Check this out! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Check this out!

okie
08-07-2012, 06:59
This freaks me out big time. One of my brothers e mailed me yesterday and told this story. We lived in Meade KS (Southwest KS) One time my parental units and some of my older brothers went to Wichita, when the weather was nice we would have picnics rather than eat out so dad would save money. On the way home they stopped just outside Kingman for a picnic lunch, whilst they were eating an 18 wheeler pulled into the rest area, my brother, Ken who was 8 at the time loved 18 wheelers more than anything and he ran over to have a look see. The truck driver talked with, Ken for a minute and said it appears that you love trucks, and that you all are going the same direction as me, would you like to ride with me to Greensburg(which is an hour away) Ken went and asked dad and he let him ride with the guy. I know the 60's was a whole different Ara but to let you 8 year old son ride with a complete stranger is kinda out there:alex: Thankfully nothing happened and Ken enjoyed the hell out of that ride:supergrin:

M&P Shooter
08-07-2012, 07:30
OMG what the hell:shocked: Not in a million years and I would ask the truck driver WTF would he even ask that:steamed: I just got chills up my back thinking of how wrong that could have went:crying:

Toyman
08-07-2012, 09:34
whilst they were eating an 18 wheeler

Wow, they must have been hungry. LOL

Bushflyr
08-07-2012, 10:35
There are no more nut cases out there now than there were in the past. The media fear mongers just make it seem like there are.

devildog2067
08-07-2012, 10:38
There are no more nut cases out there now than there were in the past. The media fear mongers just make it seem like there are.

I'd caveat that slightly--the proportion of nutbags isn't any different, but there are more of them now because there are more people in the US now.

But yeah, no way in hell I'd let a random truck driver drive my kid.

janice6
08-07-2012, 11:04
When I was in Jr. High school I used to hitch hike some weekends. I did this for fun. Never had a destination in mind, and after one day I would go to the other side of the road and start back.

I have had rides with regular people, Highway Patrol (don't tell), OTR truck drivers and city cops (don't tell).

I never had a bad, or even a worrisome experience with any of them. I especially like to ride with the truckers through the river valleys and watching them constantly shifting the manual. I learned about multi speed axles and how to double clutch.

This was in the 50's and everybody I rode with was a gentleman and kind to a stranger. We never heard bad stories about hitchhikers back then. Still, some people didn't like it.

I never was picked up by a female. Even then, they had reason to be cautious.

I had parts of road that was so deserted that the HP picked me up and took me down the road a ways, where I could more easily pick up a ride.

Those were good people and good times.

Mr.Pliskin
08-08-2012, 06:20
WOW...Just be glad he wasn't fascinated with ice cream trucks.

okie
08-08-2012, 06:57
WOW...Just be glad he wasn't fascinated with ice cream trucks.

That's the truth my friend:alex::rofl:

okie
08-08-2012, 06:58

Coma's are a useful thing, huh my friend:embarassed::rofl:

BuckeyePPC
08-08-2012, 07:07
Coma's are a useful thing, huh my friend:embarassed::rofl:

Okie,

I think you meant comma's but I like yours better. :supergrin:

Dennis in MA
08-08-2012, 08:18
"Eetz not a comah!" :rofl:

But back to the topic at hand:
"Do you like Gladiator movies?"

We lived in a more innocent time.

M&P15T
08-08-2012, 08:37
Yeah, the media has got people freaked out.

Back in my day, when walking to school through the Ford Engineering complex, sometimes random people would offer us kids a ride, and we never hesitated to accept.

Different days now, too much paranoia, and human relationships are being strained because of it. I can think of really neat people I met as a kid in my neighborhood, because walking up to a "stranger" (neighbor) was no big deal. I met one of the technical editors for Car & Driver magazines that lived at the end of my block, who was later killed doing a top-speed test in an AMG Mercedes.

Now, with the news and other media outlets distributing fear-mongering to sell advertising, everyone is afraid of everyone else. You can see that a lot here, nooooo trust what-so-ever, lots of negativity about other people in general.

devildog2067
08-08-2012, 08:43
Back in my day, when walking to school through the Ford Engineering complex, sometimes random people would offer us kids a ride, and we never hesitated to accept.

And every once in a while one of you kids would disappear... just sayin'.

There weren't, and still aren't, a lot of sickos out there, relatively speaking... but there have always been some.

M&P15T
08-08-2012, 09:05
And every once in a while one of you kids would disappear... just sayin'.

There weren't, and still aren't, a lot of sickos out there, relatively speaking... but there have always been some.

No different than any other time in this country's history. Just a certain percentage of the population.

No reason, other than the media, for the rampant paranoia one sees today.

Conservative gun lovers are just as apt to throw out the "it's for the CHILDREN" card, as liberals. Just too much paranoia all around.

gigab1te
08-08-2012, 09:11
If my older brothers had been along on that trip, they would have figured out a way to get me on a truck going the opposite direction!

okie
08-09-2012, 06:44
Okie,

I think you meant comma's but I like yours better. :supergrin:

I need help, huh:embarassed::rofl:

okie
08-09-2012, 06:46
"Eetz not a comah!" :rofl:

But back to the topic at hand:
"Do you like Gladiator movies?"

We lived in a more innocent time.

Haven't seen any Gladiator movies my friend:embarassed:

Peace Warrior
08-09-2012, 06:47
"boy, I wasn't tryin to teach you how to swim" comes to mind.

Also, "breaker breaker, is anyone there, come on back and talk to teddy bear."

The guy might get put on a secual offender list just for asking a question like that nowadays Okie!

okie
08-09-2012, 07:03
"boy, I wasn't tryin to teach you how to swim" comes to mind.

Also, "breaker breaker, is anyone there, come on back and talk to teddy bear."

The guy might get put on a secual offender list just for asking a question like that nowadays Okie!

Good possibility my friend:shocked::faint:

SC Tiger
08-09-2012, 08:43
This freaks me out big time. One of my brothers e mailed me yesterday and told this story. We lived in Meade KS (Southwest KS) One time my parental units and some of my older brothers went to Wichita, when the weather was nice we would have picnics rather than eat out so dad would save money. On the way home they stopped just outside Kingman for a picnic lunch, whilst they were eating an 18 wheeler pulled into the rest area, my brother, Ken who was 8 at the time loved 18 wheelers more than anything and he ran over to have a look see. The truck driver talked with, Ken for a minute and said it appears that you love trucks, and that you all are going the same direction as me, would you like to ride with me to Greensburg(which is an hour away) Ken went and asked dad and he let him ride with the guy. I know the 60's was a whole different Ara but to let you 8 year old son ride with a complete stranger is kinda out there:alex: Thankfully nothing happened and Ken enjoyed the hell out of that ride:supergrin:

Even in the 60s that is a bit much, but times were different back then. I don't know if there were fewer child predators, if we just didn't know about them, or if they tended to wind up in shallow graves more often.

tsmo1066
08-09-2012, 10:32
Wow! Bad move all the way around, and not just from the perspective of the kid's safety.

If the trucker's company found out he was giving joy rides on the highway to random 8 year-olds they'd likely fire him, and even if he works for himself, the potential legal (even criminal!) liability you open yourself up to by allowing a complete stranger to leave their 8 year-old alone with you in a vehicle for several hours is mind-blowing.

As they say, the accusation of impropriety ALONE can destroy your life, and setting yourself up in a situation like that is an act of monumental stupidity.

Glock20 10mm
08-09-2012, 10:38

This.

Batesmotel
08-09-2012, 11:52

You should have seen what Okie and I did to the buffet at the Rio in Vegas. :rofl: King Crabs fear us!