Cops views on your RKBA [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cops views on your RKBA

Sam Spade
08-06-2012, 19:10
Strong protection of the constitutional right to the licensed carry of handguns for lawful self-defense does not interfere with police efficacy in cracking down on illegal gun carrying.
Data from law enforcement agencies shows that persons with carry permits are far more law-abiding than the general population. Assertions that licensed carry harms public safety are based on false data from a gun prohibition group.
The case can be resolved without need for a standard of review, because the near-complete suppression of an enumerated constitutional right can never be constitutional.
Maryland law, like the laws of states which generally comply with the Second Amendment, leaves ample discretion for denial of permits to unsuitable applicants, and allows denials for many reasons other than felony conviction.
Upholding the decision of the district court would be consistent with precedent in other states protecting the constitutional right to bear arms.

That's an exerpt from a brief filed in Federal Court by the International Assn of LE Firearms Instructors, of which I'm a member, and the International LE Educators and Trainers Assn. The brief was filed against MD and their appeal of the shall issue decision that Alan Gura (him again!) won. More information from our lawyer here:
http://www.volokh.com/2012/08/06/amicus-brief-in-woollard-v-gallagher-maryland-right-to-bear-arms-case/#disqus_thread

Just wanted people to see where working cops stood, and that they actually do speak out when it counts.

cowboywannabe
08-06-2012, 19:34
working cops are just one step from being plumbers, mechanics, et cetera themselves; and know the RKBA is dear to our freedom. its the union mooks and politically appointed sacks that spout anti RKBA garbage.

janice6
08-06-2012, 19:57
It's good to have the support of another group that fights for personal safety, rights and liberties. thank you.

Brucev
08-06-2012, 20:56
Re: OP. Thank you for this post.

series1811
08-07-2012, 06:26
working cops are just one step from being plumbers, mechanics, et cetera themselves; and know the RKBA is dear to our freedom. its the union mooks and politically appointed sacks that spout anti RKBA garbage.

Exactly. Plumbers, mechanics, etc. who need an adrenalin fix every day. :supergrin:

That really is about it. For me, anyway. Most are either gun nuts, or could care less about guns and people having them.

In my entire career, I have arrested like two people with carry permits and guns, versus several thousand with guns and felony records (and could only get felon with a gun prosecutions in about five per cent or less of those). More gun laws are not the answer.

More good, normal, law abiding people carrying guns, who know how and when to use them, is the answer.

Booker
08-07-2012, 10:07
Strong protection of the constitutional right to the licensed carry

Fail!

DonGlock26
08-07-2012, 11:46
I've always supported RKBA.

_