What happens when you run over an NYPD officers foot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What happens when you run over an NYPD officers foot?

harlenm
08-06-2012, 10:17
http://youtu.be/3lKwkn6JT74

Patchman
08-06-2012, 10:25
I'm also going to guess it's not everyday an NYPD cop (or any cop, for that matter) gets the honor of being runned over by a Ferrari 458 Spider.

RustyShackelford
08-06-2012, 10:43
What a dummy. He literally stuck himself in front of the vehicle and then literally put his foot in way of tire. He seemed to walk fine after the 'assault'.

/smh

M&P Shooter
08-06-2012, 10:46
I have no idea why anyone would run over the cops foot:dunno: If you can afford that car then a simple parking ticket is a cup of coffee:dunno:

BEER
08-06-2012, 11:01
why did the cop step in front of the vehicle while it was running, and had a driver behind the wheel? it seems to me like there would be some sort of class segment at the academy explaining that doing so is a horribly stupid idea.

as for the driver, well he's yet more proof that money dosen't equal brains.

berto62
08-06-2012, 11:02
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRyEi56fKxgcOgAvG3QVmfW9uMJ0AFOellhMqcpAjOzGNySAjQY

8-Ball
08-06-2012, 11:15
Looks to me like there's two dip****s in that video.

jellis11
08-06-2012, 11:20
cop stepped a little in front to signal to the *obvious* idiot thinking he was going to just drive away that HE is the one going to get the ticket. Guy wasn't as cool as he thinks he is.

stolenphot0
08-06-2012, 11:28
cop stepped a little in front to signal to the *obvious* idiot thinking he was going to just drive away that HE is the one going to get the ticket. Guy wasn't as cool as he thinks he is.

^^^ This.

I don't know the rules, but could they have impounded the car as evidence in the assault?

alphacat
08-06-2012, 11:33
The policeman is your friend.

bmoore
08-06-2012, 11:34
Its pretty simple folks, do what the cops tell you to do. If you don't agree with it well then fine, take it up in the courts.

harlenm
08-06-2012, 11:36
^^^ This.

I don't know the rules, but could they have impounded the car as evidence in the assault?

They did impound it.

RustyShackelford
08-06-2012, 11:40
They did impound it.

The car seemed to be slowly easing into traffic at end of video.

stolenphot0
08-06-2012, 11:42
Yeah I thought it looked like maybe the girlfriend moved it? IDK.

TheExplorer
08-06-2012, 11:49
If it was just for a parking ticket, the cop should have gotten out of the way. He already had his info. He just gets it sent in the mail with a bigger fine. At least that's what they always say on that parking wars show.

Kilrain
08-06-2012, 11:51
If it was just for a parking ticket, the cop should have gotten out of the way. He already had his info. He just gets it sent in the mail with a bigger fine. At least that's what they always say on that parking wars show.

Perhaps it doesn't work that way in New York? Or perhaps the particular type of citation changes when you have an owner/operator on scene and the cop had to change the information on the citation to issue to a person?

:dunno:

TheExplorer
08-06-2012, 11:55
Perhaps it doesn't work that way in New York? Or perhaps the particular type of citation changes when you have an owner/operator on scene and the cop had to change the information on the citation to issue to a person?

:dunno:

I don't know either. But on the show they show people getting into their car and driving off while the officer is writing the ticket all the time.

harlenm
08-06-2012, 11:59
The car seemed to be slowly easing into traffic at end of video.

According to story.

The Ferrari -- which suffered several scratches on a driver-side panel -- was impounded as arrest evidence.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/08/06/tephanie-pratt-boyfriend-arrested-after-drives-his-ferrari-over-cop-foot/?intcmp=features#ixzz22n47wtN3

CitizenOfDreams
08-06-2012, 11:59
Is that why they call them "flatfoots"?

skinny99
08-06-2012, 12:00
Dumb and Dumber! Stupid people on both side of the ball there. However if you park illegally and get caught just suck it up and take the ticket.

SCHADENFREUDE
08-06-2012, 12:01
I am not a fan of how the cops treat citizens these days but this cop gets two thumbs up. You illegally park and you think because you drive a fancy car you can just drive off.

Dennis in MA
08-06-2012, 12:02
I'm on the cop's side on this one. Spider (get me another drink Spider - LOL) needs some attitude adjustment.

RustyShackelford
08-06-2012, 12:03
According to story.

My mistake.

When the cop was pressing onto the driver's-side, I thought "he is doing several hundred dollars worth just with his d-baggery." What a tool. The owner* of the car could have done better for himself, also.

KalashniKEV
08-06-2012, 12:16
There's actually a weird second or two in the vid before the driver gets in where he's just staring at the cops face like, "Ummmmm..."

Definitely a dumbass, but the cop could have issued an instruction to the driver that would have avoided all of this. Instead he just stood there looking at the ticket book ignoring him until he chose to block his path, and later place his foot under the drivers side front wheel...

How about controlling the situation a little? I mean at least when you're standing in front of a vehicle in operation...

Dennis in MA
08-06-2012, 12:31
On the link: No inspection sticker, NO REGISTRATION.

b'bye! No wonder it was impounded. Unregistered vehicle.

I bet he votes Democrat and wants more regulation and taxes. . . for the rest of us. He must be related to Leona Helmsley.

TheExplorer
08-06-2012, 12:35
On the link: No inspection sticker, NO REGISTRATION.

We need to know the nature of the ticket. If it was reg, then it must be towed.

Geeorge
08-06-2012, 22:57
If he ran over my foot I would have taken out my night stick out and inserted it making a corn dog outta him

Snaps
08-06-2012, 23:01
that is a gorgeous car

NickC50310
08-06-2012, 23:06
What kind of stupid ****** has the money for that car and then doesnt have it registered and then gets himself into that kind of a situation over a minor ticket? Frankly I think that cop deserved to kick his ass a lot more just for his pure stupidity and ******ness.

glock_19guy1983
08-06-2012, 23:08
guy in the car should have swallowed most of his teeth followed by that cop's baton. The cop was stupid for putting his foot there but no excuse for the dbag running over it.

youngdocglock
08-06-2012, 23:10
i say they are both wrong.

Driver is wrong for #1 trying to be a cheapskate and not wanting the ticket. #2 for attempting to drive away.

Cop is wrong for #1 standing in front of a car in grid-lock traffic it clearly wasnt going anywhere other than 3 feet. #2 intentionally putting his foot under the car well knowing it would get run over.

2 people acting badly = 1 big problem.

MulletLoad
08-06-2012, 23:13
Dumb arse in car.

I viewed this thread thinking it was a cop that got out of line. The cop was dead on right.

Driver could have walked up, smoothed the situation over and probably hired the cop for his next super fly party for $300. Instead he thought he was going to get away with using his car as a condom to drive off into the sunset even though the cop had a buddy 20' away.

Epic fail as the sayin' goes.

Drain You
08-06-2012, 23:17
Amazing that a ******nozzle likes that gets to ride or be ridden by things like I saw in the video and here I sit alone with a piece of **** truck.

MtBaldy
08-06-2012, 23:39
Driver is wrong for #1 trying to be a cheapskate and not wanting the ticket. #2 for attempting to drive away.

Driver wasn't being cheap, he was being arrogant. As in Leona Helmsley, "You pathetic low wage government flunky you can't tell me what to do. Do you KNOW WHO I AM??", arrogant. This azzclown didn't say that but I bet he was thinking it.

youngdocglock
08-06-2012, 23:42
Driver wasn't being cheap, he was being arrogant. As in Leona Helmsley, "You pathetic low wage government flunky you can't tell me what to do. Do you KNOW WHO I AM??", arrogant. This azzclown didn't say that but I bet he was thinking it.

that he was. But the officer clearly knew the outcome when he put his foot purposefully in front of the tire. That shows arrogance on his part as well. kind of a "you dont want a ticket, im gonna give you much more" mentality.

Rabbi
08-06-2012, 23:53

The people on the Parking Wars show are not cops. When the Police take action, things happen differently.

For example, many cities have non sworn (not cops) to do all kinds of legal code compliance. They issue citations and some of them are criminal. However, if someone gets out of hand, most of them are instructed to either leave or call the Police.

Now, if a sworn officer (a cop) is issuing the same citation, if someone gets out of hand, you deal with that person...and all the things that means and can lead to.

With a few exceptions, the police dont "let" people go in the middle of an enforcement action. They take care of it until the end, where ever that end is. If I am giving someone a parking ticket, there is no "let him go and send it to him in the mail" if he wants to go. That is not how it works. There is "You will stay here until I am through or else."

Deanster
08-07-2012, 00:45
I'm generally pro-LEO, and the driver was certainly not a genius.

However, it sure looked to me like the driver walked up, looked at the cop the whole way in to see if the officer wanted to engage him in some way, and took the officer's lack of response to indicate that he wasn't the focus of the officer's interest.

The officer then kind of shuffles in front of the car in a couple stages... but still NEVER engaged the driver, or gave ANY indication that he had instructions or preferences about the driver's actions until after he'd put his foot in front of the wheel, out of the driver's line of sight, and the driver began to move.

I don't think I'd drive forward with an officer that close, but I also don't drive in New York.

IMHO, this is a total failure by the officer. If you want someone to alter what they're doing for you, say something, or make the situation unambiguous.

Standing near the driver's fender writing, and not responding in any way to the driver walking up and getting in the car is damned ambiguous, doubly so with a half-dozen other cars in the immediate area.

I suppose the driver should have asked the officer if he could leave, but in general, he's free to go unless the officer asks him to not go, right? It'd be different if the officer was clearly standing in front of the car, but by standing out of the car's line, but with a foot under the curve of the tire... he created a damn messy situation.

All he needed to say was 'Hold on a second, sir." as the guy walked up, and this would have gone down very differently. I'm pretty sure they have a whole section on 'Clear Instructions' at the Academy, yes?

JuneyBooney
08-07-2012, 01:18
I'm also going to guess it's not everyday an NYPD cop (or any cop, for that matter) gets the honor of being runned over by a Ferrari 458 Spider.

Cool car. I wonder what he does to afford it. The cop was a dummy for putting his foot in front of the wheel. I guess he does not understand "contributory" actions. Nice looking woman too. :cool:

BEER
08-07-2012, 01:21
so was the leo taught to NOT stand in front of an occupied vehicle or not?

JuneyBooney
08-07-2012, 01:22
The people on the Parking Wars show are not cops. When the Police take action, things happen differently.

For example, many cities have non sworn (not cops) to do all kinds of legal code compliance. They issue citations and some of them are criminal. However, if someone gets out of hand, most of them are instructed to either leave or call the Police.

Now, if a sworn officer (a cop) is issuing the same citation, if someone gets out of hand, you deal with that person...and all the things that means and can lead to.

With a few exceptions, the police dont "let" people go in the middle of an enforcement action. They take care of it until the end, where ever that end is. If I am giving someone a parking ticket, there is no "let him go and send it to him in the mail" if he wants to go. That is not how it works. There is "You will stay here until I am through or else."

You are exactly right, Rabbi. But the leo should have not placed his foot in front of the car...:faint:There is no doubt that if that car is owned by the guy that he has enough money to pay legal fees for a stupid move. :whistling:

JuneyBooney
08-07-2012, 01:26
Looks to me like there's two dip****s in that video.

We watched the same video...:rofl:

Has anyone run a carfax to see if the car is leased or owned? The tag is visible so that can be done legally.

rockapede
08-07-2012, 01:50
I'm getting a kick out of the conflicted nature of this thread. The only people GNG hates more than cops are the wealthy.

NEOH212
08-07-2012, 01:51
Its pretty simple folks, do what the cops tell you to do. If you don't agree with it well then fine, take it up in the courts.

Ahhh.

Logic is very refreshing!

:drink:

JuneyBooney
08-07-2012, 01:53
I'm getting a kick out of the conflicted nature of this thread. The only people GNG hates more than cops are the wealthy.

:rofl:That is true.

bmoore
08-07-2012, 03:18

Public employee's are the boogie man to the GNG. Crackheads, meth heads, drunks, bums all abusing the system and getting a check every month, they are good to go! But if you work for 50K a year with a retirement you are the sole root of all the problems.

JW1178
08-07-2012, 03:56
The guy was an idiot for running over the cop's foot but the cop was an idiot for putting his foot in the way.

clancy
08-07-2012, 04:26
I think the guy with the car got exactly what he deserved. I also think the cop made the mistake of thinking if he stands close to the car the guy won't be stupid enough to try to drive away.

Gallium
08-07-2012, 05:04
Looks to me like a game of "chicken vs kitty". Not sure who the bird is, and who the feline is, but certainly there were no winners in that video between the two.

Assuming the car was parked in an area where at that time parking was restricted, the operator of the vehicle was already very lucky it was not simply towed.

If you approach your vehicle to find a cop writing you up, the smart thing to do is either stew and wait for the ticket, or ask "what's up?"

The POLICE OFFICER failed to immediately maintain control of the situation by not clearly telling the airhead what actions he was taking, and what the operator should do. THE EASIEST THING to do would have been to tell dude - step away from the car, turn the ignition off, this vehicle may be subject to being towed/impounded, cool car dude, but I have to write this up.

Leaving a ticket on a windshield means squat. Once the VIN is in his ticket book/machine, it's pretty much in. IF the vehicle did not have permanent reg tags he would have been manually getting the VIN from the car, and also, if he was a "regular" cop he would not have that handy-dandy device they use to scan your vehicle registration.

We should always expect the people who have the training and conditioning to grasp and maintain control of these situations. The cop placing his foot in the path of the wheel was not the best possible action to take in this scenario. The city (NYC) has already administratively ruled that police officers CANNOT place themselves in the path of a vehicle to shoot at/in the vehicle. I suspect that rule also includes enforcement using less than deadly force.

Cop is going to potentially damage his foot for what, a ticket? He had plenty of opportunity to not have that moron "arm" himself before it got to that.

- G

Kevin108
08-07-2012, 05:49
Just look at everything in that video. What a ****hole place. ********* cops, ********* drivers, unlimited traffic and massive crowds of people. Why would anyone want to live like that?

M&P Shooter
08-07-2012, 06:01
Public employee's are the boogie man to the GNG. Crackheads, meth heads, drunks, bums all abusing the system and getting a check every month, they are good to go! But if you work for 50K a year with a retirement you are the sole root of all the problems.
We all know there's much more behind the public's feelings toward police today then just hatting someone for know reason.

rockapede
08-07-2012, 06:40
just hatting someone for know reason.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you telling me to put on my thinking cap?

seanmac45
08-07-2012, 06:43
The driver should have lost all of his teeth.

Anyone who says he didn't know he was being written up and thought he could drive away is delusional.

berto62
08-07-2012, 06:50
as corrupt as New York City police are the driver could have just haded the cop a twenty and been on his way.just like tipping the doorman

ca survivor
08-07-2012, 07:04
he put the foot slightly under the tire on purpose, police abuse of power again, hope the guys gives the tape to the driver.

seanmac45
08-07-2012, 07:06
Posted by berto; as corrupt as New York City police are the driver could have just haded the cop a twenty and been on his way.just like tipping the doorman

Please tell us all about your firsthand experience with corruption in the NYPD. I am sure that if you are making a statement such as the one above you can back it up.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the internet where anyone can put himself forth as an expert on any topic with no basis in reality. You should fit that category quite nicely.

What would I know having spent twenty years in the NYPD and having worked in internal affairs?

Please contnue to regale me with your expertise on the corruption in NYPD.

M&P Shooter
08-07-2012, 07:21
I'm not sure what you're getting at. Are you telling me to put on my thinking cap?
Yes:supergrin: A lot of police negativity today comes from the bad apples out weighting the good ones BECAUSE the media sells more papers by printing controversy and drama. Remember a cop can run through a burning building and carry a baby out in his arms but the cop that beat the crap out of a rapist who just assaulted a 10 year old girl on the same day gets the front page and a story that runs for the week but the paper will leave out the whole rape thing and make him out to be a poor victim of abuse:steamed:

Bren
08-07-2012, 08:06
This one time, on TV, I learned that cops...

:rofl:

hamster
08-07-2012, 08:22
The driver is a d-bag... there is no question. But seriously the Cop is a friggin' moron to put his foot under the wheel. Even if he was doing it to try to indicate to the guy he shoudn't leave, I doubt the d-baggy driver could see the 6 inch move of the foot from the driver seat. I mean seriously, who puts their foot under a car they suspect is about to pull away?

My friggin' two year old is smart enough not to do that. Speaking of which, someone should tell the officer "Use your words." A few stern words of warning could very well have de-escalated the situation.

On a related note. Why for the love of god are the cops in NYC still hand-writing traffic citations? He must write 600 tickets a day. They need some sort of portable VIN Scanner (with OCR) and a little screen where they select the offense. Ticket prints out and bam done in 10 seconds instead of taking 5 minutes per car. What a waste of an officer's valuable time. Well I guess Mayor Big Gulp has other priorities.

AA_Khost
08-07-2012, 08:36
DB runs over a cops foot,goes to jail for assault. Whats the problem here? :dunno:

hamster
08-07-2012, 08:40
DB runs over a cops foot,goes to jail for assault. Whats the problem here? :dunno:

The problem is: purposely putting one's foot under a moving vehicle probably isn't the best technique.

Altaris
08-07-2012, 08:49
I'm generally pro-LEO, and the driver was certainly not a genius.

However, it sure looked to me like the driver walked up, looked at the cop the whole way in to see if the officer wanted to engage him in some way, and took the officer's lack of response to indicate that he wasn't the focus of the officer's interest.

The officer then kind of shuffles in front of the car in a couple stages... but still NEVER engaged the driver, or gave ANY indication that he had instructions or preferences about the driver's actions until after he'd put his foot in front of the wheel, out of the driver's line of sight, and the driver began to move.

I don't think I'd drive forward with an officer that close, but I also don't drive in New York.

IMHO, this is a total failure by the officer. If you want someone to alter what they're doing for you, say something, or make the situation unambiguous.

Standing near the driver's fender writing, and not responding in any way to the driver walking up and getting in the car is damned ambiguous, doubly so with a half-dozen other cars in the immediate area.

I suppose the driver should have asked the officer if he could leave, but in general, he's free to go unless the officer asks him to not go, right? It'd be different if the officer was clearly standing in front of the car, but by standing out of the car's line, but with a foot under the curve of the tire... he created a damn messy situation.

All he needed to say was 'Hold on a second, sir." as the guy walked up, and this would have gone down very differently. I'm pretty sure they have a whole section on 'Clear Instructions' at the Academy, yes?

My thoughts exactly. The officer caused the escalation of this situation.

The officer had more than enough time to give some type of instruction and failed to do so. If the officer isn't telling me to wait until he is done, I am going to assume he is not interested in me and I am going to drive off.

bigtimelarry
08-07-2012, 08:54
They shoulda Towed his car in and scratched it (oops by accident) a little and stuck it in impound for a few month's til the court date.
Cops have a tough enough job, dont make it any tougher.

nmk
08-07-2012, 08:57
Two idiots in that video for sure.

rahulanand1130
08-07-2012, 10:47
Some backstory on the video. The car had just been pulled up by a valet and the cop shortly after started writing the ticket. The owner of the Ferrari saw this and told the valet guys who went to speak with the officer and then went to get the manager while the officer continued to write the ticket. Driver assumed the valet service was going to take care of the issue with the officer supposedly and went to leave when the cop didn't say a word to the owner. Can't post a link to the info but I got it from www.thesmokingtire.com

BigMoneyGrip
08-07-2012, 10:50
I'm not that smart, however, I'm smart enough to not stand there and let a BIG RED CAR run over me like that idiot did. The problem with common sense is, it's not very common.

TBO
08-07-2012, 11:27
Internet Gun board Golden Rule: If it's not illegal you must support it 100%

The Officer broke no law.

matt_lowry123
08-07-2012, 11:44
It would have been better if the guy said, "don't taze me bro."

Glock!9
08-07-2012, 11:55
Some backstory on the video. The car had just been pulled up by a valet and the cop shortly after started writing the ticket. The owner of the Ferrari saw this and told the valet guys who went to speak with the officer and then went to get the manager while the officer continued to write the ticket. Driver assumed the valet service was going to take care of the issue with the officer supposedly and went to leave when the cop didn't say a word to the owner. Can't post a link to the info but I got it from www.thesmokingtire.com

If this is true then maybe the guy wasnt all that wrong after all but still should have just waited to sort it out. the cop was a moron for not giving some sort of command and instead putting his foot in front of the tire.

zagzig
08-07-2012, 12:05
It was probably his dads or bosses car and he wasn't supposed to be out tooling around in it.

TheExplorer
08-07-2012, 12:18
I just watched this again. The officer let him get into the car, start it, proceed a few inches, and then commanded him to stop. The officer deliberately escalated the situation by doing so to me. He was looking for the outcome that transpired. I hope NYPD is comfortable with Ferrari's $15k paint process.

BEER
08-07-2012, 12:35
I hope NYPD is comfortable with Ferrari's $15k paint process.

for 15k that freaking paint job had damned well better be able to stand a lot more abuse than what was shown in that video. if i ever pay 15k for a paint job it better be bullet proof, literally.

series1811
08-07-2012, 12:44
The driver is a d-bag... there is no question. But seriously the Cop is a friggin' moron to put his foot under the wheel. Even if he was doing it to try to indicate to the guy he shoudn't leave, I doubt the d-baggy driver could see the 6 inch move of the foot from the driver seat. I mean seriously, who puts their foot under a car they suspect is about to pull away?

My friggin' two year old is smart enough not to do that. Speaking of which, someone should tell the officer "Use your words." A few stern words of warning could very well have de-escalated the situation.

Well, executing search warrants on houses with armed felons in them, arresting the people who prey on other people, walking up to cars without knowing if it is an old lady or a dangerous fugitive planing on shooting you, and going undercover with criminals, aren't very smart, either.

But, the police do it every day.

janice6
08-07-2012, 12:48
I bet the law has no provision in it which allows a driver to run over another persons foot. No matter what the circumstances. Cop or not.

Circumstances do not allow a driver to injure another person with his car, even by negligence.

I would have responded, in that circumstance, using any and all legal means available to me to have him in court. And I am not a cop.

I'll be that some of you would even justify pulling a gun to "protect yourself" from further injury by an automobile and a reckless driver.

If you stand in front of a car, it still does not give the driver the right to run you over. He can call a cop to have him remove you, but he can not use his car to do so.

1-2man
08-07-2012, 12:49

...and DBs rear quarter panel gets all scratched up in the process. :supergrin:

Gallium
08-07-2012, 13:53

The Officer broke no law.

if that tire had crushed his metatarsals or cuneiform, not only would bones have been broken, but he would have also broken the law of stupid.

With the plethora of tools available to him in his tool-box, it is bemusing that was the tool which he chose to use in dealing with the tool.

It is indeed illegal in NY to place oneself in the path of an oncoming vehicle (don't know what the exact code is, don't care :)). As mentioned before, it is also an administrative boo boo by the NYPD - you can't block a vehicle's path and then claim the driver was using deadly force.

Really, that driver...his trip to asphalt should have taken less time (ie, more acceleration and deceleration), but the cop had all the cards to play.

Instead we have Mister_Beefy speculating as to which CopTalker it was.... :faint:

seanmac45
08-07-2012, 14:02
I'd really like to see the citation regarding it being illegal to place yourself in the path of a moving vehicle.

As to the operator he was refusing a command to stop moving the car. Game over.

TheExplorer
08-07-2012, 14:05

AFTER he allowed him to get in the car, start it, and move a few inches. This officer was looking for a confrontation. Far from professional behavior on the officer's part. I agree the driver should have stopped after the command though.

ICARRY2
08-07-2012, 14:20
The driver is an arrogant p***k.

The leo had the legal authority to step in front of the car to prevent the driver from leaving.

I hope the driver gets a felony and prison time.

KalashniKEV
08-07-2012, 15:30
The driver is an arrogant p***k.

+1000

Actually, you can see the look on his face the moment before he gets in the car (0:07) when he is actually looking for a command... he's seeking guidance from the officer... who is supposed to be in control of the situation.

The metermaid just stands there looking at his ticket book like he's slow or something.

You can actually see by the way his partner nonchalantly approaches the situation with no sense of urgency that he knows the guy is just too dumb for the badge.

seanmac45
08-07-2012, 16:18
I guess you can pick out the next six winning lotto numbers out of thin air as well.

Please, tell us more of what you can divine everyone in that video to be thinking.

I'm fascinated.

Hauptmann6
08-07-2012, 16:26
for 15k that freaking paint job had damned well better be able to stand a lot more abuse than what was shown in that video. if i ever pay 15k for a paint job it better be bullet proof, literally.

When a car costs 200k + the paint aint cheap either.

Deanster
08-07-2012, 16:32
Refusing a command, shouted through the window, from the officer who refused to speak to him previously...

If the period of 'refusing the command' lasted 3 seconds, it's a miracle...

Seanmac - I've respected and appreciated your input here for a long time now, but if you truly believe this is a case of the driver being 100% wrong, the officer doing 100% the right thing, and the driver gets what he deserves, we're going to have to part ways on this one.

The officer got his foot run over because he stuck it under the wheel when the driver couldn't see. The officer's VERY FIRST interaction with the driver is AFTER his foot has been run over, and he's commanding him to stop, which he does as close to immediately as I've ever seen anyone do anything being shouted at them through a car window.

Again, the driver shouldn't have driven off with the officer in such close proximity, but we both know that happens a dozen times a day in NYC. The officer slides in front of the car very late in the game, and in an odd way... that said, after the officer moves in, the fender pushes him back, and the driver moves another foot forward... Clearly the driver should have stopped sooner - I'm not sure if he was able to see that the officer had moved in and was now touching the car - there's a couple seconds between the officer moving in and the car moving where there was an opportunity for things to be different. But the cop is STILL heads-down in his ticket book right up until he steps towards the driver's window, and gets his foot rolled over.

The officer isn't 100% wrong here, but he created the circumstances that put the driver in the car, and put his foot in the path of the car... all before he even looked at the driver.

I'd call it 80% the officer's doing (or failure to do some basic items) that he got his foot run over.

Hauptmann6
08-07-2012, 16:42
Deanster, I agree with you 100%. You just wrote it out before I did.

Rooster Rugburn
08-07-2012, 16:44
What kind of stupid ****** has the money for that car and then doesnt have it registered and then gets himself into that kind of a situation over a minor ticket? Frankly I think that cop deserved to kick his ass a lot more just for his pure stupidity and ******ness.

I'm generally what the cop beejayers would call "cop hater", anti cop, criminally inclined, whatever. And I agree with others that the cop put himself in that position on purpose.

But in my opinion, the cop didn't thump him hard enough. I guess there was a close up intended to show the damage\scratches to the car, but I think the cop should have used a stick on the window, then roughed the punk up more than he did. The cop should have drug his bat belt down the length of the car. To think you are above the law and can run over or at a cop is just insane. He's lucky they didn't kill him for ADW or attempted murder.

The cop certainly wouldn't do that to a tractor trailer.

Anyone know what charges the punk is facing?

PuroMexicano
08-07-2012, 16:49
he put the foot slightly under the tire on purpose, police abuse of power again, hope the guys gives the tape to the driver.

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

even if he did that, the owner is still at fault and he's still going down for Agg Assault

PuroMexicano
08-07-2012, 16:50
Posted by berto; as corrupt as New York City police are the driver could have just haded the cop a twenty and been on his way.just like tipping the doorman

Please tell us all about your firsthand experience with corruption in the NYPD. I am sure that if you are making a statement such as the one above you can back it up.

Oh wait, I forgot, this is the internet where anyone can put himself forth as an expert on any topic with no basis in reality. You should fit that category quite nicely.

What would I know having spent twenty years in the NYPD and having worked in internal affairs?

Please contnue to regale me with your expertise on the corruption in NYPD.

That's what I call a "Full can of STFU" :supergrin:

RC-RAMIE
08-07-2012, 16:51
I'm generally what the cop beejayers would call "cop hater", anti cop, criminally inclined, whatever. And I agree with others that the cop put himself in that position on purpose.

But in my opinion, the cop didn't thump him hard enough. I guess there was a close up intended to show the damage\scratches to the car, but I think the cop should have used a stick on the window, then roughed the punk up more than he did. The cop should have drug his bat belt down the length of the car. To think you are above the law and can run over or at a cop is just insane. He's lucky they didn't kill him for ADW or attempted murder.

The cop certainly wouldn't do that to a tractor trailer.

Anyone know what charges the punk is facing?

Hopefully you're not a cop.

TheExplorer
08-07-2012, 16:56
The car may have been a new oos purchase since 458's are pretty rare, hence no sticker. Obviously you are required to display the paper tag in the rear window, but if you did on this car you couldn't see.

PuroMexicano
08-07-2012, 16:57

I really doubt that.
Every valet parking I've been to, the guy stays AT THE OPEN DOOR of your car for you to get in and get your tip.
If the valet guy was not there and the car was off, I'd bet he had stayed more time than needed thus the reason for getting a ticket.

rahulanand1130
08-07-2012, 17:03
I really doubt that.
Every valet parking I've been to, the guy stays AT THE OPEN DOOR of your car for you to get in and get your tip.
If the valet guy was not there and the car was off, I'd bet he had stayed more time than needed thus the reason for getting a ticket.

Yeah that's usually the case wherever I'd been as well but that was the description given at the website I saw the video...and we all know everything on the Internet is true.

PuroMexicano
08-07-2012, 17:07
Yeah that's usually the case wherever I'd been as well but that was the description given at the website I saw the video...and we all know everything on the Internet is true.

Fo'sho!! :supergrin:

packinaglock
08-07-2012, 17:17

Agreed!

Hauptmann6
08-07-2012, 19:47
The cop could be looking for an on the job injury. Few broken bones in the foot = never being able to walk the beat = fat disability check.

JuneyBooney
08-07-2012, 20:26
AFTER he allowed him to get in the car, start it, and move a few inches. This officer was looking for a confrontation. Far from professional behavior on the officer's part. I agree the driver should have stopped after the command though.

I agree but the officer was looking for a fight and he should have not been a jerk. It will be interesting to see what happens with this case.

KalashniKEV
08-07-2012, 20:42
Hopefully your not a cop.

Hopefully you're not a high school graduate.

:supergrin:

Drain You
08-07-2012, 22:49

:rofl: how true that is.

Officer X
08-08-2012, 00:30
Everyone is looking at an amatuer video, probably shot with a cell phone from several feet away at a different angle and perspective than the officer had to make a determination. There is better video and more angles used to make a call in a football game.

I don't know what possible body language or non verbal cues the officer may or may not have perceived that I cannot see in that video. From his angle, he may have picked up on something which none of us could see.

While I may not stand directly in front of a car like he did, I don't know any functioning adult who would see a uniformed officer standing at their car like that writing up a summons and think it's a good idea to get into the car and start it up, let alone put it in gear and attempt to pull forward.

As far as the experts talking about his injury or lack thereof...I have been in several high stress incidents, even a couple that have resulted in me being injured pretty bad, and from the combination of adrenaline and excitement, have not realized the extent of the injury until well after things calmed down. I have been at literally hundreds of motor vehicle crashes where those involved have been up and walking around, only to find out they are immobolized in the hospital the next day, or in a couple cases, dead. I have read multiple incident reviews and have watched many OIS videos where people suffer fatal injuries but are still able to seriously injure or kill others before they die themselves. FBI Miami shootout? So the fact that his foot was run over and he wasn't immediately on the ground screaming in agony doesn't mean much to me.

This is coming from somebody who has spent much of a nearly 20 year career in patrol, sometime as an investigator in the detective bureau and now also as an IA investigator.

Did this cop handle things the way I would have? Probably not. Do I think he did anything outrageously wrong or would I judge the entire incident on that video? Absolutely not.

BenjiEDF
08-08-2012, 01:19
He deliberately put his foot under the tire, jeez you would have to be blind not to see that!

BenjiEDF
08-08-2012, 01:24
Everyone is looking at an amatuer video, probably shot with a cell phone from several feet away at a different angle and perspective than the officer had to make a determination. There is better video and more angles used to make a call in a football game.

I don't know what possible body language or non verbal cues the officer may or may not have perceived that I cannot see in that video. From his angle, he may have picked up on something which none of us could see.

While I may not stand directly in front of a car like he did, I don't know any functioning adult who would see a uniformed officer standing at their car like that writing up a summons and think it's a good idea to get into the car and start it up, let alone put it in gear and attempt to pull forward.

As far as the experts talking about his injury or lack thereof...I have been in several high stress incidents, even a couple that have resulted in me being injured pretty bad, and from the combination of adrenaline and excitement, have not realized the extent of the injury until well after things calmed down. I have been at literally hundreds of motor vehicle crashes where those involved have been up and walking around, only to find out they are immobolized in the hospital the next day, or in a couple cases, dead. I have read multiple incident reviews and have watched many OIS videos where people suffer fatal injuries but are still able to seriously injure or kill others before they die themselves. FBI Miami shootout? So the fact that his foot was run over and he wasn't immediately on the ground screaming in agony doesn't mean much to me.

This is coming from somebody who has spent much of a nearly 20 year career in patrol, sometime as an investigator in the detective bureau and now also as an IA investigator.

Did this cop handle things the way I would have? Probably not. Do I think he did anything outrageously wrong or would I judge the entire incident on that video? Absolutely not.

:rofl: I hope you are joking, that cop deliberatly wanted the guy to run over his foot. As far as the "amateur video" jeez man Steven Spielberg couldn't have filmed a better video, that was the most obvious thing I've ever seen on a youtube video.

JuneyBooney
08-08-2012, 01:35
He deliberately put his foot under the tire, jeez you would have to be blind not to see that!
It does appear from that video that your statement is correct. I guess we will have to wait and see what comes out in the investigation.

Officer X
08-08-2012, 03:56
:rofl: I hope you are joking, that cop deliberatly wanted the guy to run over his foot. As far as the "amateur video" jeez man Steven Spielberg couldn't have filmed a better video, that was the most obvious thing I've ever seen on a youtube video.

I'm impressed how you are able to ascertain what the officer 'wanted' to happen just by watching that couple minute video. I can also see that you are not familiar at all with studies conducted about different fields of view and peripheral vision. It has been demonstrated that one incident viewed from two different angles can seem entirely different. That video does not depict the incident the way it may have been viewed by the involved parties.

But what do I know? That's only part of some of the schooling I've been through to learn how to be a better investigator, you watch youtube...

NMG26
08-08-2012, 04:17
I'm impressed how you are able to ascertain what the officer 'wanted' to happen just by watching that couple minute video.

That was what he was trained to do.

Stop a car from driving away with his foot.

Oh yeah and

MtBaldy
08-08-2012, 07:25
. The officer's VERY FIRST interaction with the driver is AFTER his foot has been run over, .

Wrong. Watch it again.

seanmac45
08-08-2012, 07:40
Wrong. Watch it again.

Don't waste your breath. Critical observation skills are lacking in the cop haters in this thread.

hamster
08-08-2012, 08:08
Well, executing search warrants on houses with armed felons in them, arresting the people who prey on other people, walking up to cars without knowing if it is an old lady or a dangerous fugitive planing on shooting you, and going undercover with criminals, aren't very smart, either.

Police officers do plenty of heroic things every day. There are countless dedicated officers who do a fantastic job every day all around the world. This video, along with the DEA "I'm the only one professional enough to handle the glock fourty" videos prove that there are a few stooges out there as well.

The stooge in this particular video made at least two very deliberate movements of the foot directly underneath the tire of the car.

He either
a) Very very unlucky
b) So distracted he didn't notice himself putting his foot directly into the path of the car
c) fishing for a disability check.

No question, the driver is in the wrong here. But the flatfoot (pun intended) put himself in the situation by negligence or design.

hamster
08-08-2012, 08:19
Just watched the video again.

Time Index:

0:13 - Officer standing there doing his job toes in safe position.
0:14 - Officer extends his left foot directly into the path of the car, shifting his position. Perhaps as a non-verbal message to the driver?

0:17 - Car engine Revs
0:18 - Officer looks up and sees car moving. His left foot rises slightly off the ground as his natural reaction is to lean back
0:21 - Officer leans over probably talking to idiot driver
0:22 - Officer pulls back his foot and is again standing safely.
0:23 - Officer's left foot makes kicking motion as if to try to stop the car with his foot, or kick the tire, at that point presumably the foot gets stuck.

If you look at that few second sequence... it is clear that though a miscalculation, instinctual move or perhaps intent, the officer put his foot in a position he should have known was a bad place to be.

Idiot driver did have plenty of warning IMO to know not to try to pull away but I don't think he meant to hurt the officer... he didn't pull out tires squealing, he was inching out. He did deserve a beatdown, but it is a very avoidable situation on both parts.

KalashniKEV
08-08-2012, 09:02
I am glad that the greatest city in the world has heroic metermaids such as this gentleman who are willing to put it all on the line- including risking feet and toes- to prevent this sweater criminal from fleeing the scene of a parking.

I hope he gets all the time he needs to recover, 16 years if need be, and never experiences a late disability check, an empty fridge, a missing bottle opener, or television reception less than 720p. This man is a Hero and deserves to be Bloomberg's bodyguard.

As for the sweater criminal, I hope he learns never to exceed the at-curb-maximum parking duration or "just leave it to the valet/help" to take care of things. I hope he has a great time in his cell in Riker's (actually, I think he just might!).

:)

series1811
08-08-2012, 09:32
Police officers do plenty of heroic things every day. There are countless dedicated officers who do a fantastic job every day all around the world. This video, along with the DEA "I'm the only one professional enough to handle the glock fourty" videos prove that there are a few stooges out there as well.

The stooge in this particular video made at least two very deliberate movements of the foot directly underneath the tire of the car.

He either
a) Very very unlucky
b) So distracted he didn't notice himself putting his foot directly into the path of the car

No question, the driver is in the wrong here. But the flatfoot (pun intended) put himself in the situation by negligence or design.

Well, based on when you were in law enforcement, give us some examples of risky things that you did that were justified, versus unjustified, based on the probable benefit versus the personal risk involved.

hamster
08-08-2012, 10:30
Well, based on when you were in law enforcement, give us some examples of risky things that you did that were justified, versus unjustified, based on the probable benefit versus the personal risk involved.

What the hell are you talking about?

Are we still talking about the same subject?

seanmac45
08-08-2012, 10:34
We are. You can't keep up.

series1811
08-08-2012, 10:36
Originally Posted by series1811 Well, executing search warrants on houses with armed felons in them, arresting the people who prey on other people, walking up to cars without knowing if it is an old lady or a dangerous fugitive planing on shooting you, and going undercover with criminals, aren't very smart, either.

Originally Posted by hamster Police officers do plenty of heroic things every day. There are countless dedicated officers who do a fantastic job every day all around the world. This video, along with the DEA "I'm the only one professional enough to handle the glock fourty" videos prove that there are a few stooges out there as well.

He either
a) Very very unlucky

What the hell are you talking about?

Are we still talking about the same subject?

I posted, you posted a reply, I posted a reply to that, you posted a reply that you do not know what we are talking about.

You tell me what just happened.

hamster
08-08-2012, 10:47

I'm not a ferrari driver yet I can comment that it is a bad idea to try to drive off into gridlock traffic while an officer is writing you a citation.

I'm not a police officer, but I can comment that trying to stop a 2500lbs 600bhp car with your pinky toe isn't the greatest strategy in the world.

You see, it is possible to make a comment on an internet board about individuals in a specific situation without that comment applying to everyone who happens to share their demographic or line of work. Nobody here is speaking ill of police, so no need to act like the profession is under fire.

Just as you don't see my comment about the driver as being critical of all Ferrari drivers, my comment about the foot isn't a generalization about all cops. We are talking about a 30 second event in the lives of two individuals. I don't need to have a "tactical experience" to support an opinion like that.

ranger88
08-08-2012, 12:57
Driver probably has diplomatic immunity and could care less what the officer was "ordering". While we're making assumptions from an internet video, I mean. :rofl:

series1811
08-08-2012, 13:14
I'm not a ferrari driver yet I can comment that it is a bad idea to try to drive off into gridlock traffic while an officer is writing you a citation.

I'm not a police officer, but I can comment that trying to stop a 2500lbs 600bhp car with your pinky toe isn't the greatest strategy in the world.

You see, it is possible to make a comment on an internet board about individuals in a specific situation without that comment applying to everyone who happens to share their demographic or line of work. Nobody here is speaking ill of police, so no need to act like the profession is under fire.

Just as you don't see my comment about the driver as being critical of all Ferrari drivers, my comment about the foot isn't a generalization about all cops. We are talking about a 30 second event in the lives of two individuals. I don't need to have a "tactical experience" to support an opinion like that.

No, I just like to know the experience a person is basing his opinion on. It doesn't matter to some people, but I use it to judge the credibility and validity of a person's opinion whom I don't know.

But, if as you say, you don't have any basis of experience in the area of your opinion, that is okay. No law against that (and there would be a lot less internet if it were). :)

seanmac45
08-08-2012, 13:23

hamster
08-08-2012, 13:59
No, I just like to know the experience a person is basing his opinion on. It doesn't matter to some people, but I use it to judge the credibility and validity of a person's opinion whom I don't know.

I don't have any experience with traffic citation strategy, but I have had plenty of large heavy objects, land on, slide over and roll over my 10 toes to know to keep them away from the business end of a tire.

I don't know if that counts as credibility. If not thats fine to. :wavey:

series1811
08-08-2012, 14:10
I don't have any experience with traffic citation strategy, but I have had plenty of large heavy objects, land on, slide over and roll over my 10 toes to know to keep them away from the business end of a tire.

I don't know if that counts as credibility. If not thats fine to. :wavey:

It had to happen more than once? Interesting. :wow:

seanmac45
08-08-2012, 14:16
So he must be seeking a confrontation with those objects considering the fact that he constantly places his feet in their path.

I mean if we are following his expert opinion and all................................

Jes' sayin'

itsnitro
08-08-2012, 15:13
They exchanged some words prior to the driver entering his vehicle along with the office shaking his head no. When the driver would inch forward each time the officer looked at the driver (seemed they both made eye contact with one another) and said something to him along with pointing at him and telling him to stop prior to running over the cops foot. IMO The driver knew he wasn't allowed to leave prior to running over the cops foot as he had to stop after he technically hit the cop once already.

pspez
08-11-2012, 20:30

Absolutely Right!

DanaT
08-12-2012, 11:20
I agree but the officer was looking for a fight and he should have not been a jerk. It will be interesting to see what happens with this case.

My bet is when the drivers lawyer gets involved that NYPD pays for damage to car and officer is disciplined. They will probably pay for some of the drivers injuries.

People that buy cars like that can afford good lawyers and are generally well connected. People with lots if money hire lawyers to ensure they win.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

DanaT
08-12-2012, 11:24

I have not driven a 458. I have driven a friends F430. You can't see well out of them. Parking them is scary. Everything you know is low but you see no corners. They are made see a road ahead you; not made to see the curb you are parking next to.

Golddog
08-12-2012, 12:24
Over-privileged 1%er (or the brat-child of a 1%er) tries to bull his way over a working stiff just doing his job - an important job, unless you think parking laws in big cities are insignificant. And if you do think so, the way to register your disagreement is through the legislature, not by assaulting a police officer.

Assault and refusing to obey a lawful LEO's request ought to net Mr. Ferrari some time in a place less pleasant than his mansion.

Sporaticus
08-12-2012, 12:38
The cop could be looking for an on the job injury. Few broken bones in the foot = never being able to walk the beat = fat disability check.

I hadn't considered that perspective.

It's funny to see the ________ who think the poor little "public servant" didn't know his foot was in front of that tire. But, he went home safe.

That said, I wouldn't mind seeing them give him the "Rodney King", as they call it. He's lucky they let him live. I guess cops are getting used to cameras being all over the place.

Sporaticus
08-12-2012, 12:44
Over-privileged 1%er (or the brat-child of a 1%er) tries to bull his way over a working stiff just doing his job - an important job, unless you think parking laws in big cities are insignificant. And if you do think so, the way to register your disagreement is through the legislature, not by assaulting a police officer.

Assault and refusing to obey a lawful LEO's request ought to net Mr. Ferrari some time in a place less pleasant than his mansion.

You sound like a union worker.

I wouldn't call him "over-privileged", any more than I would call the poor "under-privileged". People who attain wealth do it through work or talent. People who attain poverty do so through not working. Even if his wealth is handed down, it was earned by someone in his family. We should all hope to do that well.

I would call him a brat through.

The cop is not a poor working stiff. He knew exactly what he was doing, and the potential consequences.

Why didn't the officer stand in front of the car, instead of just sticking his foot in front of the wheel? Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

NMG26
08-12-2012, 14:03
:stop::rofl:

DanaT
08-12-2012, 14:10

I am not sure sure your are correct. Could you maybe point to just one single example of this.:rofl:

Rabbi
08-12-2012, 16:48

Being a prick doesnt know an economic class. It is a condition that can afflict anyone. Including people who assume those "with" must be pricks because they have. Just a thought.

If we actually look at the statistics it is obvious that the less money someone has the more likely they are to be a criminal.

Of course anothing interesting tidbit is, some cops are also "1%ers."

DanaT
08-13-2012, 00:54
Being a prick doesnt know an economic class. It is a condition that can afflict anyone. Including people who assume those "with" must be pricks because they have. Just a thought.

If we actually look at the statistics it is obvious that the less money someone has the more likely they are to be a criminal.

Personally I saw two pricks. The situation was handled poorly by both parties.

I would say mr Ferrari pretty much knew what was going on (even if the valet issue is true). Mr officer never communicated until it escalated. Mr officer wanted to show me Ferrari how big his wanker was by writing him a ticket. Mr Ferrari wanted to show how big his wanker was by just driving off.

This was a wanker comparison contest. You can't fire a citizen from being a citizen for poor judgement of a wanker measuring contest. You fire the officer. No matter if the officer was within the law, what I saw was unprofessional handling of a situation that caused it escalate and cause injury. It was poor judgement. I would not have someone with that poor if judgement working for me.

NMG26
08-13-2012, 04:18
No matter if the officer was within the law, what I saw was unprofessional handling of a situation that caused it escalate and cause injury. It was poor judgement. I would not have someone with that poor if judgement working for me.

Not to mention he beat the snot out of the guy on camera. Duh.

I don't know. Maybe just anger management.

Hate to see anyone loose their job.

series1811
08-13-2012, 05:38
My bet is when the drivers lawyer gets involved that NYPD pays for damage to car and officer is disciplined. They will probably pay for some of the drivers injuries.

People that buy cars like that can afford good lawyers and are generally well connected. People with lots if money hire lawyers to ensure they win.

Really? What would the cause of action be?

This may come as news. But, if the police got sued and lost, every time they had to use force in an enforcement action, no government could afford a police force.

I've lost count of how many times I got sued. The one time I lost, was when I told the government lawyer that I thought I was wrong, and we probably should pay some money out, in a mistaken identity arrest I made. It was a very unusual set of circumstances and I don't think we would have lost if we had gone to trial, but I thought the person deserved some compensation for what had happened.

Every other time, the suit didn't even make it past the first motions.

This shocks many people, but the government has a lot of really good lawyers, too. Many of whom could practice in any high dollar law firm, but just like the work they get to do with the government, the same as with many police.

Spiffums
08-13-2012, 05:39
It's NYC..........THERE ARE NO RULEZ IN DA URBAN JUNGLE!!

frizz
08-13-2012, 06:50
that he was. But the officer clearly knew the outcome when he put his foot purposefully in front of the tire. That shows arrogance on his part as well. kind of a "you dont want a ticket, im gonna give you much more" mentality.
Regardless of the idiocy of the cop, the driver still bumped the cop's hip.

I hope he other prisoners give him a female name and force him to sit when he pees.

certifiedfunds
08-13-2012, 07:01
Regardless of the idiocy of the cop, the driver still bumped the cop's hip.

I hope he other prisoners give him a female name and force him to sit when he pees.

I suspect if the guy was driving an 8 year old Camry you wouldn't wish him such misfortune.

hamster
08-13-2012, 11:02
It had to happen more than once? Interesting. :wow:

So he must be seeking a confrontation with those objects considering the fact that he constantly places his feet in their path.

I mean if we are following his expert opinion and all................................

Jes' sayin'

Nah, you are both right. It would be incredibly stupid for a grown adult to manage to get their foot run over by a 3274lbs object moving 2 mph. Nevermind.

TBO
08-13-2012, 13:52
Still waiting on:

Veteran poster to cite statute/code that makes it illegal for the Cop to stand there.
Poster to specify how/why the Officer should be fired.

DanaT
08-13-2012, 13:59
Still waiting on:

[COLOR=Black] Poster to specify how/why the Officer should be fired.
[/LIST]

Why: Non-professional conduct. How: Here is your final check your services are no longer needed.

series1811
08-13-2012, 14:06
Why: Non-professional conduct. How: Here is your final check your services are no longer needed.

People should hope they never get the police department they often seem to want.

Police: "Stop."
Criminal: "No."
Police: "Okay."

Yeah, I think that would work. :whistling:

TBO
08-13-2012, 14:11

Are you familiar with Progressive Discipline?

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2

DanaT
08-13-2012, 14:18
Are you familiar with Progressive Discipline?

Yes..

KalashniKEV
08-13-2012, 14:24

http://files.dsng.net/images/shaq_police.jpg

http://www.newsnet14.com/images/Steven-Seagal-Police-Officers-Uniform.jpg

TBO
08-13-2012, 14:32
Yes..

Please substantiate your position taking into count Progressive Discipline.

Thank you

Rabbi
08-13-2012, 14:35

http://files.dsng.net/images/shaq_police.jpg

http://www.newsnet14.com/images/Steven-Seagal-Police-Officers-Uniform.jpg

Yes, both of them.

I think most people would be surprised how many people of significant means become Cops. I have no doubt that it is a huge statistical overrepresentation.

By the very nature of the math 1% means the top 1% of wealth. I would be very comfortable stating that 2-3% of Cops are 1%ers. Which means that in Law Enforcement, 1%ers are over represented by 100% or more. Keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, there is not a single cop job in the entire nation, on any level, that pays a 1%er salary. (close to 400K or more)

To put that into hard numbers, there are about 800,000 cops in the entire country at every level. If 2% are 1%ers that would be 16,000 cops that are 1%ers. I think this is a very fair and conservative guess. So you have at least 16,000 "rich" cops.

seanmac45
08-13-2012, 14:36

Thank you

He can't because he doesn't have a clue.

But that won't stop him from posting his nonsensical opinion.

TBO
08-13-2012, 15:25
True, but it will cause him to run away and hope the thread sinks off the radar.

series1811
08-13-2012, 15:33
Yes, both of them.

I think most people would be surprised how many people of significant means become Cops. I have no doubt that it is a huge statistical overrepresentation.

By the very nature of the math 1% means the top 1% of wealth. I would be very comfortable stating that 2-3% of Cops are 1%ers. Which means that in Law Enforcement, 1%ers are over represented by 100% or more. Keep in mind, to the best of my knowledge, there is not a single cop job in the entire nation, on any level, that pays a 1%er salary. (close to 400K or more)

To put that into hard numbers, there are about 800,000 cops in the entire country at every level. If 2% are 1%ers that would be 16,000 cops that are 1%ers. I think this is a very fair and conservative guess. So you have at least 16,000 "rich" cops.

I know one who is a multi-millionaire, and was that way when he hired on ten years ago. He also has master degree in law. He just likes the job.

DanaT
08-13-2012, 15:34

Thank you

I think you must not have read my post.

My response was:

Here is your last check, your services are no longer needed.

I said nothing about discipline. It was "your services are no longer needed".

I believe in a concept called "employment at will". The means that either party is free to end an employment arrangement for good cause, bad cause, or no cause as they see fit. Many economists believe that employment at will is one of the reason why the American economy is as strong as it is and we have an entrepreneur friendly environment.

DanaT
08-13-2012, 15:36
True, but it will cause him to run away and hope the thread sinks off the radar.

Or...it could be that its 23:30 and bed time.....

TBO
08-13-2012, 15:42
You've heard the term "Progressive Discipline", but do you fully understand it?

DanaT
08-13-2012, 15:46

You have heard the term employment at will, but do you fully understand it?

TBO
08-13-2012, 15:50
The Department that is the subject of this thread uses Progressive Discipline. If you're not knowledgeable or qualified to discuss /articulate it, just say so. No shame in that.

Respectfully

DanaT
08-13-2012, 15:52

In general it is a scheme used to to make it appear as an employer wants to work with an employee so that non-conforming behaviors are address and the employee can be a productive employee that meets employment expectations. In reality, these "performance plans" are advice given by HR to fully document issues with an employee to isolate the employer from possible EEOC claims. It is generally used as a documentation trail to terminate employee.

This documentation process is necessary because the court system and EEOC has bastardized the employee agreements between employees and employers.

TBO
08-13-2012, 15:54
How much experience have you in working directly with it?

Gallium
08-13-2012, 16:11
Or...it could be that its 23:30 and bed time.....

Where are you Dana?

Officer X
08-13-2012, 17:27

What was done that was "non-professional"?

I'm wondering as I'm a Lieutenant in charge of my department's Professional Standards Unit. I'm also in charge of training and the lead use of force instructor.

For any one incident, there may be a half dozen ways to handle it. Just because someone does it in a way that I may not, does not make it wrong, illegal or unprofessional.

The mindset you're displaying and subjective interpretation is exactly why so many police officers are adopting the "smile and wave" style of policing and trying to get through their shifts getting involved in as little as they have to.

Gallium
08-13-2012, 19:41
What happens when you run over an NYPD officers foot? (http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1436206)

A multi page thread on GT, going over 100+ posts. :tbo:

Rabbi
08-13-2012, 21:16
I know one who is a multi-millionaire, and was that way when he hired on ten years ago. He also has master degree in law. He just likes the job.

Yep.

No amount of money in the world can "buy" the experience of actually being a real LEO. It is one of those things you either are (or have been) or you are not and never were.

It is like some jobs in the Military. You either are or you arent. Money cant over come that (nor does it stop you if you want it)

Just because someone is wealthy doesnt mean they dont still have dreams...high speed dreams. I know of no way to simulate the experience of being a cop (or again, some military jobs) other than to do them. And if it is in your blood, money cant change that either.

DanaT
08-14-2012, 00:15
Where are you Dana?

It is 08:15 now. CET.

Why is everyone running.

TBO
08-14-2012, 00:17
Pee break.

DanaT
08-14-2012, 02:57
How much experience have you in working directly with it?

The short answer is at the last job I had in the USA, slightly more than 1/3 of a medical device company reported to me.

Most of time when progressive discipline was used it was pre-determined that the employee was leaving and the plan was written knowing the employee couldn't fulfill conditions.

There were also times that even we used performance plans (read what you re calling progressive discipline with ever increasing penalties for not meeting performance expectations...btw the current lingo is generally performance expectation plans as "discipline" to the HR world is negative) were completely skipped and several employees were fired on the spot (actually it generally took 3 to 4 hours while paperwork an checks generated...however after these were complete the employee was notified..so effectively on the spot).

When people were terminated immediately, it was generally because of poor judgement and not mistakes. As an example one technician I fired immediately because of damaged hybrids in implants. He dropped a metal fixture on open implants and damaged few (this was a mistake). There was about $75k worth of scrap because of that error. He decided to hide the mistake and not report that it happened and moved the product on to be sealed shut. Then we discovered we had random implants not responding. We probably spent $50k in engineering time trouble shooting (ie opening titanium cases to get to the hybrid). Only to find out something had been dropped on the hybrids and damaged them. The tech was fired immediately. He was not fired for dropping something. That was a mistake. He was fired for the unprofessional conduct of trying to hide the mistake.

Of the people I let go, no person was ever let go for mistakes. That indicated poor training on the part of management. The ones that were let go always had that they intentionally did something wrong (eg not following written build instructions and taking a short cut).

What I see with that video is that cop didn't make a mistake, he intentionally let the situation escalate to the point it was out of control. I am not giving mr Ferrari a free pass. He was a total prick and also escalated it. This incident appears that two bone heads caused the incident. It's the knowingly allowing the situation to escalate and I would dare to say the lack of verbal communication on the part of the officer, as well as intentionally putting his foot in front of the tire, shows me intentional non professional conduct.

For you cop lovers, if you only see one moron (mr Ferrari) it's that your world view is blinding you to the fact that there were two morons in this incident that were playing a wiener measuring contest.

brisk21
08-14-2012, 09:35
Looks like the title of the story is "two idiots meet in New York City".

series1811
08-14-2012, 12:43
Yep.

No amount of money in the world can "buy" the experience of actually being a real LEO. It is one of those things you either are (or have been) or you are not and never were.

It is like some jobs in the Military. You either are or you arent. Money cant over come that (nor does it stop you if you want it)

Just because someone is wealthy doesnt mean they dont still have dreams...high speed dreams. I know of no way to simulate the experience of being a cop (or again, some military jobs) other than to do them. And if it is in your blood, money cant change that either.

I'm in a much lower speed LE job than I was before, and I was telling my boss how much I miss getting to knock a door down and go in to bag somebody now and then. Adrenalin is a hell of a drug. :supergrin:

Glocksanity
08-14-2012, 13:09
The Department that is the subject of this thread uses Progressive Discipline. If you're not knowledgeable or qualified to discuss /articulate it, just say so. No shame in that.

Respectfully

I am not familiar with Progressive Discipline. Is this an example of it?

http://youtu.be/oUkiyBVytRQ

rockapede
08-14-2012, 13:20
I am not familiar with Progressive Discipline. Is this an example of it?

http://youtu.be/oUkiyBVytRQ

Tangent much? This is totally irrelevant to this thread. Furthermore, even if it wasn't, the lack of context in that video is staggering. Why would two cops pick on one guy when they left so many others alone? I mean, I know the answer is because they're all brutal, moronic thugs, but for argument's sake could we at least consider the possibility that there's more to that story?

Kilrain
08-14-2012, 13:54
For you cop lovers, if you only see one moron (mr Ferrari) it's that your world view is blinding you to the fact that there were two morons in this incident that were playing a wiener measuring contest.

:upeyes:

In other words, only your opinion of what occurred in the video is correct and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "blind."

The irony of your words is staggering........

Glocksanity
08-14-2012, 14:32
Tangent much? This is totally irrelevant to this thread. Furthermore, even if it wasn't, the lack of context in that video is staggering. Why would two cops pick on one guy when they left so many others alone? I mean, I know the answer is because they're all brutal, moronic thugs, but for argument's sake could we at least consider the possibility that there's more to that story?

I was just asking a simple question.

TBO
08-14-2012, 17:40
I was just asking a simple question.No you weren't, you were trolling/flaming.
If that's all you have, be a bigger person and move on.

Gallium
08-14-2012, 17:55
It is 08:15 now. CET.

Why is everyone running.

Huh. I was in the Singen area yesterday. Nice area to visit. Then took a long assed drive into (white) wine country. :)

Gallium
08-14-2012, 17:59
I was just asking a simple question.

How do you ask a "simple" question with such a loaded video?

No quibbles, the cop in that video is an idiot, despite what any might say in his defense, but yours was not just a simple question. To defend that you would have to assume this forum and/or this thread is filled with idiots, and that would be a false assumption.

TBO
08-16-2012, 16:59
Interestingly enough, my right big toe is sore today.

Sent from the toe of my jack boots using Tapatalk 2.

rockapede
08-16-2012, 17:50
Interestingly enough, my right big toe is sore today.

Sent from the toe of my jack boots using Tapatalk 2.

You don't have the armored toe jack boots? They're awesome. They're big and black with little spikes sticking out of the steel toe, perfect for my daily brutality fix.

DanaT
08-17-2012, 08:25
Huh. I was in the Singen area yesterday. Nice area to visit. Then took a long assed drive into (white) wine country. :)

Mosel or Baden? Depends what white wine you are talking about.

DanaT
08-17-2012, 08:33
:upeyes:

In other words, only your opinion of what occurred in the video is correct and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "blind."

The irony of your words is staggering........

No. Blind would be saying that the cop was wrong because I know citizens are right and refusing to look at the situation as a while.

For example until it really escalated there was no verbal communication from the cop. Maybe he wasn't writing a citation but filling out he lunch order. It is assumed that the guy knew what the cop wanted but you one could argue that maybe the guy really was stupid and didn't know what was going on.

But looking at it, a "reasonable person" would likely say the cop is writing a citation. Now was he writing a citation for the car he was standing next to or maybe the one in front of that so he could see the license plate? The cop assumed that mr Ferrari knew.

However when it was obvious that mr Ferrari was showing signs of miscomprehension of the situation the cop should have used his word long before his foot was run over. I think toddlers are even taught "use your words".

One idiot either was really stupid or was playing stupid. The other idiot failed to use his words to explain the situation to other said idiot.

So, no I am not blind.

Kilrain
08-17-2012, 08:43
So, no I am not blind.

You could have saved a lot of typing and simply said this, as it distills your point of view down perfectly. As I previously noted, your assertion is that your take on the situation is the only true and correct one and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "blind."

It is ironic that your idea of calling people that don't agree with you "blind" can be used just as effectively by anyone else..........

:wavey:

TBO
08-17-2012, 11:18
/] end

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2.

DanaT
08-17-2012, 11:21
You could have saved a lot of typing and simply said this, as it distills your point of view down perfectly. As I previously noted, your assertion is that your take on the situation is the only true and correct one and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "blind."

It is ironic that your idea of calling people that don't agree with you "blind" can be used just as effectively by anyone else..........

:wavey:

No, no. You dont get it.

I am right.

Evryone else, especially those who disagree with me fall into a few categories.

- Mentally Retarded
- Blind
- Wrong
- Ignorant
- Uneducated
- Unsophisticated
- Liberal (left wing)
- Nazi (right wing)
- Racist
- Too rich
- Too poor

I think I covered all possible GT problems..

DanaT
08-17-2012, 11:22
/] end

Sent from the toe of my jack boot using Tapatalk 2.

Have you applied for a patent on a Jackboot that can post the interwebz? It seems like a novel and unique concept.:tongueout:

DanaT
08-17-2012, 11:24
Y As I previously noted, your assertion is that your take on the situation is the only true and correct one and anyone that doesn't agree with you is "blind."

No, no.

Most people who disagree with me are just stupid...unless they are paying me enough..and then they are brilliant

Gallium
08-17-2012, 11:29
Mosel or Baden? Depends what white wine you are talking about.

My preferred refreshment consists of

- two shots of Hydrogen,
- bonded to one shot of Oxygen
- in a covalent bond, 137.5 degrees on the Oxygen atom.

Outside of that, my eyes glass over pdq!

DanaT
08-17-2012, 11:31

- two shots of Hydrogen,

Mine has mostly been like that...just diluted with some CH3CH2OH

DanaT
08-17-2012, 11:32

- two shots of Hydrogen,

You still in DE?

Kilrain
08-17-2012, 12:27
No, no. You dont get it.

I am right.

Evryone else, especially those who disagree with me fall into a few categories.

- Mentally Retarded
- Blind
- Wrong
- Ignorant
- Uneducated
- Unsophisticated
- Liberal (left wing)
- Nazi (right wing)
- Racist
- Too rich
- Too poor

I think I covered all possible GT problems..

Nice.......at least the "blindness" you speak of hasn't made me miss your (apparent) self-deprecating humor.

DanaT
08-17-2012, 12:57
Nice.......at least the "blindness" you speak of hasn't made me miss your (apparent) self-deprecating humor.

Don't take me too seriously...

If you said the sky was blue...I would argue it was red because of the IR wavelengths....

Kilrain
08-17-2012, 13:14
Don't take me too seriously...

If you said the sky was blue...I would argue it was red because of the IR wavelengths....

I understand and don't, hence my reference to self-deprecating. It's not the real world after all, it's only the interwebs....

TheExplorer
12-13-2012, 21:16
Just saw this update...

Cop Whose Foot Was Run Over By Ferrari Arrested For DWI Updated November 12, 2012 11:52am

November 12, 2012 11:52am | By Paul DeBenedetto (http://www.dnainfo.com/about-us/our-team//paul-debenedetto), DNAinfo Reporter/Producer
Comments (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121112/new-york-city/cop-whose-foot-was-run-over-by-ferrari-arrested-for-dwi#comments)share (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121112/new-york-city/cop-whose-foot-was-run-over-by-ferrari-arrested-for-dwi#)print (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121112/new-york-city/cop-whose-foot-was-run-over-by-ferrari-arrested-for-dwi#)
http://cloud.dnainfo.com/static/set/default/img/fb_recommend.jpg (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121112/new-york-city/cop-whose-foot-was-run-over-by-ferrari-arrested-for-dwi#)

http://cloud.dnainfo.com/static/set/default/img/common/play_video.png http://assets.dnainfo.com/generated/video/2012/08/1344195397.mp4/image320x240.jpg http://cloud.dnainfo.com/static/set/default/img/story/video_play.png (YouTube/Damrys7)

NEW YORK CITY — A police officer who previously sued the boyfriend of a The Hills (http://www.mtv.com/shows/the_hills/season_6/series.jhtml) star for running over his foot was arrested on Saturday for driving while intoxicated, police said.
Felix Recio, 32, was arrested on Saturday morning for driving drunk in Queens, police said.
Recio was off duty at the time of the arrest, police said.
In August, Recio filed a lawsuit against Julien Chabbott, 28, a Vassar College grad and boyfriend of Hills star Stephanie Pratt, after a video surfaced of Chabbott running over Recio's foot (http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120805/manhattan/video-ferrari-runs-over-cops-foot-soho).
Felony charges against Chabbott were dropped in October, and he now faces two misdeameanor charges, according to the Daily News (http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-10-23/news/34686546_1_stephanie-pratt-felony-boyfriend).
Recio sued Chabbott for $10 million in August, according to a report in the (http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/ferrari_mauls_foot_cop_sues_qG5AnI8FgDj7kRSVHafTXK)Post (http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/ferrari_mauls_foot_cop_sues_qG5AnI8FgDj7kRSVHafTXK). The status of that case was not immediately clear.
The incident was the first of two DWI arrests against NYPD officers in the last three days.
Early Monday morning, off-duty officer and former marine Ismile Althaibani, 29, was arrested after allegedly driving drunk and getting involved in a car accident in Queens, according to police.
Althaibani refused to take a breath test after being taken to an undisclosed hospital, police said.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20121112/new-york-city/cop-whose-foot-was-run-over-by-ferrari-arrested-for-dwi#ixzz2EzqKpil4

certifiedfunds
12-13-2012, 21:32
Refused the breathalyzer too. Nice.

Altaris
12-13-2012, 21:37
So does that mean everyone who called the officer a moron for his actions were justified in questioning his thinking ability?

TheExplorer
12-13-2012, 21:40
Hmm, he stuck his foot in front of a moving car, sued for 10 million, and got arrested for DWI. Kinda speaks for itself.

TBO
12-13-2012, 21:40
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/TheeBadOne/TBO/93655SxBW_w.jpg

gjk5
12-13-2012, 21:55
any opinion I had of this was settled when I saw the "sued for $10M".

DOOSH!

JuneyBooney
12-14-2012, 01:06
He prove3d he was an idiot when standing with his foot under the car. :wavey: This just proves it.

The Maggy
12-14-2012, 01:52
holy old thread revive, Batman!

TheExplorer
12-14-2012, 07:23
holy old thread revive, Batman!

Did you miss post #185?

KommieforniaGlocker
12-14-2012, 07:45
I have no idea why anyone :dunno:would run over the cops foot If you can afford that car then a simple parking ticket is a cup of coffee:dunno:

its more so principal, alot of ego maniacs have a personality flaw where everything is perceived as an attack on themselves. IE: "No one does that to me" kind of mentality