How much ammo do you have? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much ammo do you have?

Warp
08-06-2012, 20:08
Topic ^. How much ammo do you have? How much do you want (semi-realistically)? Exact numbers definitely not necessary, but order of magnitude/approximation would be appreciated.

"More than I need, not nearly as much as I want" is assumed, no real use posting that.

LG1, you are exempt from this.

I haven't really had any idea how much ammo I had for awhile now. I finally picked up a calculator and walked around the house + checked my index cards and got an approximated guestimate. It wasn't as much as I was hoping. I guess I shoot too much of it.

I'm at ~16,000 rounds of centerfire and ~20,000 rounds of .22lr. Or something like that. Thought I had more. :sad: And I'm going through it pretty quickly now, and will go through a good bit the remainder of this season. And I don't plan on buying much more for awhile now.

Obviously this isn't a "how many rounds do you need to make it through SHTF". For me it isn't even "how many rounds do you need for TEOTWAWKI". I'm sure I have more ammo than I could use before succumbing to enemy fire, disease, infection, whatever.

This is more about being able to continue shooting even if ammo gets very expensive, regulated, hard to acquire, etc.

Asked another way: How many years worth of ammo do you think you have, given normal shooting/practice/training??

mac66
08-06-2012, 20:15
I heard someone say to think about how much you need and then double that. Think about it again and then double that and you are half way there.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-06-2012, 20:18
2 bullets, 1 shot shell. I believe in the three gun theory of home defense.

Walk Soft
08-06-2012, 20:20
I bought nine cases of 115gr.9mm last year.Just ordered two more.Right now I have none.I try to stock up but can't.Same goes for 5.56.

JohnnyReb
08-06-2012, 20:28
Probably 3,000 center fire pistol, 2,500 rifle, 1,000 shotshells, and 2,000 22lr.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TheExplorer
08-06-2012, 20:29
I treat it like caulk. I buy it when I need it. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon that I need to panic.

Warp
08-06-2012, 20:33
I treat it like caulk. I buy it when I need it. Neither are going anywhere anytime soon that I need to panic.

You must not have needed any "caulk" about 3 years ago.

Walk Soft
08-06-2012, 20:34
You must not have needed any "caulk" about 3 years ago.

:rofl:

simotek
I have maybe 2k of center fire on hand now. No where near enough. I need to buy some more and get into reloading. I'd like to have at least 10k rounds of every caliber I shoot on hand. I probably get through 6-8k a year depending on my shooting schedule.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

thesurefire
Compared to most I have very little ammo. That said I think I have enough to last me till the day I die if needed. Hopefully I'll continue to shoot regularly and can just replace what I use up.

I'm really considering adding a couple pellet rifles to train people on just for the ammo price.

janice6
08-06-2012, 20:35
Not enough, never enough, need more........never enough!

Exactly how much, is irrelevant.

Warp
08-06-2012, 20:36
Compared to most I have very little ammo. That said I think I have enough to last me till the day I die if needed. Hopefully I'll continue to shoot regularly and can just replace what I use up.

I'm really considering adding a couple pellet rifles to train people on just for the ammo price.

Bulk .22lr is so inexpensive though. Great for new shooters and getting inexpensive practice in.

Warp
08-06-2012, 20:39
Reloading: Partial points for having every last supply (and of course equipment) necessary to load a certain number of rounds. Counts less than completed ammo, though, because it takes time and effort by the right person to make it usable and there is a lot more room for unforeseen events to get in the way of reloading ammo than of opening an ammo can to get what you need.

I am just getting into reloading but did not count my components, which would be thousands of rounds. (bullets the limiting factor there ATM)

John Rambo
08-06-2012, 20:40
Bulk .22lr is so inexpensive though. Great for new shooters and getting inexpensive practice in.

Inexpensive? Its more expensive than its ever been! I used to pick up bricks for like 6 dollars at Walmart. Sure wish I would've stockpiled on ammo before now. I mean stockpiled. Not because I want to stockpile them...because that would have been one hell of a business investment.

Warp
08-06-2012, 20:41
Inexpensive? Its more expensive than its ever been! I used to pick up bricks for like 6 dollars at Walmart. Sure wish I would've stockpiled on ammo before now. I mean stockpiled. Not because I want to stockpile them...because that would have been one hell of a business investment.

Yes, it is more expensive than ever. But a single brick that's what, on the order of $20 (or less? Haven't bought it in awhile) will go a full weekend at an Appleseed.

~$20 for 500+ rounds...that is inexpensive.

The 5.56 I just bought...$20 gets about 60 rounds.

RWBlue
08-06-2012, 21:43
I look at it like this...

500 rounds of premium JHP for pistol will probably last me a lifetime (i.e. If I have to use it to defend myself I will never live long enough to use it up.)

I figure one battle load for the rifle will do me also. (lets say 300 rounds)

Now for practice. I decided on 10K of ammo for each rifle as a stopping point.

Warp
08-06-2012, 21:53
I look at it like this...

500 rounds of premium JHP for pistol will probably last me a lifetime (i.e. If I have to use it to defend myself I will never live long enough to use it up.)

I figure one battle load for the rifle will do me also. (lets say 300 rounds)

But what about rotating your carry ammo every X period of time?

Maybe replacing your carry gun, or a part or parts within your carry gun, and wishing to re-test it's reliability with the JHP?

Adding guns to your carry rotation and testing them with the JHP?

RWBlue
08-06-2012, 22:22
But what about rotating your carry ammo every X period of time?

Maybe replacing your carry gun, or a part or parts within your carry gun, and wishing to re-test it's reliability with the JHP?

Adding guns to your carry rotation and testing them with the JHP?

First off, I don't really use that much of the premium ammo.

Israeli carry method means that round 1 doesn't get chambered and unchambered that often. If I had a gun that I was not comfortable using Israeli carry....I would probably leave it loaded all the time.

I developed a testing methodology that doesn't use that much ammo.

Additionally, I bought more than 500 rounds for pistol and 300 rounds of rifle. That is just my minimal amount to keep on hand.
If/when I ever get short on my SHTF pile, there will more than likely be a better premium ammo.

I am also not thinking just one cartridge. I like 9mm and 45. I like 7.62x39 and 5.56 and 308 and 30-06 and ...

If you are trying to go cheap, the minimum could be a full battle load of premium. Then what ever you need to practice and test. You will probably not run out of premium ammo and still be standing.

I will add something else to the conversation. I reload. I reload cheap platted bullets for my hand guns. These cheap PHP bullets are not bad in gel.

I have been shot before. It sucks. Getting shot in a SHTF is going to suck worse. I would rather avoid a fight if I can. I am sure the bad guys would rather find someone who isn't going to shoot back.

lawman800
08-07-2012, 01:15
Don't have anything on accurate count of totals... but for the main calibers, I would say more than 3-4k of 5.56mm and maybe half that in 9mm. The rest, say like 00 buck or slugs, or birdshot or 45cal or other rounds, anywhere from a few hundred to a thousand each.

I know, I know... I am ill prepared and will die within two hours in any firefight which I find myself in when the time comes.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-07-2012, 06:38
Yes, it is more expensive than ever. But a single brick that's what, on the order of $20 (or less? Haven't bought it in awhile) will go a full weekend at an Appleseed.

~$20 for 500+ rounds...that is inexpensive.

The 5.56 I just bought...$20 gets about 60 rounds.

My guess is, that when YOU get older, you will look back when the newer, young shooters say "$100 for a brick.. heck that's cheap, and I know a place that does the DNA/background check quick" and laugh.. just as I am now.

When I was a 9-10 year old kid, I could walk in the local hardware store, with $2 in my pocket, and buy a brick, (500 boxed rounds), AND an RC cola and a moon pie.

And actually, when I "stocked up" on 5.56, a "Benjamin" got you a 1000 round case... You don't even want to hear about the bulk 30-06 surplus I bought from the CMP 35 years ago...

MadMonkey
08-07-2012, 06:54
Nice try Mr. ATF Man.

Bilbo Bagins
08-07-2012, 07:20
My guess is, that when YOU get older, you will look back when the newer, young shooters say "$100 for a brick.. heck that's cheap, and I know a place that does the DNA/background check quick" and laugh.. just as I am now.

When I was a 9-10 year old kid, I could walk in the local hardware store, with $2 in my pocket, and buy a brick, (500 boxed rounds), AND an RC cola and a moon pie.

And actually, when I "stocked up" on 5.56, a "Benjamin" got you a 1000 round case... You don't even want to hear about the bulk 30-06 surplus I bought from the CMP 35 years ago...

+1 its funny when I look at my stash of ammo and see price stickers on them. $8 box of .380 ammo, $6.99 box of 9mm and most of my stuff isn't over 10 year old.

Stevekozak
08-07-2012, 07:23
Nice try Mr. ATF Man.
:rofl: That is funny. My first thought on reading thread title was "Why you want to know"? :)

lawman800
08-07-2012, 07:35

Yeah, I remember the good ole days... when you can get AK's for $100 all day long, pick from the stacks in crates, just grab a few and go pay for it. SKS's were $50. M1 Garands were $200, M1 carbines were $100. Assorted AR's for $600, HK MP5 with the 16" barrel for $800, etc.

M16 surplus magazines were $5 all day long and they literally had 55 gallon drums full of them in the warehouse, just grab as many as you want and go pay for them.

Yeah, those laws banning them sure made modern society so much safer than back in those days... what were we thinking!

Oh... all the ammo I had were lost last night in a terrible boating accident... I had all my ammo with me on my jet ski and all of it fell overboard when I took a turn too fast.:supergrin:

BuzznRose
08-07-2012, 08:47
Oh... all the ammo I had were lost last night in a terrible boating accident... I had all my ammo with me on my jet ski and all of it fell overboard when I took a turn too fast.:supergrin:

What a coincidence, me too! LOL! Lost all my guns too!

Akita
08-07-2012, 14:05
A box for each caliber is enough unless its the summer target season, then 2 or 3 so you dont run out.

Warp
08-07-2012, 14:21

Mind adjusting those amounts for inflation?

LongGun1
08-07-2012, 14:26
Topic ^. How much ammo do you have?

I am really surprised by the quantities stated! :dunno:

I can understand many not wanting to state exact quantities..

..but it seems the high side of the answers (so far) is only in the low tens of thousands of rounds?? :whistling:

Nobody in the (couple, several, many) hundreds of thousands of rounds?? :tongueout:

Almost un-American if you ask me! :clown:

quake
08-07-2012, 14:56
...nobody in the (couple, several, many) hundreds of thousands of rounds?? :tongueout:

I'm kind of in the "don't ask, don't tell" camp nowadays as some here are; at least as far as specific numbers. Suffice it to say I don't fall into the "many" category you describe. ;)

It does take more to stock up now than it used to. I ordered 200 rounds of pistol ammo last night. With shipping it was $226; for a measly 200 rounds of 9mm pow'rball. That's goofy, but what can you do if you want something outside the mainstream...

Even some of the more normal stuff is about that if you buy locally anymore. Seems like a 25-round box of most any 'premium' JHP runs $20-$25 a box nowadays. Makes me really appreciate the stuff I did stock up on 'back in the day'. I re-chronographed some Triton Hi-Vel stuff yesterday that I don't think I paid $10/25 for, probably 10-15 years ago.

You may be older than me.... :tongueout:

I used to get a brick (ten 50-round boxes) for around $4; don't remember $2. I was driving at the time though, not 9-10 years old; no idea what it was when I was a little kid, I used my dad's stash. (As my sons used mine.)

Remember the old McDonald's TV commercials, "Buy a hamburger, fries & a drink, and get change back from your dollar"...? :rofl:

I've still got some 7.62x39 jsp that iirc I paid $84 per 1280-round case; and that was only 20 years ago or so.

RWBlue
08-07-2012, 15:01

..but it seems the high side of the answers (so far) is only in the low tens of thousands of rounds?? :whistling:

Nobody in the (couple, several, many) hundreds of thousands of rounds?? :tongueout:

There is a financial consideration. At some point you have to decide if you are better off buying more ammo, or ......

Investing in the 401K, Roth IRA, new generator, property.........

And although ammo doesn't eat anything....it does take up space.

Warp
08-07-2012, 15:08
Even some of the more normal stuff is about that if you buy locally anymore. Seems like a 25-round box of most any 'premium' JHP runs $20-$25 a box nowadays. Makes me really appreciate the stuff I did stock up on 'back in the day'. I re-chronographed some Triton Hi-Vel stuff yesterday that I don't think I paid $10/25 for, probably 10-15 years ago.

Only suckers, the ignorant, or the have-to-have-it-TODAY crowd should ever buy 25 round boxes of JHP handgun rounds locally. (in service calibers, anyway)

quake
08-07-2012, 15:12
...suckers, the ignorant, or the have-to-have-it-TODAY crowd...
Isn't that largely redundant?

Warp
08-07-2012, 15:15
Isn't that largely redundant?

It sounds that way, doesn't it?

When I wrote the "have to have it today" part I was thinking of somebody who, for some reason, was immediately in need of ammo...not necessarily the INSTANT gratification mandatory crowd...though even I read it as the latter, now that I wrote it.

I was thinking more like I go to check my pistol at the airport and find out, at the airline's counter, that AirTran policy does not allow ammunition and firearms to be checked in the same piece of luggage, and I only have one piece of luggage, and no time to go all the way back to my off-airport located vehicle, so I take the gun and buy ammo that I HAVE TO HAVE RIGHT NOW when I get there.

Few and far between.

When the above happened to me I was fortunate in that my wife was also checking a bag (often for a weekend we only check the one) and hers hadn't gone down the tunnel at the end of the belt YET, so it was okay because we retrieved hers sand put the ammo in it...but I was almost in that situation

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-07-2012, 15:21
Mind adjusting those amounts for inflation?

Nope, and that is my point. When you get older, you'll see. It is inflation that is happening, but no adjustment needed. You youngun's don't know what it was like to walk into Sears, yes Sears, and pick milsurp rifles from a barrel, and walk out the door after paying $49.99 for a FINE British Enfield in 303 and some ammo.

I have a few rounds of original IMI 9mm I bought a l o n g time ago, when it was the ONLY ammo you were supposed to put through you Uzi. They still have $1.99 price tag on them. and that was expensive ammo. I thought class III was to expensive to feed back then in the 70's, so I let them go.. I can't imagine owning/shooting one now.

In fact I just had a hard time buying a new lawn/garden tractor.. it's nice, it's well made, it should be my last. But hurts like heck to pay more for a lawn tractor than I paid for my first new car.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-07-2012, 15:40
Remember the old McDonald's TV commercials, "Buy a hamburger, fries & a drink, and get change back from your dollar"...? :rofl:

I don't remember that one (but I didn't watch much TV until just a couple years ago) But I do remember "feed a family of four on $10 and get change back".. And I remember when the Egg McMuffin was introduced.. I still have one every now and then...

Warp
08-07-2012, 15:41
Nope, and that is my point. When you get older, you'll see. It is inflation that is happening, but no adjustment needed. You youngun's don't know what it was like to walk into Sears, yes Sears, and pick milsurp rifles from a barrel, and walk out the door after paying $49.99 for a FINE British Enfield in 303 and some ammo.

I have a few rounds of original IMI 9mm I bought a l o n g time ago, when it was the ONLY ammo you were supposed to put through you Uzi. They still have $1.99 price tag on them. and that was expensive ammo. I thought class III was to expensive to feed back then in the 70's, so I let them go.. I can't imagine owning/shooting one now.

In fact I just had a hard time buying a new lawn/garden tractor.. it's nice, it's well made, it should be my last. But hurts like heck to pay more for a lawn tractor than I paid for my first new car.

Quoting prices of old...when minimum wage might have been $2 and median household income might have been $8,000....and attempting to compare them to today's prices....is beyond useless.

wjv
08-07-2012, 15:57
About 2K per gun. .

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-07-2012, 16:05
Quoting prices of old...when minimum wage might have been $2 and median household income might have been $8,000....and attempting to compare them to today's prices....is beyond useless.

And yet, when you get there, I PROMISE it will be on your mind.

I do realize at the time I made way less, and that it is all "relative".. but you do look back.. can't help it. Humans do such things.

And really, as someone else pointed out.. it wasn't that long ago that prices where not near as high as they are now.

RWBlue
08-07-2012, 16:18
And really, as someone else pointed out.. it wasn't that long ago that prices where not near as high as they are now.

Some items go up by leaps and bounds and rarely ever come back to where they started from.

Gas (petrol) for my vehicle. The price goes up by .50 when there is an OH SHT moment in the middle east and then come down .25 when the oh sht moment is over.

Ammo went up with Obama took office and has not gone dowm much.

auto-5
08-07-2012, 16:47
More than I would walk out with so more than enough. For me that is 550 rounds of .22lr and a bot of 25 assorted 12ga shells. later this year I will probably add a 9mm to that list along with 50 rounds.

quake
08-07-2012, 16:56

And yet, when you get there, I PROMISE it will be on your mind.

I do realize at the time I made way less, and that it is all "relative".. but you do look back.. can't help it. Humans do such things.

Both fair points. A couple our guys smoke, and one of them recently told me cigarettes were $5.80 a pack. When I quit, I was paying (I think) 75 cents a pack; but to be fair, I was making $650 a month in the army.

Big thing with me as a reason for having lots of ammo on hand is simply the antagonism displayed toward it by so many polititicians. There've been attempts at per-round taxes that would make a bulk-pack of .22 shells cost over a hundred dollars (not paranoia; it was attempted & shot down [iirc] in chicago a few years ago), attempts to restrict purchases to "x" number of rounds per year, etc. (IIRC, it's 50 per year legal maximum now in Spain.)

Things like that make it seem simpler to just stock up a bunch of it ahead of time & be done with it. If there were those kinds of repeated attempts to ban or limit the sale of motor oil, fan belts, or shoelaces, I'd absolutely be stocking up more on those as well.

Warp
08-07-2012, 16:59

That's the sad part. I didn't get my first gun until 2005, right when I joined GT. If only I had the same mentality about acquiring ammo then that I do now.

matt_lowry123
08-07-2012, 17:36
Around 3000 rounds of 9mm, 3000 rounds of 45acp, 200 rounds of 308, 120 rounds of 5.56, and about 100 rounds of shotgun shells.

I would like way more of all the above!!! I'm going to have to start the buy double and save half method.

Ramjet38
08-07-2012, 17:44
enough to make the evening news if were found.

lawman800
08-07-2012, 19:47
What a coincidence, me too! LOL! Lost all my guns too!

Guns? I don't have any guns. All my guns are borrowed... and these pants ain't mine either.:whistling:

lawman800
08-07-2012, 19:51

Depending on what you did to make the news, having 1 green bullet in your shirt pocket is enough to make you a fringe gun nut who hoarded a "mobile cache".

Chuck TX
08-07-2012, 20:12
Infinite. My snap caps are reusable. :supergrin:

LongGun1
08-07-2012, 20:32

Good Answer! :rofl: :supergrin:

Of course the amount depends on where you live...

..I remember the story of a .22 Short found in a doorway in England...

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1013959.bullet_found_in_doorway/

..and that story went international! :upeyes:

G29Reload
08-07-2012, 21:25
All mine was lost in a tragic boating accident.:crying:

Shinesintx
08-07-2012, 21:32
Nice try Mr. ATF Man.

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 21:33
I usually pick up about 40 rounds of SD ammo per week, and 100 of FMJ. Been doing this for 2 years :-) you do the math haha

Warp
08-07-2012, 22:58
I usually pick up about 40 rounds of SD ammo per week, and 100 of FMJ. Been doing this for 2 years :-) you do the math haha

You don't shoot?

thesurefire
08-07-2012, 23:08

A family of 4 who each shoot 1000 rounds a mouth for the next 10 years: .22 lr: 17.5k while pellets would only cost 4.4k.

Yes its not a perfect strategy (pellet rifles arnt real guns) but I think we'll all agree more practice is better.

Warp
08-07-2012, 23:11
Who shoots 1k rounds a month using a pellet gun? What kind of pellet gun? Model examples?

TangoFoxtrot
08-08-2012, 04:32
How much ammo do you have?........

Not enough! ;)

WhiskeyUnicorn
08-08-2012, 05:29
Not enough

schild
08-08-2012, 06:20

Exactly how I feel.

Enough that the folding tables that the ATF had the guns laid out on for the press wouldn't hold the ammo cans.:rofl:

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-08-2012, 06:37
Who shoots 1k rounds a month using a pellet gun? What kind of pellet gun? Model examples?

Man does this sound like..

"who needs 6000 rounds of ammo? no one shoots that much.."

But, I have to say, I had a couple of my great nephews here a couple weekends ago, and they went through a little over two tins of pellet gun ammo in a Saturday morning, so better than 500 pellets. Using a couple RWS 34's. They would have shot more I am sure.. but I don't store pellets in bulk.lol. (made an order to pyramid yesterday..:whistling:)

quake
08-08-2012, 06:49
...but I don't store pellets in bulk.lol...
This. I used to shoot a lot of pellets, mostly from a scoped GAMO 220 Hunter. Very good pellet rifle, but the pellets it was accurate with cost as much as .22 bulk back at the time when .22 bulk was $9 per 550. Now that .22 rounds are double that, the pellet gun might make a little sense again; but with the suppressed 22's being quieter than the pellet gun, I just don't bother with it anymore.

I can see a little advantage cost-wise (& sometimes legality-wise) for pellet guns, but real guns are much more fun imo.

youngdocglock
08-08-2012, 06:54
You don't shoot?

I shoot haha i just reload for that. Usually load enough to shoot the day or two days before :)

ashecht
08-08-2012, 07:34
2k of 9mm
1k .45
1k .40

BR549
08-08-2012, 07:42

Have you moved it all from Monroe to N-AR?

How did you transport it? Railway? Moving truck?

How many hundreds of thousands? Per gun, per caliber?

LongGun1
08-08-2012, 08:19
Have you moved it all from Monroe to N-AR?

How did you transport it? Railway? Moving truck?

How many hundreds of thousands? Per gun, per caliber?

Why would I move anything from "Monroe"..

..as that is not where either of my 2 homes are located? :upeyes:

On the flipside...

Nice to know a certain cyberstalker does not have a clue where my family lives! :supergrin:

RWBlue
08-08-2012, 08:21

I averaged more than 100 rounds a night for a winter a couple winters ago.

I was using a Career II 707 in 22, Benjamin Steroid gun in 22, and a pump pistol.

Every night I came home from work, went to the basement and worked on precision shooting. It really did help as I worked through the nomal positionsn and then did impromptu positions.

RWBlue
08-08-2012, 08:25
This. I used to shoot a lot of pellets, mostly from a scoped GAMO 220 Hunter. Very good pellet rifle, but the pellets it was accurate with cost as much as .22 bulk back at the time when .22 bulk was $9 per 550. Now that .22 rounds are double that, the pellet gun might make a little sense again; but with the suppressed 22's being quieter than the pellet gun, I just don't bother with it anymore.

I can see a little advantage cost-wise (& sometimes legality-wise) for pellet guns, but real guns are much more fun imo.

When you add a suppressor to a PCP gun, it gets real quiet....but it is still limited on the killing power by the weight of the pellet and the speed of sound.

GlockinNJ
08-08-2012, 08:32
How much ammo do I have?

Uh, none. I lost it all in a tragic boating accident. :tongueout:

Warp
08-08-2012, 12:24
Have you ever shot 1k pellets in a month? Consecutive months?

Do you know anybody who has shot 12k pellets in a year?

I'm just looking for the real world experience behind the example of 4k pellets per month for a decade. Wondering if it's just a random hypothesis

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-08-2012, 13:05

I'm just looking for the real world experience behind the example of 4k pellets per month for a decade. Wondering if it's just a random hypothesis

I haven't. I am sure MOST haven't.

Most also have never shot that many rounds of ANYTHING day/month/year/decade in and out.

Some have. :wavey: Heck, I have shot +4000 in a day. (possibly in an hour...)

But planning for it isn't "wrong".. it's one of those things where.. it may not be where I choose to spend my time and money, but every situation is different. And pellets, like lots of S&P items, won't go bad, get stale, or become useless over time.. but they sure are ONE of the things I wouldn't want to be trying to find in SHTF sceario if I could have bought them ahead of time. (If I felt they were an S&P item in my situation)

OH, AND, we have some very crappy boat handlers on this site. :whistling: (I knew I should have bought a kayak instead of a canoe...)

BR549
08-08-2012, 14:16
Why would I move anything from "Monroe"..

..as that is not where either of my 2 homes are located?

On the flipside...

Nice to know a certain cyberstalker does not have a clue where my family lives! :supergrin:

"although Monroe is the closest big town to where I live"

FTR, your family in Oxford indicates you're mostly BS. They laugh at your antics. I saw them last week. :wavey:

I offered a meet & greet and offered to buy dinner for you and whoever you could bring if you'd just show up with the bike.

I offered to let you see some real pieces of transportation moving "briskly" so you'd understand what "briskly" means.

Why can't you respond to the PM? :notlistening:

It's good to know the cyberbully :psycho: is still around...

:panties: and just keep rolling out the bs, I have my waders on.

Sorry for the hi-jack..........

quake
08-08-2012, 15:10
...I offered a meet & greet and offered to buy dinner for you and whoever you could bring if you'd just show up with the bike...

?????????????

I don't hardly know squat about motorcycles, but can say that I've seen LG1's. Nice bike.

He should have found one more his size, though. Kind of silly-looking almost:
http://photos.imageevent.com/motorbiker/newspics3/Mini-Mini-Motorcycle.jpg

:tongueout:

Ramjet38
08-08-2012, 19:14
Good Answer! :rofl: :supergrin:

Of course the amount depends on where you live...

..I remember the story of a .22 Short found in a doorway in England...

http://www.guardian-series.co.uk/news/1013959.bullet_found_in_doorway/

..and that story went international! :upeyes:

Wow! That's unbelievable (.22 short). "It can fire itself".

I guess if a reporter or law enforsment asked why all the ammo, I would say that I don't buy gold, and it's a hinge against inflation. :whistling:

JimIsland
08-08-2012, 19:37
Approx. 10K rounds of assorted 9mm, .357 sig, 10mm and a few .380. Although I only keep about 500 rounds of HP for each caliber.

GLOCK17DB9
08-08-2012, 20:30
that reminds me I need to go and stock up again this week before the sale ends at Dunhams.:wavey: oh btw not enough!:supergrin:

LongGun1
08-08-2012, 20:51
?????????????

I don't hardly know squat about motorcycles, but can say that I've seen LG1's. Nice bike.

Thanks!

Been on 6 or so multi-state trips in the last couple of months..

..it has really performed well..

..especially with the new set of Michelin Pilot Road 3 Trail.

"although Monroe is the closest big town to where I live"

FTR, your family in Oxford indicates you're mostly BS. They laugh at your antics. I saw them last week. :wavey:

I offered a meet & greet and offered to buy dinner for you and whoever you could bring if you'd just show up with the bike.

I offered to let you see some real pieces of transportation moving "briskly" so you'd understand what "briskly" means.

Why can't you respond to the PM? :notlistening:

It's good to know the cyberbully :psycho: is still around...

:panties: and just keep rolling out the bs, I have my waders on.

Sorry for the hi-jack..........

BTW....BR549 sent 3 almost back-to-back PMs.. (16:37, 16:39 & 17:23 on the 06-06-2012)

..the last threatening to "I'll post the previous PM on the forum..."

..unless I submitted to his demands for a meet!

He ended his ranting with...

"We could possibly become friends, and you could learn much from me."

I ignored the PMs....for obvious reasons! :whistling:

While I have met with you & several others who post online here which I trust...

..& all have developed into continued friendships that have now lasted years..

..plus many other requests from here & abroad I have not had the opportunity to meet with..

..all those I have considered are those members that share common interests & understand the basic foundation is trust to begin a friendship.

That being said, I am very selective in whom I FTF as I am sure you & they are!

The last thing I would want to do is endanger my family, friends and/or myself in a FTF meeting with a person that meets the legal definition of a cyberstalker..

..basically a psychopathic Gunkid or worse.

Cyberstalking is the use of the Internet or other electronic means to stalk or harass an individual, a group of individuals, or an organization.
It may include false accusations, monitoring, making threats, identity theft, damage to data or equipment, the solicitation of minors for sex, or gathering information in order to harass.
The definition of "harassment" must meet the criterion that a reasonable person, in possession of the same information, would regard it as sufficient to cause another reasonable person distress.

IMHO...someone in this thread (hint...not you or me) meets this definition in spades!

BTW...I have only one family member that lives in Oxford, he owns a firearms business & that fact I have posted online in the past..

..so the "Them" living in Oxford is yet another BS statement.

When asked just now if he had a conversation with anyone about me & especially my online identity...

..his reply was "not me. I don't give the LG1 alias"!

So...yet more BS!

Wish the mods would take a close look at antics such as these..

..and take steps to get the forum back to the quality exchange of information once was!

BR549
08-09-2012, 07:44
BTW....BR549 sent 3 almost back-to-back PMs.. (16:37, 16:39 & 17:23 on the 06-06-2012)
The first PM was an inadvertently sent twice.

..the last threatening to "I'll post the previous PM on the forum..."

..unless I submitted to his demands for a meet!

The statement above is libelous. I did not threaten anything related to whether he would meet with me or not. I offered to meet him so he could show me his great bike – the Mighty V.

He ended his ranting with...

"We could possibly become friends, and you could learn much from me." :rofl:

I ignored the PMs....for obvious reasons! :whistling:

No rant occurred, just an attempt to quell his threatening and arrogant gesturing toward me and others by offering to meet so he could see a couple of my bikes, how they are equipped, and my riding style… and he could show me his bike and how he rides.

While I have met with you & several others who post online here which I trust...

..& all have developed into continued friendships that have now lasted years..

..plus many other requests from here & abroad I have not had the opportunity to meet with..

..all those I have considered are those members that share common interests & understand the basic foundation is trust to begin a friendship.

Trust is difficult when the proliferator of such grandiose stories can only verify by ¼ mile times established by professional riders who weigh half of what the story-teller does, a lackluster video of a slow-motion ride down a pretty two-lane highway, and pictures of someone else’s bike.

That being said, I am very selective in whom I FTF as I am sure you & they are!

The last thing I would want to do is endanger my family, friends and/or myself in a FTF meeting with a person that meets the legal definition of a cyberstalker..

..basically a psychopathic Gunkid or worse.

IMHO...someone in this thread (hint...not you or me) meets this definition in spades!
Looking at the definitions of cyberbullying and cyberstalking and then reading GT for an hour, one could easily find many who might readily appear to meet such definitions, including you.

BTW...I have only one family member that lives in Oxford, he owns a firearms business & that fact I have posted online in the past..

..so the "Them" living in Oxford is yet another BS statement.

When asked just now if he had a conversation with anyone about me & especially my online identity...

..his reply was "not me. I don't give the LG1 alias"!
I never brought up anything related to the internet or your online identity.

So...yet more BS!

Wish the mods would take a close look at antics such as these..

..and take steps to get the forum back to the quality exchange of information once was!

You mean your antics of physical threats and calling others names such as “troll” and attempting to persuade forum members including moderators that an individual online character is a cyberstalker in an attempt to denigrate that character and then use the victim complex to hide their own cyberbullying???
Hmmm….okay. Back to your regularly scheduled program…

How many hundreds of thousands of rounds of ammunition do you have for each caliber...per firearm...etc., etc., etc.

sebecman
08-09-2012, 08:13
Yep...this place has officially gone to the dogs. No wonder I don't hang out here very often anymore.

Used to be such a nice little corner of the internet too...:crying:

Warp
08-09-2012, 10:15
Yep...this place has officially gone to the dogs. No wonder I don't hang out here very often anymore.

That happened awhile ago.

No mods...lots of tinfoil hats...lots of extremely silly topics...lots of completely off topic posts and threads...

When was the last time there was a thread about water filtration methods?

John Rambo
08-09-2012, 12:22
That happened awhile ago.

No mods...lots of tinfoil hats...lots of extremely silly topics...lots of completely off topic posts and threads...

When was the last time there was a thread about water filtration methods?

Dude..its the survival and preparedness forum.

There should be a tinfoil hat logo over this thing. When are you ever, EVER, EVER going to need to know how to combine coals and sand to filter your water? At MOST you need to know how to drop some Iodine in your bathtub full of water or scoop some out of a scream and boil it.

The entire forum is over the top. Thats why its fun. Because of the threads about shower carry and stockpiling ammo. Why on God's green Earth would you EVER need to stockpile ammo? What are you gonna do with 10,000 rounds of ammunition?

Chillax, brother. Just enjoy the off-the-wall banter.

WWJBD
08-09-2012, 15:01

There should be a tinfoil hat logo over this thing. When are you ever, EVER, EVER going to need to know how to combine coals and sand to filter your water? At MOST you need to know how to drop some Iodine in your bathtub full of water or scoop some out of a scream and boil it.

The entire forum is over the top. Thats why its fun. Because of the threads about shower carry and stockpiling ammo. Why on God's green Earth would you EVER need to stockpile ammo? What are you gonna do with 10,000 rounds of ammunition?

EXACTLY...seriously I read a post earlier about the human equivalent of dog food....hahahaha.

And let's not forget the thread about UFO's...ya thats what you should be worried about.

quake
08-09-2012, 17:12
... Because of the threads about shower carry and stockpiling ammo. Why on God's green Earth would you EVER need to stockpile ammo?
Some of us shoot a fair amount. I've shot a little over 400 rounds this week, and this week's nothing special; no matches, classes, etc, just going to the range. That doesn't necessarily sound like a ton of shooting, but over the course of a year, just keeping up that simple, calm, enjoyable, recreational pace is more than 20,000 rounds. Some factory loads, and some are my reloads. And I haven't even touched a rifle or a .22 rimfire this week; some weeks it's more than others.

And just as with buying anything, it's nice to not HAVE TO buy when prices spike or when supply gets scarce, as they did in 2008 thru early 2010. There for a while, I literally could not buy pistol primers anywhere within 30 miles of Little Rock. Zero in stock, in any local store. So it was either give up my recreation of choice, or use the evil "stockpile" I was fortunate enough to have.

...What are you gonna do with 10,000 rounds of ammunition?...
Shoot it. Some of us shoot thousands of rounds a year. Nothing to do with thinking we'd survive using that many rounds in combat; it's just that doing the logical thing of buying when the price is low, or buying in bulk, means buying more than a box at a time. I've shot commercial-packed M193 (Q3131) this year that I paid $2.99 a box for; anyone who isn't willing to be the kind of "stockpiling nutjob" that you glibly deride can't say that.

schild
08-09-2012, 17:50
Why on God's green Earth would you EVER need to stockpile ammo? What are you gonna do with 10,000 rounds of ammunition?

I know what I'd do if I only had 10K rounds of ammo............

I'd wish I had more!:tongueout:

Warp
08-09-2012, 19:19

You must not be an avid shooter.

I am going to shoot it. All of it. Many times over. I could end up shooting 1,000 rounds this week*, and the more tactical classes I am looking at could be 1,500-2,500 rounds each. In a handful of days.

*7 day period

lawman800
08-09-2012, 19:26
You mean I can still start a new thread about how to survive an alien UFO invasion by outfitting a fleet of food trucks with solar panels and water buckets equipped with peat filtration systems while all the drivers carry openly in Maxpedition bags and eat hot dogs with kevlar sporks?

Bodyarmorguy
08-09-2012, 19:32
Training Ammo
9mm-2000 rounds
.40 - 3000 rounds
.45 - 4000 rounds

Defense Ammo
9mm - 1500 rounds
.40 - 500 rounds
.45 - 1000 rounds

5.56 - 5000 rounds
00 Buck - 200 rounds
Slugs - 200 rounds

thesurefire
08-09-2012, 19:33

Yes, Yes, and Yes. I'm not sure I've personally ever hit 12k pellets in a year, but I figure in lots of situations I'd have lots more time to kill and thus could shoot more.

I spent many hours setting up and knocking down pop cans when I was a kid. As I recall most of the rifles were Benjamins. A few had scopes.

Warp
08-09-2012, 19:35
Yes, Yes, and Yes. I'm not sure I've personally ever hit 12k pellets in a year, but I figure in lots of situations I'd have lots more time to kill and thus could shoot more.

I spent many hours setting up and knocking down pop cans when I was a kid. As I recall most of the rifles were Benjamins. A few had scopes.

I'd never get that far with my Benjamin. Too many pumps to get the power behind it.

LongGun1
08-09-2012, 19:44

I am going to shoot it. All of it. Many times over. I could end up shooting 1,000 rounds this week*, and the more tactical classes I am looking at could be 1,500-2,500 rounds each. In a handful of days.

*7 day period

+1 :thumbsup:

IMO....also Quake hit the bullseye with his post..

As far as I am concerned we are living in times which

.."Quantity has a quality all in its own!" :supergrin:

YMMV

matt_lowry123
08-09-2012, 22:25
Everybody needs 10,000 rounds of ammo!! If the zombies break out, you'll need enough to protect yourself and loved ones. If you have to bail out, then you can run a rabbits trail and come back for it.

My goal is to have 100k rounds. I'm around 96k away

SDDL-UP
08-10-2012, 00:35
I probably have enough to last LG1 a couple of years... that's it.

Sounds like a nice goal there matt lowry123!

As far as water filtration - I picked up a pack or two of coffee filters just to pre-filter anything I might have to treat in the future.

kirgi08
08-10-2012, 00:44
I'd rather have it and not need it,as ta need it and not have it.'08.

UneasyRider
08-10-2012, 04:56
I don't keep much ammo beside what my wife and I shoot when we practice, we each have a pistol. I mostly focus on the water, food, shelter and tools aspect of preping.

John Rambo
08-10-2012, 07:26

*7 day period

By that definition, nope, I'm not an avid shooter at all. I understand buying low - I've got 4 ammo cans full of ammo, mostly because I found a good deal on .40S&W ammo...and because I've got all these damn 5.56 tracers I took on trade that I can't sell off completely. But thats another subject.

Anyways, don't get so hung up on a number or the specifics. The point I was illustrating is everything about this forum is over the top. Can you learn some good stuff here? Absolutely. Is most of it practical? Well...probably not. Its just fun to discuss off-the-wall things.

Warp
08-10-2012, 07:27
By that definition, nope, I'm not an avid shooter at all. I understand buying low - I've got 4 ammo cans full of ammo, mostly because I found a good deal on .40S&W ammo...and because I've got all these damn 5.56 tracers I took on trade that I can't sell off completely. But thats another subject.

Anyways, don't get so hung up on a number or the specifics. The point I was illustrating is everything about this forum is over the top. Can you learn some good stuff here? Absolutely. Is most of it practical? Well...probably not. Its just fun to discuss off-the-wall things.

When I started posting here it was *not* silly off-the-wall crap that didn't do anybody any good. It was actually useful, practical preparedness discussion. At least much more than it is now.

Compared to before this forum just seems like a joke these days.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-10-2012, 10:12
When I started posting here it was silly off-the-wall crap that didn't do anybody any good. It was actually useful, practical preparedness discussion. At least much more than it is now.

Compared to before this forum just seems like a joke these days.

Yep, and I have not been here as long as many. My advantage is that I was RAISED to prep. So I/we are way ahead of most.

There are other forums that have good info, but like all things, you have to put up with some stuff to glean the good info..

I will admit that the "hand warmer vs o2 absorber vs tea leaves vs DE vs whatever weirdness uncle Joe told me" or "myler bags vs used potato chip bags" etc etc gets old... but is sometimes funny, and do believe a lot of times, a new person to S&P will find good useable info in most threads.

On another forum I am on, a guy wants to be told why he shouldn't use old 6gal chlorine buckets from his swimming pool for ammo storage.. been quite a few answers.. but he want's to defend his position.. funny really, since chemically unadulterated buckets can be had for a dollar... But, of course he doesn't want to waste this "free source" of containers... And is sure the $1 he would save is a good gamble for storing $500+ worth of ammo..

pugman
08-10-2012, 12:05
Rule #1 - you don't talk about Ammunition club

Warp
08-10-2012, 12:06
Yep, and I have not been here as long as many. My advantage is that I was RAISED to prep. So I/we are way ahead of most.

There are other forums that have good info, but like all things, you have to put up with some stuff to glean the good info..

I will admit that the "hand warmer vs o2 absorber vs tea leaves vs DE vs whatever weirdness uncle Joe told me" or "myler bags vs used potato chip bags" etc etc gets old... but is sometimes funny, and do believe a lot of times, a new person to S&P will find good useable info in most threads.

Speaking of buckets and all that...I put back some items, including white rice and pinto beans, a little over 5 years ago. I used new HDPE buckets from USplastics, mylar bag that I sealed with an iron/dowel rod, approximately 1/2 cup of DE, and 02 absorbers that, although I am not certain, may have been used up through exposure to air the way I stored them.

The question: Is there ANY point in opening one of these buckets now, 5 years later, to see what's up? I'm thinking not. This is from a bag I put back at the same time. I put the original (open!) bag into a used bucket from the mall cookie store.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/20120810_140501.jpg

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-10-2012, 12:27
Speaking of buckets and all that...I put back some items, including white rice and pinto beans, a little over 5 years ago. I used new HDPE buckets from USplastics, mylar bag that I sealed with an iron/dowel rod, approximately 1/2 cup of DE, and 02 absorbers that, although I am not certain, may have been used up through exposure to air the way I stored them.

The question: Is there ANY point in opening one of these buckets now, 5 years later, to see what's up? I'm thinking not. This is from a bag I put back at the same time. I put the original (open!) bag into a used bucket from the mall cookie store.

I wouldn't open them up "just to see".. I am not a fan of DE, it was the rage a couple decades ago.. but that was before mylar and o2 absorbers... If you got a good seal, the o2 should have been minimal anyways, so anything alive at the time.... is dead now. A few dead bugs is no big deal.

Are you rotating your stores? Should, especially the pinto beans.. somewhere around the 7-8 year point they get to a point where they won't cook right, if you just want "beans". Still fine for grinding and sprouting, but they won't get soft without a pressure cooker. Black beans seem to last a little longer, and lentils so far have never given me trouble I attributed to time, but like most, I like pintos the most :cool:. If you just start rotating now, you can use up those stores, and now, do a better job with the replacements.. I use the 2000cc absorbers, and have always gotten a "brick" in the bucket.

My brother is using rice he put up around y2k, it was in his garage in Cali, and then a shed in TX, stored in 33 gallon civil defense drums. No liner. He reports it is fine.

Warp
08-10-2012, 12:30
I wouldn't open them up "just to see".. I am not a fan of DE, it was the rage a couple decades ago.. but that was before mylar and o2 absorbers... If you got a good seal, the o2 should have been minimal anyways, so anything alive at the time.... is dead now. A few dead bugs is no big deal.

Are you rotating your stores? Should, especially the pinto beans.. somewhere around the 7-8 year point they get to a point where they won't cook right, if you just want "beans". Still fine for grinding and sprouting, but they won't get soft without a pressure cooker. Black beans seem to last a little longer, and lentils so far have never given me trouble I attributed to time, but like most, I like pintos the most :cool:. If you just start rotating now, you can use up those stores, and now, do a better job with the replacements.. I use the 2000cc absorbers, and have always gotten a "brick" in the bucket.

My brother is using rice he put up around y2k, it was in his garage in Cali, and then a shed in TX, stored in 33 gallon civil defense drums. No liner. He reports it is fine.

That's some tough rice. :wow:

I haven't rotated anything from this category, none is older than about 5.5 years.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-10-2012, 14:12
That's some tough rice. :wow:

Bah.. the wheat we are using is much older. back in the mid 70's my father and my 5 uncles went together and bought a freight car of wheat. Yes, no crap, a railroad freight car. Something along the lines of 75 tons if I remember right. It was divided and distributed through the whole family.

Anyways.. my dad still has a few tons left. A couple uncles/aunts have passed on, and he ended up with some of their share back. Last month we were all home for a reunion, and my parents sent some home with us and one of my brothers when we left... Mom and dad don't go through it at the pace they did when they where raising kids/grand kids. Since that 400lbs or so was suddenly the oldest in the house, we opened one of those cans and started using it. So did my baby brother. It's fine. Sprouts, grinds/rises/tastes like fresh. And again, this was stored in the central valley of California for almost 40 years, in airtight drums.

EDIT.. in the vein of the thread.. I have more rice/beans/corn/oats/wheat than bullets. But I have been thinking about taking all my grains for a canoe trip..

Warp
08-10-2012, 14:19
I am aware how well wheat stores. I need to get some myself. And a grinder/mill thingy.

Tell me about the oats.

My LOOONG term storage friendly items are salt, and honey. They will probably outlast modern civilization, the Apocalypse, and the next civilization.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-10-2012, 15:45
Organic rolled oats. purchased in bulk from a local bakery/prep (http://www.wheat-n-things.com/grains-legumes-seeds/grains/rolled-oats-organic.html) supplier.. Mylar/o2 absorber/5gallon frosting bucket from wallyworld.. A bucket holds about 17 pounds. We put up 150 lbs. We eat oatmeal or cracked wheat 5 out 7 breakfasts a week. Use the oats in breads, meat loaf, and cookies. In the last year or so, we went through 2 1/2 buckets..

EDIT.. BTW I highly recommend the Country Living Grain Mill.

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/th_P1010003.jpg (http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w88/maypo59/?action=view&current=P1010003.jpg)

I know of a half dozen of them that are up to 20 years old, get used daily, and never needed a thing.

Catshooter
08-11-2012, 16:12
Quake,

As usual, you make extremly valid points.

A man should plan ahead. Stuff happens. If you can afford it, stockpiling makes a ton of sense.

During the shortages of both '93 & '07-'10 I had enough components on hand that they affected me not at all.

Cat

ICARRY2
08-11-2012, 16:29
Around 6-7k.

JohnnyReb
08-12-2012, 01:15
At what point do you stop stocking ammo and focus more on other preps?

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-12-2012, 06:09

Just like beans/rice/toilet paper/skittles/comic books/garden tools/heat/electricity generation/water treatment/etc..

Only YOU can decide how much YOU need. YOU must think through the scenarios YOU think likely, and prepare in the order and amounts YOU think you will need.

IMHO, eating/drinking is more important than anything else.

quake
08-12-2012, 06:12
I'd say almost the opposite. Other preps (food, water, etc) are things that a person WILL need; ammunition is something a person MIGHT need. Not minimzing it, because if you need it you NEED it; but with food & other basic things, there's no "if" in the equation.

Most of my ammunition isn't 'preps' in the typical usage - I don't expect to need any major percentage of it for a Katrina/recession/civil-unrest situation. It's more like a savings account or stocks bought on dollar-cost averaging; something worth more tomorrow (financially or otherwise) than today. If fan-belt prices, fan-belt regulations, and political fan-belt hatred were anything like they sometimes are for ammunition, I'd absolutely have fan-belts stocked up for not only myself but my kids as well.

To answer your question, I'd say if a person has a few boxes of ammunition for whatever gun(s) they have but don't have several weeks' worth of groceries on hand, they should focus on groceries & such. Try & keep it balanced; no point having a year's worth of ammunition but only two days' worth of food for your kids imo.

Think in terms of "this $20 can buy a box of .45 shells, or it can buy ____ days' worth of food for my family". Which one is likely to be more beneficial to have on hand.

TexasGlockster
08-12-2012, 06:45
I have about 300 rounds of .40 practice ammo, about 100 rounds .40 GDHP, and about 200 rounds of 9mm practice ammo. I also have about 10 shells of SD shotgun ammo.

I would like to eventually have about 2k of practice ammo for each caliber, and about 500 GDHP for each caliber. I don't yet have an AR though I want one with about 4k ammo. And I want to have a total of about 200 SD shotgun shells. In other words I have a way to go.

lawman800
08-12-2012, 10:07
I think food/water and other necessities should take a front seat to ammo but you have to weigh the proportionality of your preps when you use your limited monetary resources to acquire them in the right amounts. Unless you are LG, you have to decide what to buy at certain timeframes.

I am using the incremental way by buying an extra gallon or two of water everytime I go market and building that up over time and it does work pretty fast. The only problem is I run out of space for water pretty fast... food is the same way, as is other stuff like blankets, lighting, etc.

Ammo I have more than other things when compared in relative amounts so now I am concentrating on those other things.

LongGun1
08-12-2012, 10:42
I think food/water and other necessities should take a front seat to ammo but you have to weigh the proportionality of your preps when you use your limited monetary resources to acquire them in the right amounts. Unless you are LG, you have to decide what to buy at certain timeframes.

I am using the incremental way by buying an extra gallon or two of water everytime I go market and building that up over time and it does work pretty fast. The only problem is I run out of space for water pretty fast... food is the same way, as is other stuff like blankets, lighting, etc.

Ammo I have more than other things when compared in relative amounts so now I am concentrating on those other things.

Hey, I put on my pants one leg at a time just like everyone else! :tongueout:

And (unlike the member-in-absentia Myth) I have a budget for my expenditures.

I have just been at this for quite a while, as well as devising creative ways to achieve my goals.

As far as water...have you considered Katadyn (ceramic element) filters as well as a stockpile of water. Many benefits with stocking filters with your stockpile of water...vs water alone.... such as size, weight, portability, shelf life, cost per gallon, etc

With the right filter....any non chemically contaminated drainage ditch can be a source of potable water..

..and by adding carbon pre-filters, you can negate chemically contaminated water as well.

In water that is extremely turbid, a cloth prefilter can be used to extend the life of the filter & reduce cleaning intervals.

Sorry for the hijack on an ammo thread..

quake
08-12-2012, 11:18
...In water that is extremely turbid, a cloth prefilter can be used to extend the life of the filter & reduce cleaning intervals...
Disposable coffee filters are 200 for $2 or so, and make a very good pre-filter when rubber-banded around a filter or purifier's intake.

LongGun1
08-12-2012, 18:30
Disposable coffee filters are 200 for $2 or so, and make a very good pre-filter when rubber-banded around a filter or purifier's intake.

Yep, very lightweight & compact...

..can cut to size several to many intake filters per single coffee filter.

Warp
08-12-2012, 18:35

I'd go the other direction. Assuming I had a quality pistol I had some training with and even just a couple hundred reliable rounds I would make sure I had water, food, fuel, etc under control before I stocked any ammo.

michael e
08-12-2012, 18:54
I reload so I have alot of primers powder bullets brass everywhere. Alot loaded up, and seem to pick up more 22lr every time I walk past it in the store. I figure it is never going to get any cheaper so why not buy some extra when I have the money.

Warp
08-12-2012, 19:13
I reload so I have alot of primers powder bullets brass everywhere. Alot loaded up, and seem to pick up more 22lr every time I walk past it in the store. I figure it is never going to get any cheaper so why not buy some extra when I have the money.

What's a lot?

lawman800
08-12-2012, 20:02
Hey, I put on my pants one leg at a time just like everyone else! :tongueout:

And (unlike the member-in-absentia Myth) I have a budget for my expenditures.

I have just been at this for quite a while, as well as devising creative ways to achieve my goals.

As far as water...have you considered Katadyn (ceramic element) filters as well as a stockpile of water. Many benefits with stocking filters with your stockpile of water...vs water alone.... such as size, weight, portability, shelf life, cost per gallon, etc

With the right filter....any non chemically contaminated drainage ditch can be a source of potable water..

..and by adding carbon pre-filters, you can negate chemically contaminated water as well.

In water that is extremely turbid, a cloth prefilter can be used to extend the life of the filter & reduce cleaning intervals.

Sorry for the hijack on an ammo thread..

Thanks for the great suggestions. I will look into that this week.

RWBlue
08-12-2012, 21:41

How do you know it is not chemically contaminated?

LongGun1
08-12-2012, 22:06
How do you know it is not chemically contaminated?

Location.....such as could the water source be compromised by agricultural runoff, mining or manufacturing operations, etc

Appearance....unusual color or a multicolored sheen on the surface..

Smell

Taste

If in doubt, use a carbon pre-filter

Other ways to find out...such as testing kits

Amazon.com: Watersafe WS425B Drinking Water Test Kit: Explore similar items@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31mtwZR91UL.@@AMEPARAM@@31mtwZR91UL

BRabbit
08-16-2012, 07:04

Actually we had some pretty decent discussions and we shared some good information on survival preps to address real world "what ifs" prior to Y2K, when everyone expected the world's computers to crash (which they would have, had billions not been spent to upgrade/fix systems), and I don't even remember if there was a separate forum for survival back then or if it was in the "General Non-Glocking" forum.

Either way, being prepared to take care of yourself and your family in an emergency is not "over the top"...ask those who lived through Hurricane Katrina in 2005.

On a personal note - I think the amount of ammunition and other preps that a person does in the event of a disaster should be kept as personal information, but if someone feels comfortable posting that information on an open forum, then that is their prerogative.

Bilbo Bagins
08-16-2012, 08:06
I'd say almost the opposite. Other preps (food, water, etc) are things that a person WILL need; ammunition is something a person MIGHT need. Not minimzing it, because if you need it you NEED it; but with food & other basic things, there's no "if" in the equation.

Most of my ammunition isn't 'preps' in the typical usage - I don't expect to need any major percentage of it for a Katrina/recession/civil-unrest situation. It's more like a savings account or stocks bought on dollar-cost averaging; something worth more tomorrow (financially or otherwise) than today. If fan-belt prices, fan-belt regulations, and political fan-belt hatred were anything like they sometimes are for ammunition, I'd absolutely have fan-belts stocked up for not only myself but my kids as well.

To answer your question, I'd say if a person has a few boxes of ammunition for whatever gun(s) they have but don't have several weeks' worth of groceries on hand, they should focus on groceries & such. Try & keep it balanced; no point having a year's worth of ammunition but only two days' worth of food for your kids imo.

Think in terms of "this $20 can buy a box of .45 shells, or it can buy ____ days' worth of food for my family". Which one is likely to be more beneficial to have on hand.

+1

I think anyone who shoots regularly should stockpile some ammo, simply because ammo is getting more and more expensive. The government never needs to ban and conficate guns. All you need to do is make the bullets they shoot more and more expensive and hard to get.

Besides the tin foil talk its a matter of economics. You like wearing thick gold chains, you should have bought gold sooner. You like gas guzzling diesel trucks you should have bough your fuel when gas was cheap.

In regards to SHTF, unless you are going to be handing out ammo to family, friend, and neighbors, having +10,000 rounds is useless. Figure how many rounds can you carry as a single person, like 11 mags of 30round AR or AK Mags. That is about 10 lb or more of ammo you are carrying on your body, and that does not include the weight of the rifle, your pistol, pisol ammo and other crap. Personally I would go lighter to move faster, but that is another issue. That is 330 rifle rounds total, that you would bring to a fight. For you to shoot go thru 1000 rounds of rifle ammo you would need to shoot yourself dry over 3 times carrying more ammo than what most soldiers carry. For 5000 that is over 15, and for 10,000 that is over 30 times you shot all your ammo dry.

So unless your are the bastard son of John Rambo and Sarah Connor if you fight alone when the SHTF, you will die, get captured, or get forced out of your home(where you keep the ammo stash) well before you run thru 10,000 rounds of ammo.

Tom Kanik
08-16-2012, 19:13
Ammo? What ammo? ...:whistling::cool:

kirgi08
08-16-2012, 20:57
+1

I think anyone who shoots regularly should stockpile some ammo, simply because ammo is getting more and more expensive. The government never needs to ban and confiscate guns. All you need to do is make the bullets they shoot more and more expensive and hard to get.

Besides the tin foil talk its a matter of economics. You like wearing thick gold chains, you should have bought gold sooner. You like gas guzzling diesel trucks you should have bough your fuel when gas was cheap.

Got that covered,we have plenty of all types of fuel on hand.

In regards to SHTF, unless you are going to be handing out ammo to family, friend, and neighbors, having +10,000 rounds is useless. Figure how many rounds can you carry as a single person, like 11 mags of 30round AR or AK Mags. That is about 10 lb or more of ammo you are carrying on your body, and that does not include the weight of the rifle, your pistol, pisol ammo and other crap. Personally I would go lighter to move faster, but that is another issue. That is 330 rifle rounds total, that you would bring to a fight. For you to shoot go thru 1000 rounds of rifle ammo you would need to shoot yourself dry over 3 times carrying more ammo than what most soldiers carry. For 5000 that is over 15, and for 10,000 that is over 30 times you shot all your ammo dry.

As ta "mag" issues,I carry stripper clips.

So unless your are the bastard son of John Rambo and Sarah Connor if you fight alone when the SHTF, you will die, get captured, or get forced out of your home(where you keep the ammo stash) well before you run thru 10,000 rounds of ammo.

Well over that amount,ammo can be used as barter as well.'08.

ashecht
08-17-2012, 09:13
About 3k total in 9mm,.40, and .45

Pitt
08-19-2012, 16:01

You are so correct. Its sad really. I used to learn a lot here. :crying:

mad.gunsmith
08-20-2012, 04:31
my ideal number is to have a minimum of 1000 rounds per gun regress caliber

kirgi08
08-20-2012, 08:45
You are so correct. Its sad really. I used to learn a lot here. :crying:

We are outta ideas,everything has been hashed out.'08.

wjv
08-20-2012, 11:07

Most of us don't have 496 guns, like you do. :supergrin:

lawman800
08-20-2012, 11:48

496? That's just the ones under his bed.

Warp
08-20-2012, 13:11
my ideal number is to have a minimum of 1000 rounds per gun regress caliber

Even if one of those guns is a .22lr and the other is a .308 or .30-06?

wjv
08-20-2012, 14:39
Even if one of those guns is a .22lr and the other is a .308 or .30-06?

He said MINIMUM so I'd say yes! Though in my case it's 2,000 rounds minimum.

The ONLY 2 guns I don't have a couple thousand rounds for are my Mosin M44 (~500 rounds) bolt action, and my Marlin 444 (~300 rounds). Neither of which I view as a primary survival or combat weapon. . Unless herds of rogue wildebeest are part of the SHTF.

quake
08-20-2012, 15:28
Fair point. There are calibers I don't even have one thousand of; .32acp at least, and possibly .380 as well. Only .32acp I own anymore is a Kel-Tec, so the ~600 rounds or so is probably a lifetime's worth of that caliber; at least a lifetime for the gun if not for me.

Other calibers are different. Some calibers we shoot a bunch of, sometimes more than that 600 number in a single afternoon; so it just makes sense to keep more of those.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-20-2012, 18:29
Something many people don't seem to get.. just because I/you/we own a gun doesn't mean I/we/you need 10k rounds for it. I have Garands, M1A's and AR's and AK's.. a "few" of each. I am only going to take 1 with me if I have to leave, so I only NEED to stock up enough ammo for whichever I choose, and I certainly don't NEED 10k for each and every one.. 10k per caliber.. m a y b e..

I have, I don't know, 60-70 rounds of .270, started out with 100 about 20 years ago. I shoot 2-3 a year. I have enough to kill all the deer I will take with that rifle for the rest of my life. I have maybe 300 rounds of .357, again, started out with 500, 20 or so years ago.. I try to take a deer every year with my one and only S&W 686.. again, enough ammo to last the rest of my life. Several calibers like that.

LongGun1
08-21-2012, 00:01

I wish...LOL! :rofl:

But I do like the few I get to play with to be special..

..to me at least! :whistling:

A few pics I took last night of one rigged out as a DMR..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/SIG556rightfolded.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/SIG556top.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/LG1/SIG556leftside.jpg

SIG 556 Classic SWAT with folding/collapsing stock
EOTech 557 HWS with AR .223 Reticle
EOTech QD 4x Magnifier w/ Flip-To-Side Mount (FTS)
AAC SPR/M4 QD Suppressor
AAC Blackout 51T M.I.T.E.R. Mount
Flip up BUIS with adj peep
VLTOR Tango Down Rail mounted Bipods
Magpul Maglevel Magazine w/Ranger Floorplate
Scopecoat Scope cover
Custom 4 position Gas Adj (2 suppressed & 2 OEM)

BR549
08-21-2012, 08:55
If I wanted to carry something that heavy...I'd choose something with a larger diameter and longer case...

Nice choice of BUIS FWIW...IIWITIS.

LongGun1
08-21-2012, 09:34
If I wanted to carry something that heavy...I'd choose something with a larger diameter and longer case...

Nice choice of BUIS FWIW...IIWITIS.

Too bad you were not being asked...nor will you ever be! :rofl:

And you have been asked repeatedly not to comment on my posts..

..& I would return the favor.

While I value the opinions of many here & sometimes seek them out..

..the polar opposite goes for trolls, cyberstalkers, pathological liars..

..especially a mixture of all three! :whistling:

BR549
08-21-2012, 09:43
:panties:

Ewwww....so sensitive....

over a little comment about the weight of your great....

... and awesome firearms....and accessories.............

:yawn:

wjv
08-21-2012, 10:48
..the polar opposite goes for trolls, cyberstalkers, pathological liars..

..especially a mixture of all three! :whistling:

You met my in-laws? :dunno:

kirgi08
08-21-2012, 11:39
:animlol:

Big Bird
08-21-2012, 11:43
In the words of Rudyard Kipling there are three things a man can never have too much of:

Ammunition
Good Wine
Good Books

LongGun1
08-21-2012, 13:09
You met my in-laws? :dunno:

My condolences! :tongueout: :rofl: :supergrin:

LongGun1
08-21-2012, 14:38
:panties:

Ewwww....so sensitive....

over a little comment about the weight of your great....

... and awesome firearms....and accessories.............

:yawn:

No....very secure in what & why of my selections..

..and if someone whose opinion I value..

..or even someone who I did not know made the same comment....politely & honestly...

..no problem discussing the logic behind what & why.

But trolls, cyberstalkers & pathological liars..

..their snide comments & dishonest opinions (like themselves) simply have no relevance in otherwise honest conversations between men of character!

The fact that some cyberstalkering troll may be too friggin puny to ride my steed or carry my Claymore...

..what possible interest could it have to me! :rofl:

Relevance.....what a concept! :wavey:

Warp
08-21-2012, 14:47
There's an ignore feature for a reason.

It's for people who don't have the self control to ignore on their own.

I've used the feature before.

It isn't a bad idea.

LongGun1
08-21-2012, 15:06
There's an ignore feature for a reason.

It's for people who don't have the self control to ignore on their own.

I've used the feature before.

It isn't a bad idea.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

A roach in my view is simply begging for the bottom of my shoe! ;)

And IME...

..ignoring vermin is just asking for an infestation of vermin! :upeyes:

That being said...

..I will try the ignore feature out for awhile!

Irrelevant.... & ignored.... :rofl: :supergrin:

BR549
08-21-2012, 16:07
No....very secure in what & why of my selections..

If so secure, you wouldn’t have become so upset and respond with the bully-tude and victim complex.

..and if someone whose opinion I value..

..or even someone who I did not know made the same comment....politely & honestly...

..no problem discussing the logic behind what & why.

But trolls, cyberstalkers & pathological liars..

..their snide comments & dishonest opinions (like themselves) simply have no relevance in otherwise honest conversations between men of character!

..and the reason I post dissenting opinions of people’s choices and conclusions is because..

…they are often lacking in logic... and reasoning…and relevance…

…nothing snide or dishonest about my comments and opinions…

..you cannot discuss anything relevant about the “how to” and “why” when confronted with real logic and reasoning…

…often you take good products, materials, etc….

And apply them in a way that gets you “punked” here…

…then instead of discussion… you become angry, call names, play the victim, and bully…

…such as your next comments…

The fact that some cyberstalkering troll may be too friggin puny to ride my steed or carry my Claymore...

..what possible interest could it have to me! :rofl:

Oh yeah, here comes the big bully and the big BS crying as a victim.

So what if I’m not as tall or heavy as you claim to be.

I’d enjoy seeing your “steed” in person and have you attempt to follow me on a ride.

Your “steed” has a de-tuned motor and is overweight, i.e. SLOW, mostly because of its rider and its rider’s illogical heap of paraphernalia.

Offer still stands to race or just ride……..

Claymore….ooooooo……aaaaahhhhhh……

Relevance.....what a concept! :wavey:

The basic gun is 8.2lbs plus the weight of all the other stuff you put on it.

It is heavy compared to others of similar purpose with no great gains in performance IMO.

If it’s so great, tell us why...

…such as “it has a piston…it was built is Europe…it has a folding

stock..the increase in weight is worth it because ________________....”

Quote:
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

A roach in my view is simply begging for the bottom of my shoe!

And IME...

..ignoring vermin is just asking for an infestation of vermin!

That being said...

..I will try the ignore feature out for awhile!

Irrelevant.... & ignored....

Oh no….the bully is gonna blah, blah, blah….

Blah..blah…blah…blah….blah

Glockdude1
08-21-2012, 16:12
Every month I have a little bit more........

:supergrin:

Warp
08-21-2012, 16:38
Blah..blah…blah…blah….blah

blah blah blah