glockman66
08-06-2012, 22:20
The Obama Admin. and the DoJ strike another blow for ecology. :rofl::rofl:

http://www.examiner.com/article/gibson-guitars-hit-with-300-000-fine-by-justice
Gibson Guitars hit with $300,000 fine by Justice
Gibson Guitars
August 6, 2012
By: Anthony Martin

.."Tensions between Gibson and the Obama administration reached a fever pitch earlier in the year when it was announced that Justice would go as far as to intercept at the border musicians on their way to perform in Canada or Mexico, seizing their guitars due to the fact that they supposedly had been made with "illegal wood."..

fortyofforty
08-07-2012, 04:49
Our nation is preserved. We can attack "illegal" wood but won't fight illegal aliens. Wood can't vote.

eracer
08-07-2012, 04:54
Did Obama sign the bill that become law? You know, the Lacey Act?

No...that was McKinley, in 1900.

JFrame
08-07-2012, 05:35

I think partly at issue here are the laws that the Obama administration feels compelled to enforce. Illegal wood for guitars -- bad. Illegal immigration or voter intimidation at polling stations -- eh, not so much.

The sense I'm getting from that Examiner article is that Gibson did NOT violate the Lacey Act.

Bren
08-07-2012, 05:56
Our nation is preserved. We can attack "illegal" wood but won't fight illegal aliens. Wood can't vote.

You hit that nail on the head.

The case against Gibson was idiotic - best I recall, they bought wood from a legal source and were being held responsible for some third party in Africa or South America got it from the wrong place. Apparently the enviro-nut laws hold them responsible for the wood all the way back to its source, when they buy from a wholesaler.

Bren
08-07-2012, 05:57

Yet it somehow took 110 years for anybody to apply it in this way....:upeyes:

If I go out and start arresting political protestors for disorderly conduct, the fact that our disorderly conduct statute was enacted in 1975 doesn't change my responsibility for its use.

DOC44
08-07-2012, 06:11
Gibson Guitars is a small business..... how many do they employ?

Doc44

automatic slim
08-07-2012, 06:59
The government can pry my 1926 L-1 out of my cold, dead hands.....:steamed:

PawDog
08-07-2012, 07:02
Gibson Guitars is a small business..... how many do they employ?

Doc44

The issue was that they are a non-union business. That's why the attacks began.

automatic slim
08-07-2012, 07:11
The issue was that they are a non-union business. That's why the attacks began.

Yes, and they don't support the democrat machine, unlike their competitor Martin. The wood came from India, purchased legally, with no problem from the Indian gov't. "Shakedown" is the perfect word to describe this thuggery.

JFrame
08-07-2012, 07:12
Yes, and they don't support the democrat machine, unlike their competitor Martin. The wood came from India, purchased legally, with no problem from the Indian gov't. "Shakedown" is the perfect word to describe this thuggery.

...And "thuggery" is the perfect word to describe the Obama administration.

Brucev
08-07-2012, 07:18
Law enforcement is selective, regardless of the administration. Law enforcement is politically driven, regardless of the administration. To suppose that law enforcement and justice have anything to do with right and wrong is simply an exercise in ignorance and frustration. In this case, a corrupt gansta administration utilizes the doj as a weapon to strike out legally at Gibson. It's no different than when klinton used the irs to strike out at his political enemies. It is the same with politicians using the police and courts to limit the free speech rights of those with whom they disagree, be they protesters of abortion, war, etc. There is no difference. The entire process is selective and political.