Roller Coasters and other such jar-producing rides [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Roller Coasters and other such jar-producing rides

UtahIrishman
08-07-2012, 08:45
My daughter has invited me to go to Lagoon, which for those not in Utah is a roller-coaster ride park with a lot of different gut-lurching rides :cool:

I have a G19 that I carry in a Com-Tac MTAC IWB holster, which I plan on carrying but I'm a bit concerned about retention on some of these rides. The MTAC has no retention strap but holds quite well under normal circumstances.

Anyone have any experience carrying in such situations?

eaglefrq
08-07-2012, 08:49
http://www.lagoonpark.com/parkInfo/guestPolicies

Agree that you are subject to search. Firearms, knives, and other weapons as determined by Lagoon are prohibited.

If this is the same place, you aren't allowed to carry on their property. I had to research this when I went to Kings Dominion in VA.

UtahIrishman
08-07-2012, 09:31
http://www.lagoonpark.com/parkInfo/guestPolicies

Agree that you are subject to search. Firearms, knives, and other weapons as determined by Lagoon are prohibited.

If this is the same place, you aren't allowed to carry on their property. I had to research this when I went to Kings Dominion in VA.

That's the same place. I thought they were just local here in Utah.

After I posted I began thinking about the safety issue if my gun went flying on a ride. That's not something I'd want to even think about dealing with. :faint:

I'll leave it in the truck

jpa
08-07-2012, 10:14
I agree with leaving it in the truck (in a lockbox of some sort of course). Riding a roller coaster isn't very fun with a heavy hunk of metal constantly jamming your in the hip.

8DuckCaller
08-07-2012, 12:25
Knew this fine female once. Lots of ups and downs, 360 turns, screaming, moans, BUT I never lost control of my weapon!!:faint:

fuzzy03cls
08-07-2012, 13:29
Check into whether that parks "rules" are enforceable by LE. May just be their rules & if your discovered your asked to leave.

I have carried at Disney's magic kingdom & rode all the rides with my G27 IWB. I was fine.
Granted they don't have anything too extreme, like upside down twisting. I wouldn't carry on one of those roller coasters.

UtahIrishman
08-07-2012, 17:20
Check into whether that parks "rules" are enforceable by LE. May just be their rules & if your discovered your asked to leave.

I have carried at Disney's magic kingdom & rode all the rides with my G27 IWB. I was fine.
Granted they don't have anything too extreme, like upside down twisting. I wouldn't carry on one of those roller coasters.

Here in Utah all they can do is ask you to leave.

The upside down twisty ones are the one's my daughter likes so...I'll stick with keeping it in the truck

cowboy1964
08-07-2012, 19:58
Yeah, go ahead and take a chance if the worst they can do to ya is give you a lifetime ban from their property.

ithaca_deerslayer
08-07-2012, 22:08
Up to you whether you carry, but I have been carrying for a couple decades and never lost a gun. Usually a kydex holster that kinda pinches tight around the trigger guard. Draw is pretty easy, just a slight tug upward.

I've downhill skied, horseback ridden, played soccer, biked, jogged, and ridden amusement park rides. The guns have never left their holsters.

youngdocglock
08-07-2012, 22:11
I usually use a Blackhawk leather beltslide with thumbstrap when i go on rollercoasters, rides real tight so it doesn't smash around, and it has both a thumbstrap, and retention screw............so its not coming out :-)

8DuckCaller
08-08-2012, 05:04
I admit I didn't remember the rules and guidelines for GT. I apologize if I offended anyone. I have read GT for years and find info very informative. I own 2 Glocks, a 19 and Gen 4 23, have Crossbreed holsters, research ammo suggestions on GT, and read daily. Again I am sincerely sorry.

rick458
08-08-2012, 15:00
How big are you, I don't fit in coasters and the such with my rigs

FireForged
08-08-2012, 16:25
......there are always going to be those activities where you should probably not be carrying a firearm. The "always armed" mantra sounds kool and all, but its just not always the best course (all things considered).

UtahIrishman
08-08-2012, 21:20
How big are you, I don't fit in coasters and the such with my rigs

I'm average in height and weight. I usually fit just about anywhere...

UtahIrishman
08-08-2012, 21:21
I admit I didn't remember the rules and guidelines for GT. I apologize if I offended anyone. I have read GT for years and find info very informative. I own 2 Glocks, a 19 and Gen 4 23, have Crossbreed holsters, research ammo suggestions on GT, and read daily. Again I am sincerely sorry.

No offense taken....it's all good :wavey:

fuzzy03cls
08-09-2012, 08:01
I don't fit in coasters and the such with my rigs
It was a little awkward sitting in a few I went on. I'm on the large side & the rides are not designed around having something at you 4'oclock while seated.

itstime
08-09-2012, 08:09
Leave it in the truck and enjoy yourself.

hockeyrcks9901
08-09-2012, 15:30
I've carried my G23 in a MTAC at Universal Studios and Busch Gardens on the roller coasters and never had a problem. It's usually around the 4 o'clock position.

I'm 5'10 and 250lbs. So overweight and the gun stayed just fine. Any of the rides that there were any loops on, the harness/lap bar holds you tightly against the seat back.

NEOH212
08-10-2012, 03:34
While I support and advocate being armed everywhere, there situations such as this, if one has to ask about a potential safety issue............:whistling:

Leave the gun in your vehicle while on the rides to be on the safe side. I'm not saying anything bad would happen and it probably wouldn't. However, I like to play it safe and when I'm even slightly uncertain, I would rather not than wish I didn't.

hockeyrcks9901
08-12-2012, 13:23
Just an update. I was just at Busch Gardens yesterday and carried all day through a few loops in roller coasters, etc. No issues.

UtahIrishman
08-12-2012, 13:40
It looks like the Lagoon trip has been cancelled. :sad:

But going to our State Fair in early September so I'll have an opportunity to go on a few rides there. Those probably won't be as warp-bending as Lagoon so I'll probably carry.

Thanks for the tips