Reloading professionally? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Reloading professionally?

Batesmotel
08-06-2012, 21:53
I have an acquaintance who wants to start a reloading business. I don't think he is aware of the requirements to do so.

What FFL and other requirements are there on the federal level?

Not even getting into state, county, local, zoning, business license, insurance Etc. at this time.

Just the federal. I looked on line but all I found were conflicting opinions.

country85
08-06-2012, 23:03
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/manufacturers.html

Hope this helps, just have him call the Local ATF office, and set up a meeting if he's serious about it. As long as you call them up and ask questions BEFORE you do something that may need a FFL, they are usually very helpful

fredj338
08-06-2012, 23:27
Been there & done that. Unless you really, really know what you are doing, you are going to be rolling the liabilty dice. Unless you are prepared to shell out quite a bit on high end equip, it's tough to make much money reloading ammo IMO.

freakshow10mm
08-06-2012, 23:49
I have an acquaintance who wants to start a reloading business. I don't think he is aware of the requirements to do so.

What FFL and other requirements are there on the federal level?
Type 06 FFL $30 for three years

Also need to register with the US State Department as a manufacturer of "defensive articles" per ITAR. No joke and it applies to even the little guys banging out reloads on a Dillon at home part time. Runs $2,750 per year registration fee.

Not a requirement, but liability insurance runs $2,100 per year. He's looking at $4,860 annually for the paperwork plus whatever local and state stuff if anything.

Just the federal. I looked on line but all I found were conflicting opinions.
Lot of people think they know, but it's best to talk to people that have actually done it or are currently doing it. If he wants a dose of reality from someone who is a commercial reloader, I can tell him what he's looking at getting himself into on the business side of things.

Adam