2012, 13:46

Pre-ban high-capacity mags are legal to own in NYS, it's only illegal to own any post ban high-cap mag.