finally had my first run in with police while carrying... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : finally had my first run in with police while carrying...

rudeguy
08-07-2012, 05:59
I was coming back home from doing some grocery shopping on Saturday night (I know, exciting life I live). I managed to run a red light and of course the one time this happens there is a cop sitting right there. I knew I was getting stopped before the cop did :)

So I get blue lighted and I pull over into a very well lit parking lot. I chose this instead of the nearer driveway that wasn't very well lit at all. I wanted him to be able to see every move I made....I don't like having guns pointed at me.

After I pulled over the only movement I made was to turn my interior lights on. After that I left my hands on the wheel and didn't move them. When the officer approached he asked me for my paperwork. Keeping with Michigan law I very calmly stated, "I'll be happy to grab that. But I do need to make you aware that I have a CPL and I am carrying." This was the point where I was pretty scared. I really, really don't like having guns pointed at me and I didn't want to do anything to put myself in that situation. The cop was very calm and polite, however right after I said that his hand did move to his gun. He asked where I was carrying and I informed him my right hip. He asked where my wallet was and I informed him right back pocket. He was completely professional and told me to reach slowly for my wallet and simply kept his flashlight on my hand. He collected my paperwork including my CPL and did his thing.

I thought for sure he would have asked to hold my gun while we talked but he did not. He gave me my ticket (I earned it, I accept that) and thanked me for letting him know so soon about my CPL. We chatted for a minute about the dumb stuff people do when they get pulled over while carrying. Of course the whole time he had his hand on his gun, which I don't blame him for.

Very smooth and professional.

JW1178
08-07-2012, 06:30
That's how it is suppose to go.

I don't know exactly how birthday's and Christmas is celebrated in a LEO's home but I know they don't like surprises.

Stevekozak
08-07-2012, 06:35
Glad you had a non-eventful stop.

RussP
08-07-2012, 06:46
He needs to stop resting his hand on his pistol. It puts downward pressure on his duty belt which his back muscles compensate for, which can lead to lower back issues later. It's a habit and problem lots of cops have.

Other than that, what kind of "dumb stuff people do when they get pulled over while carrying" did y'all talk about?

Brucev
08-07-2012, 06:59
"I managed to run a red light." Managed?

redbaron007
08-07-2012, 07:11
...snip...

Other than that, what kind of "dumb stuff people do when they get pulled over while carrying" did y'all talk about?

My question too.

This is hilarious! Did the OP tell the light to go red so he could run it? :rofl: I've never managed to run a red light....I've always DONE it by choice! :tongueout:

Glad it went well for you OP! :supergrin:

:wavey:

red

fuzzy03cls
08-07-2012, 08:34
So you didn't get dragged through the window, smacked to the pavement proned out & cuffed?

Guess that only happens to me :rofl:

Adjuster
08-07-2012, 08:43
When the officer approached my vehicle I would have calmly attempted to drive off and run over his foot. Its the only way to handle these types of situations.

/

Glock_9mm
08-07-2012, 08:56

Based on the title of his thread, I think it was planned out! :supergrin:
Scott

BuzznRose
08-07-2012, 09:01
I'm not a cop, but to me, it seems totally illogical for a cop to be overly concerned about the guy/gal who comes right out with "I have a CHL and am carrying.".

First, you were up front honest. Second, folks who have permits are, by default, law abiding citizens.

Guess I have not walked a mile in LEO shoes, but the guy who doesn't say they have a weapon is the one I'd be more worried about.

Side note, I had a friend get stopped for speeding recently. He handed the cop his lisence and CHL card. Officer asked if he was carrying and friend said "no, I mainly carry only on long trips". Cop asks my friend if he practices with his gun. Friend replies he shoots a couple time a month and has been shooting for years..why? Cop replies something to the effect "you should carry whenever you can...you never know when I may need your help."

I thought that story kinda odd until I read about the trailer park incident last week....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

rudeguy
08-07-2012, 09:09

Some jerk cut me off and decided to go 25 in a 45. I changed lanes to get around him and didn't notice the light turning yellow until I couldn't stop without having a week's worth of groceries fly at my head.

My fault for not just slowing down behind the guy.

Being Saturday night, it wouldn't be uncommon for that guy to be a drunk. I haven't touched alcohol in years. But I end up driving like a moron because I didn't want to be behind slow, probably drunk guy.

My fault 100% and I didn't even bring it up to the cop.

coachrowsey
08-07-2012, 10:06
Based on the op if I were still in le & I was the officer I wouldn't have written ticket. We would've just had a "chat".

jph02
08-07-2012, 10:17
...I knew I was getting stopped before the cop did :)...

Very smooth and professional.

Glad you had a non-eventful stop.
This.

When the officer approached my vehicle I would have calmly attempted to drive off and run over his foot. Its the only way to handle these types of situations.:rofl:

CA Escapee
08-07-2012, 12:09
Based on the title of his thread, I think it was planned out! :supergrin:
Scott

"Finally had my first run in with the police while carrying"

The first thing that crossed my mind when I read the title of the OP was, "Well, you weren't trying very hard now were you?" :supergrin:

Glad it went well for you.

Bill

RyanNREMTP
08-07-2012, 14:38
Did the officer have his hat on?

Outhouse Hub, the misinformation solution.

757CC
08-07-2012, 17:05
So you didn't get dragged through the window, smacked to the pavement proned out & cuffed?

Guess that only happens to me :rofl:

Nope, your not alone! Happened to me too in NC

rvrctyrngr
08-07-2012, 17:10
Based on the op if I were still in le & I was the officer I wouldn't have written ticket. We would've just had a "chat".

I probably would not have either. Attitude is everything. Unfortunately, some departments do not allow for very much officer discretion.

To the OP, glad you had an uneventful stop...as it should be. :thumbsup:

Misty02
08-07-2012, 17:19
He needs to stop resting his hand on his pistol. It puts downward pressure on his duty belt which his back muscles compensate for, which can lead to lower back issues later. It's a habit and problem lots of cops have.

I have been observing carefully lately and I am seeing most officers approach the driver’s side of vehicles with their hand on the grip, not with a full grip, but retention strap removed and hand right on it. Then again, I am in Miami and a firearm is expected in every vehicle, the only difference being some being legal and the others not.

ETA: Oops, forgot... I’m glad it was an uneventful stop for you OP. :)

MikeLadner
08-07-2012, 17:31
I'm not a cop, but to me, it seems totally illogical for a cop to be overly concerned about the guy/gal who comes right out with "I have a CHL and am carrying.".

First, you were up front honest. Second, folks who have permits are, by default, law abiding citizens.

Guess I have not walked a mile in LEO shoes, but the guy who doesn't say they have a weapon is the one I'd be more worried about.

Side note, I had a friend get stopped for speeding recently. He handed the cop his lisence and CHL card. Officer asked if he was carrying and friend said "no, I mainly carry only on long trips". Cop asks my friend if he practices with his gun. Friend replies he shoots a couple time a month and has been shooting for years..why? Cop replies something to the effect "you should carry whenever you can...you never know when I may need your help."

I thought that story kinda odd until I read about the trailer park incident last week....

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Food for thought: Maybe the guy is wanted for something (maybe he just beat his wife, maybe he has a warrant for an unpaid ticket, etc) and doesn't want to do anything to draw unwanted attention to himself, like NOT telling the officer he's armed (especially if he's required to), thereby escalating the situation. Maybe the beaten wife hasn't called the cops yet.... or won't call the cops, to say "look for Mr. XXX he just assaulted me and left in XXXX" Driver doesn't really know what kind of info the officer has. For instance, we don't know warrant status unless it's listed on NCIC, unless we conduct a local warrants check.

As far as officers wanting to know where the gun is, if you have a gun, etc, and keeping our hands near their gun when we find out you have a gun... again, how do we know what just happened before we pulled you over?

Just because you passed a background check and don't have a violent history doesn't mean you didn't just rob a gas station, or shoot at someone in a fit of road rage, which is what, in my opinion, too many people get caught up on: "He/she passed the background and is law abiding." Just because someone passes a background check and is normally law abiding doesn't mean they're not going off the deep end because they just lost their job and are about to lose their home and car, and decide to take it out on the cop because a speeding ticket is just the icing on the cake.

In no way is this an attempt to disrespect you or your opinion, just some food for thought from one street cop's opinion.

Best Regards!

rudeguy
08-07-2012, 17:38
dang it all...I forgot how many cops post here.

I feel obligated to defend the cop. My ticket was for DWLS, he gave me a warning on the light.

I had a drinking problem years ago and racked up some DUI's. They revoked my license 5 years ago but 2 years ago I got my restricted back. I had an interlock device installed and everything was groovy. I was ordered to have it for a year but 8 months into having it, I had a blowout on the highway. I had to have my car towed and apparently the tow truck guy set off the unit. He didn't blow hot, he just didn't blow hard enough. This was in October. In February I received notice from the court that I had received a major violation on the blow and go and that I had to appeal it if I wanted to keep my license. I did the appeal, appeared, the hearing officer agreed that it was just an error and said she would reinstate me. But by this time it was April and she wanted me to do another 12 months on the blow and go.

I kept at it but then I took a massive paycut at work and just couldn't afford the thing. Finally my car broke down and I just didn't have the money to transfer it to another car. So knowing that I was breaking the law, I continued to drive in my new car without the blow and go. Because I didn't report for 4 months, they revoked me again.

So the cop did his job. This was 100% my fault.

/confession

MikeLadner
08-07-2012, 17:41
Ah. Smooth.

boomhower
08-07-2012, 22:28
Did he let you drive off? If so I think your attitude got you more than you think. Around here DWLR often ends up in being bonded. It's amazing what a good attitude and being straight forward will get you.

RussP
08-08-2012, 05:52
I have been observing carefully lately and I am seeing most officers approach the driverís side of vehicles with their hand on the grip, not with a full grip, but retention strap removed and hand right on it. Then again, I am in Miami and a firearm is expected in every vehicle, the only difference being some being legal and the others not.

ETA: Oops, forgot... Iím glad it was an uneventful stop for you OP. :)

.I was just kidding about the downward pressure being a contributing factor to officer wellness.

You are correct. Having a one or two steps advantage is better for officer wellness.

rudeguy
08-08-2012, 06:30
Did he let you drive off? If so I think your attitude got you more than you think. Around here DWLR often ends up in being bonded. It's amazing what a good attitude and being straight forward will get you.

He informed me that he had to tell me not to drive. He then told me that I'm a grown man and can make my own decisions. He told me to wait until he drove off to make my decision.

RussP
08-08-2012, 06:59
Other than that, what kind of "dumb stuff people do when they get pulled over while carrying" did y'all talk about?Care to comment on what y'all talked about?

rudeguy
08-08-2012, 19:54
Care to comment on what y'all talked about?

Mostly people waiting too long to tell him they are carrying.
People "forgetting" to tell him they are carrying.

Our law is very specific. You have to disclose your CPL and that you are carrying immediately upon being stopped by a police officer. I take that to mean it should be the first sentence out of my mouth. Apparently some people prefer to wait until they are ready. I don't know if I mentioned it, but I really don't like having guns pointed at me so I am going to do everything possible to make that cop feel safe.

RyanBDawg
08-08-2012, 20:01
I have had to tell a cop I was carrying about three times. Every time after that they simply said "ok" and that was pretty much the end of it.

Granted I have only had an experience while carrying with a cop at a roadblock twice, and once because I backed into a fire hydrant that was low to the ground, at about 3 mph.. This was in a college town and some cops happened to be doing foot patrol. Naturally they thought I was drunk, but after looking at me for about 5 seconds I think they figured out I was sober and went on their way.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Paul53
08-09-2012, 18:11
I managed to run a gas station once. All I got was 5 cents over minimum wage.:dunno:

wuvmyglock
08-09-2012, 18:14
I always try to make it a point to carry my wallet on the side opposite my Glock.. Personal preference I guess..